Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.56%
41.41%
21.88%
5.47%
4.69%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 05-04-18, 04:37 PM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by slop101
Here's something I hadn't thought of until now - wonder if they'll use the infinity stones to bring all the franchises that Disney bought (X-men, F4) into the fold somehow...
They haven’t bought anything yet.
Old 05-04-18, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by windom

Did the stones just wipe out intelligent creatures? Did they destroy half of all animal life also? If a culture depended on livestock to live, then wiping out half the people won't help if you wipe out half their animal resources also.
What about the worlds that Thanos has already "balanced?" Are they down to a quarter of their population?

All nit picky jokes aside, this was one hell of a movie. Loved every second of it. The payoff will be astounding. I just wonder what they plan to do long term after this. Not a lot you can do to top bringing in every character you have and killing half the beings in the entire universe. Even a proper Galactus storyline will pale in comparison. And DC? Shit, they might as well just stop.
Old 05-04-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
What about the worlds that Thanos has already "balanced?" Are they down to a quarter of their population?

All nit picky jokes aside, this was one hell of a movie. Loved every second of it. The payoff will be astounding. I just wonder what they plan to do long term after this. Not a lot you can do to top bringing in every character you have and killing half the beings in the entire universe. Even a proper Galactus storyline will pale in comparison. And DC? Shit, they might as well just stop.
I think it's a perfect time to retire some of these characters (since the actors want out anyway) and focus elsewhere (I would love it if they actually got the rights to and rebooted FF and X-men right after this). Maybe the Avengers movie franchise sticks around as like the big crossover event every once in a while, but otherwise it's not like the scale and scope of the original Avengers movie killed interest in the relatively smaller stakes individual movies.

I do wonder how Ant Man and Wasp will do after this, but it's probably different enough that it'll still stand out. I'm sure Captain Marvel as a tie in will do great. They've tried for so long on the comics side to make Captain Marvel popular, pretty much forcing her down our throats, and a little icon on a beeper in a post credits scene did more to excite me about the character.
Old 05-04-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

A few Russo explanations - https://io9.gizmodo.com/joe-russo-ga...ait-1825776831

Where’s Valkyrie?

Infinity War opens after Thanos and the Black Order have already attacked Thor’s ship containing the universe’s last surviving Asgardians. While there’s a brief mention that half of the ship’s passengers managed to escape, there’s quite a bit of confusion as to whether Valkyrie in particular survived. When asked about the warrior’s fate, Russo was straight and to the point:
There certainly were survivors—Thor does say to the Guardians that [Thanos] slaughtered half his people [but] prior to the start of that scene escape ships were deployed for Asgardians—including Valkyrie.
More in the article regarding Gamora, Thanos wiping himself out, and the end credit sequence.
Old 05-04-18, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
In the end credits while I was waiting for the end scene, I noticed they credited some character that was 'property of the show Curb Your Enthusiasm' ...? What character in the movie came from this show?
Are you sure it was that? There was a credit to Fox for Tobias from Arrested Development. The Russo Bros. worked on that series. He's seen in the part with The Collector (I didn't see him but my friend did and I noticed the credit).
Old 05-04-18, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Did Thanos' minions know what his ultimate plan was? Did they realize they had a 50/50 shot of dying once he got all the stones?

Also, Thanos shouldn't have been so upset about killing Gamora since she might end up dying once he enacted his plan anyway. Or could he control the stones enough to have them save certain people?

Did the stones just wipe out intelligent creatures? Did they destroy half of all animal life also? If a culture depended on livestock to live, then wiping out half the people won't help if you wipe out half their animal resources also.
Re: 12% of a plan — A major component of Thanos’s plan was that the culling would be indiscriminate. It was to be purely random. Wealth, status, gender, power — none of it played a factor. Presumably this was still the case when he used the Infinity Gauntlet to achieve this. Particularly since half of his “enemies” lived.

Re: Killing Gamora — Yes, there was a 50/50 chance she died anyway. However I don’t think her dying randomly is the same as Thanos having to directly kill her by his own hand.

