Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-21, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
re: Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

The original Gresham novel is pretty fucking dark (much moreso than the 1947 movie, which I absolutely love).
I am hoping del Toro digs into some of those even bleaker elements.

This is my most anticipated movie of the year....
Old 11-18-21, 09:18 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

Only in Theaters December 17

In NIGHTMARE ALLEY, an ambitious carny (Bradley Cooper) with a talent for manipulating people with a few well-chosen words hooks up with a female psychiatrist (Cate Blanchett) who is even more dangerous than he is.

Directed by: Guillermo del Toro

Cast: Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins, Rooney Mara, Ron Perlman, David Strathairn
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (11-18-21)
Old 11-20-21, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

I am guessing this will be limited in December and then go wide early next year? I love the look and GDT but this seems a bit dark and dreary for a wide release during the holiday season.
Old 11-20-21, 03:25 PM

Nope. Seems like it is a wide release, not a slow roll out.
Old 11-21-21, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Saw an ad on TV and hadn't heard of this before. Looks interesting.
Old 11-21-21, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Nope. Seems like it is a wide release, not a slow roll out.

I notice they're doing a lot more wide releases with movies nowadays than they used to do . Is it because of the short window until streaming is available? My concern is that if the movie is something they think is award worthy and they release it wide without building buzz in other markets it will bomb with general audiences immediately, which seems to somehow affect eligibility for awards in major categories. Last year was different as nothing really got a wide release, but we are definitely in a time where a movie's success seems to have more to do with overall opinion with people that matter than anything else.
Old 11-21-21, 09:31 AM

I read this in an article a few weeks ago regarding Last Night in Soho. It’s pretty much the same for smaller films.

Don’t forget, at the end of the day, this film owned by Disney.

Focus isn’t alone, other distributors have made a similar choice as the theatrical marketplace struggles to recover. There are a few reasons why:

-TV windows: Focus hasn’t announced the pay video-on-demand window for Last Night but it has recently followed a 17-day pattern for its films. Assuming that’s the case here, some theaters would be less willing to show it after that time — so it needs to get out as wide as possible as fast as possible. “There are different variables. If you are going on PVOD or streaming relatively shortly, you can’t roll it out on TV and have it hit theaters at the same time,” said one distributor.

-Economic considerations: Distributors can get a bigger bang for their initial blast of marketing dollars with a bigger theatrical sweep, especially if PVOD isn’t far behind.

-Why not?: Directors like it. And even incremental, diminishing-return ticket sales from suburban multiplexes are still cash in hand. The wider the opening, the more people may have heard of the film once it hits PVOD.

The downside is having the industry think, and say, the film didn’t do well, didn’t perform, and coming to conclusions about it based on the opening number. But we live in such odd times, Bunnell said, that “Adult movies now are not trackable. It’s nobody’s fault. It’s the pandemic. All of the ways we used to judge where movies are going, up or down, are less reliable.”
Dr. DVD (11-21-21)
Old 12-02-21, 09:44 AM

Reviews:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/nightmare_alley_2021
Old 12-02-21, 10:32 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
A little lower than I hoped, but still can't wait for it. This year has been full of a ton of movies I really, really anticipated that disappointed me. Some were pretty good, but so far I haven't seen anything this year I'd rate more than a 4/5
Old 12-02-21, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Didn't Kim Morgan (Co-writer of the screenplay) used to contribute to DVDTALK? I've been a longtime follower (Even back when Chris Gore replaced her on G4) and it's real cool to see her reach this far.
Old 12-02-21, 04:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I’m just hoping this isn’t a misfire like Crimson Peak.
Old 12-02-21, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

The original Nightmare Alley is pitch dark and it will be interesting to see how far this one goes given the freedom of filmmakers in 2021 vs. 1947. I also didn't love how the ending played out in the original, so I hope Del Toro can improve on that. Either way, I imagine this will be dark, dark, dark and won't be surprised if mainstream audiences turn away.
Old 12-02-21, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by JayTL
A little lower than I hoped, but still can't wait for it. This year has been full of a ton of movies I really, really anticipated that disappointed me. Some were pretty good, but so far I haven't seen anything this year I'd rate more than a 4/5
Crazy, last night it went from 80% to 64% and now it's back at 81%
JayTL (12-07-21)
Old 12-06-21, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Tickets are on sale now. Got mine.
Old 12-07-21, 08:51 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Crazy, last night it went from 80% to 64% and now it's back at 81%
Nice, Can't wait to see this. Maybe I'll go on Spider-man's opening day to support GDT lol
Old 12-10-21, 08:54 AM

They are doing early screenings on Wednesday at 7pm.
Old 12-12-21, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Grace Randolph loved the movie, and she typically doesn't care for stuff by GDT , or any auteur director for that matter. She does say that it will probably flop commercially due to doing a wide release during a time people don't really want dark stories. I'm sure the fact that it doesn't have a Marvel logo on it hurts as well.

