Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 08-29-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

A comprehensive guide for any male who wants to avoid being raped.

Spoiler:
Old 08-29-18, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,114 Posts

^Part of the difficulty with reporting male rape?

From 2013

Against his will: Female-on-male rape

The study also found that males and females carried out sexual violence at strikingly similar rates after the age of 18 -- 52% of males and 48% of females. The study classified sexual violence into a few categories: foresexual or presexual contact (kissing, touching, etc. against their will), coercive sex, attempted rape, and completed rape. Women were more likely to instigate unwanted foresexual contact.

For male sexual assault victims of any age, convincing others that they've been preyed upon is difficult as well. Experts say the general disparity in physical strength comes into play -- can't a man fight off a woman?

"It's a tough call; people think men can't be raped and they don't understand that in the confusion no still means no," says Curtis St. John, a representative for MaleSurvivor, a national support group for male sexual victimization.
Further muddying the water is the fact that some men can perform sexually, even including orgasm, and still be raped.
Old 08-29-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PerryD
I think you've given the standard example for sexual harassment, certainly not rape. If someone (guy or girl) says you have to perform an act to keep or get a job, that's clearly not rape (or sexual assault).
Well...it IS if the sex under threat happens though right?
Old 08-29-18, 01:24 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Well...it IS if the sex under threat happens though right?
Being asked to have sex under threat of losing your job isn't rape, it's sexual harassment. If you choose to have sex with someone because you fear you will lose your job, it still isn't rape, it's still sexual harassment.

Rape by threat to me would be knife, gun, or physical violence. Not, some "honey-babe, if you want that promotion, you'll need to help me out too" type of threat.
Old 08-29-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Being asked to have sex under threat of losing your job isn't rape, it's sexual harassment. If you choose to have sex with someone because you fear you will lose your job, it still isn't rape, it's still sexual harassment.
That is not harassment, maybe assault if you want to soften it, but not harassment.
Old 08-29-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Rape by threat to me would be knife, gun, or physical violence. Not, some "honey-babe, if you want that promotion, you'll need to help me out too" type of threat.
But...the sex isn't voluntary. So if it's forced...or not voluntary...it's rape or at least a form of rape.
Old 08-29-18, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Is it rape if a woman says, "If you don't have sex with me, I'll fire you and tell anyone else who considers hiring you that we caught you stealing from us"?
If no sex actually happened, this would be considered "sexual harassment" (in most states).

In my state, a person who forces sex through threats is still a rapist.
FWIW, it fits my definition of "rape."

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Just like many female victims, men can be raped while they are under the influence.
Although very rare for a male, if a guy is incapacitated (drugs, bound, etc.), that would certainly be "rape" in my book.
Not all rapes are a big strong person physically overpowering the other.
True, but a "big strong" male isn't a requirement for raping a female...little bitty guys can do it too.
Male strength (regardless of physical size) is considerably greater than a female's.

Physically holding someone down against their will, drugging them and/or person is otherwise unconscious, or threatening to harm someone physically to get what you want is assault.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by kefrank
Or drug him, or have him consent to some physical restraints and then subject him to things he did not consent to, or use her position of power to psychologically threaten him if he doesn't give in to sexual advances, or...well, you get the idea here. There are many methods a woman can use to rape a man that have absolutely nothing to do with physical strength.
True.

In short, yes. Especially when it comes to statutory cases.

I read it quite closely and it didn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just dense. You refuted the idea that rape isn't always about physical overpowering by saying:

I'm assuming by "it" you meant rape. But maybe you meant something else and that's the disconnect. If so, what did you mean?

After that, you said:

This statement implies to me that power, which by your admission here can be more than just physical power, is the means of control that a rapist employs. So, this suggest to me that you believe rape can occur by means other than physical overpowering. But you just refuted that idea just a few lines before. Help me understand what I'm missing.
OK, lemme try again...
Rape typically involves the physical act of sexual penetration of someone who is unwilling to engage in consensual sex.
The deed itself is a PHYSICAL one.
Resistance from a victim is overcome by the rapist's power.

To avoid this becoming didactic nonsense, this is as far as I am willing to go with this discussion.
I have, and hope you do too, better things to do with my time on this planet.
Old 08-29-18, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I was proven wrong, again, so now I have to go because I have better things to do with my time than be embarrassingly wrong.
Old 08-29-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
True, but a "big strong" male isn't a requirement for raping a female...little bitty guys can do it too.
Male strength (regardless of physical size) is considerably greater than a female's.
Used to be true. These days you've got many women that spend a good portion of their free time getting into peak physical shape. I know at least a dozen women that "little bitty guys" had better not ever challenge at anything.
Old 08-29-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Although very rare for a male, if a guy is incapacitated (drugs, bound, etc.), that would certainly be "rape" in my book.
Why would it be very rare for a male to be put in an incapacitated state? That seems like a strange gender distinction to make, even if you assume that men are generally physically stronger than women, because we've already established that physical strength is not a consideration for many methods of incapacitating someone.

