Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 06-28-18, 03:01 PM
  #2501  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,417
Received 1,883 Likes on 1,160 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Noonan
I have no issue giving the benefit to the accuser if their story has enough detail to be believable.

My issue with this particular story relates back to the Duke Lacrosse case. Those kids were ruined based on one story before any investigation was done. In this case, Chris wasn't even named and he's already taken the fall. Due process should still be a thing. Even if she were to come out and say she lied about everything, it would still be super awkward for him to go back on air as if nothing happened. The damage is done.
I don't disagree. And I'm going with he is being quiet and is lawyered up putting his case together to expose her. But I also understand that his companies are looking out for themselves; and frankly, there must be more to letting him go if he was so beloved and such a big money maker for them. Like some have said the accusations have been "vague"...yet the companies cut ties anyway...
Old 06-28-18, 03:03 PM
  #2502  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,530
Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Well I guess if she suddenly gets a new TV show or cast in a huge Hollywood film...we'll know she lied.

#blamehimforrapeandabuse
#moveupinhollywoodviaMeToo
I’m certainly not saying that happened, just a more likely scenario than a wide conspiracy to keep Dykstra down. And who knows, if something along those lines IS the truth, I have no doubt sexism is still alive and well in Hollywood despite the #metoo movement. She may very well have blacklisted herself when she came out with that story.

That’s also a reason I tend to at least give the benefit of the doubt to accusers when it’s not completely obvious what they have to gain.
Old 06-28-18, 03:07 PM
  #2503  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,707
Received 1,004 Likes on 723 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
when itís not completely obvious what they have to gain.
Sympathy and attention
Old 06-28-18, 03:15 PM
  #2504  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,530
Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Noonan
Sympathy and attention
Maybe. Thatís a pretty hardcore way to get it but, maybe.
Old 06-28-18, 03:18 PM
  #2505  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,707
Received 1,004 Likes on 723 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Maybe. That’s a pretty hardcore way to get it but, maybe.
As I've said before, I will eat my words if more detail comes out.

That being said, I've known people like this before. They make things up or greatly embellish things which have happened for the sake of being the victim and getting sympathy from people. They crave positive attention and find that being a victim of something is an easy way to get it. Slippery slope. For example; standard fare relationship fights over a few years = years of mental abuse. No...you were just in a shitty relationship with the wrong person.
Old 06-28-18, 04:09 PM
  #2506  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,417
Received 1,883 Likes on 1,160 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’m certainly not saying that happened, just a more likely scenario than a wide conspiracy to keep Dykstra down. And who knows, if something along those lines IS the truth, I have no doubt sexism is still alive and well in Hollywood despite the #metoo movement. She may very well have blacklisted herself when she came out with that story.

That’s also a reason I tend to at least give the benefit of the doubt to accusers when it’s not completely obvious what they have to gain.
Originally Posted by Noonan
As I've said before, I will eat my words if more detail comes out.

That being said, I've known people like this before. They make things up or greatly embellish things which have happened for the sake of being the victim and getting sympathy from people. They crave positive attention and find that being a victim of something is an easy way to get it. Slippery slope. For example; standard fare relationship fights over a few years = years of mental abuse. No...you were just in a shitty relationship with the wrong person.
Fair enough. At this point no one knows but Dykstra and Chris. I still defend the company for cutting ties because I think there was more to cutting ties than the accusations. They may have some reasons we don't know about.

But I also don't think Chris has been "shut down" or ignored as if no one wants to hear his side.
Old 06-28-18, 04:16 PM
  #2507  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,142
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

That would indicate that all companies were about to let him go anyway. Theres not been any news of issues otherwise.
This is all because he was 'accused' and it's kinda bullshit. People's lives are being ruined because of hearsay.
I'm not really a fan of his. Fact I think he's kinda looks like he can be a dick. I've always thought this about him. But you cant go terminating people without proof. Imagine you're at work and someone says you spit in their coffee and you get fired and they have no proof other than their word.
Old 06-28-18, 05:23 PM
  #2508  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,417
Received 1,883 Likes on 1,160 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by VHS?
That would indicate that all companies were about to let him go anyway. Theres not been any news of issues otherwise.
This is all because he was 'accused' and it's kinda bullshit. People's lives are being ruined because of hearsay.
I'm not really a fan of his. Fact I think he's kinda looks like he can be a dick. I've always thought this about him. But you cant go terminating people without proof. Imagine you're at work and someone says you spit in their coffee and you get fired and they have no proof other than their word.
I get that.