Re: Will I dream, Dave? — What was killed and what wasn’t is an interesting question. What is considered an intelligent creature vs. food when both consume resources? I don’t have an answer, but it’s interesting. As others have pointed out, some characters come from small populations or dying species ... do they get treated differently?
Old 05-04-18, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did they mention anything about why Widow has blonde hair now? Or is that like a C3PO has a red arm and you have to read some side story on why?
Originally Posted by karoomba
I think its reasonable to expect it was a change to stay incognito since she's a wanted criminal now. Same with cap growing a beard and growing out his hair.
That, but ... she could have just put on a plain ball cap (with no logo).
Old 05-04-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Here's something I hadn't thought of until now - wonder if they'll use the infinity stones to bring all the franchises that Disney bought (X-men, F4) into the fold somehow...
Likely not, at least due to the infinity stones. If the deal goes through, down the road they could do a version of the 2015 Secret Wars which would result in different universes combining into one.
More likely they’d just start fresh with those characters, though (and pray they don’t screw up the Wolverine casting).
Old 05-04-18, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here’s another “why didn’t ...?”

Thor aimed for Thanos’s heart with Stormbreaker. Thanos said he should have aimed for his head. Why didn’t he just aim for his arm and cut the Gauntlet off?
Old 05-04-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
But is he really dead? His family will shit when he comes back home after Avengers 4.

BTW, I’m calling the movie poster now: 4vengers

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Good luck guys!

Did Thanos Kill You.
Nice knowing you ...

Old 05-04-18, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Has there been any speculation on what the next films title will be?

What would be a good title, that at the same time spoils what happened in this one?

If this is a quasi rapture situation, there is going to be a lot of devastation to navigate for the people that are left from the loss of people operating heavy machinery, flying planes, driving, steering ships, etc
Old 05-04-18, 07:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Avengers: End Game
Old 05-04-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe Infinity Quest or something. I’m guessing it’s got something to do with Captain Marvel traveling through time to save Earth and The Avengers.

One thing I find curious is why only the core Avengers survived but also Rocket did. I know it’s random but all the other heroes died.
Old 05-04-18, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

What would be a good title, that at the same time spoils what happened in this one?

If this is a quasi rapture situation, there is going to be a lot of devastation to navigate for the people that are left from the loss of people operating heavy machinery, flying planes, driving, steering ships, etc
Avengers:Heroes Reborn?
Avengers:Heroes Return?
Avengers: Infinity Crusade?
Avengers: Thanos War?
Avengers: Secret Wars?
Avengers: Infinity Abyss?

Thanos War could lead to Sylvester Stallone group of Ravagers/Original Guardians of the Galaxy to be part of the team fighting Thanos.
Old 05-04-18, 07:26 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Avengers 4: Infinity Crusade should be the title if they stick with naming the films after comic storylines.
Old 05-04-18, 07:27 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
That, but ... she could have just put on a plain ball cap (with no logo).
Exactly! Surprised they didn't go that route, even in battle.
Old 05-04-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Re: Will I dream, Dave? — What was killed and what wasn’t is an interesting question. What is considered an intelligent creature vs. food when both consume resources? I don’t have an answer, but it’s interesting. As others have pointed out, some characters come from small populations or dying species ... do they get treated differently?
Overall, Thanos plan is still flawed as all he did was slow the process. Should he live another hundred generations, who's to say he would have to commit the purge once again?
Old 05-04-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

Avengers: Infinity War Part 2

Spoils this one, accurately describes the next one.
Old 05-04-18, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Here’s another “why didn’t ...?”

Thor aimed for Thanos’s heart with Stormbreaker. Thanos said he should have aimed for his head. Why didn’t he just aim for his arm and cut the Gauntlet off?
I've only seen it once, did he say head or hand? I actually thought he said "hand."
Old 05-04-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Yeah, they should have chopped his hand off - fuck the pulling the gauntlet off -- slice that hand right off. Wait, this is a kid's film - they're not chopping shit off.
Old 05-04-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it’s Disney so it’s such a kids film.
Old 05-04-18, 09:25 PM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts

The New Avengers
The Mighty Avengers
The Marvelous Avengers
Old 05-04-18, 10:20 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Avengers Forever?
Old 05-04-18, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Rise of the Avengers.
Old 05-04-18, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I kinda find it funny people are curious where Valkyrie or Korg are at. The Thor films are practically a running gag of characters not being written in for one reason or another. Jane Foster and her friend, Lady Sif .....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.