Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that feature actual comic books

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that feature actual comic books

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
Re: Movies that feature actual comic books

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Killing Joke in there too. Where's the Akira?
I recognize Atomica Press A1 next to Akira.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATOMICA-PRES...p2047675.l2557
Old 08-26-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Gremlins does:

Old 08-26-15, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

None are coming to me off the top of my head but I know I've seen EC Comics pop up in several different movies.
Old 08-27-15, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Here's a screenshot I found on my old computer. From The Body Shop (Doctor Gore) (1973):

She's reading Hot Stuff, the Little Devil #19 (Harvey - January 1960) (I think).

In A Good Time With a Bad Girl (1967), the girl's reading Wonder Woman #166 (DC - November 1966).

NSFW:

Old 08-27-15, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Adventures in Babysitting (1987)

Has one scene of Thor comic book where Sara was drawing a picture of Thor.
Old 08-27-15, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Some mentioned from Snake's big list:

ROM was kinda popular in RoboCop

^Never even noticed that two different takes were used in that scene

*When checking out Mallrats*
Any regular Comic Book Men viewers here? Man, Walt and (Especially) Bri sure have changed
Spoiler:

BTW, it's kinda cool to scroll through all these shots with the Superman theme playing from that 3rd post.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 08-27-15 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-27-15, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I know I've seen other old movies with comic books, but it's been so long since I've seen them or thought about them that I can't recall them offhand. The Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis comedy, ARTISTS AND MODELS (1955) is about a comic book artist and takes place at the offices of a comic book publisher, but I don't recall if they used any real comic book covers in it.
I decided to watch this, since I have a copy and I couldn't remember whether I'd seen it or not (I hadn't, at least not much of it). The comics in the movie were all fake comics, so it doesn't fit this thread, but they did touch on the mid-fifties comic book hysteria some (Seduction of the Innocent was published sometime the year before the film was released), so it's definitely worth a look just for that.
Old 08-27-15, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Not a movie, but an episode of the TV show Naked City has one of the best ever:

The following users liked this post:
ntnon (07-08-23)
Old 08-27-15, 08:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

EC's Tales From the Crypt #32 (Oct-Nov 1952) is featured in Fritz Lang's While the City Sleeps (1956). Comic books are to blame for The Lipstick Killer's reign of terror.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/343047696591474965/

EDIT: "While the City Sleeps" is also the title of a Batman story. Batman shows Robin people at work in Gotham City at night, which leads to stumbling onto criminal activity. Published in Batman #30 (Aug-Sept 1945) and reprinted in Batman #236 (Nov 1971).

Last edited by digidoh; 08-30-15 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Noted similarly titled Batman story.
Old 08-27-15, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole

Originally Posted by digidoh
EC's Tales From the Crypt #32 (Oct-Nov 1952) is featured in Fritz Lang's While the City Sleeps (1956). Comic books are to blame for The Lipstick Killer's reign of terror.

Wow to both of these two! And that's Burgess Meredith in the screen shot from "Naked City," who would, of course, go on to play a comic book villain just a few years later in "Batman."

The "Naked City" episode was "Hold for Gloria Christmas" and you can read an IMDB review of it here with a reference to the comic:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0656794/reviews

I've seen WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS, but not in 38 years so I didn't recall the comic book inclusion. John Barrymore Jr. (aka John Drew Barrymore) played the Lipstick Killer. He's the father of Drew Barrymore.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-27-15 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-27-15, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

whoa.
Old 08-27-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Predator:

Not a movie, but I always remember Radar reading The Avengers in an episode of MASH as one of the first times I saw a real comic used in such a manner:

It's been a while since I saw Artists & Models, but I don't think there were any real comics used. But it may be cuz the only thing I really remember from that film is a young Shirley MacLaine showing off her ass and legs.
Old 08-27-15, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Son of a bitch. I forgot about Predator. That's all he does mostly. Carries a damn comic around. lol.
Old 08-27-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Outsiders (Again, thanks to the widescreen format, I could never previously spot that Batman comic on the rack)

Why am I not surprised that Dim-X would come up with those shots from the SWV vault? Kudos to the nsfw pic

Couldn't resist throwing in some more Nightmare in Blood shots. It's just so cool to see what a 70's comic shop looked like.

And yeah, big jackpot win on that NAKED CITY episode!
Old 08-27-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Ah, that's right. Even Tobey Maguire (In his Peter Parker voice) mentions Reed Richards outloud. Somebody should've thrown that audio clip on one of those Marvel fan vids. Maybe someone already did?
!!! Ang Lee was building a comic universe under our noses.
Old 08-27-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why am I not surprised that Dim-X would come up with those shots from the SWV vault?
Which part was obvious; the SWV movies? Or that I'd be odd enough to collect screenshots of people in old movies reading comic books?
Kudos to the nsfw pic
I know the pic was actually pretty tame (due to the shadows), but that scene goes on for a while and does get NSFW pretty soon after.
Couldn't resist throwing in some more Nightmare in Blood shots. It's just so cool to see what a 70's comic shop looked like.

