Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Destin Daniel Cretton)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Destin Daniel Cretton)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Re: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Destin Daniel Cretton)

Originally Posted by rocket1312
But really, the only reason it doesn't seem like a Marvel film is because you're not familiar with the character. If Shang Chi hadn't been mothballed for a couple of decades and was more of a known quantity with the general public, I think your reaction would be different. People would be like "OMG! Finally we get to see Razor Fist on the big screen!" As it is, it's hard to build up any expectations from the trailer because the character's lore is pretty unknown.
Most non-comic people knew little or nothing about GotG, but when that trailer hit, you could tell that it was something special. This trailer does not have that.
The following users liked this post:
lopper (04-20-21)
Old 04-19-21, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Most non-comic people knew little or nothing about GotG, but when that trailer hit, you could tell that it was something special. This trailer does not have that.
But that's a different conversation. Unless you're of the belief that all the Marvel films are special, the quality of the trailer is kind of irrelevant with regards to "feeling like a Marvel film". If this was filled with a bunch of characters people recognized, I'm sure it would feel exactly like a Marvel film.
Old 04-19-21, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

But that's a different conversation. Unless you're of the belief that all the Marvel films are special, the quality of the trailer is kind of irrelevant with regards to "feeling like a Marvel film". If this was filled with a bunch of characters people recognized, I'm sure it would feel exactly like a Marvel film.
but you were comparing Shang Chi with being mothballed and an unknown. GotG was basically that when that came out of nowhere. It is a very valid comparison because both involved properties that most people were unaware of.
Old 04-19-21, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

but you were comparing Shang Chi with being mothballed and an unknown. GotG was basically that when that came out of nowhere. It is a very valid comparison because both involved properties that most people were unaware of.
So what was it about the GotG trailer that made it "feel like a Marvel film" in a way that this does not? The only difference I can see is that the GotG trailer had more jokes, more mainstream stars and featured a more popular genre (space fantasy vs. kung fu). If those are the qualities that make a trailer feel more like Marvel, then point taken? I guess?
Old 04-19-21, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

GotG has an unknown team you're getting to know along with a space adventure that was different from the rest of the MCU films (Thor films take place mainly on Earth).

Shang Chi is a harder sell because he's a singular character and feels pigeonholed as just another martial artist (sort of an Iron Fist reboot). Disney just came off releasing a lackluster live action Mulan. I'm hoping that since his origin is relatively unknown, they can revamp to fit him within this MCU. I remember having a few issues of the comic book, but I can't recall much about the stories. I do hope this can link the HFH, but it looks like they'll base Shang Chi on the west coast.
Old 04-19-21, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 828 Likes on 549 Posts

Galactus seems like the next step. I’m wondering if Kang might be a bridge to that.
While I really want to see Doctor Doom, I hope he doesn’t get woefully underused like Red Skull. Doom needs to be more like Loki. Not the anti-hero, but a villain that’s around for a long, long time.
Red Skull and the Mandarin (im3 version) are the two most glaring mcu fuck ups in my opinion.
ddrknghtrtns (04-24-21)
Old 04-19-21, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I literally could not feel any more the same way DT. I was at least semi-interested before the trailer, now I have zero interest. This is a completely skippable movie. Coming off the high of F&WS (which I am loving) this was a massive, massive let down.

Honestly, there is a very good chance I won't see this movie unless it's for free somewhere, and even then, only in the background.

There are so many other fringe characters that would have been better - Moon Knight for one - or hell, just bust the cap on Silver Surfer already. You've got DD and Punisher just sitting there too. This is a poor, poor decision by Marvel.
Old 04-19-21, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Few of you naysayers seem to realise that China is rapidly becoming the biggest box office earner in the world.
Old 04-19-21, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 187 Posts

Meh on the trailer. Really enjoyed Akwafina in what I've seen her in. I'm sure it will be good given it's Marvel. Feel the exact same about Black Widow. Only advantage that has is more familiar names and faces.
Old 04-19-21, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Few of you naysayers seem to realise that China is rapidly becoming the biggest box office earner in the world.
Does not a good movie make.
IBJoel (04-20-21)
Old 04-19-21, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

So what was it about the GotG trailer that made it "feel like a Marvel film" in a way that this does not? The only difference I can see is that the GotG trailer had more jokes, more mainstream stars and featured a more popular genre (space fantasy vs. kung fu). If those are the qualities that make a trailer feel more like Marvel, then point taken? I guess?
To me Guardians of the Galaxy had more of a Marvel vibe even if it was different. It had the tone/humor and it had unique characters.

I feel like this film doesn’t have any of that. Hence why I say it feels like any other martial arts film. I’m not saying it looks or will be bad, but it just doesn’t feel like Marvel or even a comic book movie to me.

Granted I’m not familiar with the character from the comics and I’m sure this is a true adaptation. Just not sure it’s going to hit well with everyone.
Old 04-19-21, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I never thought I'd see a Marvel Legends figure based on Awkwafina in a dress and yet, here we are... (potential movie spoilers I guess):
If you'd said "here's Marvel's take on Mulan" i would have believed it
Old 04-19-21, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Actually question for people in this thread: I think this looks relatively engaging, but Black Widow looks cliche, bland, and boring. If this trailer isn't doing it for you, how do feel about Black Widow?
To be honest, both films look pretty blah.

