Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.56%
41.41%
21.88%
5.47%
4.69%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by windom
Did Thanos' minions know what his ultimate plan was? Did they realize they had a 50/50 shot of dying once he got all the stones?

Also, Thanos shouldn't have been so upset about killing Gamora since she might end up dying once he enacted his plan anyway. Or could he control the stones enough to have them save certain people?

Did the stones just wipe out intelligent creatures? Did they destroy half of all animal life also? If a culture depended on livestock to live, then wiping out half the people won't help if you wipe out half their animal resources also.

I hope we see these people in the next movie:
Spoiler:
With the stones he can probably bring back those he desires, or have them 'cull protected' to begin with.

He mentioned to Gamora that her planet is now thriving, so I'm assuming plant life and livestock, etc. was kinda spared.

If captain marvel is supposed to turn the tide, where the hell was she this whole time then? Hopefully somewhere that the infinity stones can't access cuz she may be dust too!
Old 05-03-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 986 Likes on 695 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by tanman
I agree with you on some points. But they still address that change did happen in every one of your examples. There is dialogue or something to that nature to indicate that it did happen and you have to think that these are still individual movies with different writers and directors so it's still incredible that there is as much continuity as there is.
Yes, they often acknowledge events in subsequent movies with a line of dialogue or two, but most of the time the consequences of the events are never exploited in any meaningful dramatic way. The rogue group of avengers coming out of civil war is a perfect example. The ending of that movie suggested a huge paradigm shift in the MCU. But in the end, what all came of it? Within 30 minutes of Infinity War the band is back together. Rhodey, arguably the most hard-line of the pro government side, and the dude who suffered the most loss coming out of Civil War, doesn't even think twice about rejoining the others. Delete the events of civil war from the MCU and assume the avengers never broke up and infinity war plays out no differently. And I'm pretty sure the creative team behind infinity war is the exact same as the one responsible for infinity war.

But I totally disagree with you on Winter Soldier. This is the movie that changed everything. This was a permanent change with permanent consequences across the entire MCU. Everything up to this point was built on Shield as an organization. All the threads lead to Shield and the events of the Avengers. Then it was all torn down with one movie. All of it. No more Shield and they had a TV show that was called Agents of Shield. That's ballsy. The continuity with watching Agents of Shield that week, then the Winter Soldier and then seeing how that fundamentally changed everything the next week on Agents of Shield was incredible and unfortunately I don't think that's something that will ever happen again. If you don't think there haven't been permanent consequences in the MCU you haven't been paying attention close enough.
I'll grant you that in a micro sense the dismantling of shield played into Cap's distrust of the government in civil war. But in a macro sense what actually changed? It didn't prevent Fury and Hill from coming to the rescue in a helicarrier at the end of Ultron. Other than Fury's absence in Civil War (which by all accounts seems to have more to do with Jackson's contact than any story decisions), shield being gone has changed nothing; at least nothing of consequence.

I don't understand people bitching about how we didn't see any major character die. This is obviously part 1 of 2 why would they kill off someone major now. We've only seen half the story and I think there will permanent consequences this time next year. I don't think the Russo bros will just snap and reverse everything to a happy ending. At least reserve judgement until the A4.
I don't care if major characters die or not. I just want there to be some tangible drama in these movies. The lack of any real stakes detaches me in a way that's pretty frustrating given that I do otherwise enjoy them. Of course this is nothing new for me. I've felt this way for years. I had even mostly come to terms with it in the aftermath of Ragnarok, which threw away even the pretense of drama and was simply satisfied with being the sugar rush that it was. Infinity War went the opposite direction and doubled down on the toothless drama.
Old 05-03-18, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
They will never, ever, ever use TV characters in the films. The film division doesn't give a shit about the TV division. Connection is one way. TV references the films and sometimes film characters appear on TV. Films never reference TV and TV characters never appear on flim.

I was almost positive that Agent Sitwell came from the TV show, but he made his first appearance in Thor.. or one of the dvd one shots. Though as someone mentioned, one of the TV eps led into the start of Avengers 2. I think the episode after led to the helicarrier rescue scene in Avengers 2 as well.
Old 05-03-18, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312

I'll grant you that in a micro sense the dismantling of shield played into Cap's distrust of the government in civil war. But in a macro sense what actually changed? It didn't prevent Fury and Hill from coming to the rescue in a helicarrier at the end of Ultron. Other than Fury's absence in Civil War (which by all accounts seems to have more to do with Jackson's contact than any story decisions), shield being gone has changed nothing; at least nothing of consequence.

Civil War had a permanent affect on the nation of Wakanda, with the Black Panther movie having to address the fallout of choosing a new King.

The dumping of shield's data into the public enabled Zemo to craft a plan to start a civil war.

I agree that there does appear to be a glossover or token acknowledgement of certain things, but if they put in all that you asked for, there would have to be an avengers movie every year, or this one would be 5 hours. Neither is realistic. On top of that an alien invasion with literal universe altering consequences, imo, takes priority over some hurt feelings and UN/Accords bureaucracy.
So let me ask you this, what changes would you have made?

