Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-22, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

Just watched it and I did not like. It was a fucking bore to get through and only picks up during the last 20 minutes or so. Man, I have loved every single GDT film since the beginning, but this one was a misfire.

The final scene of the film before it cuts to the credits reminded me of In the Mouth of Madness. I will be skipping the 4K disc release and the B&W version.

It was great on a technical level, though.
Old 02-01-22, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just watched it and I did not like. It was a fucking bore to get through and only picks up during the last 20 minutes or so.

This is what the trailer looks like to me. All atmosphere/mood and a total slog.
Old 02-02-22, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Well I guess I’m the anti-Why So Blu.

I really enjoyed the first two hours and didn’t care as much for the final 20 minutes. Not sure why.

It is a slow movie but I was always totally engaged with the atmosphere. That might be the best overall cast ever assembled. Wow what a bunch of talent.

I would have preferred it being shot in 2:35:1 instead of 185 or whatever it was.
Old 02-02-22, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So, is this movie scary for a total pussy?

Asking for a friend of course...
Old 02-02-22, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trelach24
So, is this movie scary for a total pussy?

Asking for a friend of course...

Nope. It's not a traditional horror film at all.
The following users liked this post:
Trelach24 (02-03-22)
Old 02-06-22, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

I liked this but also think it could have ended stronger than it did. I felt like Del Toro made a purposely slow moving movie to capture Stan’s realistic descent into his own moral corruption and then rushed the last 20 minutes or so to make sure he got there by the end.

One question:
Spoiler:
Why did Cate Blanchett’s character double cross Stan? Was it payback for humiliating her at his show or did she just see an opportunity to screw him out of the money and took it?

The set design was amazing. Everything in the traveling carnival and the Art Deco design of the buildings and mansions looked fantastic.

It was a little long and probably could have used a trim here and there but I might consider re-watching this if HBOmax puts up the Black & White version.
Old 02-06-22, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I liked this but also think it could have ended stronger than it did. I felt like Del Toro made a purposely slow moving movie to capture Stan’s realistic descent into his own moral corruption and then rushed the last 20 minutes or so to make sure he got there by the end.

One question:
Spoiler:
Why did Cate Blanchett’s character double cross Stan? Was it payback for humiliating her at his show or did she just see an opportunity to screw him out of the money and took it?

The set design was amazing. Everything in the traveling carnival and the Art Deco design of the buildings and mansions looked fantastic.

It was a little long and probably could have used a trim here and there but I might consider re-watching this if HBOmax puts up the Black & White version.
I think it was because

Spoiler:
She was one of the women who had been hurt by Grindle. She saw Stan as a means to an end to get her revenge on him. She turned on him to absolve herself of any involvement and paint Stan as a delusional killer

GoldenJCJ (02-06-22)
Old 02-06-22, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

^ Oh, good call. I didn’t even think of that. That makes sense.
Old 02-07-22, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I think it was because

Spoiler:
She was one of the women who had been hurt by Grindle. She saw Stan as a means to an end to get her revenge on him. She turned on him to absolve herself of any involvement and paint Stan as a delusional killer

Just finished watching it on Hulu and that was my read also. Good movie to watch once but not sure if will watch again.
Old 02-08-22, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The final scene of the film before it cuts to the credits reminded me of In the Mouth of Madness. I will be skipping the 4K disc release and the B&W version.
Are you sure that's the reason, and not because the first meeting with Stan and Grindle was shot at the same place as the mental hospital in the beginning of In the Mouth of Madness?
Why So Blu? (02-08-22)
Old 02-08-22, 09:11 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

I enjoyed it enough...but didn't love it. It's better than Shape of Water, but I'd probably put it around the "average" mark for GDT
GoldenJCJ (02-08-22)
Old 02-08-22, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff
Are you sure that's the reason, and not because the first meeting with Stan and Grindle was shot at the same place as the mental hospital in the beginning of In the Mouth of Madness?
Now that, I didn't even realize. What reminded me of ITMOM and this one's ending is

Spoiler:
Bradley Cooper laughs and then starts to sob at the end before cutting to black. Sam Neill also laughs and starts to sob at the end of ITMOM before cutting to black.

Old 02-08-22, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's really odd is that it is actually a water treatment plant.

As for the movie itself, Del Toro's remake gave me the same dry feeling as the original. I did enjoy the carnival scenes early on in the film, but it loses me when they enter high society with the con game. I know, I know, you can't have a "rise and fall" type movie if they never experience the highs that make the inevitable decline so devastating, but both films slow to a glacial pace at that point in the story. Also, I don't have the contempt for the lead character when he's conning other rich people, the same way I did when they're exploiting the more vulnerable folk (who are probably coughing up a significantly larger percentage of their cash to him) on the carnival scene.

When I want to see a contemptible person get their comeuppance in a carnival side show, I'll just rewatch Freaks again.
Why So Blu? (02-08-22)
Old 02-16-22, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I really enjoyed most of the movie, loved the atmosphere and liked the general plot, but I found the last act to be a little too generic and ending struck me more as silly than anything else.

Old 02-21-22, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

I just wished it was in 4K on HBO Max.

Cool did not have to wait until April to see this on physical media.

A fun movie and glad I saw it this week when it was cold and cloudy and not in the 80's last week.
Old 02-22-22, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I loved this movie... yes, it was slow but the payoff was great. I should have seen the "twist" ending coming from a mile away but was caught up in just how excellent the actors were and the settings were beautiful.
JeffTheAlpaca (02-22-22)
Old 02-24-22, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I loved this movie... yes, it was slow but the payoff was great. I should have seen the "twist" ending coming from a mile away but was caught up in just how excellent the actors were and the settings were beautiful.
Twist? It was the same as the original movie and the book. I guess it's a "twist" if you didn't know the story...but even then, it's pretty well telegraphed.
Old 02-24-22, 05:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

I thought it started out promising, but I started to dislike it after 20 or so minutes. Finished in 1 sitting, but it was ok, nothing special. Felt like I’ve seen before, no didn’t see original.
Old 02-26-22, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I didn’t know anything about it going in and never saw the first film. It ran long, and wasn’t crazy about the “one last job” end section, but it kept me interested throughout, and the cast and atmosphere were great. Was it one of the 10 best films of the year? Eh, maybe.
Old 02-26-22, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Pretty much agree with Oldboy on this one.

Saw the ending a mile away. I never saw the original either.
Old 02-27-22, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

De Toro told Marc Maron on his podcast how he used circles throughout the film and various settings as a explanation for Stan's journey
Old 03-11-22, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Man, I love the original and I am a huge Del Toro fan, but this just seemed inert to me. I can’t even quite pinpoint why, but it felt like film noir cosplay somehow. A bummer.
Pointyskull (03-11-22)
Old 03-11-22, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As I already mentioned, this was the vibe I got from the original:

Old 04-20-22, 02:34 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts