Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
8.93%
25.00%
28.57%
12.50%
16.07%
1.79%
3.57%
0%
0%
0%
1.79%
What are you high?
1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-23-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Dunkirk (Nolan, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Well, I didn't care much for Interstellar OR Inception, so I guess this will be a rental for me down the road. Could never understand why Nolan is considered "great" - he's a competent director, but almost all of his movies have lacked emotional depth.
Pretty simple, some people prefer twisty plotlines to emotional depth. Most movies these days have become strictly about spectacle or recycled plotlines, Nolan is far from perfect but generally keeps his fans on their toes. Alas this is more at the script level.
Old 07-23-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I pretty much hated everything about this movie. I couldn't name a single character and with the accents I felt like I was almost watching a foreign film. Another Tom Hardy movie where we have to try and understand him through a mask?
Old 07-23-17, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught this yesterday. Thought it was a great movie and hope to go see it in IMAX as I feel that's most likely Nolan's true vision. While the violence wasn't at the level of what we've come to expect from WWII movies as of late, I was still surprised it got a PG-13 rating. I understand the lack of character development comments, but one must remember this covers a small time frame of a single incident in history.

Side note: I don't know why, but I always seem to have trouble understanding what certain characters are saying in Nolan movies. Same with movies by Michael Mann (except Last of the Mohicans) . I guess it's part of the desire to make the audience feel like they're eavesdropping on the characters' lives
Old 07-23-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's just a bunch of war action scenes strung together, no context and no character development at all. And for the life of me I can't figure out the purpose of telling the story in the three different timelines. Yeah, there was some overlap of characters, but there was no "Ahhh" moment where it tied everything together and it made sense. I have to tell you, outside of the Dark Knight movies, Nolan's an emperor with no clothes.
Old 07-24-17, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I'm a big Nolan fan so I decided to check this out tonight. I thought it was very well made and acted but have to be honest I didn't find myself very enthralled with the film. It's definitely a very slow burning war/rescue film which obviously it's supposed to be but it just didn't completely click with me. It was worth watching but I don't see myself revisiting it.
Yeah the movie just had zero emotional impact for me and I just felt like a bystander watching all these people desperately trying to get off this beach. The dogfight scenes were very cool and I'll probably buy the blu-ray just for that. A few moments did suck me in. The ominous leaflets all over the place with the graphic that they were surrounded and the downed pilot's cockpit filling up with water.

I'm a big Cillian Murphy fan, but his character felt flat as a pancake. I kept thinking about how a year ago, I saw Anthropoid with him and it was the most emotional war film I ever experienced.
Old 07-24-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It left some unanswered questions... I didn't mind the editing as soon as I was able to connect the timeline to the title cards. But there's no pay off to a lot of plot lines/characters.

Cillian Murphy has no reaction to finding out he killed George other than to disappear in the crowd?
Why did Hardy decide to land the Spitfire instead of bailing over the ocean closer to the rescue boats?
Was the kid part of the English that had no chance of boarding a rescue ship or was he a German spy?
Old 07-24-17, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
It left some unanswered questions... I didn't mind the editing as soon as I was able to connect the timeline to the title cards. But there's no pay off to a lot of plot lines/characters.

Cillian Murphy has no reaction to finding out he killed George other than to disappear in the crowd?
I think the point there was that what was realistically going to happen? It was an accident, they had been through hell, and Cillian's character has to live with what he did. I read that as "we've all suffered enough".

Why did Hardy decide to land the Spitfire instead of bailing over the ocean closer to the rescue boats?
His goal was to stay in the air as long as possible to protect the rescue effort. Ditching early to save himself wouldn't have occurred to him.

