Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-19, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,012 Likes on 704 Posts
Re: The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think the problem with just a lot of the changes is how unnecessary they are. That and the fact that the option of watching the unaltered films doesn’t really exist unless you want to use outdated technology or buy bootlegs.
I agree but I get what he was trying to do. He was trying to add stuff that he would have liked to but couldn't at the time due to budget and technology.

IMHO the worst of the worst changes are the ones that fundamentally alter a character like Greedo shooting first or adding screams or NOOOO where there wasn't anything to begin with. But the worst of the worst that almost makes it unwatchable is Jedi Rocks. It's just SO painful to watch.
Old 11-15-19, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I’m going to start randomly yelling “McKlunky!” at strangers, then peg them with water balloons or shoot them with paint balls. Been looking for a new, uniquely eccentric hobby!
Honestly the scene is already so messed up from the original intent that it just takes me right out of the movie now so Maclunky is just a hilarious addition to it. I will be first in line to buy a Greedo maclunky'd first shirt.
Old 11-15-19, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 661 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I will be first in line to buy a Greedo maclunky'd first shirt.
There's already some unofficial T-Shirt designs out there.
https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/67...eedo-maclunkey
https://www.teepublic.com/tank-top/6716975-maclunkey
https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/6703307-maclunkey
https://www.etsy.com/listing/7392764...edo-unisex-tee

Old 11-15-19, 12:00 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Those are great. Maybe #3 is the best.
Old 11-15-19, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,181 Likes on 920 Posts

Kinda like the first with Greedo’s face personally.
Old 11-15-19, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Those are great. Maybe #3 is the best.
Kinda like the first with Greedo’s face personally.
Nice! Yeah I liked the first one too and was ordering one especially since it's only $13 but $7 shipping?! For a T-Shirt?! That just kind of kills the whole thing.
Old 11-20-19, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 444 Likes on 324 Posts

Jon Favreau wants to make a new Star Wars Holiday Special. I say bring it on, I'll watch it as long as its not about characters from the sequel trilogy.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/jon...ay-1203405427/
Old 11-20-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Teepublic is having a sale right now, for anyone who was interested in a tee but thought their regular prices too expensive.

Last edited by Jay G.; 11-20-19 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-20-19, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Teepublic is having a sale right now, for anyone who was interested in a tee bought thought their regular prices too expensive.
Thanks for the heads-up! Got the Empire-looking Maclunkey It's so fucking stupid
Old 11-21-19, 12:36 PM

Received 4,715 Likes on 3,194 Posts
Re: Future Star Wars projects discussion thread - news, rumors, etc.

Are there any fans more implacable than Star Wars fans? Probably not. And with The Rise of Skywalker (aka Episode IX) set to wrap up the original saga when it opens Dec. 20, it's fair to say some are waiting with knives out to see what comes next.

The overarching and billion-dollar questions for Disney: Where does the Star Wars universe go from here? Will Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy stay or exit? Will Disney CEO Bob Iger and film studio chief Alan Horn give her the chance to steer this balky behemoth into a smooth flight path? And given the rocky recent past filled with fired and sidelined directors and aborted projects, which filmmaker(s) would even dare to take on the next phase of Star Wars?

Asked to comment on these topics, Disney has nothing to say. (All eyes on Episode IX, please.) And Kennedy, 66, may be reading into the silence. Asked how long she might stick around in her job, she recently told Rolling Stone: "What happens in the future, and how long and how much longer I do this? I don't know yet. I'm looking at all of that."

Kennedy hasn't offered any specifics, but the new Disney+ series The Mandalorian seems to provide a strong hint regarding her ideas about how to plot the future of Star Wars — if she's given the opportunity. Note that those plans involve a very limited role for Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige, who is set to produce his own film take on the franchise.

On Nov. 13, Disney held a premiere, showing three episodes of Mandalorian at its El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood. Unsurprisingly, creator Jon Favreau was the star of the night. Perhaps some of the most lavish praise for the Mandalorian experience came from eccentric filmmaker and Mandalorian actor Werner Herzog, who raved about the cutting-edge technology on display in the series. But his words seemed to be freighted with meaning beyond that. "What you are creating is an entire universe," Herzog said. "This universe is filled with new mythology. Not very often in the cultural history have we had new mythologies. And I find it very significant."

