Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-21, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts
Re: Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

Originally Posted by DJariya
Or it's middle age creeping up on me.
Creeping up on you? Aren't you almost 50? You're there my man. Sorry to break it to you.
The following 3 users liked this post by rocket1312:
DJariya (12-18-21), Spiderbite (12-31-21), The Questyen (12-19-21)
Old 12-19-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts
Re: Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

I thought this was just ok. To my surprise the whole thing felt kind of lifeless and almost completely lacking in the nastiness that defined the 1947 original (and presumably the book). The characters all seemed like they were taking a leisurely stroll through the story while making sure to hit all of the necessary plot points, but I wasn't really buying any of it. Cooper's ability to play a charming sleazeball is second to none, but he inexplicably doesn't tap into it here. At least not to the extent that I would've expected. Stanton Carlisle should be the prototypical Cooper sleazeball. It's only the last 30 minutes or so that show what this could have been. I love the original movie, but there was definitely room to improve on it, yet the only thing I can say that I preferred about the remake was the very end. It's one of those stories that has exactly one ending that makes sense and because of the motion picture code the original couldn't get away with it. Thankfully del Toro didn't get cute and got it right.

I don't know. I didn't hate watching this or anything. It was fine, and maybe if I wasn't familiar with the original I would have liked it better. I guess my biggest problem is that every non-franchise/non-kids movie the studios release feels like a referendum on cinema itself and when they're not home runs I start panicking because I'm afraid we won't get any more movies like this again.
The following users liked this post:
Ash Ketchum (12-31-21)
Old 12-19-21, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I thought this was just ok. To my surprise the whole thing felt kind of lifeless and almost completely lacking in the nastiness that defined the 1947 original (and presumably the book). The characters all seemed like they were taking a leisurely stroll through the story while making sure to hit all of the necessary plot points, but I wasn't really buying any of it. Cooper's ability to play a charming sleazeball is second to none, but he inexplicably doesn't tap into it here. At least not to the extent that I would've expected. Stanton Carlisle should be the prototypical Cooper sleazeball. It's only the last 30 minutes or so that show what this could have been. I love the original movie, but there was definitely room to improve on it, yet the only thing I can say that I preferred about the remake was the very end. It's one of those stories that has exactly one ending that makes sense and because of the motion picture code the original couldn't get away with it. Thankfully del Toro didn't get cute and got it right.

I don't know. I didn't hate watching this or anything. It was fine, and maybe if I wasn't familiar with the original I would have liked it better. I guess my biggest problem is that every non-franchise/non-kids movie the studios release feels like a referendum on cinema itself and when they're not home runs I start panicking because I'm afraid we won't get any more movies like this again.

I haven't seen the original and really enjoyed this , particularly in terms of the visuals and the way it nailed the old school nature of film noir. I'm hoping that the black and white version will be included as an extra on the 4K release. My opinion might change if I get something for comparison, so for now we will agree to disagree on this point. One point you do make that I feel is correct is that movies like this are probably going to become few and far between. I personally don't know why they thought doing a wide release of a dark and dreary movie right before the holidays was a good idea; they should have done limited and then a wide release in mid-January. Then again, given the trending demographic of the movie going public since the start of the pandemic, it makes one think if a movie aimed squarely at adult audiences will ever be able to do well again.

Also, while there was no real supernatural element, Del Toro's style and the elaborate nature of the sets almost makes it seem like the world is inhabited by spirits and the sets are alive.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 12-19-21 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-25-21, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I went to go see this today and I can't really say I saw it. Because I'm embarrassed to say that I completely dozed off for probably half the movie. I guess I was really tired from work and going out to lunch with friends earlier in the day. Or it's middle age creeping up on me.
At the screening that I attended yesterday with a friend, a man in our row fell asleep for a good 15+ minutes

I thought the film was a bit longer than it needed to be but I enjoyed it. As everyone has already mentioned, the performances from Cooper, Blanchett & Mara were all fantastic.

Also echoing that the film was wonderful to look at and I appreciated that though he held back tremendously, Del Toro did find a way to sneak in his "monsters" via the Clem's (Willem Dafoe) wet specimen collection.
Old 12-25-21, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

I saw the original for the first time a few weeks back when TCM played it, so I was unfortunately distracted by spending the first half of the movie comparing the two versions, I wish more time had passed so I could have allowed myself to become more immersed in this version.

However, as a firm believer that few movies need to be more than 1hr 40mins, this gets my coveted That-Didn't-Feel-Like-2-&-A-Half-Hours Award(especially impressive since the theatre now requires me to wear a mask during the whole movie).

