Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.56%
41.41%
21.88%
5.47%
4.69%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by 0073735963
The team up fight when they got Thanos subdued and almost got the gauntlet off was awesome. But damn...I know he just found out that his love was killed but I was PISSED OFF at "Mr. Lord" for screwing it all up.
I have to agree ... this is going to jump into something I was going to put in my summary post, but I'll bite here. I really liked Star Lord in the Guardians films, but thought he was a total douche-bag here. I mean, trash panda level douche-bag.
Old 04-27-18, 09:05 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I didn't think that sounded like Weaving, but I didn't know that. This may be a dumb question, but ... why/how did the Tesseract send him there?
He touched it with bare hands and wasn’t powerful enough to do so. He said he’s in purgatory now to guid people looking for the soul stone.
Old 04-27-18, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I have to agree ... this is going to jump into something I was going to put in my summary post, but I'll bite here. I really liked Star Lord in the Guardians films, but thought he was a total douche-bag here. I mean, trash panda level douche-bag.
Really? To me it just showed how much he truly cared about Gamora. Of course it was hot headed, but I’m sure many would react the same way.
Old 04-27-18, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I had a lot of cheering and clapping at the IMAX showing I went to. Lots of cheers for when the females were fighting (“girl power!”) and when Thor showed up in Wakanda.
Dude my audience EXPLODED when he arrived in Wakanda, it was epic.
Old 04-27-18, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw it with a packed theater this afternoon. Despite being packed, the place was almost as quiet as my private showing of A Quiet Place ... until the end, when one guy yelled "What the hell kind of ending was that!?" Then it went dead silent again. I didn't even notice anybody talking as they walked out.

The Good:

Thanos -- my god that was a fantastic performance by the CG artists and Brolin. There was almost more emotion in that one CG character than all of the previous films put together.

Thor and Rocket -- I want this spin-off film NOW! These two were great together!

Balance -- for the number of characters and how much was happening, I thought they did a pretty good job at balancing the characters. It was a little Stark-heavy, but it always is.

Peter Dinklage -- it wasn't a major part or anything we expected, but the way they used him was pulled off fantastically.

The Bad:

Hulk or, specifically, Mark Ruffalo -- I have never been a Mark Ruffalo fan, but I have enjoyed his Hulk/Bruce Banner for the most part. Until now. The choices made for his character -- either in the script or by him -- were awful in this movie. I don't even care that he didn't Hulk out, in fact that was the only interesting part (and yes, there were impotence jokes). The character was just plain atrocious.

Nanotech Iron Suit -- buh, meh, bah. I'm not going to go so far as putting Tony Stark/Robert Downey Jr. on the "bad" list, but he could be here. Instead I am going to harp on the nano-tech Iron Man suit. I didn't like how it basically turned Iron Man into a shapeshifter/Green Lantern/Mr. Fantastic who could conjure whatever he needed instantaneously.

History -- As kenbuzz pointed out, this is not accessible to somebody who has not kept up with the MCU. I guess it really can't be, so I don't know how I would fix this. BTW, I nominate kenbuzz to write the next Avengers flick!

The Ugly:

Don't get me wrong, I loved the abrupt ending and the tone it left us on. However it has a bit of a hollow ring as we all know most of it will be undone in the next film.

Despite being the culmination of the MCU, many of the relationship issues laid out in Civil War just go by the wayside. Granted, there are some pressing issues happening, but the only real addressing of the events in Civil War is Tony not wanting to call Cap.

My prediction for Avengers 4: The New Avengers is that Thanos will actually be the one to turn back time to revive Gamora. Dr. Strange saw this and thus relinquished the Time Stone. The battle will happen all over again, but with changes this time.
Old 04-27-18, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Really? To me it just showed how much he truly cared about Gamora. Of course it was hot headed, but I’m sure many would react the same way.
I agree, they did convey that well. I'm not even talking about his reaction at the end, that I got. It just seemed like they dialed up the macho-pissing-contest a little too much each time he met a new character. The Thor stuff started off funny, but got old quick. Add to that the constant whole "my plan" stuff and I just thought he wore thin, unlike the last two movies.
Old 04-27-18, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well that’s because he’s an Ahole but not 100 percent a dick.
Old 04-27-18, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Is this a joke? Fail.
My descriptions were, admittedly, exaggerated. But in all honesty, I have no clue who any of the referenced characters are and no recollection of any exposition or introduction being offered in the movie. Heck, even a "Hey there, (one-armed machine gun man)!" or something similar would've been helpful. Yeah, I saw 1-AMGM in the post-credits scene from Black Panther, but didn't know then who he was then.... seeing him appear unintroduced a second time didn't help much.

So who are those guys and gals?
Old 04-27-18, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
My descriptions were, admittedly, exaggerated. But in all honesty, I have no clue who any of the referenced characters are and no recollection of any exposition or introduction being offered in the movie. Heck, even a "Hey there, (one-armed machine gun man)!" or something similar would've been helpful. Yeah, I saw 1-AMGM in the post-credits scene from Black Panther, but didn't know then who he was then.... seeing him appear unintroduced a second time didn't help much.

and how many Marvel movies have you actually seen?

If you jumped into Infinity Wars only seeing maybe 1 or 2 of the previous movies, you did yourself no justice. I mean seriously did you see this only because you have Movie Pass and because everyone including the media is talking about it?

