Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that feature actual comic books

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that feature actual comic books

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-21, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: Movies that feature actual comic books

Zombieland: Double Tap (2019) joke has Jesse Eisenberg reading a copy of The Walking Dead #27 (Image - April, 2006).

Old 10-26-21, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In The Dead Don't Die (2019), I saw a few different issues of Eerie and Creepy in the nerd's gas station.

In his first scene, you can see a copy of Creepy #96 (March, 1978) and a copy of Eerie #62 (January, 1975).

There were some other ones in a later scene, but I just didn't care enough to grab the shots.
Old 10-26-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Thanks for continuing to post screenshots Dimension X, I enjoy seeing them.
Old 10-26-21, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Thanks for continuing to post screenshots Dimension X, I enjoy seeing them.
Thanks. It's nice to get the occasional remarks, just to know that people are still looking, but I doubt I'll quit posting these, even without an audience - I really am that obsessed with it. Plus identifying the books is like a game, or a puzzle that I usually enjoy. I just didn't feel like looking for the other magazines shown in that particular movie tonight.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dimension X:
Jaymole (10-27-21), ntnon (07-08-23), Trevor (10-27-21)
Old 10-27-21, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Thanks. It's nice to get the occasional remarks, just to know that people are still looking, but I doubt I'll quit posting these, even without an audience - I really am that obsessed with it. Plus identifying the books is like a game, or a puzzle that I usually enjoy. I just didn't feel like looking for the other magazines shown in that particular movie tonight.
I am always on the lookout for comics in movies, especially if there is a newsstand. Sadly, most movies from the 40's did not put comics in their newsstands.
The following users liked this post:
Dimension X (10-27-21)
Old 10-28-21, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am always on the lookout for comics in movies, especially if there is a newsstand. Sadly, most movies from the 40's did not put comics in their newsstands.
Sometimes I think I look at the background in movies as much as I watch the actors. If you want something easy to find in movies (foreign or domestic, old or new), look for Coca Cola signs, bottles, cans, etc. - I think that's the most common thing I see. It may actually be rarer to not see something that says Coke at least once in a movie.
Old 10-31-21, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I posted shots from this one six years ago, but could only make out Howard the Duck. Watching a projected HD copy of the film tonight made a second title stand out that I missed then (Godzilla). So here's the three comics I was able to identify tonight in Halloween (1978).

Godzilla #12, Captain America #223, and Howard the Duck #26 (all from Marvel - July, 1978).
John Pannozzi (12-09-21)
Old 11-02-21, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At the end of Capulina Contra los Monstruos (1974), you can see a couple of Mexican comic books on a newsstand.

On the left are 8 copies of Baticomic #44, and on the right are three copies of El Llanero Solitario #227.

You can read the Batman comic here.

Last edited by Dimension X; 11-03-21 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Found the Lone Ranger book.
Old 11-03-21, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

At the end of Capulina Contra los Monstruos (1974), you can see a couple of Mexican comic books on a newsstand.

On the left are 8 copies of Baticomic #44, and on the right are three copies of El Llanero Solitario #227.

You can read the Batman comic here.
If you're that desperate, you might check out "The Devil All the Time" on Netflix. About 25 minutes in, the kid is reading a comic book with the pages folded back (gasp!). You can't see the cover, but it's one of those 60s comics that had the title printed at the top of every page. I've been meaning to go back and try to freeze frame it and take a closer look. I wouldn't be able to post a screen grab anyway.
Old 11-03-21, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Quatermass
If you're that desperate, you might check out "The Devil All the Time" on Netflix. About 25 minutes in, the kid is reading a comic book with the pages folded back (gasp!). You can't see the cover, but it's one of those 60s comics that had the title printed at the top of every page. I've been meaning to go back and try to freeze frame it and take a closer look. I wouldn't be able to post a screen grab anyway.
Desperate? I was watching a movie last night on a streaming channel. I saw a Batman comic on the screen. I found the movie on YouTube and grabbed a screenshot. I was able to identify the comic, so I posted it. (It's kinda what I do.)

