Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.56%
41.41%
21.88%
5.47%
4.69%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by GhostLee
Oh, and Mantis' trampoline act.
Second only to her "mean face" which slips by in the background.
Old 05-01-18, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Jon2
My thought is that Thanos got the "requirement" wrong... and why he will ultimately fail. The "requirement of a soul for a soul" was a test of hubris. It wasn't supposed to be that any soul would do... it was supposed to be the soul of whomever was seeking the stone.

Or not.
Hmm ... good theory. I felt that it was too literal and too easy, so you may be on to something.
Old 05-01-18, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I did say that I iked the movie, but there are way way too many superhero movies. I would love to see the studio take some risks and try and create new, interesting franchises for big budget movies with interesting and original concepts. I dont think that is unreasonable.

I dont hate Super Hero movies. i have enjoyed many, loved GOTG and Thor: Ragnarok and liked many others. Hated the Captain America movies and last Avengers movies. Dont love Iron Man.

But not liking Captain America and Iron Man does not equate to hating super hero movies, I just feel the genre is oversaturated and a break would be good.
This is Marvel studios. What would you like them to make? Also I don't think the genre is oversaturated at all. Just because there are superhero movies doesn't mean there can't be any other type of movie. Look at A Quiet Place, a great movie that played well with audiences and critics and exists despite being surrounded by superhero movies.

Also I don't see superhero movies as a genre and I know Kevin Feige doesn't either and they have done an excellent job keeping those movies fresh and new. Guardians of the Galaxy is a vastly different movie than Winter Soldier. They have had different genres within the larger umbrella of superhero movie. It's like saying there are too many comedies.
Old 05-01-18, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still missed Tobias Funke on my second viewing ... after seeing this gif I am not sure how I still missed it though.

Old 05-02-18, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/spi...rvel-timeline/

Joe Russo said in an interview the 8-years later title card (post battle of New York) in Spider-Man: Homecoming was wrong.

I don't recall the exact dialogue, but another article I read mentions that Tony said in Infinity War that the current events are 6 years after the New York attack. That would make no sense since Peter is working with them.

Bad oversight by the folks at Sony.
Old 05-02-18, 07:10 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

It would've been Marvel's oversight.
Old 05-02-18, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Glad to see 2018 has carried over the 2017 rule that it's totally cool and not at all vaguely racist to joke on "white people" all the time.
Yes my favorite part of the clip was when the host and audience raised onto their feet, applauded, and commended the twats who tweeted they hate white people as the coolest of cool and role models to all.
Old 05-02-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 986 Likes on 695 Posts

Saw this last night. I guess it was exactly what I expected it to be? I pretty much enjoyed every minute of it, but as is usually the case, I walk out of these movies feeling somewhat empty. No reason for Marvel to change up the formula 19 movies in, I suppose. The highlight was definitely seeing all of the various characters interacting with each other. Thor/Guardians was by far my favorite, mostly because Thor is by far my favorite of the main Avengers. I also thought his arrival in Wakanda was the best action moment in a movie where the action all feels pretty perfunctory. Other than the aforementioned Thor, that Wakanda battle was just a bunch of stuff that happened. No real drama or emotion, or even a clear sense of what was actually happening. The lack of any real stakes is a big reason, which brings me to the ending...

As a comic reader I'm well versed in the Infinity Guantlet storyline, but even without that fore-knowledge, who in their right mind would buy into this ending? Of course all of these characters are coming back. Of the 3 big ones who died pre-finger snap, Gamora is 100% coming back. And even though I think Loki and (maybe) Vision are goners, they're basically the two easiest characters to bring back if they so desire. All that being the case, why should I be invested in any of this? Marvel has a tendency to end their movies with some sort of shake-up to the status quo, but by the time the next movie starts up, those "major changes" are more or less ignored and any potential drama is flushed away. Shield is dismantled? Fury and Hill just get a new helicarrier and keep doing their thing. Nova Corps gets possession of the power stone? Thanos takes it from them off-screen. Tony has the arc reactor removed and retires? Nope, not really. After not retiring Tony leaves the Avengers so Cap can train a new team? Again, he never leaves. Loki fakes his death and dethrones Odin? Basically used as a joke. Rhodey is paralyzed? Slips on an exo-skeleton and doesn't miss a beat. Cap goes rogue and presumably forms an Avengers splinter group? Just an excuse to give Thunderbolt Ross a cameo and explain the absence of Hawkeye and Ant-Man. I could go on.

I know the nature of comics is that nothing really ever changes and these characters go on in perpetuity, but movies are a different medium. What works in comics doesn't work in the movies. And at least with comics you sometimes get years worth of issues before the status quo is reinstated. Hopefully Avengers 4 brings with it some sort of closure. So often these individual movies are compromised by their need to tie into the greater whole. It would all be worth it if it ended with a bang, but I just don't know at this point. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 05-02-18, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/spi...rvel-timeline/

Joe Russo said in an interview the 8-years later title card (post battle of New York) in Spider-Man: Homecoming was wrong.

