Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.34%
25.86%
27.59%
12.07%
15.52%
1.72%
3.45%
0%
0%
0%
1.72%
What are you high?
1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-17, 01:56 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Re: Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Decker
Somebody help me : I'm going to see Dunkirk this afternoon. I have to choose between 70 mm or Imax (but not 70 mm Imax) showings
Spoiler:

Which should I pick?
70mm. That's what I'm going to do... tonight, hopefully.
Old 07-26-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Okay, that's what I'll do then. It's half the price of the Imax showing, which helps.
Old 07-26-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
My wife went to the bathroom during this part so I couldn't confirm with her - was that Cillian Murphy in the boat that wouldn't pick up the two soldiers from the water? I thought it was but I could not work out the timeline of how he ended up the only survivor of a sunken ship way out away from shore.

Only lingering question I had after the movie.
Spoiler:
Since the land section took place over a week, his character would have been on the destroyer out the next day and presumably sunk right after. He could have been on the wreckage for a few days before being found by the small boat (whose story takes place over the final day only).
Old 07-26-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
From my review page, Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

Dunkirk (PG-13) - Confusing editing, lack of any character development, and a nearly incomprehensible timeline structure hobble an otherwise good war movie.

Christopher Nolan, acclaimed director of the Dark Knight trilogy, Interstellar, Memento and The Prestige, performs a rather unique trick with his latest outing, Dunkirk. He has managed to take an important event in World War II, and turn it into an Inception-like puzzle that is likely to confuse many in the audience, even as it attempts to inform them of what happened in the English Channel and on the beaches of France in 1940.

The story of the evacuation of nearly 400,000 allied forces from Dunkirk is told from three different perspectives and, confusingly, three completely different timelines that eventually intersect - multiple times. There is the predicament of the troops like British soldier Tommy (Fionn Whitehead) on the beach, waiting for any sort of vessel to get them out of France, told over a 24-hour period, give or take. Then we have the English boat owner (Mark Rylance) who is contracted to head to Dunkirk to assist with the evacuation, told over a parallel (but not quite) 24-hour time frame. Finally, we spend time with a Spitfire pilot (Tom Hardy), fighting off German planes over the period on an hour, though his story stretched over the length of the movie.

Familiar faces pop up in the different timelines, as well, including Kenneth Branagh as a British naval commander, James D’arcy as an Army colonel, and Cillian Murphy as a soldier rescued after a ship is sunk. But we know nothing and learn nothing about any of the characters outside of their immediate service to the plot, so there is little emotional investment. However, there is tension aplenty in each of the stories/timelines and the pilot’s story is especially compelling. But….

The way Dunkirk jumps from one story to another, to different points in the timeline, eventually intersecting, splitting off, then intersecting again, is almost headache-inducing. There are a couple of incidents we see from three different perspectives, but at different times in the film. The structure becomes extremely non-linear, and because of this, Dunkirk feels disjointed at times.

That’s not to say that Dunkirk isn't a good movie. When we are keeping up with what’s happening, it is a perfectly serviceable WW II movie. It’s actually pretty straightforward, but kind of tame compared to other war movies like “Saving Private Ryan” or “Hacksaw Ridge”.

Maybe it's because I expect more from a Christopher Nolan film, but overall I don’t think this stands with his best work. I am only giving “Dunkirk” 3 out of 5 lightsabers.

NOTES FOR PARENTS: Dunkirk is rated PG-13 for war action and related violence, plus brief language. We see soldiers killed by bombs, bullets, drowning and fire, though it’s a lot less graphic than other war movies. The f-bomb is used twice, but there is little profanity otherwise.

SHARE this review with friends and family, and LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies!

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.

Spot on review. Visually amazing, but I felt very little.

When Cillian Murphy appeared in the two separate timelines I threw in the towel trying to grasp it. I like a drowning woman giving into the confusion. I think I may have thought, "Ok, he has a twin.", just so I could let it go and continue without trying to figure it out. I only got it post-movie, but it's not like I care enough to see it again.
Old 07-26-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Nolan is so brilliant that even gets to change the English language. What a genius, if only Kubrick, Scorsese and Spielberg had thought of bad grammar first.
Apparently the way "2001" was said in relation to the movie affected the way the year ended up being said, so Kubrick has him beat in that department too.
Old 07-26-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Spoiler:
Since the land section took place over a week, his character would have been on the destroyer out the next day and presumably sunk right after. He could have been on the wreckage for a few days before being found by the small boat (whose story takes place over the final day only).
Spoiler:

