Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
17.57%
20.27%
27.03%
17.57%
6.76%
4.05%
4.05%
1.35%
1.35%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-19, 07:51 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I didn't spot Clu Gulager, Martin Kove, James Remar or Rebecca Gayheart in it. Can someone tell me who they played and what scenes they were in?

Thanks.
I believe Clu was the bookshop guy.
Kove and Remar were briefly in the opening black and white footage.
Gayheart was Cliff’s wife on the boat.
Old 07-27-19, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

Lee did display cockiness here and there, but yeah, QT has always had some sort of grudge with him. Always saying that he's a bigger Jackie fan and even preferring Bruce Li over him. At least he did give him a little respect in Natural Born Killers (Check out the deleted court scene which he wrote)
That's a silly ax to grind and very shitty way to disgrace a legend like Lee. The scene, while funny, felt disrespectful to Lee's legacy and somewhat uncalled for.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Now this is a true story and it's fucked up, but he was not a suspect by the police, just Polanski:Why Bruce Lee Was a Suspect in the Gruesome Murder of Sharon Tate

https://people.com/movies/why-bruce-...n-tate-murder/
The story is that until the murder was solved, Polanski went completely paranoid and suspected everyone of being the murderer. Little did he imagine that it was Manson's family that committed the murders.
Old 07-27-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
That's a silly ax to grind and very shitty way to disgrace a legend like Lee. The scene, while funny, felt disrespectful to Lee's legacy and somewhat uncalled for.
I don’t think the claims that Tarantino is not a fan of Bruce Lee are warranted. He was quoted during the time of Kill Bill saying if Lee were still alive, he would have been cast in Kill Bill.
Old 07-27-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

This was beautiful. It’s like a time capsule. Each scene is great. There are just enough thrills to satisfy. Is this the least violent Tarantino film? Pitt and DiCaprio were so entertaining.

Has anyone ever written about Tarantino taming his younger bombastic style? I kind of miss it. Nobody ever replaced that feeling.
Old 07-27-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
There are just enough thrills to satisfy. Is this the least violent Tarantino film?

I'd say that goes to Jackie Brown. I would have said this movie, until the end.
Old 07-27-19, 05:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

So many differences of opinion. Still seeing Tuesday, but with a little trepidation...
Old 07-27-19, 05:48 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Just saw this. Amazing movie.

I knew Bruce Lee fans would be crying.

What an utterly outrageous love letter to a place and time.

The only bad thing I can say about it is I wish it was made sooner. Back when Tex Watson and Manson and these sick fucks were still alive. I wish it was his first script. So they’d be alive to see it. And know this is what we wish had happened. Newsflash for those that don’t know: Tex fathered children from prison. His children walk this Earth free. I’d give anything if that guy had his genitals viciously mauled by a pit bull. Or at least lived long enough to see audiences cheer it happening.
Old 07-27-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Newsflash for those that don’t know: Tex fathered children from prison. His children walk this Earth free.
Why shouldn't they?
Old 07-27-19, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Why shouldn't they?
They should have never been born. He should have been executed. Manson too. Instead he was allowed to father children while in prison. That shouldn’t be allowed.

The state of California mishandled everything about this case and allowed the perpetrators to haunt us for 40+ years.

And that’s the beauty of this film. It’s a righteous howl. A dream of swift mad justice against inhumane killers. In a better world they would have been belittled for being hippies and savagely mauled and mutilated for breaking/entering and attempted murder. A cathartic moment for sure.

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-27-19 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-27-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast

I don’t think the claims that Tarantino is not a fan of Bruce Lee are warranted. He was quoted during the time of Kill Bill saying if Lee were still alive, he would have been cast in Kill Bill.
So Bruce Lee would have been in Kill Bill if he were alive? I like how Tarantino just assumes that Lee would have wanted to be in it. What an arrogant little shit Tarantino is.
Old 07-27-19, 08:10 PM
Banned

Almost as arrogant as Bruce Lee. Calm down. The guy wasn’t perfect.
Old 07-27-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

And that’s the beauty of this film. It’s a righteous howl. A dream of swift mad justice against inhumane killers. In a better world they would have been belittled for being hippies and savagely mauled and mutilated for breaking/entering and attempted murder. A cathartic moment for sure.
That was the vibe I got too, especially in the way Brad Pitt turned Tex Watson's infamous "I'm the Devil!" threat into a drunken and condescending "I'm here to do devil shit", the way it should have been viewed historically. Manson's followers should have always been a joke, but because they killed at least 6 people, they and their views and words been given a permanent place in history.
Old 07-27-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

[LEFT]

They should have never been born.
"Not being born" and "walk around free" are two completely different things.
Old 07-27-19, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Just got back from seeing it. Overall, a solid well made movie. I'm not a huge QT fan, but I appreciate what he's done in the industry over the last 25+ years.

