Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that feature actual comic books

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that feature actual comic books

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: Movies that feature actual comic books

I'm pretty sure the two comics to the left of the Superman comic above are Captain Aero and Catman comics, but I haven't been able to match any specific covers to my satisfaction to say which issues they are. I have no idea what the others might be.

EDIT: Okay, I took the two likeliest candidates, subtracted the color and blurred them, and now they look enough like the books in the screenshot to convince me that they are Captain Aero #15 (June, 1944) and Cat-Man #25 (July, 1944).

I did want to point out that that film was the second one we've seen in this thread directed by William Castle to include a Superman comic (the other one was The Whistler, also from 1944).

And now something new...

In The Girl Hunters (1963), when Mickey Spillane, playing Mike Hammer, stops by a newsstand, a copy of Mad #77 (March, 1963) can be seen to his left.

Last edited by Dimension X; 02-08-24 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-09-24, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

This film has probably already been mentioned way earlier in this thread, but I recently watched Elvira Mistress of the Dark on Blu and there is a scene in a bowling alley where a guy is clearly reading Amazing Spider-Man 298 or 299, based on the cover. That made me chuckle when I noticed it.
The following users liked this post:
Dimension X (02-10-24)
Old 02-10-24, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

From the 1962 British film The Wrong Arm of the Law
The following users liked this post:
Dimension X (02-10-24)
Old 02-10-24, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
This film has probably already been mentioned way earlier in this thread, but I recently watched Elvira Mistress of the Dark on Blu and there is a scene in a bowling alley where a guy is clearly reading Amazing Spider-Man 298 or 299, based on the cover. That made me chuckle when I noticed it.
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I really can't believe ALL the scenes that have been mentioned so far....And they just keep on comin'!

Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark

Spoiler:

My Science Project

Spoiler:

Old 02-10-24, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,082 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I watched that for the Halloween challenge this year and was shocked to see it so prominently as well perturbed how they handle it. Don't they know how much that issue is worth nowadays!

And if I remember correctly, wasn't this McFarlane's first issue as artist om Spider-Man which made it a key issue to own? I had it back then and sold it for probably 15 bucks because it was a hot book in the early 90's. Sob.
Old 02-10-24, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I watched that for the Halloween challenge this year and was shocked to see it so prominently as well perturbed how they handle it. Don't they know how much that issue is worth nowadays!

And if I remember correctly, wasn't this McFarlane's first issue as artist om Spider-Man which made it a key issue to own? I had it back then and sold it for probably 15 bucks because it was a hot book in the early 90's. Sob.
#298 was the 1st McFarlane ASM. #299 is a key for the cameo of Venom.
Old 02-21-24, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yet another Mad Magazine.

In Party Crasher: My Bloody Birthday (2000), after Henry requests a magazine, his father brings him what appears to be Mad Special #97 (aka Mad Collector's Series #8).

Old 03-15-24, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In I Am Joe's Eye (1983), illustrating that "it's just a myth that reading in dim light is bad for" your eyes, a kid is seen reading a reprint of Weird Fantasy #13 (EC Classic Reprint #5 - East Coast Comics, 1973).

Last edited by Dimension X; 03-15-24 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-19-24, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Drug addicts like comics. In the Encyclopedia Britannica anti-drug film Ups/Downs (1971), we see a familiar copy of DC Special #8 (Jul/Sep 1970).

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Another educational short. In Acid (1971), a guy goes into another guy's apartment for some LSD, and you can see a copy of DC Special #8 (Jul/Sep 1970) on his ottoman.

Old 04-27-24, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

The Accountant has copies of Action #1 and - fascinatingly! - All-American #16 in a drawer along with Babe Ruth baseball cards at the 1h 6m 37s left mark.

At 1h 6m 9s left, we see (blurrily) that Superman's 1st is atop More Fun #52.

Top marks to the props people. I want to know if they're real, and if they're Affleck's!

Last edited by ntnon; 04-27-24 at 01:58 AM.