Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
Re: Future Star Wars projects discussion thread - news, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’m not claiming to be right or wrong. People (not you) have cherry picked my posts and assumed differently because of my feelings towards The Last Jedi. I’m just making an observation.
I'm calling BS on your "I'm just making an observation" comment.

This line from your original post is more than an observation, it's pushing a viewpoint:

Seems a little telling to me that he conveniently didn’t mention Johnson or his trilogy....
Later you admitted to speculation:
It seems like some of you want me to not post because you don’t like my speculation... Again I’m taking what was said and speculating on that...
Your viewpoint on this interview, which you brought to this thread, hasn't been neutral.
Old 09-21-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

“Seems a little telling to me.” To me being the key words. I really can’t believe I have to spell it out for you this much. Essentially I was just phrasing a different way of saying in my opinion or in other words speculation. Of course that’s my viewpoint but I never claimed it to be right or wrong. That’s how I felt and continue to feel about it. Christ man give it a rest.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-21-18 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

“Seems a little telling to me.” To me being the key words. I really can’t believe I have to spell it out for you this much. Essentially I was just phrasing a different way of saying in my opinion or in other words speculation...
But speculation isn't observation, they're two different things. An observation is factual, objective, and neutral. Speculation is pushing a particular viewpoint.

An "observation" from that article would be "Iger didn't explicitly mention RJ's trilogy in his non-exclusive list of possible upcoming Star Wars movies." Inferring any additional meaning from that is speculation, based on particular viewpoints.

So you were never "just making an observation," since from the first post calling it "telling," you were pushing a particular viewpoint of that situation.
Old 09-21-18, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

FFS... When someone says it "seems a little telling", it's their take on an event. Period. Mike86 was giving his interpretation of Iger's statement. Hell I don't even agree with his take but can understand how he could arrive at that conclusion.

If we're going to start splitting hairs on "observation/speculation" when the two are inherently linked, the conversation is pretty much done.
Old 09-21-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
But speculation isn't observation, they're two different things. An observation is factual, objective, and neutral. Speculation is pushing a particular viewpoint.

An "observation" from that article would be "Iger didn't explicitly mention RJ's trilogy in his non-exclusive list of possible upcoming Star Wars movies." Inferring any additional meaning from that is speculation, based on particular viewpoints.

So you were never "just making an observation," since from the first post calling it "telling," you were pushing a particular viewpoint of that situation.
Okay Jay G. you win. You know all my thoughts and the motivations behind what I say. Just like you know what Iger says or just like you like to push how the opinions you have versus everyone else are the right ones. Seriously are you this fucking arrogant in real life?
Old 09-21-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
FFS... When someone says it "seems a little telling", it's their take on an event. Period. Mike86 was giving his interpretation of Iger's statement. Hell I don't even agree with his take but can understand how he could arrive at that conclusion.

If we're going to start splitting hairs on "observation/speculation" when the two are inherently linked, the conversation is pretty much done.
You may feel like it's splitting hairs, but I feel like it's an important distinction, especially when someone is trying to use "I'm just making an observation" as a dodge against any criticism of their viewpoint.

Okay Jay G. you win. You know all my thoughts and the motivations behind what I say.
I don't know what the hell you're thinking at all. I do know you don't like TLJ, and that you were obviously pushing speculation that the Iger interview boded ill for the RJ trilogy. That's just based on what you wrote though.

Just like you know what Iger says or just like you like to push how the opinions you have versus everyone else are the right ones.
I don't know what Iger said means for the RJ trilogy, which I already said and is the whole point of my argument. I'm not sure you're following this thread really well.

And why is it acceptable for you to state your opinions on this thread, but wrong for me to state mine?

Seriously are you this fucking arrogant in real life?
I can be, sure. Are you?

Last edited by Jay G.; 09-21-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Seemed pretty clear what Mike86 was saying to me too, the very literal breakdown and interpretation of the language used is pretty hilarious to me.
Old 09-21-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can be, sure. Are you?
I’m not the one coming across that way. The way you seem to talk down to everyone and act like your opinion is always the right one makes you come off that way. I don’t go around telling people their opinions are wrong or right or what they meant by something they posted. You are really something else.
Old 09-21-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m not the one coming across that way...
How do you know how you come off? Are you presuming to know how others are interpreting your posts?

Your posts follow a very familiar pattern. Post something you think is damning. When an alternative opinion is posted, you challenge it and defend your opinion. When you no longer want to defend your opinion (or have no defense left), you start playing the victim card, saying others are out to get you, instead of just arguing against a poor opinion you stated. You then switch to attacking me, the person, instead of the points I bring up in my posts.

This thread isn't about me. If you think I'm wrong, just explain why I'm wrong. Don't accuse me of arrogance just because I challenged your opinion. Or just drop the argument if you don't feel like defending your position anymore, or have said all you want to say about it. I'm under no obligation to give you the last word or to humor your wrong opinions.
Old 09-21-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Maybe a poll is in order on how people "come off".
Old 09-21-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 568 Likes on 354 Posts

The Last Jedi sucks.
Old 09-21-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts

I guess we can add hair-splitting to the “Rian Johnson The Last Jedi Defense Kit.”