Shang-Chi looks like it's either an adaption of a video game like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter, or one of those martial arts movies that started coming out after Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Black Widow
looks really banal, but gets a few bonus points for starring a hawt chick and featuring a known quantity.

Just going by the trailers, both movies are starring b-list characters, and neither looks like it has any connective tissue to the rest of the MCU. It will be interesting to see how these films fare at the box office. It feels like Disney sort of shot its load with Endgame, and everything that has followed -- Far From Home, Wandavision, Falcon & Winter Soldier, trailers for Black Widow and Shang-Chi -- all seem kind of second rate and bush league, more epilogues to that movie. It seems like the MCU is in a holding pattern, and not really building up to anything like the Inifinity Gauntlet.
Old 04-19-21, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

All those fight moves but he doesn't use the Ddong chim. Disappointed.
bmoney1023 (04-21-21)
Old 04-20-21, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It seems like the MCU is in a holding pattern, and not really building up to anything like the Inifinity Gauntlet.
Secret Invasion? Multi-verse? World building? It took 21 films to get to Endgame.. they're not even out of the gate with the next phase yet.
Old 04-20-21, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

I am fine with Endgame being the final chapter to the Marvel Universe for me. I will basically watch what comes next as a curiosity only as rentals. I do like the Fantastic Four but they mucked that up already with 2 average movies and one I refuse to watch.

Old 04-20-21, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

To me I’m still interested in the MCU, but some of the upcoming films like this and The Eternals I don’t have a lot of interest in.

I’m curious what the MCU versions of Fantastic Four and X-Men will be like. Also curious how Black Panther will be handled going forward after Boseman’s passing.

Plus characters like Doctor Strange and Spider-Man I still want to see continue.
Old 04-20-21, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 828 Likes on 549 Posts

I’m still invested. I’m really looking forward to Dr. Strange, Thor, Ant-man and GoG 3. Next would be Spider-Man and the Eternals. Lastly would be this and Black Widow.
I can’t think about Fantastic Four right now. I’ve been wanting to see them incorporated into the MCU for a while. It still seems like it’s gonna be quite some time.
Old 04-20-21, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Secret Invasion? Multi-verse? World building? It took 21 films to get to Endgame.. they're not even out of the gate with the next phase yet.
Isn't Secret Invasion a Disney + show?

It'll be interesting considering how they presented the skrulls in CM.
Old 04-20-21, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Isn't Secret Invasion a Disney + show?

It'll be interesting considering how they presented the skrulls in CM.
But you'd think that it will also be sprinkled thru the films...
Old 04-20-21, 11:54 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
But you'd think that it will also be sprinkled thru the films...
And lead up to Russo Bros. directed Secret Wars film!
Old 04-20-21, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Galactus seems like the next step. I’m wondering if Kang might be a bridge to that.
While I really want to see Doctor Doom, I hope he doesn’t get woefully underused like Red Skull. Doom needs to be more like Loki. Not the anti-hero, but a villain that’s around for a long, long time.
Red Skull and the Mandarin (im3 version) are the two most glaring mcu fuck ups in my opinion.
I'm still hoping for a Doom centric movie from his point of view, where he's the hero and he takes on all the MCU.
Old 04-20-21, 02:13 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I know absolutely nothing about this character, and didn't even know they were making this, but now that I've seen the trailer I'm in. This looks like fun! I'm sure they'll find a way to fit this into the larger MCU, most likely via post-credit scenes hinting at future involvement with the Avengers, et al.
Boondock Saint (04-20-21)
Old 04-20-21, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I know absolutely nothing about this character, and didn't even know they were making this, but now that I've seen the trailer I'm in. This looks like fun! I'm sure they'll find a way to fit this into the larger MCU, most likely via post-credit scenes hinting at future involvement with the Avengers, et al.
I've been enjoying a lot of Marvel-related 'Easter Egg" videos on YouTube that are based on new trailers, episodes of the TV shows, etc. Most of these are pretty deep dives from people (or teams of people) who seem to know the intricate histories of these characters both in print, tv or film. Lots of random useless trivia, too, but there's usually some interesting speculation in these things. Marvel clearly leaves very little, if anything, to chance in their shows and trailers, from the plotting and dialogue right down to seemingly insignificant little pieces of set dressing. I'll keep watching the Marvel movies, regardless – including SHANG-CHI, which I think looks like a lot of fun – because I've enjoyed all of them and their interconnectivity up to now and would actually be hard-pressed to rank them best-to-worst as many do (I even loved the twist in IRON MAN 3, which instantly left things open for a 'real' Mandarin to appear down the road). Plus I'm still intrigued by the various threads left hanging throughout the first three waves.

Last edited by Brian T; 04-20-21 at 03:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Brian T:
actionjackson29 (04-20-21), Bandoman (04-21-21), Boondock Saint (04-20-21)
Old 04-20-21, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

This looks okay, but it doesn't seem to have much personality other than a couple forced quips here and there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.