Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
17.57%
20.27%
27.03%
17.57%
6.76%
4.05%
4.05%
1.35%
1.35%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-19, 07:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Got my tix for Tuesday. Looking forward. Everything else be damned. I love QT.
Old 07-28-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mabuse
[LEFT]The movie isn’t really about a plot. It’s a sumptuous immersion into a place. The sights and sounds. The radio ads. The bus benches. I spent most of my time looking over the shoulders of the actors.
Ikr?

First time I saw it, I thought I caught a mistake. I saw a billboard ad for the movie Candy. I remember seeing the movie in the theater in 1972. Got home, looked it up, sure enough. The movie was released late 60s. I must've caught some re-release or something.
Old 07-28-19, 07:52 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I saw it twice over the weekend. Hated it the first time, felt a little warmer about it the second. But I am not a Tarantino fan so I guess that's to be expected.

BTW, everyone keeps talking about the total immersion into 1969 but the modern traffic lights took me out of that. (But that's not even close to my biggest complaint).

I did enjoy the soundtrack.
Old 07-28-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

The movie isn’t really about a plot. It’s a sumptuous immersion into a place. The sights and sounds. The radio ads. The bus benches. I spent most of my time looking over the shoulders of the actors.

It was less a movie and more like flipping through a scrapbook or having a virtual tour of the past.
...and that's why I said I wasn't that big of a fan of it. I prefer my movies to have plots.

Everyone should take the opinion of LA natives with a grain of salt, you knew they'd be sucking this movie's metaphorical dick
Old 07-28-19, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Personality I am a big fan of movies that are very specific about place and time regardless of whether I am exceptionally familiar with it or not.
Old 07-28-19, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan

BTW, everyone keeps talking about the total immersion into 1969 but the modern traffic lights took me out of that. (But that's not even close to my biggest complaint).
They looked like traffic lights looked like back then.
Old 07-28-19, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

^ Agreed. Makes wish I was around back then -- so much tail to be had. It was a classy time period. Granted, I'm sure if you were poor it sucked, but not as much as it does now.
Old 07-28-19, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Yeah the women were gorgeous 50 years ago, but I wouldn't want to be in that time period dealing with all that poor hippie white trash.
Old 07-28-19, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

50-cent acid dipped cigarettes is amazing! And back then they weren't malicious about poisoning you or your stash. Everyone just wanted a great buzz and that's what they got.
Old 07-29-19, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
"Don't cry in front of the Mexicans."
Best fucking quote of the film... and I was the only Mexican laughing.
Old 07-29-19, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
And how about Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen? Holy. Fucking. Shit. That was great.
Lewis never would have occurred to me, but, damn, that was amazing.

Old 07-29-19, 08:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Went to an early show yesterday and loved it. Leaving the theater, I was reminded of a Roger Ebert comment where he once said how amazing would it have been if a camera was placed on the streets of ancient Rome to simply film daily life and how entertaining that would have been. I'm not comparing ancient Rome to 1969 Los Angeles, but I could have watched the meandering exploits of Rick and Cliff all afternoon.

The scene where Cliff gets up on the roof in 2 quick leaps to fix Rick's antenna had me rolling. Also, would love to have that poster of Rick Dalton in that Sergio Corbucci spaghetti western.
Old 07-29-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Saw it this afternoon, and while I found it overall to be entertaining, I can't shake the feeling that this is the only time I'll watch it. No replay value for me. First Tarantino film I can say that about. I didn't like that the movie was essentially plot-less. At least it felt that way to me. Again, glad I watched it, enjoyed it, but don't expect to revisit it
Same here. In fact, I've heard quite a few people say they can't see themselves watching the movie again. To me, that tells me that the film is high on immersion, but low on real entertainment value. The movie spends forever at the ranch which no real pay off besides Tex showing up at the end. I actually dozed off during that bit.

Also, it was weird at the end to have the audience laughing at a woman getting her face bit off, smashed and then roasted with a flame thrower. I don't get the love for this movie. Loved the performances and it was cool seeing Emile Hirsch having a role in this. I also saw Hirsch as an actor very similar to Leo even in appearance.
Old 07-29-19, 11:15 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
...and that's why I said I wasn't that big of a fan of it. I prefer my movies to have plots.

Everyone should take the opinion of LA natives with a grain of salt, you knew they'd be sucking this movie's metaphorical dick
Jealousy is unbecoming.
Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32

Also, it was weird at the end to have the audience laughing at a woman getting her face bit off, smashed and then roasted with a flame thrower. I don't get the love for this movie. Loved the performances and it was cool seeing Emile Hirsch having a role in this. I also saw Hirsch as an actor very similar to Leo even in appearance.
I’m curious to hear more and more reactions to the ending. My assumption is that everyone knows the fallout from the Manson Murders. The events of that night cast a shadow over decades of life in California. The mishandling, the rescinding of the death sentence, the years of parole hearings, the behavior that Manson and Watson were allowed while incarcerated; it’s maddening. It was VERY cathartic to witness an alternate reality where this didn’t happen. When the title card slips in at the end and reminds us Once Upon A Time... it’s heartbreaking. A reminder that we must wake up from this fairytale and go back to the reality where (a) these crimes happened and (b) there was a furtherance of the crimes by allowing the guilty to fester and the story to never die.