But isn't Hollywood all 1099's? They can hire and fire as they please. People get fired for fucked up shit ALL THE TIME...but that's where the courts come in. If Chris has proof she is lying, he will get paid. If not, or if he did it then he's fucked. But you know, some also have clauses in their contracts about causing controversy, scandals, making the company name look bad, etc. So I hate to sound like a corporate shill, but again, they may have legit reason for cutting ties.
Old 06-28-18, 06:15 PM
  #2509  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,142
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

I do agree on the clauses in their contracts thing. It probably sucks to be an attorney in Hollywood. I'd hate to have to read all the pages of fine print.
Old 06-28-18, 10:05 PM
  #2510  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,681
Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion


Old 06-28-18, 10:26 PM
  #2511  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,530
Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I get that.

But isn't Hollywood all 1099's? They can hire and fire as they please. People get fired for fucked up shit ALL THE TIME...but that's where the courts come in. If Chris has proof she is lying, he will get paid. If not, or if he did it then he's fucked. But you know, some also have clauses in their contracts about causing controversy, scandals, making the company name look bad, etc. So I hate to sound like a corporate shill, but again, they may have legit reason for cutting ties.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I’m sure those are standard clauses in their contracts. Many of these personalities are hired specifically for their likability so when that image gets tarnished, it hurts the company as well. Chris Hardwick has always portrayed that nerdy/cool guy that a lot of other nerds can relate to and want as a friend. When that image is damaged it hurts the company quite a bit. I have no doubt they could terminate his contract(s) on that reason alone.

At this point, whether he did or didn’t do it almost doesn’t matter to a large corporation paying him to portray a certain image.

It’s just business.
Old 06-28-18, 10:59 PM
  #2512  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,142
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

The problem is though, that allegations like this don't just put a person out of work. It damages their lives.
Like someone accused of rape. Even when proven innocent after a trail, the stigma is still there and people still look at the person a certain way. It sticks with them. Poele will still always have a small piece of doubt and wonder and maybe a feeling about that person even when proven innocent.
Old 06-28-18, 11:30 PM
  #2513  
DVD Talk Legend
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 10,010
Received 983 Likes on 687 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Cusm
Did you know who Dykstra was 2 weeks ago? This could have happened or she could be a not be getting work think Chris is blacklisting her or she could be blaming her lack of work on Chris and get her name out there to the world.
I did but only from the cosplay show so I get your point.

Originally Posted by slop101
No, what it shows is what I tried to explain earlier - different people bring out different behaviors out of different people. You can be the sweetest person to one person, and an absolute monster to another. And yes, this is your fault, not the other person for bringing out this "beast" in you.
Yeah but the point is none of us know. That's what makes this case so difficult. You want to believe Dykstra but there are a lot of supporters of Hardwick that have no real reason to stick their necks out and risk their reputation by defending him.

Originally Posted by VHS?
She was on that cosplay show on Sci-Fi and also used to game in the nude, while streaming it....
Say wha....??
Old 06-28-18, 11:56 PM
  #2514  
DVD Talk Legend
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 10,010
Received 983 Likes on 687 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by VHS?
The problem is though, that allegations like this don't just put a person out of work. It damages their lives.
Like someone accused of rape. Even when proven innocent after a trail, the stigma is still there and people still look at the person a certain way. It sticks with them. Poele will still always have a small piece of doubt and wonder and maybe a feeling about that person even when proven innocent.
That's the problem with the court of public opinion. I think a lot of people in this thread have confused due process as something that occurs outside of the courtroom. That's why I think some are against the whole #metoo movement. It's not necessarily about being against victims its about the pendulum swinging too far the other way where the movement has swayed public opinion too far that the rights of the accused are now infringed upon. That's why each case has to be taken so seriously so the truth can come out and why there shouldn't be such swift judgement by people or companies on a mere accusation. Do that too much and the pendulum will swing back the other way where victims aren't believed anymore because of previous accusations that have flippantly been made. So far it seems like people have taken this seriously which I think is great.

Personally I am for the #metoo movement and for the exposure of the seedy underbelly of Hollywood. I have long believed that Hollywood is full of a bunch of hypocrites that think they are more progressive than the rest of the country but let a person like Weinstein prey on innocent people with impunity. And KNOW about it and CONTINUE to work with him.
Old 06-29-18, 08:30 AM
  #2515  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 6,019
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Bullshit. Where do you see anyone keeping Hardwick quiet? Hell, we'd all love to hear his side AND see her proof. What you DO see are some people actively defending Chris H, and others who are saying she "could be" telling the truth. And NONE of the latter have told Chris to shut up or that they don't want to hear his side. That is not the same as "men can't say anything".
Fair enough. I should have truncated the quote to only include the second part about women and men. I think we all know who our resident "men can't say anything" poster is.
Old 06-29-18, 12:21 PM
  #2516  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,551
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

I still think there is some truth to what she has said. Fame changes people and it seems like most of the women that have come forward to support him dated him before he got very popular. If the relationship with Dykstra was happening when he was experiencing all of these changes, he could have been very strict, controlling, and acting like he was better than her (inside and outside the bedroom). That shit goes to your head very easily.

