Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
6.09%
13.04%
23.48%
17.39%
16.52%
8.70%
6.09%
3.48%
0%
0.87%
2.61%
What are you high?
1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I'm torn. I liked it well enough but didn't come close to loving it. I feel like that other than Kylo and Rey they didn't give me any characters to like, and I do feel like those 2 are great characters. It just didn't feel like a Star Wars movie. I was a "find this to get there and then find this..." type of video game. This will have more replay value than the other 2 for me probably but I'm not sure that's saying much.

They completely dropped the ball with Poe and Zorii. They could've used Russell to finally give us a reason to care about Poe but they didn't use her nearly enough and she added nothing to the story.
Old 12-22-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Abrams, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by tanman
Was he hitting on her or implying that she may be his daughter? Either way it came off as way creepy.
She was definitely his daughter in an earlier cut/draft. That leaked summary mentioned Lando had stayed on Pasaana after his daughter disappeared there as a child. The dialogue about the First Order harvesting the young to fill out their ranks seemed to be setting up this plot point with Lando, but they chose to cut any mention of his missing daughter.

I know Billy Dee Williams said in interviews (from years ago) that he wanted Lando to have a daughter in the sequel trilogy. Jannah is such an inconsequential character that I wonder if they only put her in the movie to make him happy.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-22-19 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-22-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 391 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
. I was a "find this to get there and then find this..." type of video game.
Isn't every movie of this genre like that? Endgame was very much the same.
Old 12-22-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 391 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The Falcon normally doesn’t skid to a landing. It hovers and descends.

It’s plainly visible that the Falcon is augered in and partially buried in the ground. And it left a long trail behind it.

Maybe originally there was a crash landing that they cut out and explained it away by adding the line about the landing gear being broken.
They mentioned the landing skids were damaged... not sure why that was even necessary as it had no bearing on the Falcon taking off again.
Old 12-22-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I’d bet any future stories with this cast/these characters would likely involve Finn, and will be some sort of Disney Plus deal. I think his story was the weakest throughout the trilogy, and I think Boyega will be happy for the work. He didn’t seem to break out like Ridley did, and the rest of the new cast are established, high demand actors.
Old 12-22-19, 09:43 AM

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I’d bet any future stories with this cast/these characters would likely involve Finn, and will be some sort of Disney Plus deal. I think his story was the weakest throughout the trilogy, and I think Boyega will be happy for the work.
Maybe not:

John Boyega Has No Interest in Doing ?Star Wars? Projects for Disney+ | Disney Plus, John Boyega, Star Wars : Just Jared

Speaking of Disney+, I would probably watch a Zorii Bliss series. I though Keri Russell made an impression, even with limited screen time and obscured behind a helmet. I'd be more down for that than the upcoming Cassian Andor show.
Old 12-22-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 460 Likes on 320 Posts

Saw it yesterday. I liked it enough. No real complaints from me. I mean, sure, it barreled forward without giving the audience any time to think about what was actually going on, and how the movie wasn't about anything and had no real meat on it's bones. But, again, sufficiently entertaining.

I'm of two minds about Palpatine - I do think it's lame that Rey is his granddaughter, BUT, he's suck a great fucking villain, and I'm okay with it if that's what it took to bring him back.
Old 12-22-19, 10:25 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

$176m opening weekend estimate. Bomb.
Old 12-22-19, 10:43 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 977 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Speaking of Disney+, I would probably watch a Zorii Bliss series. I though Keri Russell made an impression, even with limited screen time and obscured behind a helmet. I'd be more down for that than the upcoming Cassian Andor show.
her and Isaac had great chemistry on the Jimmy Kimmel special and she still looks so fucking good. i would see that show as well...
Old 12-22-19, 10:44 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Wow, they were still predicting 190-200 million weekend as of yesterday. That’s 50 million less than The Last Jedi opening. I really liked the film but nobody in my work was talking about it as only 1 co-worker saw it (he goes to every midnight screening Blockbusters).

I predicted 2 years ago that this would never make as much as Episode 8 but I wasn’t expecting this low an opening. It’s a shame cause this will hurt the movie more among casual fans just like Solo as the mixed reviews/bad box office/TLJ backlash will cause them to stay at home. I think Disney will really focus on Disney+ now as I don’t foresee any new movies for years.
Old 12-22-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can "Kiss" the Star Wars Empire goodbye, I saw it on Thursday night, will not go see it again.

Have always seen every SW movie from 1977 on at-least twice in the theater, one and done with this one.

Next time, I will wait for the "Audience Reviews" before I go see a SW Movie.
Old 12-22-19, 11:08 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Negative reviews with no examples annoy me.
Old 12-22-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,009 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Originally Posted by coli
Wow, they were still predicting 190-200 million weekend as of yesterday. That’s 50 million less than The Last Jedi opening. I really liked the film but nobody in my work was talking about it as only 1 co-worker saw it (he goes to every midnight screening Blockbusters).

