Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.34%
25.86%
27.59%
12.07%
15.52%
1.72%
3.45%
0%
0%
0%
1.72%
What are you high?
1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Loved, loved, loved the sound of the Stukas. Dug the flick. I laughed at myself a bit when Hardy popped the bomber at the end. The non-linear editing, etc left you with no doubt it was going to happen, but when he came from off screen, the music swelling, I did a little clench the fist pump. LOL.

The numerous swellings of sound throughout the film kept reminding me of the swelling in A Day In The Life. Like the nightmare war is.
Old 08-04-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the movie, but was thrown off a bit by the timeline changes. Something about it took me out of the movie a bit but I think on a 2nd viewing those issues will diminish for me. The visuals, audio, and tension of the film were top notch.

One thing I didn't get was why Hardy's character didn't drop his plane down in the water near the Allies vs landing in a spot where he knew he would be captured. He didn't think he could land somewhere without risk to hurting some troops on the ground?
Old 08-06-17, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Finally saw this in a lie-max theater.

Excellent

Tense

Holy fucking loud, Batman.
Old 08-06-17, 07:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Ketamine
I liked the movie, but was thrown off a bit by the timeline changes. Something about it took me out of the movie a bit but I think on a 2nd viewing those issues will diminish for me. The visuals, audio, and tension of the film were top notch.

One thing I didn't get was why Hardy's character didn't drop his plane down in the water near the Allies vs landing in a spot where he knew he would be captured. He didn't think he could land somewhere without risk to hurting some troops on the ground?
I think after his last heroic engagement of the enemy, there was no choice. As I said, he is only character you invest in. It was just scenes strung together. Maybe a 2nd visit will differ that, but not sure...
Old 08-08-17, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I think after his last heroic engagement of the enemy, there was no choice. As I said, he is only character you invest in. It was just scenes strung together. Maybe a 2nd visit will differ that, but not sure...
Why was there no choice?
Old 08-23-17, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I caught an IMAX matinee of Dunkirk today before it left theaters. I heard this was the way it needed to be seen.

Anyways, I came away a little disappointed. I will say it was filmed well, great audio and it looked good on an IMAX screen.

I just felt like the story and characters didn't really resonate with me. I also felt like it lacked edge for a war movie. War movies IMO need to be violent, bloody, filled with suffering. I felt like this didn't have the edge of other war movies that I've seen. Sure there was some dog fight scenes, shootings, people drowning and explosions. But, I felt like this was really neutered for a PG-13 audience. Also, I couldn't tell who was who in this movie. None of the characters stood out. I don't recall any of the characters names if they were mentioned at all. I don't even know the name of the soldier from the opening sequence. There was just so many and they kept hopping around. I know the characters aspect has been mentioned already and this wasn't really a movie about the characters, but more about the atmosphere of war. But still, I felt without that aspect to follow someone through their eyes, the attempt at drama felt like an empty experience.

I gave it 3 1/2 stars and maybe a B- mainly for the film making aspect. Not sure I would be interested in seeing this again.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-23-17 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-02-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
It left some unanswered questions... I didn't mind the editing as soon as I was able to connect the timeline to the title cards. But there's no pay off to a lot of plot lines/characters.

Cillian Murphy has no reaction to finding out he killed George other than to disappear in the crowd?
Why did Hardy decide to land the Spitfire instead of bailing over the ocean closer to the rescue boats?
Was the kid part of the English that had no chance of boarding a rescue ship or was he a German spy?
He never finds out. The son finds out and then Murphy asks him is the boy ok and the son responds yes since he knew the soldier killed him out of PTSD and not malice. The son and father exchange glances and the father nods his approval of what he did.
Old 09-02-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Our present-day world populated by selfish narcissists (I'll leave my anti-social rant for some other time). Dunkirk is a movie about leaders doing what's right.

That's my takeaway. Loved it.
Old 09-05-17, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
He never finds out. The son finds out and then Murphy asks him is the boy ok and the son responds yes since he knew the soldier killed him out of PTSD and not malice. The son and father exchange glances and the father nods his approval of what he did.
You missed the bit at the end where Murphy has gotten off the boat, and turned to watch them carrying George's body off covered head-to-toe, so he KNOWS he killed the boy. And then when Alex turns to look at Murphy to see his reaction, Murphy ducks out and heads off, clearly unwilling to take responsibility for it.

My reaction to the film is the same as Djariya's three posts above. Great production, weak storytelling, poorly etched characters.
Old 09-06-17, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
You missed the bit at the end where Murphy has gotten off the boat, and turned to watch them carrying George's body off covered head-to-toe, so he KNOWS he killed the boy. And then when Alex turns to look at Murphy to see his reaction, Murphy ducks out and heads off, clearly unwilling to take responsibility for it.