Was the kid part of the English that had no chance of boarding a rescue ship or was he a German spy?
Which "kid"? The main character was a British solider. They were on some kind of patrol in the town at the beginning. Once everyone was killed, he just made a run for it. I don't think he was originally supposed to be evacuated just yet. But it was a "fuck it, I'm getting out of here" moment.
Old 07-24-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The lack of character development was on purpose. Nolan said it was all about the event at center stage and not about the characters.

i loved the movie
Old 07-24-17, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

His goal was to stay in the air as long as possible to protect the rescue effort. Ditching early to save himself wouldn't have occurred to him.
I think it did occur to him, thus him opening the cockpit.
Old 07-24-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Which "kid"? The main character was a British solider. They were on some kind of patrol in the town at the beginning. Once everyone was killed, he just made a run for it. I don't think he was originally supposed to be evacuated just yet. But it was a "fuck it, I'm getting out of here" moment.
I only ask since it seemed he was well prepared with his oversized uniform and the quick change to seem like his was one of the field evacuation teams for the wounded.
Old 07-24-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I think it did occur to him, thus him opening the cockpit.
True - it just seemed to be that his overall intention was not to save himself, especially when there was more he could do to help.
Old 07-25-17, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A technically amazing film, but narratively a pretty soulless one that suffers from Nolan trying an editing gimmick that frankly doesn't serve an already brief film. I saw it in true 70mm and the sound design is amazing as are the aerial sequences, but I definitely don't think it's worthy of a top three spot amongst Nolan's other work and it sure isn't the best war movie ever made.
Old 07-25-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

While I'm not an expert on the aircraft, it kinda bugged me how it acted like a glider after it ran out of fuel. They were pretty heavy planes back then and it should've dropped like a rock.
Old 07-25-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
While I'm not an expert on the aircraft, it kinda bugged me how it acted like a glider after it ran out of fuel. They were pretty heavy planes back then and it should've dropped like a rock.
If his could glide why couldn't the planes that were shot down glide instead of crashing into the water?
Old 07-25-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I would imagine bullets would damage controls/wires for the ailerons and rudder.

Basically, to maintain flight you need thrust (engine) and lift (control surfaces).
Old 07-25-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew Nolan was toying with timelines again while viewing, but does anyone have something of an outline as when what occurred? Thanks!
Old 07-25-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently the air stuff was one hour (concluding with Tom Hardy's capture), sea stuff with Mark Rylance was one day (I'm assuming except for the part with getting the article published, so it "concluded" when they say their goodbyes), land stuff (including getting onto the boats/getting shot at) was one week.

Last edited by bluetoast; 07-25-17 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-25-17, 09:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

seeing this tomorrow. have high hopes...
Old 07-25-17, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Apparently the air stuff was one hour (concluding with Tom Hardy's capture), sea stuff with Mark Rylance was one day (I'm assuming except for the part with getting the article published, so it "concluded" when they say their goodbyes), land stuff (including getting onto the boats/getting shot at) was one week.
That is what the titles said for each section.
Old 07-26-17, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Under the right conditions they've glided 15 miles and more.
https://books.google.com/books?id=oa...0miles&f=false
Old 07-26-17, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When did the French soldier die? Was he the one that drowned when the shot-up boat went down, or was he the one that burned in the oil fire?

How did Cillian Murphy's character get from the boats that evacuated the torpedoed destroyer to sitting on the stern of the sunken ship (days later, I assume) that Mark Rylance rescued him from? Is that something we weren't shown?
Old 07-26-17, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe he drowned when the boat went down since he didn't understand the abandon ship call until he was tapped on the shoulder and by then it was too late. He was the one swallowed up by the water at the hatch while trying to get out.
Old 07-26-17, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
Under the right conditions they've glided 15 miles and more.
https://books.google.com/books?id=oa...0miles&f=false
Conditions would have to be near perfect. Plus there's a lot of info not mention like aircraft atitude, altitude and air speed when the engine went out. Weather would have to help too. The aircraft might have low drag.

The other thing I was wondering is how verifiable was the 15 miles. Pilots are known to embellish a bit.
Old 07-26-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Somebody help me : I'm going to see Dunkirk this afternoon. I have to choose between 70 mm or Imax (but not 70 mm Imax) showings
Spoiler:

Which should I pick?
Old 07-26-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
How did Cillian Murphy's character get from the boats that evacuated the torpedoed destroyer to sitting on the stern of the sunken ship (days later, I assume) that Mark Rylance rescued him from? Is that something we weren't shown?
My wife went to the bathroom during this part so I couldn't confirm with her - was that Cillian Murphy in the boat that wouldn't pick up the two soldiers from the water? I thought it was but I could not work out the timeline of how he ended up the only survivor of a sunken ship way out away from shore.

Only lingering question I had after the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.