Some options maybe:
- Not do civil war?
- Do civil war and not do infinity war?
- Postpone IW and have a secret avengers movie first?
- Change IW to civil war reconciliation and cut out half the roster in infinity war part 1. Then have GotG and others show up in IW part 2?
- something else?

Last edited by karoomba; 05-03-18 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler
Loved Rubberband Man.
Wait. T.I. was in this?

Old 05-03-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Friday's episode of Shield did casually mention that things were happening in New York. But, it was another character (not a regular) passing the word to one of the Shield characters. The Shield team is isolated and away from what's happening.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/...ty-war-tie-ins

Apparently there are more tie-ins to Infinity War to come.
Old 05-03-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchot
--Thanos's henchmen were pretty bland and not very memorable (cannon fodder) except for the tall, skinny dude--didn't catch his name--who provided some nice conflicts for the Avengers in the first half of the film.
It's Squidward.
Old 05-03-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
It's Squidward.
I assume they couldn't jokingly call him Voldemort due to legal restrictions. But the guy was definitely Voldemort's broh.
Old 05-03-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by karoomba
I was almost positive that Agent Sitwell came from the TV show, but he made his first appearance in Thor.. or one of the dvd one shots. Though as someone mentioned, one of the TV eps led into the start of Avengers 2. I think the episode after led to the helicarrier rescue scene in Avengers 2 as well.
Agent Sitwell was involved in one of the coolest moments in the TV/Movie universe when it still felt like they were connected. Yes, he was technically in the movies first, but he didn't really have any meaningful lines or any character to speak of.

So when the TV show started using him, fleshing him out, it made it mean more when he actually turns out to be Hydra in Winter Soldier. That was the first and last time that it felt like TV actually mattered.

Yes there were tie in's to Age of Ultron, but it really felt like the TV show being written around the movie and not the other way. If the TV show never happened, no one is asking where Fury got the hellicarrier.
Old 05-03-18, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Good grief, I noticed my theater is still running Black Panther through the weekend with multiple showtimes. Is this the first time two movies in the same franchise showed at the same time? Crazy thing is it is due to come out on blu-ray in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-03-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Good grief, I noticed my theater is still running Black Panther through the weekend with multiple showtimes. Is this the first time two movies in the same franchise showed at the same time? Crazy thing is it is due to come out on blu-ray in a couple of weeks.
Incredible Hulk and Iron Man were in theaters at the same time, with Iron Man still in the top 10.
Old 05-03-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I assume they couldn't jokingly call him Voldemort due to legal restrictions. But the guy was definitely Voldemort's broh.
He struck me as looking kind of Nick Cave-like.

Old 05-03-18, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Any more than Tony calling Hawkeye "Legolas?"
Old 05-03-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Man Dies While Watching Avengers: Infinity War

A 43-year-old Marvel fan died while watching the latest feature in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Joe and Anthony Russo's Avengers: Infinity War. Peddapasupula Baasha was watching the movie in India on Tuesday, and appears to have suffered a heart attack. Officials didn't discover the body right away because they saw him sitting in his seat, wearing 3D glasses, and it was assumed he was waiting for the end-credits scene, like most Marvel fans do.
Old 05-03-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck guys!

Did Thanos Kill You.
Old 05-03-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

He killed me on my laptop but spared me on my phone.
Old 05-03-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Spared. Yay!
Old 05-03-18, 06:37 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Saw it again. Even better the second time.
Old 05-03-18, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Good luck guys!

Did Thanos Kill You.
You were slain by Thanos, for the good of the Universe.

Old 05-03-18, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Good luck guys!

Did Thanos Kill You.
Seemed like a peaceful end to my over-consumption of resources.

The guy is a monster. But he has some good ideas. Stupid Avengers are going to ruin our planet.

#IDisintegrateForThanos
Old 05-03-18, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Old 05-03-18, 10:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts

i really think Thanos should go down in lore of great bad guys in movies...
Old 05-03-18, 10:47 PM

Didn't Scarlet Witch remake the universe one time in the comics? Better than time travel? Could make massive changes?

Coulson never died and is still in the MCMU?
Vision is still alive?
Captain America is alive but looks different (new actor with Evans out)?
Grey Hulk?
Rhodie never had his legs broken?
Iron Man looks different (cheaper actor)?
Asgard was never destroyed and Odin alive?
Black Widow fights topless?

While i don't really want to see those changes, save one, Scarlet witch or something Cosmic with Carol Danvers would be a great change of pace to it most likely being time travel
Old 05-03-18, 10:48 PM

Why didn't strange lock Thanos into a time loop like in his solo movie?
Won't let you loose until you give me your stones.
Old 05-04-18, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw
Why didn't strange lock Thanos into a time loop like in his solo movie?
Won't let you loose until you give me your stones.

That's probably already been answered in this thread, but I'll give it a shot. I had the same question at first, but my sister reminded me when he said he had seem millions of different possibilities but only one way to win. It's the same reason he gave Thanos the time stone. The only way to ultimately win was to let Thanos get all the stones and "win". It's the old "lose a battle to win the war" reasoning. We'll find out why in part 2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.