We had a friend that completely changed once the bad he was in started getting very big and started opening up and touring with other bands. The few times I interacted with him during that time was completely different than the person I knew before then.

That being said I'm still very curious to see what "evidence" she has on him. That could easily be the big answer to all of this. And having him go completely silent on everything (no social media, no new podcasts, etc.) doesn't look good either. Even if the lawyers told him not to say anything about the subject, I don't see why he couldn't go on living his life and not talking about it on those platforms.
Old 06-29-18, 01:33 PM
  #2517  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,681
Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

I'm still not clear whether she's saying she has evidence of his alleged sexual abuse, or his supposed trying to get her blackballed from the industry, or both.
Old 06-29-18, 08:45 PM
  #2518  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,530
Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by windom
I'm still not clear whether she's saying she has evidence of his alleged sexual abuse, or his supposed trying to get her blackballed from the industry, or both.
It’s hard to say but I would think that any evidence is probably something along the lines of emails from Hardwick to industry higher ups suggesting Dykstra was trouble and a risk to hire. What else could she have? I’ve got my doubts that some sort of rape video exists.
Old 06-29-18, 08:48 PM
  #2519  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,293
Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

I read some of the comments in that tweet that Alexander posted about Hardwick. Let's just say she's getting mostly negative responses from women.

But, she is sticking up for her friend.
Old 07-02-18, 10:27 AM
  #2520  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,343
Likes: 0
Received 4,691 Likes on 3,179 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Harvey Weinstein on Monday was charged with more sex crimes In New York, according to the Manhattan District Attorney's office.

The new charges against Weinstein include an additional count of criminal sexual act in the first degree for a forcible sexual act against a third woman in 2006, as well as two counts of predatory sexual assault, a Class A-II felony.

"A Manhattan Grand Jury has now indicted Harvey Weinstein on some of the most serious sexual offenses that exist under New York’s Penal Law,” district attorney Cyrus Vance said in a statement. “This indictment is the result of the extraordinary courage exhibited by the survivors who have come forward. Our investigation continues."

The disgraced Hollywood mogul was previously charged with rape in the first and third degrees, as well as criminal sexual act in the first degree, for forcible sexual acts against two women in 2013 and 2004, respectively.

In early June, Weinstein pleaded not guilty to the original charges.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...w-york-1124417
Old 07-02-18, 11:05 AM
  #2521  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 19,707
Received 1,004 Likes on 723 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

I hope Harvey gets raped in prison every day until he dies.
Old 07-02-18, 12:24 PM
  #2522  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,530
Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

And according to Harvey, he still thinks Hollywood is going to forgive him.

The dude is fucked...literally when he goes to prison.
Old 07-02-18, 12:53 PM
  #2523  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,551
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

I'm still not clear whether she's saying she has evidence of his alleged sexual abuse, or his supposed trying to get her blackballed from the industry, or both.
I really don't think she even has any evidence. The evidence was mainly linked to statements that her current boyfriend says happened, and shes even said she wishes everyone could just move on.

That being said I'm still very curious to see what "evidence" she has on him. That could easily be the big answer to all of this. And having him go completely silent on everything (no social media, no new podcasts, etc.) doesn't look good either. Even if the lawyers told him not to say anything about the subject, I don't see why he couldn't go on living his life and not talking about it on those platforms.

Because it would be following him regardless? Seriously, when has anyone ever accused of something like this ever gone about their normal life? The accusations are always following them around and tend to keep following them around. You really have no choice but to stay silent.


I'm still not clear whether she's saying she has evidence of his alleged sexual abuse, or his supposed trying to get her blackballed from the industry, or both.

Supposedly she says that Hardwick blackballed her from the industry but here is the problem. Her most notable roles in Hollywood are Spiderman 2(Train Passenger) and Drag Me To Hell(couple at diner). Everything else she has done has been YouTube type stuff and cosplay modeling. So she really has not been lighting the world on fire.
Old 07-03-18, 02:58 PM
  #2524  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,343
Likes: 0
Received 4,691 Likes on 3,179 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Brown is replacing Hardwick for TWD panel at SDCC:
https://deadline.com/2018/07/yvette-...el-1202421202/
Old 07-03-18, 04:19 PM
  #2525  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,956
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by dex14
Brown is replacing Hardwick for TWD panel at SDCC:
https://deadline.com/2018/07/yvette-...el-1202421202/
Good call to whoever was first to suggest her as a replacement. It's almost like TWD fandom was prepped for her the last few years.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.