I liked that this film was basically an Elseworld take on Hollywood history. A lot of fun things if you appreciate Hollywood and what goes into making the movies and all the personalities involved.

For me I thought Brad Pitt was fantastic in this. Low key, but great performance. IMO he totally overshadowed Leo. I did wish they would have given Margot Robbie more to do. She felt more like a "special guest star" than actually one of the leads of this movie. She did look fantastic in this movie. It was interesting how QT re-wrote Sharon Tate's fate on that night. The final 20+ minutes was crazy, brutal and violent. Pitt was fucking badass in that sequence.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but it did drag in points and was probably 30 minutes too long. I also think it could have flowed a little better as it felt more like segments edited together. Kurt Russell (Randy) as the narrator was cool.

I'd give this a solid B and 3 1/2 out of 5.,
Old 07-27-19, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like I might be high but I think Pitt should get an Oscar nom. It might be a low-key role but he nails it.
Old 07-27-19, 09:50 PM
Banned

"Not being born" and "walk around free" are two completely different things.
I feel like Walter talking to Donnie.
Old 07-27-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like I might be high but I think Pitt should get an Oscar nom. It might be a low-key role but he nails it.
Both Pitt and DiCaprio were a joy to watch. The writing and the performances. Much like Waltz in Inglorious Basterds. They were cinematic characters, not a performance to just accept as part of the plot. Nothing new for Tarantino. But somewhat sparse in an average film.
Old 07-27-19, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went in without knowing anything about the plot. Tho Jimmy Kimmel kind of spoiled the ending by referring to alternative history during his Tarantino interview.

I had had no idea if it was going to be a violent crime movie or what.
Old 07-28-19, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I agree with the general consensus that Pitt was quite good. Though I thought the movie as a whole was a little too meandering. It's been clear for a while that QT falls a little too in love with some of his scenes (that are usually good but bring the movie to a halt) and leaves them in the finished film to the detriment of the movie.

Given what happened in IB, I assumed all along that the ending of this movie would be some variation of what it ended up being.
Old 07-28-19, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Absolutely loved it. DiCaprio and Pitt were great. Tarantino has yet to make a bad film in my opinion.

Originally Posted by PatD
I'd say that goes to Jackie Brown. I would have said this movie, until the end.
yeah the end gets pretty crazy with the violence. The rest is overall pretty tame though.
Old 07-28-19, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Just got back. Really enjoyed it. Not as much as Inglorious or Django (or of course Pulp which is an impossible bar to ever clear again), but I really liked it on its own merits. Well acted and just fun and breezy. Not the greatest of Q dialog, but really dug the chemistry between Pitt & DiCaprio.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Wow! I'm in love.
She's been around for a while. I had to laugh when Cliff doesn't believe she's 18. IRL she's almost 25. Was the daughter in The Leftovers. Emmy nominee this year for Fosse/Verdon. And just so you know, she does nudity in The Novitiate.
Old 07-28-19, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
She's been around for a while. I had to laugh when Cliff doesn't believe she's 18. IRL she's almost 25. Was the daughter in The Leftovers. Emmy nominee this year for Fosse/Verdon. And just so you know, she does nudity in The Novitiate.
Donnybrook is more extensive than the Novitiate.
Old 07-28-19, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just saw this today - really enjoyed it. Brad Pitt's performance was outstanding, exemplifying a quiet cool that I hope gets some Oscar love. DiCaprio's character was the showier role, but Pitt"s character stole the show.
Old 07-28-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I've heard that this movie is being criticized for not being made with the 2019 level of "woke" that is supposed to happen nowadays. Whatever..
Old 07-28-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I've heard that this movie is being criticized for not being made with the 2019 level of "woke" that is supposed to happen nowadays.
Perhaps due to the fact the film takes place 50 years ago.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.