Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Is it, well, good?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen Trek 2, 3, 4, and all the TNG movies, but not this original, or 5 - Final Frontier and 6 - Undiscovered Country.

I picked up the original and 5 yesterday (Walmart had the Collector's Editions on sale 2 for $10 but Undiscovered Country wasn't there) and I've always heard that Motion Picture was just long and boring, nothing special.

Is it?
Old 04-06-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You are only going to know if you like it when you watch it. Take 2 hours and see for yourself.
Old 04-06-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
I think The Motion Picture is definitely worth watching. I own it, but The Final Frontier is a big stinkeroo though.
Old 04-06-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts
The bad news for you in seeing these movies for the first time is that you have to endure The Final Frontier. The good news is you get to experience The Undiscovered Country for the first time (IMO, the second best original cast Trek picture after Wrath of Khan).

As for part one, I couldn't tell you cause I've actually never gotten around to seeing it. I'll have to pick it up one of these days.
Old 04-06-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As long as you realize its a film with just about zero action, it should be enjoyable enough. Just sit back and soak up the Goldsmith score and some quite stunning FX sequences. For once this actually feels like a big expensive epic.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 04-06-08 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-06-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Star Trek:TMP isn't bad.
Old 04-06-08, 05:49 PM
Banned

It isnt very entertaining but it does have some admirable qualities.
Old 04-06-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Panda Phil
As long as you realize its a film with just about zero action, it should be enjoyable enough. Just sit back and soak up the Goldsmith score and some quite stunning FX sequences. For once this actually feels like a big expensive epic.

Good summary. It seems like the filmmakers were zeroed in on giving the TV show a big, grand, state-of-the-art cinematic upgrade, which they did admirably---it just wasn't a particularly action-packed story.
Old 04-06-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
My feeling about TMP is it's a 2001 wanna-be which thinks it's just as deep as Kubrick's film, but, in reality, it's no where near that level.

To enjoy it, you basically have to place yourself in 1979 and imagine you're seeing the crew of Star Trek on the big screen for the first time in 15 years. But I would imagine even if you could manage to do that, you would still ask yourself "It took them 15 years to come up with this???" and be a little disappointed.

The Jerry Goldsmith score is nice though. And I'm thinking this may be the last time in the history of cinema that a film actually had an overture. That deserves a little recognition.

Last edited by rennervision; 04-06-08 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-06-08, 06:24 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Star Trek TMP is pretty boring at times, and the uniforms and sets are bland as hell. There is however a great transporter malfunction scene, and Bones McCoy with a beard!

on the other hand, Star Trek 6 is a fantastic film which I would put only behind The Wrath of Kahn in terms of greatness with the original crew.
Old 04-06-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kirk+pastels=teh suck
Old 04-06-08, 06:57 PM

If only Walmart had Trek 6 in stock, I'd have them all...

Yeah, I've just never gotten around to seeing TMP, and aside from the oft-repeated comments of it being bland (and yes those uniforms are indeed terrible) I knew nothing of it other than it featuring that magnificent Goldsmith title theme. I just finished making a DTS wav file out of the main and end titles for another 5.1 CD I have yet to make. A silly hobby, but fun.

Trek 6 I know absolutely nothing about other than Christopher Plummer playing a bald Klingon with a bolted eyepatch. Haven't seen anything of Trek 5 other than a campfire scene shown in clips on TV. I figure for $5 per movie I'd complete the collection as best I could and Shatner being Shatner, I'm sure Final Frontier is good for an unintentional laugh.

Khan, Spock, Voyage Home - seen them many times, and while Treks 2 and 3 are my favorite musically, Trek 4 is my favorite because of how much fun and relaxed it is, though I hate the music for it (apologies to the late Leonard Rosenman) with a passion.

The TNG films I've seen countless times, and it's a shame Nemesis is how those came to an end. Talk about a downer of an ending to that franchise.
Old 04-07-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TMP was a pretty good movie, but it was designed as an episode for Star Trek 2, which would have been on what would have been the UPN network if Paramount had been able to get their own TV network in 1979, so it really does feel like a stretched out episode. Good stuff, and worth rewatching from time to time. It doesn't make it into my DVD player nearly as much as Wrath of Kahn, Undiscovered Country, and First Contact, but I like it.
Old 04-07-08, 06:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Just echoing what others have said, but....

I enjoyed 1, but admit it is a bit slow and bland. And 6 is perhaps the best of all the ST movies.
Old 04-07-08, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolf359
I think The Motion Picture is definitely worth watching. I own it, but The Final Frontier is a big stinkeroo though.
Trek V is better than TMP. What's NOT better are the effects, which are better in TMP, even though it's 10 years older.

The TMP DVD Director's Cut is better than the theatrical version, but not quite as good as the TV version.

Regardless, both of the above movies are far better than Nemesis.
Old 04-07-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
The Star Trek Meal was the first McDonald's Happy Meal to promote a motion picture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tr...Motion_Picture

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvRyBRVpJGw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvRyBRVpJGw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Wow, I remember those Happy Meals along with our school having movie posters of the new Enterprise, etc., as well.
Old 04-07-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I've seen every other ST movie but every time I try to watch the first I fall asleep 25 minutes in. one day.
Old 04-07-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
While 1 was a little slow I always enjoyed the reveal
Old 04-07-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
While 1 was a little slow I always enjoyed the reveal

And although it's not official Star Trek Canon, I've always liked the inclusion of a certain part of ST:TMP's storyline into Borg history.
Old 04-07-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Trek V is better than TMP. What's NOT better are the effects, which are better in TMP, even though it's 10 years older.

The TMP DVD Director's Cut is better than the theatrical version, but not quite as good as the TV version.

Regardless, both of the above movies are far better than Nemesis.
While I disagree on Final Frontier being better than TMP, you are totally correct about Nemeshit.
Old 04-07-08, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
And although it's not official Star Trek Canon, I've always liked the inclusion of a certain part of ST:TMP's storyline into Borg history.
wait, what?

Okay, I'll be watching this one tonight. I can't stand the Borg, but that's interesting nonetheless.

Trek 5 is better than 1? Well I guess when you've got Shatner writing, acting, and directing the film....can't go wrong with that power combination!
(actually it seems as though it was all wrong, but still...)
Old 04-07-08, 10:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I haven't kept up with the novels or comics since the early 90s. Can you spoilerize?
Old 04-07-08, 10:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think it was a mistake to give so much screen time to that bald chick instead of focusing on the original cast, but other than that it's not bad.
Old 04-07-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I haven't kept up with the novels or comics since the early 90s. Can you spoilerize?
I think he's referring to
Spoiler:
V'ger being the beginnings of the Borg and Ilea being the first Borg Queen
Old 04-07-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Khan, The Voyage Home, and Undiscovered Country are far better. TMP is indeed a snooze IMO, but as another poster said, The Final Frontier makes this look like Wrath of Khan.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.