Old 12-12-21, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Didn't Kim Morgan (Co-writer of the screenplay) used to contribute to DVDTALK? I've been a longtime follower (Even back when Chris Gore replaced her on G4) and it's real cool to see her reach this far.
Yup, our former DVD TALK Reviewer colleague is not only GDT's screenwriting collaborator, she's also Mrs. Guillermo Del Toro.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
[email protected] (02-05-22), Jason Bovberg (12-13-21), RichC2 (12-13-21)
Old 12-13-21, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Yup, our former DVD TALK Reviewer colleague is not only GDT's screenwriting collaborator, she's also Mrs. Guillermo Del Toro.

She definitely likes older dudes. She was married to director Guy Maddin. He's 65, but was married to her from 2010-2014, so she may have been in her 20's. She looks like she's still in her 30's.
Old 12-16-21, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Gotta say, I thoroughly enjoyed this. It might be my favorite Del Toro film alongside Pan's Labyrinth.

I was surprised that this movie had zero supernatural elements to it. No monsters, ghosts, or otherworldly creatures that Del Toro loves to fall back on. I thought Crimson Peak was hurt by his overuse of supernatural gimmicks to tell its story, so this was a refreshingly mature approach to storytelling that I haven't seen before from Guillermo.

I have never caught the original movie, but it was pretty obvious by the halfway point to know where this story was headed. It's a very old fashioned morality tale/film noir shot with gorgeous modern day cinematography. The performances by a star studded cast were all top notch and Cate Blanchett was stunningly photographed as if she were an iconic 50's Hollywood star.

The movie does run a little too long and some scenes could have been trimmed down a bit to better effect.

One scene I didn't care for was:

Spoiler:
The Mary Steenburgen murder/suicide. Yeah, I get that it illustrates the tragic outcome of Stan irresponsibly toying with people's emotions and beliefs, but it felt heavy handed and too on-the-nose. At that point we already know that Stan is a greedy con artist who is taking advantage of people, so we don't really need it hammered home that what's he's doing can have drastically ill effects. Also, it's too obvious foreshadowing for what is about to happen when Stan's final scam goes horribly wrong that it kind of lessens the surprise impact of that scene.

Overall, though, this was riveting stuff and a very good example of how to do a proper remake.

Old 12-16-21, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Pretty much agree, especially with the spoiler. All we needed was the news report.

As far as Cate Blanchett is concerned, I wish she wasn't so posed and statuesque in this role. Maybe that's the point, but the performance seemed over the top. I preferred the arc and treatment of Rooney Mara's character, actually--she may have been the most interesting aspect of the story, far more than in the 1947 original. Speaking of the original, this film has very similar plot points, so if you're seen that, the surprises will be muted. Perhaps that's obvious, given they're both adapted from the Gresham novel, but I thought del Toro would ... bring more to it?

A very good film, though! Probably in the middle of my del Toro rankings.
Old 12-17-21, 10:24 AM

Old 12-18-21, 09:54 AM

This was pretty good. It is much more enriched and fleshed out than the original version.

The production design is gorgeous, but that’s to be expected.
Old 12-18-21, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

GORGEOUS looking film. Del Toro never disappoints me. This was definitely Cooper's best performance. He, Mara and Blanchette all deserve an Oscar nomination. And it better get a Best Picture nomination as well. One of 2021's best. 9/10 rating from me.
Old 12-18-21, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I went to go see this today and I can't really say I saw it. Because I'm embarrassed to say that I completely dozed off for probably half the movie. I guess I was really tired from work and going out to lunch with friends earlier in the day. Or it's middle age creeping up on me.

Shit, I felt like I wasted 2 1/2 hours because I wasn't completely alert. The last time this happened was 4 years ago when I saw Blade Runner 2049 at an 11pm show and fell asleep for more than half the movie.

I'm going to need to make a return trip to see this again.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-18-21 at 11:30 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.