DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-12-18, 07:14 PM   #701
JeffTheAlpaca
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

Dumb question but how come Mortal Kombat is not included?
Old 07-12-18, 08:03 PM   #702
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Probably just a choice, especially since Street Fighter is included and the bigger game. Wasn't the original neutered with no blood on the SNES too?

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 07-12-18, 08:26 PM   #703
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Probably just a choice, especially since Street Fighter is included and the bigger game. Wasn't the original neutered with no blood on the SNES too?
Technically, all the original home releases had no blood/gore, but the Genesis version had a not-so-secret code that unlocked the blood and gore:
http://www.pughoofgaming.com/videos/...at-blood-code/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal...#Home_versions

But yeah, the SNES Mortal Kombat was not a highlight of the console.
Old 07-12-18, 08:57 PM   #704
The Questyen
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mortal Kombat is also a third party title so the publisher could have said no.
Old 07-12-18, 10:34 PM   #705
Obi-Wan Jabroni
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have Mortal Kombat 1-3 (and over 200 more games) on mine. Considering using a storage expansion hack so I can load the entire SNES library, like I did on my NES.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 07-13-18, 06:07 AM   #706
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I have Mortal Kombat 1-3 (and over 200 more games) on mine. Considering using a storage expansion hack so I can load the entire SNES library, like I did on my NES.
I just watched a video on how to install and play the arcade versions on the SNES Classic via a MAME core.
Old 07-14-18, 03:54 PM   #707
Drexl
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
My guess is that Nintendo considers this a family-friendly device and does not want M-rated games on it. Although the SNES version of the first game might not receive that rating due to the censorship, it was not fondly remembered for that reason and probably wouldn't have been chosen anyway.

If any MK game was going to be on it, it would have been MKII, which is generally considered the best of the series.
Old 08-20-18, 06:10 AM   #708
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

From NES Classic thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
This is pretty hilarious (didn't see a SNES classic thread at a glance).

Assume it is a cart dumper /Hachki all in one gadget.
https://gonintendo.com/stories/31608...n-your-snes-cl
Old 09-10-18, 01:51 PM   #709
GreenMonkey
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Classic 2 Magic guys sent a review unit of their cart to SNES classic to the youtuber Modern Vintage Gamer and he reviews it:

You have to do some setup by dropping software on the usb drive. Looks to basically be a Hakchi interface (you can even see Hakchi on the drive during the review around the 3 min mark).

Doesn't look like they did anything to solve PAL issues or Canoe issues. Retroarch gets installed in the settings menu and you can run games from there.

Probably not authorized use of Retroarch, I'll guess, most of these gadgets it isn't.
Old 09-10-18, 05:24 PM   #710
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Mortal Kombat is also a third party title so the publisher could have said no.
Yea, but I doubt it since WB owns Midway now. Easy money to be made. I think more likely one of two scenarios. Nintendo wanted to keep it off because of the rating or they might be looking at adding "Mortal Kombat Trilogy" to the N64 classic when released.
Old 09-10-18, 07:27 PM   #711
majorjoe23
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
The Classic 2 Magic guys sent a review unit of their cart to SNES classic to the youtuber Modern Vintage Gamer and he reviews it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjx66eJvNo

You have to do some setup by dropping software on the usb drive. Looks to basically be a Hakchi interface (you can even see Hakchi on the drive during the review around the 3 min mark).

Doesn't look like they did anything to solve PAL issues or Canoe issues. Retroarch gets installed in the settings menu and you can run games from there.

Probably not authorized use of Retroarch, I'll guess, most of these gadgets it isn't.
RetroArch is free and open source, is any use authorized?
Old 09-10-18, 10:45 PM   #712
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
RetroArch is free and open source, is any use authorized?
While in general RetroArch is GPL3, which should allow for commercial use, some parts of RetroArch, in particular specific cores, have "non-commercial" licenses, meaning that they can't be used in a commercial product.
https://docs.libretro.com/tech/licenses/