Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Old 09-22-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Disney planning more Star Wars movies from 2021 and onwards

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I can think of a few pre-prequel films that could be interesting.

I'd like to see a film about the Sith before Darth Bane's "Rule of Two" was established. That could be some dark, crazy shit.

A KOTOR or "Tales of the Jedi"-era thing might be good, too. The Dark Horse TOTJ comics started out sort of interesting.
I loved those original Dark Horse comics with the Qel-Droma brothers. I'd love to to see movies set in that time period. I know that stuff isn't canon, but there's plenty of good story ideas to mine and adapt into something new.
Old 09-22-16, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
It would give Disney an excuse to put them back in the theaters and maybe soften some of the hard feelings too many people have towards the franchise as a whole.
One would think the $2b The Force Awakens raked in proved people have already softened and moved on from the Prequel debacle.

“Sometimes dead is better”
Old 09-23-16, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 423 Likes on 334 Posts

There's a part of me that wishes they would hire someone like Abrams to do re-edits of the prequels. While I can enjoy them, I can't help but feel that George's old skills as an editor are what really failed him there. All three could do with both being trimmed for pacing and having some critical deleted scenes re-inserted. It would give Disney an excuse to put them back in the theaters and maybe soften some of the hard feelings too many people have towards the franchise as a whole.
There is no amount of editing that can fix these films. It's about politics and it's mired in bad green screen with flat, 2D characters --- both in scope and visually. Horrible all the way around.
Old 09-23-16, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

I watched Revenge of the Sith last night on TNT and I felt like Lucas almost had it right with this one. Yes there was a lot of the same missteps as the other two prequel movies, but it was the best of them. I think biggest problem was it felt so rushed.
Old 09-23-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
There is no amount of editing that can fix these films. It's about politics and it's mired in bad green screen with flat, 2D characters --- both in scope and visually. Horrible all the way around.
Have you ever really watched the special features on the prequels? There are tons of scenes where real models/sets were used that folks would think was green screen and green screen used where you cannot tell the difference in the set.

And, yes, it has to do with politics - it has to do with the fall of a Republic.

These are not worthy criticisms anymore. There are issues with the story and the script, these are not it.
Old 09-23-16, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 496 Likes on 359 Posts

Have you ever really watched the special features on the prequels? There are tons of scenes where real models/sets were used that folks would think was green screen and green screen used where you cannot tell the difference in the set.

And, yes, it has to do with politics - it has to do with the fall of a Republic.

These are not worthy criticisms anymore. There are issues with the story and the script, these are not it.
I actually like the political story and how Senator Palpatine manipulated so many people to create his Empire and become it's Emperor. He was ruthless, clever, and amazingly smart - but not in a fake way.

That was the one part of the prequel trilogy that really worked. Almost everything else had some level of failure to it which, for a lot of people, tainted the political story, but the political part of the trilogy with Palpatine was very well written.
Old 09-23-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

They still seem like worthy criticisms to me.
Old 09-23-16, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just let the PT die, guys. You can't fix them to make them good. They're inherently crap.
Old 09-23-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ Well said.

Back on topic... as others have mentioned, taking the series back to a time where the galaxy was rampant with Jedi and Sith would be an ideal trilogy to me. I can't recall the source, but there was a video game or fan-made project showing Revan (I think) battling in a hanger with other Sith and Jedi. It looked pretty damned good and had me fired up for an off-shoot on that material.
Old 09-23-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 485 Likes on 330 Posts

I can't recall the source, but there was a video game or fan-made project showing Revan (I think) battling in a hanger with other Sith and Jedi. It looked pretty damned good and had me fired up for an off-shoot on that material.
Old 09-23-16, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,560 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
obviously they are going to bleed this thing dry. I'm sure a prequel trilogy to the prequel trilogy will happen. As well as a sequel trilogy to the sequel trilogy.
Disney doesn't have to run the series into the ground. Properly nurtured, it could last a long time. Superman first appeared in movie houses in 1941, and he's still going strong.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 09-23-16 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-23-16, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 830 Likes on 390 Posts

