Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Destin Daniel Cretton)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Destin Daniel Cretton)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-21, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Destin Daniel Cretton)

Trailer didnt do much for me. Felt rather generic and if it didnt say Marvel on it i guess most people wouldnt have a clue. Early days though, so sure it will turn out an entertaining flick.
Old 04-19-21, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Guy Pearce wasn’t The Mandarin.

Old 04-19-21, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess I also have to watch that All Hail the King short. Never heard of it.
Old 04-19-21, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Actually question for people in this thread: I think this looks relatively engaging, but Black Widow looks cliche, bland, and boring. If this trailer isn't doing it for you, how do feel about Black Widow?
Old 04-19-21, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I guess I also have to watch that All Hail the King short. Never heard of it.
It was an extra on the Thor: The Dark World home release. It can also be found online. It's only like 14 minutes long.
Old 04-19-21, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Tony Leung! I'm impressed. I haven't seen him in anything since he played Ip Man in THE GRANDMASTER (2013). This appears to be his first Hollywood film.* It's about time.

(*Except for a bit part in the made-in-Hong Kong Chuck Norris movie, FORCED VENGEANCE, 1982.)
Old 04-19-21, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The Mandarin reveal in Iron Man 3 was the biggest letdown and misstep in the first decade of the MCU, in my opinion. They had a chance to make the 3rd movie really epic without Shane Black trying to fool everyone with his twist. Iron Man deserved to fight his nemesis before his demise.
Old 04-19-21, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Actually question for people in this thread: I think this looks relatively engaging, but Black Widow looks cliche, bland, and boring. If this trailer isn't doing it for you, how do feel about Black Widow?

I think Black Widow looks badass! I will be seeing that in theaters. Granted, I'll be seeing this in theaters too, but BW looks cool. IMO
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-19-21)
Old 04-19-21, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 828 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The Mandarin reveal in Iron Man 3 was the biggest letdown and misstep in the first decade of the MCU, in my opinion. They had a chance to make the 3rd movie really epic without Shane Black trying to fool everyone with his twist. Iron Man deserved to fight his nemesis before his demise.
This is why IM 3 is easily my least favorite mcu film. I never want to see it again.
Old 04-19-21, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

The Black Widow trailer looks like a generic Marvel movie too, but her family seems to be more entertaining as Awkwafina as a sidekick.
I sure the Shang-Chi movie will be better, but judging by the trailer, to me it looks like a movie version of Iron Fist.
IBJoel (04-19-21)
Old 04-19-21, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Runaway
The Black Widow trailer looks like a generic Marvel movie too, but her family seems to be more entertaining as Awkwafina as a sidekick.
I sure the Shang-Chi movie will be better, but judging by the trailer, to me it looks like a movie version of Iron Fist.
And see, conversely, I like Akwafina but am not interested in the "family" aspect of BW, outside of David Harbour.
Old 04-19-21, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The footage looks fun. Simu Liu looks good in his fight scene footage.

Awkwafina, while I do enjoy some of her stuff, seems to be playing the same type of character she usually plays. Tony Leung looks good for pushing 60.

I know this was filmed entirely on location on Australia, but I guess it takes place in California (San Francisco?) I noticed that bus say California.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-19-21 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-19-21, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The footage looks fun. Simu Liu looks good in his fight scene footage.

Awkwafina, while I do enjoy some of her stuff, seems to be playing the same type of character she usually plays. Tony Leung looks good for pushing 60.

I know this was filmed entirely on location on Australia, but I guess it takes place in California (San Francisco?) I noticed that noticed that bus say California.
Almost entirely, they shot in SF for a week or so.
The following 2 users liked this post by gmanca:
DJariya (04-19-21), IBJoel (04-19-21)
Old 04-19-21, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I never thought I'd see a Marvel Legends figure based on Awkwafina in a dress and yet, here we are... (potential movie spoilers I guess):
Spoiler:

IBJoel (04-19-21)
Old 04-19-21, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

And see, conversely, I like Akwafina but am not interested in the "family" aspect of BW, outside of David Harbour.
Either way MCU movies are by design pretty generic, that's part of the success, although there is a range from Captain Marvel (most generic) to Guardians of the Galaxy (most creative). Black Widow und Shang-Chi look like being nearer to Captain Marvel on the generic scale.