Creating a new mythology is, of course, the challenge that Disney faces with Star Wars. Kennedy is an experienced and competent producer, but she is not a creative visionary. (She made her name as a producer for creative visionary Steven Spielberg.) So who better than Favreau to play a leading role in charting the course? He has fan loyalty. He is as Team Disney as they come, having directed The Jungle Book and The Lion King. He worked with Kennedy on the all-important effort to launch Disney+. And having consulted on, executive produced and acted in Marvel movies, he is also close with Feige.

So with or without Kennedy, sources say it seems likely that Favreau will have a lot of say over the future of Star Wars. These sources also say Kennedy's ideal team includes key roles for Michelle Rejwan, a producer on Episode IX and Lucasfilm's senior vp live action development and production, and Dave Filoni, the veteran animation director and George Lucas protege who directed live action for the first time with two episodes of Mandalorian. Even if remaining at Lucasfilm is not in the cards for Kennedy, this plan would enable her to trumpet that she has done the job she was hired to do — completing the Skywalker saga — and left the franchise in good hands.

But on the movie side, nothing is going to happen fast. Iger already noted a Star Wars film "hiatus" in a Nov. 7 earnings call. In September, he told The New York Times that Disney "put a little bit too much in the marketplace too fast." (Was he the one who pushed to hurry out Solo: A Star Wars Story in 2018 despite Kennedy's misgivings? Well, yes.)

Sources say Kennedy has a film on deck for 2022, but not the one being developed by The Last Jedi filmmaker Rian Johnson. (No announcement is planned until January.) Kennedy's contract is up in 2021, so whether she will be on the job when this film is completed is not clear. Kennedy insists she's enjoyed running Lucasfilm, but in some ways it's hard to see how. She has had one of the hardest jobs in Hollywood: inventing stories under a white-hot spotlight and dealing in a universe where rabid fans have plenty of ideas, mostly about what they don't want. And she was picked by Lucas before he sold to Disney, not Iger. It's not hard to imagine that Iger would like to install his own choice to head this bauble that cost $4 billion and has generated some headaches since. It's also not hard to imagine that Iger has not enjoyed the negative noise around the franchise, despite the nearly $5 billion in global box office from Disney's four installments since 2015.

Fans were thrilled when THR reported that Feige had pitched a Star Wars movie. But for now, his plate is loaded. He is at a pivot point with the end of the Infinity saga in terms of films. He has taken control of the Marvel characters that previously belonged to Fox. And another Spider-Man movie just plopped into his lap (now that Sony Pictures has come to its senses). Feige also is launching shows in rapid sequence for Disney+, starting with Falcon and the Winter Soldier in fall 2020. And of course moving him to Star Wars risks tampering with the Marvel magic. But a number of industry observers still believe that Feige, 46, is the future. Given his track record, says one film agent, "If you're Iger, you've got to figure out a way to use that person."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...future-1256357
Old 11-21-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't object to the idea of bringing in Favreau, Michelle Rejwan, and Dave Filoni as creative directors of a sort for the franchise. Kevin Feige seems able to successfully navigate an overall commercial creative and commercial vision for Marvel with the individual creators and projects. I know people want Feige to take command of Lucasfilm/Star Wars as well, but with up to 4 Marvel films per year and the new TV shows, surely his plate is full. We don't need to spread one person thin over everything Disney. Personally, I think Kennedy has been really keen to promote individual creators and their views, but that seems to have only worked out half the time so far. I don't think she's necessarily approached projects knowing what she wants from it, and then ends up just figuring out what she doesn't want from it when the creators are doing something she doesn't like.
Old 11-21-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,860 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Just because Feige has performed a miracle with the Marvel Cinematic Universe doesn't mean that that success would translate to Star Wars. They are very different franchises.

I think Star Wars is between a proverbial rock and hard place, in that it must serve two masters -- the hardcore Star Wars fan, and the casual moviegoer. The hardcore Star Wars fan might eat up KOTOR (or something else set deep in the Old Republic era), but what about the mainstream audience? Are they going to reject a project like that because it doesn't have Darth Vader or a Skywalker in it? Are they even going to be able to accept that it takes place thousands of years before the familiar era? How far will Disney be able to expand the SW universe and still hold onto the casual audience? Or is just going to indefinitely repurpose the Empire vs Rebellion paradigm from the OT and ST? What happens when audiences get bored with a third Rebellion blowing up a fourth Death Star that was built by the third Empire in "Episode X?"

