Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.56%
41.41%
21.88%
5.47%
4.69%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-18, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Hey, remember pages ago when I expected the guys who doesn't like Marvel movies to chime in? For whatever reason Corvin hasn't liked most Marvel movies, so i'm not too surprised at being only the 2nd odd man out

Strange giving up the time stone made perfect sense, and it's been mentioned and discussed here a few times. I don't see how it's any where close to the "Martha" sequence, sounds like you just didn't put two and two together from Strange's previous scenes.

For what it's worth, Joe Russo explained the take on Hulk/Banner - http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/...have-a-problem

Speaking on the Happy Sad Confused podcast (via ComicBook.com), Russo revealed why the green guy doesn't pop up through most of Avengers: Infinity War — even as Bruce Banner pleads for him to come out. "I think people have interpreted it as Hulk’s scared," the co-director said. "I mean, certainly, that’s not a … I don’t know that the Hulk is ever ... he’s had his ass kicked before, and he loves a good fight. But I think that it’s really reflective of the journey from [Thor] Ragnarok.

"These two characters are constantly in conflict with each other over control. And I think that if the Hulk were to say why, it’d be Banner only wants Hulk for fighting. I think he’s had enough of saving Banner’s a**."
Old 05-12-18, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Saw it for a second time finally. Still as awesome the second time around and I could go to it again. I’m curious as to what the explanation is going to be for Fury not calling on Captain Marvel before this film if he’s known her since the nineties. Also still really curious about the deaths. Obviously we all expect them to be mostly undone but the writers have come out as saying they really are dead. It’ll be interesting to see what they do to get around them. Looking forward to rewatching Black Panther next week after seeing this again and am also anticipating Ant-Man and The Wasp.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
- Then the MCU has their "Martha!" moment when Strange just gives Thanos the stone. "it was the only thing to do." or some other bullshit line. The only thing? Really? How about we send the stone to another dimension, or something. Send it through a portal to the bottom of the Mariana Trench or something. Drop it in a volcano, LOTR style. Far reaches of space? You know, anything. Nope. Here you go Thanos, "Have fun storming the castle!" Quite possibly the dumbest thing in all the MCU.
I don’t see how the two are even close. The Martha thing is an incredibly stupid plot device to make Batman and Superman best friends after practically killing each other. Doctor Strange clearly explains that they only win one way after he views future outcomes. It’s at least explained prior to it happening and isn’t just thrown in for convenience.
Old 05-12-18, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

- during the first battle Iron Man pulls out a sword/shield looking thing which Thanos takes and stabs him with. Coulda used it on the arm. Spider-man and IM were free to do whatever they wanted as they were just fiddling with the gauntlet while everyone else held him down.
- They could have destroyed Vision's stone long before Thanos was on to them, he even volunteered to sacrifice himself.
- Strange's 14m:1 odds thing makes sense why he gave up the stone, but not any less dumb.

Originally Posted by Mike86
Also still really curious about the deaths. Obviously we all expect them to be mostly undone but the writers have come out as saying they really are dead.

Have they? I call bullshit. Black Panther made 1.3b dollars. They aren't killing that cash cow. He's not dead. Spider-man? Hugely successful relaunch and just brought into the MCU fold. Again, not dead. Leave those two out of the vanishing and it would have been more believable, but those two ruin any impact the other deaths may have had.

I'm assuming the remaining heroes get the gauntlet or time stone back and somehow reverse time to a point prior to Tyrion making the gauntlet. Boom. All is undone and everyone is alive and ready to make money in their sequels.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Hey, remember pages ago when I expected the guys who doesn't like Marvel movies to chime in? For whatever reason Corvin hasn't liked most Marvel movies, so i'm not too surprised at being only the 2nd odd man out
I'm not going back through 17 pages. I assumed I was the only 'meh.' I didn't hate it but it wasn't as awesome as I was expecting. It was still very entertaining. During the first half I was thinking, damn, I might finally add another MCU movie to my collection, but by the end it felt like one viewing is enough.
Old 05-12-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Have they? I call bullshit. Black Panther made 1.3b dollars. They aren't killing that cash cow. He's not dead. Spider-man? Hugely successful relaunch and just brought into the MCU fold. Again, not dead. Leave those two out of the vanishing and it would have been more believable, but those two ruin any impact the other deaths may have had.