Shang-Chi is a pretty exciting IP though. His powers aren't that impressive, the character isn't known and he wasn't introduced or teased in another movie, maybe it will happen in Black Widow. With Guardians you had a unique world but Shang-Chi is not very spectacular from a marketing stand point, so I'm excited to see how they get around it, which I'm pretty sure they will.
Old 04-19-21, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Runaway
Either way MCU movies are by design pretty generic, that's part of the success, although there is a range from Captain Marvel (most generic) to Guardians of the Galaxy (most creative). Black Widow und Shang-Chi look like being nearer to Captain Marvel on the generic scale.

Shang-Chi is a pretty exciting IP though. His powers aren't that impressive, the character isn't known and he wasn't introduced or teased in another movie, maybe it will happen in Black Widow. With Guardians you had a unique world but Shang-Chi is not very spectacular from a marketing stand point, so I'm excited to see how they get around it, which I'm pretty sure they will.
Yeah, I'm curious if they'll give him powers. I know he could make duplicates of himself for a while, but they might go the "space magic" route, if his father is the Mandarin.
Old 04-19-21, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I don’t think that’s really a good comparison. Black Widow is well established by this point in the MCU. Had she been a fresh character when her first film came out I could see the comparison a bit more, but even then I think that trailer looks to have a bit more in the way of comic vibes.

To me with this if you stripped away the Marvel Studios tag at the beginning it almost wouldn’t even seem like a Marvel film.
Why So Blu? (04-19-21)
Old 04-19-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

It looks ok in a generic way. I will definitely see it but this is one I can honestly wait for on D+.
Old 04-19-21, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

So where is the MCU heading? Now that they have the rights to the FF4 I assume either Doom or (more likely) Galactus will be the next big threat?
Old 04-19-21, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
So where is the MCU heading? Now that they have the rights to the FF4 I assume either Doom or (more likely) Galactus will be the next big threat?
Hey, they have the X-men too. Dark Phoenix, take 22?
IBJoel (04-19-21)
Old 04-19-21, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm similarly disinterested in Black Widow.
IBJoel (04-19-21)
Old 04-19-21, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don’t think that’s really a good comparison. Black Widow is well established by this point in the MCU. Had she been a fresh character when her first film came out I could see the comparison a bit more, but even then I think that trailer looks to have a bit more in the way of comic vibes.

To me with this if you stripped away the Marvel Studios tag at the beginning it almost wouldn’t even seem like a Marvel film.
For me, Black Widow as a character simply doesn't have a hook. She's not superhuman and doesn't even have a gimmick, really. Hawkeye is easy to make jokes about, but at least his trick arrows are fun to watch. Her backstory in the MCU has always felt lackluster, too, because it's free of all of the real-world political implications of her actions. But that said, yeah, I'll see her movie in theaters and I have no bad blood for her fans, just not my thing.

I don't necessarily agree that this looks un-Marvel-y. I got major Black Panther vibes from it: "There's a whole other side of this world that you have no idea about." I'm also just straight up excited to see an Asian superhero.
Old 04-19-21, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Eric F
Based on The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and the leaks/rumors about Black Widow, it is possible that the overarching threat for Phase 4/5 will be.
Spoiler:
The Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers

Old 04-19-21, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

But really, the only reason it doesn't seem like a Marvel film is because you're not familiar with the character. If Shang Chi hadn't been mothballed for a couple of decades and was more of a known quantity with the general public, I think your reaction would be different. People would be like "OMG! Finally we get to see Razor Fist on the big screen!" As it is, it's hard to build up any expectations from the trailer because the character's lore is pretty unknown.
Old 04-19-21, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Between Madripoor and Razor Fist, the road to Wolverine is getting ever so close!!
IBJoel (04-19-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.