We don't get a new Superman movie every year though, and there have certainly been periods when people thought Superman was done as a theatrical franchise.
Old 09-24-16, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 416 Likes on 279 Posts

If Marvel can do it, then I'm all in for Star Wars. Bring on as many quality films as possible.
I'd argue that Marvel hasn't done it. Most of the MCU movies are awful.
Old 09-24-16, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
We don't get a new Superman movie every year though, and there have certainly been periods when people thought Superman was done as a theatrical franchise.
Also, there's like, one good Superman movie.
Old 09-24-16, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you're entitled to that opinion, but review aggregators tend to show that to be in the minority.
Old 09-24-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

, but all so many of us ever wanted was more adventures with Mark, Harrison and Carrie while they were in their prime.
I always wanted this instead of the Prequels going back to the 80's.
Old 09-24-16, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those Old Republic trailers look pretty cool but it just illustrates how lazy the creators were. The designs were right out of the movies. Clone Troopers, Star Destroyers, Destroyer Droids, TIE's etc. BS that something set 1000's of years ago would be same. Design new things!!!!
Old 09-24-16, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Super X
Well, you're entitled to that opinion, but review aggregators tend to show that to be in the minority.
Yeah, you'd lose that argument pretty quickly and easily. Given the widespread critical acclaim, critics and users alike, this seems like one of those cases where you should accept that your own opinion is significantly different from everyone else.
Old 09-26-16, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, you'd lose that argument pretty quickly and easily. Given the widespread critical acclaim, critics and users alike, this seems like one of those cases where you should accept that your own opinion is significantly different from everyone else.
Yeah, well, millions of people also think Donald Trump is going to make America great again. So I'm fine with being in the minority.
Old 09-26-16, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 227 Likes on 173 Posts

I watched The Empire Strikes Back last night on TNT and after all these years, it's still a great film. Then Return of the Jedi came on and was quickly reminded when the series fell off the tracks.

Even my Wife, who isn't really into Star Wars, got up and went to bed when the Ewoks showed up. I followed soon after. I just can't stomach Jar-Jar or the Ewoks. It's a shame it took over thirty years to finally get a good Star Wars film again.

I will be more than happy to go see new Star Wars movies as long as they are quality films.
Old 09-26-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats
Those Old Republic trailers look pretty cool but it just illustrates how lazy the creators were. The designs were right out of the movies. Clone Troopers, Star Destroyers, Destroyer Droids, TIE's etc. BS that something set 1000's of years ago would be same.
And still 100x better than the PTs
Old 09-26-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I watched The Empire Strikes Back last night on TNT and after all these years, it's still a great film. Then Return of the Jedi came on and was quickly reminded when the series fell off the tracks.

No doubt that Jedi is inferior to Star Wars and Empire, but atleast visually it holds up because of the realness to it. I haven't really watched the Prequels in a while, but when they came on yesterday afternoon, good god they look like one big videogame. It was so jarring when you compare them to the originals, as there is a certain irony in that Lucas thought CGI would make them look better.

Atleast Disney understood this as The Force Awakens and Rogue One look more like the Originals then the Prequels. I have to say that watching the Prequels now is comparable to watching a bad horror movie that makes you laugh as it's so bad that it's entertaining in a weird kind of way.
Old 09-26-16, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, well, millions of people also think Donald Trump is going to make America great again. So I'm fine with being in the minority.
Yeah, that's basically the same thing.
Old 09-26-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I actually like the political story and how Senator Palpatine manipulated so many people to create his Empire and become it's Emperor. He was ruthless, clever, and amazingly smart - but not in a fake way.

That was the one part of the prequel trilogy that really worked. Almost everything else had some level of failure to it which, for a lot of people, tainted the political story, but the political part of the trilogy with Palpatine was very well written.
Except that we have no idea where he came from. How a Sith Lord became a Senator in the first place. There are things we don't need to know, we don't need to know how he found Maul or how he killed his master. However they left him, a major character, far to vague for my liking.
Old 09-26-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
how he killed his master
In his sleep

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.