Right between ad hominem attacks and whatabouting.
Old 09-21-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
The Last Jedi sucks.
That’s not a valid criticism.

Old 09-21-18, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
The Last Jedi sucks.
The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back.
Old 09-21-18, 04:34 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

I would bust a nut for 2 hours straight if the GoT guys were making a KOTOR trilogy.
Old 09-21-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 993 Likes on 701 Posts

Ah, if only we could go back to a day when Jay G. was the guy who would pop into threads and post helpful facts and information and mike86 was the guy going back and forth with me defending TLJ. Those truly were the good old days.
Old 09-21-18, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Ah, if only we could go back to a day when Jay G. was the guy who would pop into threads and post helpful facts and information and mike86 was the guy going back and forth with me defending TLJ. Those truly were the good old days.
I do admit to liking The Last Jedi the first couple times I saw it. Its only been on recent rewatches where the issues I have with it have started to bother me the more I think about them (though if I recall the issues I have with it aren't the same as yours).
Old 09-21-18, 08:42 PM

Received 1,980 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back.
Draven is correct.
Old 09-21-18, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I still just pop into threads with what I hope is helpful info. I think this recent post of mine may qualify as an example of that:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game...l#post13405666

Also, I'm not defending TLJ at all in this thread. You can hate it all you want for whatever reasons you want. My disagreement in this thread has nothing to do with my opinion of TLJ and everything to do with an accurate assessment of the facts as presented.

Finally, I guess some people have never been on my "bad side" before, but I can be pretty tenacious when I disagree with someone. This thread from 2007 is the earliest, and possibly purest, example that I can recall:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...g-colours.html
Old 09-22-18, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts

He gave one example, the first to pop into his head. Maybe he just got off the phone with the GoT guys before the interview, or it's the one he's looking forward to the most. It's not evidence of anything.
He's way smarter than that. He's not going to say just whatever pops into his head. When you read the whole interview you see how careful with his words he really is. I'm not saying that RJ's trilogy is cancelled but I think he purposely didn't mention it for whatever reason he had.
Old 09-22-18, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts

In my opinion.

I’m not the one coming across that way. The way you seem to talk down to everyone and act like your opinion is always the right one makes you come off that way. I don’t go around telling people their opinions are wrong or right or what they meant by something they posted. You are really something else.
You are coming across as someone just expressing their own opinion and speculation. Because we are on an internet discussion board so everything is inherently by the very nature of this medium, opinion and speculation and doesn't really have to be stated as such each and every time.

How do you know how you come off? Are you presuming to know how others are interpreting your posts?

Your posts follow a very familiar pattern. Post something you think is damning. When an alternative opinion is posted, you challenge it and defend your opinion. When you no longer want to defend your opinion (or have no defense left), you start playing the victim card, saying others are out to get you, instead of just arguing against a poor opinion you stated. You then switch to attacking me, the person, instead of the points I bring up in my posts.

This thread isn't about me. If you think I'm wrong, just explain why I'm wrong. Don't accuse me of arrogance just because I challenged your opinion. Or just drop the argument if you don't feel like defending your position anymore, or have said all you want to say about it. I'm under no obligation to give you the last word or to humor your wrong opinions.
You are coming off as an arrogant asstard.

So there you go there's some evidence on how you guys are perceived.
Old 09-22-18, 01:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Well, I still just pop into threads with what I hope is helpful info. I think this recent post of mine may qualify as an example of that:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game...l#post13405666

Also, I'm not defending TLJ at all in this thread. You can hate it all you want for whatever reasons you want. My disagreement in this thread has nothing to do with my opinion of TLJ and everything to do with an accurate assessment of the facts as presented.

Finally, I guess some people have never been on my "bad side" before, but I can be pretty tenacious when I disagree with someone. This thread from 2007 is the earliest, and possibly purest, example that I can recall:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...g-colours.html
I miss the days when Jay’s bad side only took a dozen posts to bring a thread to a close.
Old 09-22-18, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
You are coming off as an arrogant asstard.
Based on what you bolded in the quote you used as "evidence," apparently one can't call an opinion "wrong" or "poor" without being considered arrogant. Is that your stance? Whereas calling someone an "arrogant asstard" is perfectly polite?

Originally Posted by Trevor
I miss the days when Jay’s bad side only took a dozen posts to bring a thread to a close.
To be fair to baracine, he stopped when he ran out of argument, instead of sequeing into playing the victim card or attacking me.
Old 09-22-18, 09:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
To be fair to baracine, he stopped when he ran out of argument, instead of sequeing into playing the victim card or attacking me.
Fwiw, I was just making a joke after briefly comparing your relatively few posts in the thread you linked to the madman number of SW posts lately.
Old 09-22-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I only brought up a truth in how you come across and judging from other posts and messages I’ve received I'm not the only one who views you that way. I’m not playing a victim card. There’s no point in arguing with you because it goes nowhere. You take everything way too literally and nitpick every statement. You’ve gone as far as breaking down a post to make it seem like something I posted was supposed to come off a way that it wasn’t intended to, but you think you know it all and will just continue to argue it in an endless circle. You aren’t worth my time or energy to waste on stupid arguments, if you view that as me playing the victim card or giving up then so fucking be it. I’m tired of your shit.

/endrant

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.