But I suppose if you’re too young or lived distant from this the film might not have the same effect.
Old 07-29-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

I’m curious to hear more and more reactions to the ending. My assumption is that everyone knows the fallout from the Manson Murders. The events of that night cast a shadow over decades of life in California. The mishandling, the rescinding of the death sentence, the years of parole hearings, the behavior that Manson and Watson were allowed while incarcerated; it’s maddening. It was VERY cathartic to witness an alternate reality where this didn’t happen. When the title card slips in at the end and reminds us Once Upon A Time... it’s heartbreaking. A reminder that we must wake up from this fairytale and go back to the reality where (a) these crimes happened and (b) there was a furtherance of the crimes by allowing the guilty to fester and the story to never die.

I'd say you hit it right on the money. That's what I came away with after watching this and why I really enjoyed the ending.

As much as I love horror and mayhem, I would've walked out if we were going to see the Tate murders recreated. The alternate reality is much more satisfying, especially for us dog owners.

Old 07-29-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You would think that folks would get it, but this point is flying right over people's heads.

I've read quite a few reviews where they say that Tate is given nothing to do. I'm like, yeah, it's an uneventful day in her life. We see her packing a bag, listening to records, dancing, going to a party, sleeping, snoring, and catching a movie. We know how it ends in real life. QT knows this, as well, but he decided to freeze her in time and memorialize her in celluloid. It works perfectly especially when the "Once Upon A Time" font appears onscreen.
Old 07-29-19, 12:53 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

I had no problem with the way Tate's day was portrayed. In fact, I quite enjoyed her stuff in the film overall. I think it's a strange thing to question unless the person asking is genuinely unaware of the events leading up to the real-life murders.
Old 07-29-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Even beautiful women lead uninteresting and uneventful lives sometimes.
Old 07-29-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Same here. In fact, I've heard quite a few people say they can't see themselves watching the movie again. To me, that tells me that the film is high on immersion, but low on real entertainment value. The movie spends forever at the ranch which no real pay off besides Tex showing up at the end. I actually dozed off during that bit.

I thought the ranch scene was one of the best parts of the film. However, the loooong car drives is what bore me a little.
Old 07-29-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I thought the ranch scene was one of the best parts of the film. However, the loooong car drives is what bore me a little.
For me it was the Leo's guest starring gig. That scene went on FOREVER.
I was VERY impressed by the young actress who was shown to be so dedicated to her craft however. Usually precocious children are kind of obnoxious but that girl was so good and professional. Provided a nice contrast with Rick's approach to acting at that point. Unfortunately the payoff of the way-too-long scene was already spoiled in the trailer with the "That's the best acting I've ever seen in my whole life" line.
Old 07-29-19, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
For me it was the Leo's guest starring gig. That scene went on FOREVER.
Same. I would have rather seen him filming in Italy. It would have been far more amusing to see him act with guys who spoke broken English or no English at all.

Old 07-29-19, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

Saw it at a Friday matinee. Been thinking about it. Well, I liked it, but didn't love it. I love QT's previous films, but I don't see any way I can rank this above any of his other ones. The characters, acting, scenery, costumes and the whole 60's spectacle were great. But too many tangents that didn't give us anything or go anywhere. Which made it too long. So many actors with really small parts. Even Margot was kind of wasted. If I wanted to just enjoy 60's era stuff I could have watched a documentary or something.
The ranch scene was pretty good, right up until Tex showed up to see Cliff driving away.
Ending was solid. That was a QT film.

There seemed to be something missing in the way QT normally writes. A lot of times his lines/actors have this certain cadence that just sounds like his style. There didn't seem to be that many great lines or monologues.

But now I suppose I have to like it a little bit more since the dog was from Delaware!
https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...od/1841254001/
Old 07-29-19, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I kinda imagine this was going to happen

Bruce Lee’s Daughter Saddened by ‘Mockery’ in ‘Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood’ (Exclusive)

Bruce Lee’s daughter, Shannon Lee, says it was “disheartening” to see Quentin Tarantino depict her father in “Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood” as “an arrogant a–hole who was full of hot air.” In the film, (spoilers follow), Brad Pitt’s stuntman character, Cliff Booth, trades cocky insults with Bruce Lee (Mike Moh), and the two agree to an informal, best two-out-of-three rounds fight on the set of “The Green Hornet” TV show. Lee easily knocks Booth down in the first round, but in the second, Booth slams Lee into a car, stunning him. The fight is interrupted before the third round. Shannon Lee said it’s disheartening to see her father portrayed as an arrogant blowhard, because in truth, as an Asian-American in 1960s Hollywood, he had to work much harder to succeed than Booth and Rick Dalton (Leonardo Dicaprio), the fictional, white protagonists of the film. Also Read: Did Bruce Lee Really Teach Sharon Tate How to Fight? “I can understand all the reasoning behind what is portrayed in the movie,” she said. “I understand that the two characters are antiheroes and this is sort of like a rage fantasy of what would happen… and they’re portraying a period of time that...
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...231355515.html
Old 07-29-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Surprise surprise.
Old 07-30-19, 01:06 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Is she Clueless? Time shall tell. It’s a fantasy film so she should probably lighten up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.