I'm assuming the remaining heroes get the gauntlet or time stone back and somehow reverse time to a point prior to Tyrion making the gauntlet. Boom. All is undone and everyone is alive and ready to make money in their sequels.
They're dead in the current/prime (whatever the fuck you want to call it) timeline. If there is a time jump in A4, then we're probably getting alternate timeline where some of these events will be undone via Timestone or some other time travel device that will follow Timecop, Terminator 2, Star Trek or Back to the Future rules.

I still say if they were going to kill these heroes only to bring them back, why not go all out with some amazing, Boromir-style, epic deaths and have some fun with it?
Old 05-12-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not going back through 17 pages. I assumed I was the only 'meh.' I didn't hate it but it wasn't as awesome as I was expecting. It was still very entertaining. During the first half I was thinking, damn, I might finally add another MCU movie to my collection, but by the end it felt like one viewing is enough.
I wasn't expecting you to, I'm just going by the poll results where you're only the 2nd three star vote on the forum and I just recall you actively being one of the few that seem to dislike a lot of the MCU movies.

Anyway, regarding the characters "dying" at the end, I'll repost what the writers had said about it that I really liked:

Because these characters are almost certainly returning for more movies down the line, audiences could come to regard the deaths in Infinity War cynically. But Markus and McFeely said they had to set aside that kind of thinking when writing Infinity War.

“We can’t make movies assuming you know how movies get made,” said McFeely. “We can just tell the best version of the story we can, and hopefully you are investing in that story while you’re in it, and you feel appropriate sadness or joy while you’re in it. We can’t account for having one step outside the movie theater while you’re watching it. We would be terrible storytellers if we did that.”
I can see why there are viewers that can't shake real world movie knowledge when watching things like this, I know I certainly was telling people "they already announced Spider-Man 2 and Guardians 3!" after the movie. But to me, it's not just about already knowing what's coming next in real life but being invested in the story that's being told on the screen. Just like any other action movie (or actual comic book), yeah you know the hero makes it through and every comic book fan knows no one stays dead, but it doesn't mean the stories being presented aren't compelling. It's why I never care so much about spoilers; it's not knowing the end result, but how they get there.

Yeah, we all know there's no way Black Panther or Spider-Man stay "dead" in the universe. What keeps me invested is how they get saved and hoping the writers can tell an interesting and cohesive enough story to explain it. Infinity War worked for me because Thanos was a fascinating villain and I was genuinely shocked when the characters disappeared and the villain ends up triumphant, unlike say Superman's death in Batman v Superman where it just didn't feel earned in the scope of the movie.

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-12-18 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-12-18, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

BTW, the characters that "died" after Thanos snapped his fingers are "dead" insomuch that they're trapped inside the soul gem. Just saying.
Old 05-12-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wasn't expecting you to, I'm just going by the poll results where you're only the 2nd three star vote on the forum and I just recall you actively being one of the few that seem to dislike a lot of the MCU movies.
I know, I'm dead inside or something.
Old 05-12-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a segment of an article with some quotes about the deaths and Avengers 4. Obviously we all know though that there can be some type of workaround.

In an interview with BuzzFeed, the writers of Avengers: Infinity War, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, talked about their experience writing Infinity War and next year’s sequel. And they said the deaths are real. The characters might not just be resurrected as we all expect them to be.

“[Avengers 4] doesn’t do what you think it does,” Markus said. “It is a different movie than you think it is.”

“Also…[the deaths are] real. I just want to tell you it’s real, and the sooner you accept that the sooner you will be able to move on to the next stage of grief.”