I disagree about the
Spoiler:
murder-suicide scene

being unnecessary. I found the scene effective. Besides, let's have some high stakes. On the other hand, I disliked
Spoiler:
having Richard Jenkins admit to hurting (raping?) multiple women just before he's murdered, as if that would make Stan seem like less of a bad guy. He's not a character we "like", who cares if the guy he murdered may have deserved to die. It reminded too much of how on The Sopranos the writers always had a character murder a "civilian" in the episode before they got whacked
, but I concede that's kind of a moot point.

When this come to my TV, I'm definitely going to fiddle with the controls to make it black-and-white. I didn't think so much about that during the first half of the movie, but the scenes in the psychiatrist office seemed to scream out for black-and-white.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought the one shot of Stan in his fedora standing in front of the round devil-head doorway to the fun house looked exactly like Indiana Jones standing in front of the temple boulder.
Dr. DVD (12-26-21)
Old 12-31-21, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Caught the last showing yesterday. Dug it
Old 01-18-22, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Feb 1 on HBO Max and Hulu.

https://collider.com/nightmare-alley...-date-hbo-max/
The following 4 users liked this post by RichC2:
JayTL (01-19-22), Mondo Kane (01-19-22), tommyp007 (01-30-22), Why So Blu? (01-19-22)
Old 01-19-22, 10:08 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Excited. Never had a chance to catch this in theaters.
Old 01-19-22, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Nice! Missed it in theaters, too.
Old 01-19-22, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Cool for the Hulu option. Missed in theaters so will watch then.
Old 01-19-22, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

That's great that it's coming to Hulu. As I said earlier in this thread, I tried seeing it in the theater back in December, but fell asleep for more than 1/2 the movie. I was completely lost on the whole story. Was meaning to see it again, but with it coming out in a few weeks, then I'll just wait til it hits Hulu.
Old 01-20-22, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Absolutely loved this. GDT has had a pretty uneven career, but this is his absolute best work to date. (Says me anyway.) Amazing acting from amazing actors, straight across the board. That last scene with BC….. breathtaking cinema.
Old 01-30-22, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Attended one of the black and white screenings last night. Went into this without any knowledge about the book or previous film. In black and white, it really feels like a film from the 40s. GDT said the cut is 2:19, but the initial cut was at 3:20. He had several edits and finally came upon this final cut. I liked it. Some parts predictable, but others not so much.

Spoiler:
The murder/suicide you saw coming a mile away, but I half expected Molly to be killed by Grindle, especially when he started confessing his sins to Stan. The only thing about the B&W was (and maybe this is a good thing), not knowing if he intentionally killed Pete because the difference in bottle color is absent. Blanchett was stunning as Lilith and very much looked like Lauren Bacall. A part of me would have liked to maybe have seen Stan as the geek in the end without the new carny boss giving him the spiel and wondering if he dreamed everything, because he's basically the geek this whole time. Obviously he knew what was happening at that moment as described by Clem, but he accepted his fate nonetheless.

Old 01-30-22, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Can’t believe this will be available at home in about a day.
Dr. DVD (01-30-22)
Old 01-30-22, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Can’t believe this will be available at home in about a day.

Will the feed be in 4K or regular like HBOMax did with Last Duel?
Old 01-30-22, 04:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Excited to see this. Del Toro has always been stellar in my book with Pan’s Labyrinth being pinnacle. Shape of Water great too. Didn’t see Crimson Peak. But everything he does is whimsical or bizarre or just damn fine action, Blade 2: BloodHunt. You get so much diversity in genres from him.
Old 01-30-22, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Excited to see this. Del Toro has always been stellar in my book with Pan’s Labyrinth being pinnacle. Shape of Water great too. Didn’t see Crimson Peak. But everything he does is whimsical or bizarre or just damn fine action, Blade 2: BloodHunt. You get so much diversity in genres from him.
I've enjoyed all of Del Toro's films. That said, I saw "Pacific Rim" in the theater and loved it at the time. But have never been able to get through it a second time all the way through.
Old 01-30-22, 08:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

I have yet to see again myself. Not thoroughly impressed when I saw in theaters. del Toro of old too. Devils Backbone, Cronos, damn he’s good.
Old 01-31-22, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For some reason I thought this was premiering tomorrow via Hulu/HBO MAX but it says 2/5, so that's the weekend coming up.
Old 01-31-22, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Other websites still say tomorrow, February 1. Who knows
Old 01-31-22, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah it was reported as 2/1. Guess we'll know soon.

Edit: The trailer on HBO Max says Premieres Feb. 1

Last edited by RichC2; 01-31-22 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-01-22, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

This is available now on Hulu.
Old 02-01-22, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's also on HBO MAX but both services only have it in HD with 5.1. No 4K/Atmos.
Old 02-01-22, 09:01 AM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

HBO Max does not have the Black & White as a Bonus. It was never announced but I had hope lol.

Maybe on physical release
Old 02-01-22, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the "early theatrical release" versions tend to be pretty bare bones

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.