I get you're not a Comic super hero fan, but there is 10 years of backstory with all these characters and their relationships. Infinity Wars isn't really a standalone film, especially from a character standpoint.

For example, the "One-Armed Machine Gun Man" aka Bucky Barnes was introduced in 3 Captain America Movies.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-27-18 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-27-18, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know, one of my coworkers that saw the movie today said she didn't have too much trouble following along. Yeah she doesn't know all the characters, but she accepted that going in.

But really, no reason to expect the 19th movie in the series to introduce these characters for newbies.
Old 04-27-18, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

1. Bucky Barnes (Winter Soldier)
2. Scarlet Witch
3. Black Widow
4. War Machine
Old 04-27-18, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
But really, no reason to expect the 19th movie in the series to introduce these characters for newbies.
This time 100. If you’re going into this movie without prior knowledge why bother? People have had ten years to get up to speed.
Old 04-27-18, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Someone please tell a mod that Oldboy hijacked an account.
Old 04-27-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Black Widow has been around since Iron Man 2 and been in every Avengers movie and Captain America movie, plus with a lot of media attention, so it's weird to me that someone wouldn't recognize Scarlett Johansson.

I wonder how many people are actually in the same shoes as kenbuzz and watching this movie seemingly haven't ever seen another movie in the MCU.
Old 04-27-18, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

#1 - One-armed Wolverine-looking dude who had a magic machine gun that never (apparently) ran out of bullets? First showed up during the closing credits of Black Panther. "Hairy Monoarmed Ammoman"?

#2 - Red-headed chick who shoots red fire/lightning/plasma stuff from her hands and who lives in Scotland with some android with a yellow stone stuck in his forehead? "Red Mechamanlovergirl"?

#3 - Blonde chick who hangs out with some guy named "Captain Steve". She wears a lot of leather and showed off her butt to the camera an awful lot. No apparent superpowers I could discern but can jump and kick and punch pretty well. "Whitey Junkatrunk Woman"?

#4 - Black dude, looks like Don Cheadle (hell, maybe it was Don't Cheadle) who has his own Iron Man suit but with US Air Force logos slapped on it? "Iron Liftmaster Patriot 5000"?
It's like a grandmother got roped into taking her grandkids to the movie.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-28-18 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-27-18, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Absolutely LOVED it!!

One opportunity my Mom of all people said she thought they missed in this one was having Hulk bust out of the Hulkbuster armor at some point during the battle. That would have been cool AF! I suppose they can still do that in the next movie.

I also thought Rocket could have said something like "No, Groot... Don't leave me again" when teen Groot faded away. I would have fucking bawled like a baby, lol. That's just a small thing though.

What a thrill ride of a movie! It was unrelenting.
Old 04-28-18, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
What was his motivation in the GN?
It's been years since I've read it, but it was something along the line of wanting to impress Death. Death in the comics is a female character and Thanos has a crush on her.
Old 04-28-18, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Well I didn't love it as much as many of you, but it was pretty cool. Surprised they went "there", but of course nobody thinks the status quo will stick.

Totally random odd question (though not, apparently, the oddest question asked in this thread today) : While waiting for the post-credit I saw a credit about a character from Arrested Development being property of Fox Television. What was that about? I don't recall any Arrested Development joke or sight-gag.
Old 04-28-18, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
It's been years since I've read it, but it was something along the line of wanting to impress Death. Death in the comics is a female character and Thanos has a crush on her.
Watching Thor Ragnarok, I assumed that Hela would play a big part in this movie to tie into that story-line.

In fact, doesn't Thanos mention "her" in his first appearance in a post-credit appearance?
Edit : Kinda
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z4JlBceuLgY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-28-18, 01:04 AM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Totally random odd question (though not, apparently, the oddest question asked in this thread today) : While waiting for the post-credit I saw a credit about a character from Arrested Development being property of Fox Television. What was that about? I don't recall any Arrested Development joke or sight-gag.
A Tobias Funke looking person was in the Collector’s room.
Old 04-28-18, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow
A Tobias Funke looking person was in the Collector’s room.
Must have missed that. Thanks.
Old 04-28-18, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Black Widow has been around since Iron Man 2 and been in every Avengers movie and Captain America movie, plus with a lot of media attention, so it's weird to me that someone wouldn't recognize Scarlett Johansson.

I wonder how many people are actually in the same shoes as kenbuzz and watching this movie seemingly haven't ever seen another movie in the MCU.
I have a friend that text me today asking about the film because she hasn't seen the other ones outside of the first Iron Man and Black Panther. She wasn't aware of most of the characters. I said, sorry, you'll just have to binge watch all of them.
Old 04-28-18, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

I feel like the quick binge to get up to speed would be

Avengers
Civil War
Dr Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy

Watch those four and you should be mostly up to speed on the MCU and whats going on in Infinity War.
Old 04-28-18, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by bahgee
So how exactly did Red Skull end up there?

The tesseract beamed him there -- a purgatory of sorts and he was part of it hence the levitating. In an almost limbo sort of state, I guess.
Old 04-28-18, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I missed the AD joke.

Yes the ending rang hollow because we kneenit would be undone. Still was a fucking magical journey getting there. Epic in every aspect. Fantastic job Marvel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.