“Put it this way,” McFeely added. “I think [Infinity War] is a fairly mature movie for a blockbuster. It’s got a lot of fun in it, obviously, but boy, it gets very mature. The second one is also mature. We’re going to own these choices, and hopefully surprise and delight you and get you invested. It’s by the same studio, the same filmmaking team. They were written at the same time, shot at the same time. They’re clearly connected, but they are definitely two different movies, one of which is dependent on what happened previously.”

“We broke your heart,” added Markus. “Now we’re going to blow your mind!”
Who knows what’s going to happen though but it’s curious as they’ve said no one is guessing what’s coming next.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-12-18 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-12-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Yeah, I call BS, no way the deaths are "real" unless they're using semantics. I mean, I think it's cool that it wasn't just all the b and c-list heroes that disappeared, but no, they're (most of them anyway) coming back.
Old 05-12-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Yeah, they should have had Spider-Man and Black Panther live if they wanted to maintain the illusion. Knowing they have movies coming out pretty much kills the idea that their deaths are final.
Old 05-12-18, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, it's "real" in the scope of what's happening in that universe. I don't necessarily think real means permanent in that regard. Or maybe they'll mess with alternate timelines/universes so that it's real in that timeline but they get saved in another.
Old 05-12-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I appreciate the writers' thoughts about the deaths and how they can't assume viewers know what's going on being the scenes. However, if we are supposed to take them at face value, then I don't think the movie did a good enough job selling the moment. If they really are intent on killing of half the cast, it certainly didn't feel like the holy f moment that it should have.

I think the other main issue I have with the deaths is that they came at the end of what is essentially Thanos's movie. I know we have a decade's worth of investment in the characters, but the movie has to work on its own to a certain degree. It's the same deal with the original Infinity Guantlet comics. That was a Thanos story. The difference was that even though half the heroes were killed in the comics as well, it wasn't treated as the culmination of the marvel comic universe. It was the culmination of Thanos's story. The heroes dying was just part of Thanos's journey and their resurrection was always treated as inevitable. It wasn't their story and it wouldn't make sense to kill them all off for real in that venue.
Old 05-12-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if the deaths open the door to an alternate universe which will act as a reboot point for the MCU.
Old 05-12-18, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read this theory that I haven’t seen mentioned here yet (unless I missed it). Dr. Strange cast a mirror universe spell on Thanos during their earlier battle on Titan, it was the crystal looking wall. As he previously explained in Doctor Strange, whatever happens inside the spell doesn’t affect the world outside the spell. Thanos’s reality is altered and he thinks he won. Everybody “dying” is from his point of view. Hulk didn’t appear because in reality there was no threat to Banner. It’s also why Strange gave up the Time stone to save Stark, something he said he wouldn’t do.

I’ve only seen Infinity War once and it’s been a while since I’ve seen Doctor Strange, but I just thought I’d throw this out there.
Old 05-12-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That would actually be a really interesting idea.
Old 05-12-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I appreciate the writers' thoughts about the deaths and how they can't assume viewers know what's going on being the scenes. However, if we are supposed to take them at face value, then I don't think the movie did a good enough job selling the moment. If they really are intent on killing of half the cast, it certainly didn't feel like the holy f moment that it should have.
Can't please everyone, but I thought they absolutely nailed it.

Originally Posted by birdseye
I read this theory that I haven’t seen mentioned here yet (unless I missed it). Dr. Strange cast a mirror universe spell on Thanos during their earlier battle on Titan, it was the crystal looking wall. As he previously explained in Doctor Strange, whatever happens inside the spell doesn’t affect the world outside the spell. Thanos’s reality is altered and he thinks he won. Everybody “dying” is from his point of view. Hulk didn’t appear because in reality there was no threat to Banner. It’s also why Strange gave up the Time stone to save Stark, something he said he wouldn’t do.