Right, I get how the timelines worked. But I didn't think enough time passed in the "soldiers on the beach" story to get him out there.
Old 07-26-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Looks like stvn1974's deleted his post.
Old 07-26-17, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Looks like stvn1974's deleted his post.
Yeah, I got it from another site and wasn't sure if that person would appreciate me posting it here.
Old 07-26-17, 08:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Dunkirk...No character development. Just scenes strung together. You didn't care about anyone except Hardy the fighter pilot. His expressions and you saw it in his eyes. There was just no story, no nothing. I cared nothing for boy who died. Much better WWII movies out there. This is 1 and done. Hacksaw Ridge was last great WWII. This was not it. Nice to look at and Zimmer's score was pretty good. Too bad.

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-27-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-26-17, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Dunkirk...No character development. Just scenes strung together. You didn't care about anyone except Hardy the fighter pilot. His expressions and you saw it in his eyes. There was just no story, no nothing. I cared nothing for boy who died. Much better WWII movies out there. This is 1 and done. Hacksaw Ridge was last great WWII. This was not it. Nice to look at and Zimmer's score was pretty good. Too bad.
If Rorschach from Watchmen reviewed movies, he would sound like this.
Old 07-26-17, 08:20 PM

I don't get it...
Old 07-26-17, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Yeah, I got it from another site and wasn't sure if that person would appreciate me posting it here.
Okay, whatever...
Old 07-26-17, 11:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I hated Interstellar, TDKR, and Inception, and I was expecting a four hour talkathon with some action here and there, but this feels like a breakthrough film for Nolan. He scrapped all the heavy dialogue, all the characters ruminating on the film's themes, even conventional plot structure, and it all worked beautifully. It felt like a tone poem to me, especially with Zimmer's music winding its way through, and I had no problems figuring out the different timelines and who was who. My wife had no issue with those things either. I sincerely hope that Nolan continues moving in this direction for future films and doesn't fall back into his old ways.
Old 07-27-17, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Good. Solid Film. B+
Love the aerial scenes with the fighter pilots.
Old 07-27-17, 10:49 AM

anyone know what nationality Kenneth Branagh was playing in this? he didn't sound like he had any accent (British, French, Irish or other). sounded regular American to me, but they weren't even in war when Dunkirk happened. thanks.
Old 07-27-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

anyone know what nationality Kenneth Branagh was playing in this? he didn't sound like he had any accent (British, French, Irish or other). sounded regular American to me, but they weren't even in war when Dunkirk happened. thanks.
He is very obviously British in the film.
Old 07-27-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Much better WWII movies out there. This is 1 and done. Hacksaw Ridge was last great WWII. This was not it.
If you believe that about Hacksaw Ridge then Dunkirk must be a masterpiece. While watching HR, I almost gave up twice on it. It was so bad that when it was over I hated myself.
Old 07-27-17, 12:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't hate Hacksaw Ridge, but it plays like a TV movie with added gore. Mostly obvious and boring until it gets to the war scenes. Probably Gibson's most overrated movie.
Old 07-27-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by faust69
I didn't hate Hacksaw Ridge, but it plays like a TV movie with added gore. Mostly obvious and boring until it gets to the war scenes. Probably Gibson's most overrated movie.
I even found the war scenes to be so ridiculous that it reminded me of the propaganda film in Inglourious Basterds.
Old 07-27-17, 03:51 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Going to take be drive to see this again in 70mm IMAX tomorrow.
Old 07-27-17, 05:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I even found the war scenes to be so ridiculous that it reminded me of the propaganda film in Inglourious Basterds.
IB is the best WWII film. Then the Guns of Navarone.
Old 07-27-17, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Supermallet
IB is the best WWII film. Then the Guns of Navarone.
I prefer these over those :

The Thin Red Line
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Das Boot
Come and See
Army of Shadows
Old 07-27-17, 07:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
IB is the best WWII film.
Supermallet.
Old 07-27-17, 09:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I'm waiting for a "70mm" showing at Regal but the screen is a pretty normal size (masked to 2.35:1)
Hmm.
Old 07-27-17, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by inri222
If you believe that about Hacksaw Ridge then Dunkirk must be a masterpiece. While watching HR, I almost gave up twice on it. It was so bad that when it was over I hated myself.
i have to disagree. i thought HR was glossy, yes, but very well done and very good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.