Great shots. I used that same shot of Thor #218 on the rack a month or so back to illustrate a specific comic spinner rack style.
Spoiler:

And yeah, big jackpot win on that NAKED CITY episode!
It's a little hard to see in that small pic, but there's also a copy of Journey into Mystery #83 back there. You can see it better in this shot.

Assuming that's an actual newsstand, it appears that episode was filmed about the same time as Goldilocks and the Three Bares (1963).

EDIT:

For the obsessive types: The other two comics in this pic appear to be Margie #2 (Dell - Jul/Sep 1962) and Richie Rich Millions #2 (Harvey - Sep 1962).

Last edited by Dimension X; 08-27-15 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-27-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by digidoh

Here's a couple of screenshots from the scene discussed at that link (along with the cover for that issue of Tales From the Crypt). Sorry about the quality of the pics. They're from a copy I recorded off TCM many, many years ago.

Old 08-27-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I soooo want to reach into some of these images and snag the comics.

It's pretty cool when they use interesting titles like Werewolf By Night or Master of Kung Fu instead of the same old Batman and Spider-Man stuff. I'd like to think it was a reflection of the prop guy's own reading habits.

Also, who ever decided to go with the Egg Fu issue of Wonder Woman deserved a bonus.
Old 08-27-15, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's one I watched last April. I left myself a note, but forgot to take any screenshots.

Drive-In (1976) - the leader of the bad guys is apparently a comic book reader.

I think that's a copy of Chamber of Chills #17 (Marvel - July 1975) he's reading, but it's hard to make out in those shots.

Here's the front and back covers of that issue for reference:
Spoiler:

Later on, in a scene at the drive-in, you can see a stack of comics in the van (good luck figuring out what comics they are).

Last edited by Dimension X; 08-27-15 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-27-15, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

They've appeared on television as well. There is the famous easter egg in Lost with a Flash comic in Spanish. It featured an image of a polar bear from the comic.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Gree...iends_Part_One
Old 08-27-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, I remembered another one. Sort of. I couldn't remember which movie it was. What I remembered was that the guy reading the comics was working at a massage parlor. I thought it might be Massage Parlor Murders! (1973) (which I'd watched recently), but no dice. Then suddenly I remembered that it was A Scream in the Streets (1973) (what a surprise, another SWV title).

So here's another sleazy bastard reading comics:

For those keeping score at home: We have Supergirl #5 (DC - June 1973), The Cat #4 (Marvel - June 1973), and under his feet in the last shot, the only one I can make out is Shanna, the She-Devil #4 (Marvel - June 1973).
Old 08-27-15, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Thanks. Found it.

That comic looks pretty beat up for being "Brand new" in the 50's. But I'll give 'em a break and say that it actually came out in the 40's.
Eh, He'd probably been carrying it around in his back pocket or something. Back then, nobody worried about how you were supposed to handle comics.
Old 08-27-15, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Actually, I am almost positive the comic seen in Superman's opening credits is not an actual published comic book. That was a mock-up made for the movie.
You are correct. It was once explained by DC's "Answer Man" Dave Rozaskis that the comic was made especially for the movie.
Old 08-28-15, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Preterite
I soooo want to reach into some of these images and snag the comics.

It's pretty cool when they use interesting titles like Werewolf By Night or Master of Kung Fu instead of the same old Batman and Spider-Man stuff. I'd like to think it was a reflection of the prop guy's own reading habits.
Yeah, I always wondered (As long as no licensing problems occur) who decides on what to display. And good for the prop guy who likes the lesser-known stuff, if true.

EDIT-In WEREWOLF BY NIGHT's case (For those who don't know) that's James Brown with the comic on the flight to "The Rumble in the Jungle". It would be cool to know if "Soul Brother #1" was actually a big fan of that comic.

Scream in the Streets has made it into the topic. We have now reached the zenith!!!

Dangit. Could've swore we saw the cover of the comic that Zipper is reading in Electra Glide in Blue, but all we get is dialogue

Here's the oldest one I've found thus far. From 1944's The Whistler

Directed by William Castle and "Whitey" (Bowery Boy) Benedict doing the reading. Hope I get a pat on the back from Ash for this one!

^I hope that's not a SUPER DICKERY list he's typing out!

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 08-28-15 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-28-15, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Here's the oldest one I've found thus far. From 1944's The Whistler

Directed by William Castle and "Whitey" (Bowery Boy) Benedict doing the reading. Hope I get a pat on the back from Ash for this one!
Triple wow and extra points for identifying Billy "Whitey" Benedict! Pat on the back on its way...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.