My reaction to the film is the same as Djariya's three posts above. Great production, weak storytelling, poorly etched characters.
Yes, I did, I was too in the moment of seeing him being carried off.
Old 12-16-17, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Watched this tonight and really liked it. The non-linear editing does throw you off a bit -- I kept waiting for a mole to be discovered since it was hinted throughout. I thought it would bother me to see a "bloodless" war movie, but it was fine. Most people getting killed in this were bombed or crushed out of frame, with only a few being shot up. I used my $5 VUDU credit and got the Digital HD version. A note: The Digital HD does NOT have the switching aspect ratios, so I will wait until the BD comes way down in price before I get the hardcopy.
Old 12-22-17, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Great film but I had trouble keeping track of the who was who regarding the kid we meet at the beginning. On the train at the end, I didn't know if he was the one celebrating or the one reading. Also, what happened to the french kid he met on the beach? Did he get out of the boat they were all on? Did we see Cilian's character before he was rescued by the boat owners?

Last edited by Noonan; 12-22-17 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-22-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Enjoyed it, but agree with others that I didn't know who was who. This must be a weak year for films because this is a good movie, especially technically, but not a Best Picture quality effort.
Old 12-30-17, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I have no idea why Nolan chose to tell the story in three different timelines. Other than some overlap in stories, there's really no payoff to it. It just confuses things.
Old 12-31-17, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I have no idea why Nolan chose to tell the story in three different timelines. Other than some overlap in stories, there's really no payoff to it. It just confuses things.
You answered your own question. This is Christopher Nolan we're talking about.
Old 12-31-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I just felt like the story and characters didn't really resonate with me. I also felt like it lacked edge for a war movie. War movies IMO need to be violent, bloody, filled with suffering.
Pretty much this. When I saw soldiers in a few neat lines on a white sand beach like they were waiting to get on a cruise, I went "wtf is this???". There were 400,000 soldiers stretched out for miles, thousands of pieces of military equipment, they got bombed daily, there was blood, injured, debris, smoke, i.e. chaos everywhere. This is what Dunkirk was like:

Not this:

Old 12-31-17, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,070 Posts

^ i have no doubt it was chaotic but:

Nolan wasn’t just making it up...
Old 12-31-17, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A couple of pictures taken when? It's possible that at evacuation time, a small stretch of beach looked like that but again, there was over 60,000 pieces of military equipment, cars, and all sorts of junk/debris strewn all over the place. How did that all magically disappear?

Also, the town of Dunkirk was bombed to hell. That also was not depicted in Nolan's film which just looks too "clean" to me.

Edited: After further review, it looks like I'm being a tad too harsh. Some historians seem to think it's fairly accurate aside from a couple of points:

https://inews.co.uk/culture/film/dun...james-holland/

This one states more inaccuracies/omissions:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/f...ions-1.3175704

But says this might be explained by the narrow focus chosen by Nolan. Someone else also mentions budgetary and/or time restrictions.

However, Nolan's depiction is indeed, much too "clean":

http://whatculture.com/film/10-huge-...dunkirk?page=7

"Dunkirk is altogether a more sober, less chaotic event when seen through Nolan's lens. The beach and sea appear less crowded, the air less rent by constant bombing, strafing and artillery fire, the town of Dunkirk itself significantly less battered, than in reality.

It's a choice by director Nolan to make the movie more restrained than Hollywood's typical thud-and-blunder WWII epic, but it's also one that takes it a lot further from reality."

Last edited by eXcentris; 12-31-17 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-31-17, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some people hate that Nolan is incapable of making bad films. His "worst" film is still great.

Give it a rest, haters.
Old 12-31-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't hate Nolan. I actually think he's a really good writer/director.

I just don't think (as I said above months ago) that Dunkirk is not a great war movie. Lacks the edge that a war movie should have IMO.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-03-18 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-31-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh... I've pretty much liked every Nolan film so I'm certainly not a hater. But when the soldiers first appeared in lines on that white beach, I went "wtf is that???" and I coudn't shake it afterwards. Heck, it probably made me look for more inconsistencies like "that town should look bombed to hell". There's no denying the film is technically brilliant though.And it's likely I'd appreciate it more if I watched it again because I woudn't be jarred/taken out of the film by stuff I've already seen.
Old 12-31-17, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Huh... I've pretty much liked every Nolan film so I'm certainly not a hater. But when the soldiers first appeared in lines on that white beach, I went "wtf is that???" and I coudn't shake it afterwards. Heck, it probably made me look for more inconsistencies like "that town should look bombed to hell". There's no denying the film is technically brilliant though.And it's likely I'd appreciate it more if I watched it again because I woudn't be jarred/taken out of the film by stuff I've already seen.

I didn't specify you were. I made a general comment about the haters.
Old 12-31-17, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

The only thing worse than a Nolan film is a Nolan fan.

OK, Nolan fans aren't quite as stupid as The Dark Knight Rises.
Old 12-31-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by stvn1974
The only thing worse than a Nolan film is a Nolan fan.

OK, Nolan fans aren't quite as stupid as The Dark Knight Rises.

You really just can't let this go can you?

This is beyond fucking ridiculous. Why are you in this thread?
Old 12-31-17, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

-notrolls-

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.