OK, lemme try again...
Rape typically involves the physical act of sexual penetration of someone who is unwilling to engage in consensual sex.
The deed itself is a PHYSICAL one.
Resistance from a victim is overcome by the rapist's power.
I generally agree with all of that, as long as it's clear that "unwilling to engage" does not mean "has been overpowered by a physically stronger person". And as long we agree that "consensual sex" is only possible between two people above the legal age of consent. So, at least with those qualifiers, I can't really jive your above statements with the idea that a male can't be raped by a female.
Old 08-30-18, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I was proven wrong, again, so now I have to go because I have better things to do with my time than be embarrassingly wrong.
It's OK...we still love ya.

Originally Posted by kefrank
Why would it be very rare for a male to be put in an incapacitated state?
Huh?
There is an epidemic of females raping males in this country?

That seems like a strange gender distinction to make, even if you assume that men are generally physically stronger than women, because we've already established that physical strength is not a consideration for many methods of incapacitating someone.

I generally agree with all of that, as long as it's clear that "unwilling to engage" does not mean "has been overpowered by a physically stronger person". And as long we agree that "consensual sex" is only possible between two people above the legal age of consent. So, at least with those qualifiers, I can't really jive your above statements with the idea that a male can't be raped by a female.
Kev...you're starting to troll.
Old 08-30-18, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Is getting a boner a "yes"?
I sure as shit wouldn't be able to get an erection if I was being forced and was unwilling.
Old 08-30-18, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

19 Men Share Stories of Being Raped by a Woman (NSFW)
Old 08-30-18, 09:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This thread has devolved into a darker(MUCH darker) version of the "Women can't carry proton packs" argument.
Old 08-30-18, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Huh?
Maybe I misread your phrasing...I read it as the possibility for a man to be incapacitated by a woman is very rare.

Kev...you're starting to troll.
Not at all. I'm genuinely trying to understand your position, because I can't make sense of it. I have no problem granting you that it's more common for women to be raped than men. Maybe that's all you've been trying to get it and you're just not expressing it very clearly. But I can't get on board with the idea that a male possibly being raped by a female is some absurd notion. Sexuality is a complex thing that has physical, psychological, and many other layers to it. The concept of rape is not unique to one gender. I wouldn't begrudge you if you feel like you've said all you care to say on the subject at this point, but I have to confess I'm still unclear on what you've really been trying to say.
Old 08-30-18, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IHuh?
Rape is up there with murder as being in the one case is too many category. We're not talking petty theft or speeding tickets here.

Originally Posted by Groucho
This thread has devolved into a darker(MUCH darker) version of the "Women can't carry proton packs" argument.
Glad you noticed.
Old 08-30-18, 10:24 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I’m waiting for one of you to say it wasn’t “rape” rape.
Old 08-30-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,870 Posts

Does anyone remember the episode of "Picket Fences," about the guy who got raped by a woman?

It was really... interesting... and quite thought provoking.
Old 08-30-18, 11:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

^ or Disclosure. I think that flick would be interesting to watch all these years later.
Old 08-30-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Gunde
I sure as shit wouldn't be able to get an erection if I was being forced and was unwilling.
You don't know that... read up on Males being raped. Women can sometimes have orgasms while being raped. Bet they never thought that could happen...
Old 08-30-18, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
Good point.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Rape is up there with murder as being in the one case is too many category. We're not talking petty theft or speeding tickets here.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I’m waiting for one of you to say it wasn’t “rape” rape.
LOL, the way this thread is going it's bound to happen...

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Does anyone remember the episode of "Picket Fences," about the guy who got raped by a woman?
Originally Posted by Dan
^ or Disclosure. I think that flick would be interesting to watch all these years later.
Yeah, it has been played out in TV & movies many times, it seems it has left quite an impression on some folks.
Old 08-31-18, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
You don't know that... read up on Males being raped. Women can sometimes have orgasms while being raped. Bet they never thought that could happen...
I get that. There is still physical stimulation of the clitoris, so it makes sense...

Maybe I'm special, I don't know, but I feel an erection is probably at least as much psychological as physical. I know myself well enough. It ain't gonna work unless I'm into it.
Old 08-31-18, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 600 Likes on 442 Posts

Gerard Depardieu Accused of Sexual Assault (Report)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ssault-1138559
Old 08-31-18, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cuomo in more ethics trouble

Six days after getting a $25,000 campaign donation from the law firm of Harvey Weinstein’s attorney, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo called on the state’s attorney general to suspend an investigation into Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr.'s handling of 2015 sexual misconduct claims against the disgraced film mogul.
The law firm of Boies Schiller & Flexner donated the $25,000 back in June, shortly before Cuomo sent a letter to New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood directing her to suspend the Vance investigation.
Weinstein lawyers donate to Cuomo, inquiry is suspended

Naturally they have denied any connection calling it a coincidence. Poor optics in any case and the money should be returned.
Old 09-01-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Man, those stories are really fucked up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.