I don't recall the exact dialogue, but another article I read mentions that Tony said in Infinity War that the current events are 6 years after the New York attack. That would make no sense since Peter is working with them.

Bad oversight by the folks at Sony.
If only Marvel offered a cinematic version of the No Prize that some lucky folks received back in the day when they would give you a pat on the back for catching an error in one of their comics (my brother even bought the No Prize comic that was produced that compiled quite a few of these errors under one book).

I kind of love that some of the mistakes/errors that slipped by in past comics are showing up in their films (whether the film is produced by Sony, Fox, or Marvel Studios).

It is such a a wonderful time to be a comic fan because while I have basically stopped buying comics on a monthly basis I feel that I can get my fix by going to the movies as a new comic book type film seems to pop up every few months...so awesome and not something I would have imagined would come to pass when I was a teenager.
Old 05-02-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

$800 million in 5 days, $300 million domestically. Whoa.
Old 05-02-18, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I still missed Tobias Funke on my second viewing ... after seeing this gif I am not sure how I still missed it though.

I was specifically looking for him in my 2nd viewing as well and did not see him.
Old 05-02-18, 04:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts

Avengers: Infinity War...best Marvel movie in their cinematic universe. i was gasping for breath. loved everything about it. no one was shoe-horned in, no one felt unnecessary, everyone had purpose. it's really the pinnacle of this pantheon of films.

best and most powerful bad guy in MCU and Thanos (played brilliantly or voice-acted brilliantly by Brolin (he might have mo-capped too)) should be considered as one of best baddies of all-time. my gosh was i literally gasping at moments.

it was all thrilling. and the humor, my god the humor. perfect and felt natural, especially between Tony and Peter. made that end scene with them, richer. i really haven't seen a better action movie in quite sometime. this is '5 stars' and i don't use that term lightly. last movie gave that to was Wonder last year and then Brooklyn before that in 2015. before that i couldn't even hesitate to guess.

couldn't have asked for better in a film of this genre. action, suspense, thrills, romance, emotion, just perfect. and that ending, holy fuck.

please someone spoil and tell me who Fury sent page to...
Old 05-02-18, 04:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Captain Marvel. That was her insignia.
Old 05-02-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Avengers: Infinity War...best Marvel movie in their cinematic universe. i was gasping for breath. loved everything about it. no one was shoe-horned in, no one felt unnecessary, everyone had purpose. it's really the pinnacle of this pantheon of films.

best and most powerful bad guy in MCU and Thanos (played brilliantly or voice-acted brilliantly by Brolin (he might have mo-capped too)) should be considered as one of best baddies of all-time. my gosh was i literally gasping at moments.

it was all thrilling. and the humor, my god the humor. perfect and felt natural, especially between Tony and Peter. made that end scene with them, richer. i really haven't seen a better action movie in quite sometime. this is '5 stars' and i don't use that term lightly. last movie gave that to was Wonder last year and then Brooklyn before that in 2015. before that i couldn't even hesitate to guess.

couldn't have asked for better in a film of this genre. action, suspense, thrills, romance, emotion, just perfect. and that ending, holy fuck.

please someone spoil and tell me who Fury sent page to...
Spoiler:
Captain Marvel (Brie Larson)
Old 05-02-18, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
I was specifically looking for him in my 2nd viewing as well and did not see him.
that is funny, i saw that in the credits, "Arrested Development character thanks to or whatever...", but had no idea where or if it was mentioned. that is hilarious. do the Russo's have ties to it or something?
Old 05-02-18, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit
Captain Marvel. That was her insignia.
ah man, if i knew that i probably would have gotten chills. i actually thought she was riding with Fury, but then turned out to be Smulder's character...
Old 05-02-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

It’s been asked a couple of times and not answered that I’ve seen, so here ya go.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...er-egg-1107087

The Russo bros directed an episode or more of AD, and actually wanted David Cross to cameo.
Old 05-02-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

How in the hell did I miss that!?!?
Old 05-02-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not a fan of Arrested Development, but I did catch it when I saw the movie the 3rd time (wasn't intending to see it that often, just happened out of chance/convenience).
Old 05-02-18, 08:24 PM

Already have the 3D UK Blu preordered. Can’t wait to see this again!
Old 05-02-18, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Saw this last night. I guess it was exactly what I expected it to be? I pretty much enjoyed every minute of it, but as is usually the case, I walk out of these movies feeling somewhat empty. No reason for Marvel to change up the formula 19 movies in, I suppose. The highlight was definitely seeing all of the various characters interacting with each other. Thor/Guardians was by far my favorite, mostly because Thor is by far my favorite of the main Avengers. I also thought his arrival in Wakanda was the best action moment in a movie where the action all feels pretty perfunctory. Other than the aforementioned Thor, that Wakanda battle was just a bunch of stuff that happened. No real drama or emotion, or even a clear sense of what was actually happening. The lack of any real stakes is a big reason, which brings me to the ending...