I’ve only seen Infinity War once and it’s been a while since I’ve seen Doctor Strange, but I just thought I’d throw this out there.
Anything, in any media, that is essentially "it didn't really happen" sounds terrible to me
Old 05-12-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Anyway, regarding the characters "dying" at the end, I'll repost what the writers had said about it that I really liked:

I can see why there are viewers that can't shake real world movie knowledge when watching things like this, I know I certainly was telling people "they already announced Spider-Man 2 and Guardians 3!" after the movie. But to me, it's not just about already knowing what's coming next in real life but being invested in the story that's being told on the screen. Just like any other action movie (or actual comic book), yeah you know the hero makes it through and every comic book fan knows no one stays dead, but it doesn't mean the stories being presented aren't compelling. It's why I never care so much about spoilers; it's not knowing the end result, but how they get there.

Yeah, we all know there's no way Black Panther or Spider-Man stay "dead" in the universe. What keeps me invested is how they get saved and hoping the writers can tell an interesting and cohesive enough story to explain it. Infinity War worked for me because Thanos was a fascinating villain and I was genuinely shocked when the characters disappeared and the villain ends up triumphant, unlike say Superman's death in Batman v Superman where it just didn't feel earned in the scope of the movie.
Agree. The whole point of going to a movie (especially one like this ) is to suspend your disbelief for a bit and get lost in the moment. It's kind of like professional wrestling. Everyone "knows" it's fake, but when you're watching you just believe what you see for a moment. The writers can't take the "everyone's been reading the internet and knows the future of these movies" approach or the effect would be ruined. A man named Vince Russo tried that in the final years of a wrestling promotion with disastrous results.
Old 05-12-18, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Directors Reveal Who Died And Survived Off Screen
The Russo brothers confirm who’s safe and who bit the dust.
headshot
By Bill Bradley

There are “Avengers: Infinity War” spoilers below. Obviously.

Aw, snap!

Thanos’ deadly finger snap at the end of “Avengers: Infinity War” caused a number of fan-favorite Marvel characters to crumble into ash before our very eyes.

But given the conceit ― Thanos destroyed half the life in the universe with that single snap ― many were left wondering: What happened to everyone off screen?

In an interview with HuffPost on Friday, directors Joe and Anthony Russo revealed the fates of various Marvel characters we didn’t see in “Infinity War.” Did they turn into dust? Are they safe? Are their statuses too spoilery to even talk about?

The brothers prefaced their responses by saying that they would need to censor themselves when it came to certain Avengers and their associates. But without further ado, here are the off-screen characters who died and survived in “Infinity War”:

Howard the Duck (Seth Green)
Director comments: “He survived,” said Joe.

Thoughts: Howard made appearances in both “Guardians of the Galaxy” movies, and it looks like he’s going to have a chance to make it a hat trick in “Guardians 3.”

Jane Foster (Natalie Portman)
Director comments: “When we say spoiler, [we mean] potential spoiler,” Anthony clarified after I was a bit shocked they couldn’t comment on Jane.

Thoughts: Whoa, what? Natalie Portman hasn’t been a part of the MCU since “Thor: The Dark World” back in 2013. However, Portman has said she’d be open to returning to the Marvel realm, so maybe a Thor-Jane reunion is on the horizon.

Actor Loki (Matt Damon)
Director comments: “Did not survive,” said Joe.

Thoughts: Matt Deadman, amirite?

Betty Ross (Liv Tyler)
Director comments: “Gone,” said Joe.

Thoughts: Betty Ross was last seen in “Incredible Hulk” (2008), but she was rumored to appear in “Infinity War.” That didn’t happen, and there’s probably not much hope for an “Avengers 4” cameo either since now she’s a pile of dust.

Korg and Miek (Taika Waititi)
Director comments: “Spoiler,” said Joe.

Thoughts: Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige said there are big plans for “Thor Ragnarok” fan favorites Korg and Miek. We know half of the peeps on the Asgardian ship escaped from Thanos, so it looks this rock guy and that insect/slug thing are going to be around for a while. #SlugLife.

Shuri (Letitia Wright)

Thoughts: In interviews, the Russo brothers have mentioned Shuri as a possible replacement for Black Panther, so it doesn’t make sense why they wouldn’t just say she’s OK. But yeah, she’s probably OK.