Do they keep rehashing familiar stories, hoping that the casual audience sticks around for the ride while alienating the hardcore fanbase, or do they start going left-field with stuff like KOTOR that appeals to the hardcore fanbase and hope that the casual audience sticks around for the ride? Keep playing it safe, or make the Star Wars Silmarillion?

Mickey Mouse is probably shitting his pants now at the thought that Star Wars is going to become a niche genre franchise like Star Trek.
Old 11-21-19, 05:28 PM
Banned

I’m a huge SW fan, but Star Wars is kind of stuck. As I’ve said many times before Star Wars is two fundamental things: A Samurai/Western film when it’s on the ground, and a WWI/WWII combat film in the air. Anything that isn’t those two things isn’t Star Wars. It’s very limiting.
Old 11-21-19, 05:39 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

they just need to do a Knights of the Old Republic trilogy, and do it well.
Old 11-21-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My vote is to not rush into any films for a while, which seems to be the plan anyways, and instead focus on the shows for the time being. When a good idea is there for a film though I’m all for bringing Favreau on board. Filoni too.
Old 11-21-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
they just need to do a Knights of the Old Republic trilogy, and do it well.
Sounds like a great way to lose a lot of money.
Old 11-21-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Sounds like a great way to lose a lot of money.
Why do you say that exactly? Could be a good story if done well. Just because you dislike the prequels doesn’t mean that there aren’t good stories to be told from that era.
Old 11-21-19, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why do you say that exactly? Could be a good story if done well. Just because you dislike the prequels doesn’t mean that there aren’t good stories to be told from that era.
Because anything, and I mean anything, they do is going to piss off half of the fandom.

If they make a KOTOR trilogy, then half of the fandom will applaud it, and the other half will throw a fit because it's a prequel or because "nobody asked for it."

Old 11-21-19, 07:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

a prequel thousands of years in the past won't have the same "I know where this is headed" feeling that the prequel trilogy had.
Old 11-21-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always thought Knights of the Old Republic was pretty unanimously popular despite how some people feel about the prequels. Plus like TGM mentioned it’s a prequel set way before the actual Prequel Trilogy so there’s a lot that could still be done with it and not have it be too predictable. Not sure why people would hate it, and I think you could get casual fans on board fairly easily.
Old 11-21-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 935 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I’m a huge SW fan, but Star Wars is kind of stuck. As I’ve said many times before Star Wars is two fundamental things: A Samurai/Western film when it’s on the ground, and a WWI/WWII combat film in the air. Anything that isn’t those two things isn’t Star Wars. It’s very limiting.
They're only stuck because they allow themselves to be stuck. Make a comedy set in the SW universe. Make an intense WWII like film like Saving Private Ryan. Hell if they hadn't waited so long they could have done a Courtship of Princess Leia flick.

Originally Posted by TGM
a prequel thousands of years in the past won't have the same "I know where this is headed" feeling that the prequel trilogy had.
Spoiler... Luke, Han and Leia still die.
Old 11-21-19, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
They're only stuck because they allow themselves to be stuck. Make a comedy set in the SW universe. Make an intense WWII like film like Saving Private Ryan. Hell if they hadn't waited so long they could have done a Courtship of Princess Leia flick.

Spoiler... Luke, Han and Leia still die.
You don’t get it. If they did those things then it wouldn’t be Star Wars.
Old 11-21-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 805 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
They're only stuck because they allow themselves to be stuck. Make a comedy set in the SW universe. Make an intense WWII like film like Saving Private Ryan.
They made those. They were called Solo and Rouge One. Then Disney didn't like them and had other directors re-do them to make them more homogeneous and bland.

I would still love to see the original directors cuts of both films.
Old 11-21-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TGM
It makes no difference. A lot of people just don't like the idea of "prequels" in general. I'm not sure why, they just do. If it's because the Star Wars prequels completely soured people on the idea, or it's because they only want forward momentum.

People were bitching about The Hobbit films because they were a prequel to Lord of the Rings. Despite the fact that J.R.R. Tolkien wrote and published The Hobbit before The Lord of the Rings. Folks also complained about Fantastic Beasts and the Game of Thrones prequels just for being prequels.
Old 11-21-19, 10:01 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I’m not sure you’re making a good case when you reference subpar series like The Hobbit or Fantastic Beasts movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.