As a comic reader I'm well versed in the Infinity Guantlet storyline, but even without that fore-knowledge, who in their right mind would buy into this ending? Of course all of these characters are coming back. Of the 3 big ones who died pre-finger snap, Gamora is 100% coming back. And even though I think Loki and (maybe) Vision are goners, they're basically the two easiest characters to bring back if they so desire. All that being the case, why should I be invested in any of this? Marvel has a tendency to end their movies with some sort of shake-up to the status quo, but by the time the next movie starts up, those "major changes" are more or less ignored and any potential drama is flushed away. Shield is dismantled? Fury and Hill just get a new helicarrier and keep doing their thing. Nova Corps gets possession of the power stone? Thanos takes it from them off-screen. Tony has the arc reactor removed and retires? Nope, not really. After not retiring Tony leaves the Avengers so Cap can train a new team? Again, he never leaves. Loki fakes his death and dethrones Odin? Basically used as a joke. Rhodey is paralyzed? Slips on an exo-skeleton and doesn't miss a beat. Cap goes rogue and presumably forms an Avengers splinter group? Just an excuse to give Thunderbolt Ross a cameo and explain the absence of Hawkeye and Ant-Man. I could go on.

I know the nature of comics is that nothing really ever changes and these characters go on in perpetuity, but movies are a different medium. What works in comics doesn't work in the movies. And at least with comics you sometimes get years worth of issues before the status quo is reinstated. Hopefully Avengers 4 brings with it some sort of closure. So often these individual movies are compromised by their need to tie into the greater whole. It would all be worth it if it ended with a bang, but I just don't know at this point. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I agree with you on some points. But they still address that change did happen in every one of your examples. There is dialogue or something to that nature to indicate that it did happen and you have to think that these are still individual movies with different writers and directors so it's still incredible that there is as much continuity as there is.

But I totally disagree with you on Winter Soldier. This is the movie that changed everything. This was a permanent change with permanent consequences across the entire MCU. Everything up to this point was built on Shield as an organization. All the threads lead to Shield and the events of the Avengers. Then it was all torn down with one movie. All of it. No more Shield and they had a TV show that was called Agents of Shield. That's ballsy. The continuity with watching Agents of Shield that week, then the Winter Soldier and then seeing how that fundamentally changed everything the next week on Agents of Shield was incredible and unfortunately I don't think that's something that will ever happen again. If you don't think there haven't been permanent consequences in the MCU you haven't been paying attention close enough.

I don't understand people bitching about how we didn't see any major character die. This is obviously part 1 of 2 why would they kill off someone major now. We've only seen half the story and I think there will permanent consequences this time next year. I don't think the Russo bros will just snap and reverse everything to a happy ending. At least reserve judgement until the A4.
Old 05-02-18, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I like what the writers had to say about the ending and people knowing that some characters will obviously be back:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/a...1EK#.jtDxyGVWZ

Because these characters are almost certainly returning for more movies down the line, audiences could come to regard the deaths in Infinity War cynically. But Markus and McFeely said they had to set aside that kind of thinking when writing Infinity War.

“We can’t make movies assuming you know how movies get made,” said McFeely. “We can just tell the best version of the story we can, and hopefully you are investing in that story while you’re in it, and you feel appropriate sadness or joy while you’re in it. We can’t account for having one step outside the movie theater while you’re watching it. We would be terrible storytellers if we did that.”
A lot of other good quotes in that article.
Old 05-02-18, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Did Thanos' minions know what his ultimate plan was? Did they realize they had a 50/50 shot of dying once he got all the stones?

Also, Thanos shouldn't have been so upset about killing Gamora since she might end up dying once he enacted his plan anyway. Or could he control the stones enough to have them save certain people?

Did the stones just wipe out intelligent creatures? Did they destroy half of all animal life also? If a culture depended on livestock to live, then wiping out half the people won't help if you wipe out half their animal resources also.

I hope we see these people in the next movie:
Spoiler:
Old 05-03-18, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I like what the writers had to say about the ending and people knowing that some characters will obviously be back:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/a...1EK#.jtDxyGVWZ

A lot of other good quotes in that article.
Great article! Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-03-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Caught the noon showing yesterday. It was the largest theater in the complex but there were only about two dozen others in attendance.

Have some conflicting feelings that I'm still trying to process.

In the moment, watching it unfold, I was frequently in awe. It wasn't just the events on screen, it was how well things were crafted. The editing in particular merited high praise. The film not only was paced well, but some of the scene changes were magnificent and in the tradition of the best sequential artists leading your eye from panel to panel.

Haven't read the quasi-source material, so all this stuff was new to me. People have recapped it for me, and I've always thought it sounded too cheesy to bother actually reading it. Similar material in the film had me invested and I can finally understand the appeal of Thanos. Hell of a job by Brolin too.

While this was a mostly enormously impressive capper for (almost) 19 films of build up, on the ride home afterwards the feeling started to creep in that it really wasn't as great as the sum of it's many parts. The next film will tell the tale because they can still retroactively muck it up with some poor choices in Pt 4.
They also can't misstep with the Captain Marvel solo film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.