Lady Sif (Jaimie Alexander)
Director comments: “Gone,” said Joe.

Thoughts: Jaimie Alexander wasn’t in “Thor Ragnarok” because of filming obligations for “Blindspot.” The Russos confirmed she won’t be in “Avengers 4” because of obligations to being a mound of ashes.

Ned (Jacob Batalon)

Thoughts: Ned had better be all right. If Peter Parker doesn’t come back, he’s got a whole “Spider-Man” sequel to carry by himself.

Aunt May (Marisa Tomei)
Director comments: “Safe,” said Anthony.

Thoughts: May probably isn’t going to play a big role, or potentially any role, in “Avengers 4,” but at least we can sleep well knowing she’s not been reduced to powdery residue.

Nakia (Lupita Nyong’o)
Lupita Nyong’o as Nakia in “Black Panther.”
Status: Unknown, but probably safe because #WakandaForever.

Director comments: When asked why she didn’t appear in “Infinity War,” Joe said, “She’s on missions.” Anthony added, “Yeah, deep undercover.”

Thoughts: We don’t know for sure what happened to Nakia, but the directors said she’s out on missions, so we’re going to accept that and hope for the best.

Now, in honor of those we lost to ashes, here’s Will Ferrell singing “Dust in the Wind” in “Old School.” You’re my boy, Korg!
Old 05-12-18, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

That makes me wonder if they’re mulling over Jane Foster becoming Thor eventually as another legacy character. I’m reading that series now and it’s pretty cool.
Spoiler:
the interesting thing with that is that she’s dying of breast cancer and undergoing chemo. She’s not sick when she transforms into Thor, but every time she changes it undermines the chemo treatment. So being Thor is literally both saving her and killing her. They could get a lot of mileage out of a movie plot like that.
Old 05-13-18, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Wonder if Marvel would attempt an all female Avengers movie. Captain Marvel, Jane Foster, Shuri as Panther, Rescue, Black Widow and Scarlet Witch.
Old 05-13-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Yeah, they should have had Spider-Man and Black Panther live if they wanted to maintain the illusion. Knowing they have movies coming out pretty much kills the idea that their deaths are final.
Please. If they didn't kill some high profile characters everyone would be complaining how the main cast was wearing their "plot armor."
Old 05-13-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Please. If they didn't kill some high profile characters everyone would be complaining how the main cast was wearing their "plot armor."
They did kill some high profile characters. It’s those two specific characters who really kill the illusion.
Old 05-13-18, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
They did kill some high profile characters. It’s those two specific characters who really kill the illusion.
My point exactly. I would totally buy all the other deaths as them thinning out the roster.

If high profile is the issue, kill Stark with that blow from Thanos. OR just quit with the Damon Lindeloff/Carlton Cuse posturing and stop telling people everyone is dead for good. Let the movie stand on its own for the audience to speculate. The creators/writers getting putting themselves in the mix and telling people what happened never turns out well.

I didn't bring it up but if we want to discuss plot armor then how is it that IM, Thor, Cap, Black Widow and Hulk all survived(and likely Hawkeye)? The team that started it all. The only people that perished were from "phase 2" and beyond(except for Fury).

Also, I googled the deaths and it looks like Star Lord, Groot, Drax & Mantis all perished as well. Rocket & Nebula survived. Somebody better get Gunn on the horn, asap! That's a small cast to work with for part 3.
Old 05-13-18, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I would have believed Iron Man or Cap, as there has been a long discussion of contract renewals. But as such, I expect one of them to be gone by the end of #4 (Primarily Cap. His sequels feel more like Avenger half-steps than dedicated Captain America movies).

But yeah, Star-lord, Spidey and Black Panther are definitely not going anywhere for a while.
Old 05-13-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Also, I googled the deaths and it looks like Star Lord, Groot, Drax & Mantis all perished as well. Rocket & Nebula survived. Somebody better get Gunn on the horn, asap! That's a small cast to work with for part 3.
So wait, did you watch the movie? Those 4 very obviously were among those that "vanished". Maybe you just forgot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.