I predicted 2 years ago that this would never make as much as Episode 8 but I wasn’t expecting this low an opening. It’s a shame cause this will hurt the movie more among casual fans just like Solo as the mixed reviews/bad box office/TLJ backlash will cause them to stay at home. I think Disney will really focus on Disney+ now as I don’t foresee any new movies for years.
Wow. That’s pretty bad. I said before if this doesn’t make more than TLJ then I consider it a failure. Sure it’ll make money but every other third movie in a Star Wars trilogy made more than the second but not quite as much as the first.

My personal opinion is that TLJ did more to hurt the brand then previously thought.
Old 12-22-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

Next time, I will wait for the "Audience Reviews" before I go see a SW Movie.
RT Audience Score is 86%.
Old 12-22-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,218 Likes on 936 Posts

It will hold well this week. There's nothing else out there.
Old 12-22-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,938 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Cats is out there, damnit! Cats!
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (12-22-19)
Old 12-22-19, 12:11 PM

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,191 Posts

Wow. So this could end up being a similar BO path as Rogue One. Not a bad take by regular means, but not what I think they expected the "final" saga chapter of one the biggest franchises ever would be.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (12-22-19)
Old 12-22-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

The box office results on these Disney Star Wars films have been interesting. TFA did far better than I ever imagined it could. Even my mom went to that one and I don’t know that she had been to one since the original. Then Rogue One did incredible business for what I figured was of limited interest to mass audiences, making it seem like the sky was the limit.

Last Jedi was about the only one that seemed to make sense and follow the patterns from the prior trilogies with strong results even with the bad feedback from some.

Solo did worse than I ever thought possible for a Star Wars. And it's too early to gauge Rise, but I am surprised it fell this much on opening weekend.
Old 12-22-19, 01:12 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Theory (that I’m not even sure I believe):

General audiences love the original stars and their characters. Luke, Leia, Han. Hamill, Fischer, Ford. That’s what they came to TFA for. When TFA failed to bring all three together they were disappointed. With Han killed off and the real Carrie Fischer sadly passing away and TLJ failing to bring the three characters together and instead killing off Luke, audiences know that this film can’t deliver what they really want: A fun adventure featuring all our old stars together at last.
Old 12-22-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

3 out 5 stars. Had low expectations but thought Rey/Kylo/Poe/Finn are good characters that mesh well together and old characters like Lando/Chewie/3PO were effective. Ultimately though the Emperor being alive was a failure and making Rey a Palpatine was even worse so can only give it a marginal recommendation. That scene with Poe apologizing to everybody was real good and liked Rey on Tatooineat at the end. Since Rey considers herself a Skywalker now at the end don't know why they felt they had to give her the Palpatine lineage. Really can't get over how bad all the Palpatine stuff was.
Old 12-22-19, 01:58 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, and will probably hold better than TLJ. Not sure it will outgross TLJ, but it will be close I think.
Old 12-22-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,179 Likes on 918 Posts

One thing that might help is there’s not a lot of really huge movies upcoming for a while. Still I’m sure Disney is disappointed with that opening weekend number.
Old 12-22-19, 02:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewCrew
Really can't get over how bad all the Palpatine stuff was.
That’s a fair critique as my friend hated the movie as he was never sold on the Palpatine stuff. I think it comes down to either you suspend belief that Palpatine is back and go with the story, or you’re not going to like it,

i still don’t know what JJ could have done regarding a villain after Rian Johnson killed Snoke. Whether you liked Snoke or not, he was the villain. If JJ brings out some new super villain in Episode 9, then it would really come out from left field. Rian Johnson really put Episode 9 in a box after killing Snoke, so that’s why I went with the Palpatine story.
Old 12-22-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,179 Likes on 918 Posts

Palpatine is my biggest complaint too overall. I didn’t let that completely take away from my enjoyment, but I think Abrams is full of shit when he says that he was planned from the start. I just feel there needed to be an explanation for him being alive and also it takes away from the ending of Return of the Jedi and Vader/Anakin’s redemption.

I still think Plagueis should have been who Snoke turned out be.
Old 12-22-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
And it's too early to gauge Rise, but I am surprised it fell this much on opening weekend.
A 20% drop from TLJ is disappointing. Being the wknd before Christmas is different compared to the others, and it'll likely make up some ground over it's run, but it'll most likely come in around 1.1 billion. A near 50% drop from the first film to the third in trilogy is still pretty damning... it means audiences did not respond well to the series as a whole. (the spinoffs also likely contributed to the attrition)

I'm hoping Disney still sticks to it's new trilogy plans (in 22, 24 and 26)...they didn't buy SW for it to just live on Disney+ forever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.