The Devil All the Time? Post #312 . I couldn't find that one. You stumped me.

Last edited by Dimension X; 11-03-21 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-04-21, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Desperate? I was watching a movie last night on a streaming channel. I saw a Batman comic on the screen. I found the movie on YouTube and grabbed a screenshot. I was able to identify the comic, so I posted it. (It's kinda what I do.)

The Devil All the Time? Post #312 . I couldn't find that one. You stumped me.
Sorry, that wasn't intended as a put-down. I really enjoy all of your posts and can't believe how adept you are at finding them.

Now I'm worried I'm losing my marbles, because I have no recollection of posting that exact same thing (or seeing the reply) before.
Old 11-04-21, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Sorry, that wasn't intended as a put-down. I really enjoy all of your posts and can't believe how adept you are at finding them.

Now I'm worried I'm losing my marbles, because I have no recollection of posting that exact same thing (or seeing the reply) before.
No problem. I know I watch a lot of crap that no one else would watch.

Speaking of which...

The kid in Making Contact (Joey) (1985) has a few comics strewn about among the multitudinous 1980's pop culture detritus in his messy bedroom. Some of them I couldn't make out well enough to tell what they were, but here's what I was able to identify.

A copy of Sad Sack #279 (May, 1981) partially hidden under some stuff., but it shows up again on his floor, unobscured, later in the movie.

Copies of Warlord #42 (Feb., 1981) and Weird War Tales #115 (Sept., 1982) on a shelf. The Weird War comic makes another appearance on the floor also.

Phantom Zone #4 (April, 1982). It too shows up a second time, later in the film.

And finally, a copy of Sad Sack Laugh Special #91 (Oct., 1976), along with Iron Man #185 (August, 1984).

Edit: Looking back at these screenshots, it's kind of surprising, given all the Star Wars crap the kid had, that none of it appears in any of these shots.

Last edited by Dimension X; 11-04-21 at 08:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dimension X:
Jaymole (11-05-21), John Pannozzi (03-10-22)
Old 11-05-21, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched a film last year from the 1940's and someone was holding a bunch of comics in his hand, one of which, I am pretty sure, was a Flash comic. Wish I could remember the film...I will have to dig into my the recesses of my brain some more.
Old 11-05-21, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will also mention getting upset by the anachronistic appearance of a comic...an episode of MASH where Radar is reading an Avengers comic. I am probably the only person who got upset watching that episode
Old 11-05-21, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched a film last year from the 1940's and someone was holding a bunch of comics in his hand, one of which, I am pretty sure, was a Flash comic. Wish I could remember the film...I will have to dig into my the recesses of my brain some more.
I hope you can remember it. I'd like to watch it.
I will also mention getting upset by the anachronistic appearance of a comic...an episode of MASH where Radar is reading an Avengers comic. I am probably the only person who got upset watching that episode
You're not alone in that. I try to mention anachronisms when I post them, even if it's just a few weeks off, like in Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood (and yes, I take into account the difference in the cover date and the actual sale date).

I was looking through my rejected screenshots from Making Contact, and the comic in this one (which I couldn't make out yesterday) is probably the same copy of Sad Sack Laugh Special #91 (it's in the same position) that I posted before. As a bonus, you can spot at least one Star Wars toy in this shot.

And the crew member in the bottom left that I didn't notice until after posting that shot is an extra bonus. Man, that was a terrific crappy movie.

Last edited by Dimension X; 11-05-21 at 05:35 AM.
Jaymole (11-05-21), John Pannozzi (03-10-22)
Old 12-08-21, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A crate full of late 1950s comics is featured prominently in the educational short Moving Things on Land (1958). The narrator tells us that Jim's mother has told him he has to get rid of his comic book collection, but "what's bad for Jim is good for Bobby Cooper, who's gonna get a nice big collection of comic books." Now the two boys just have to figure out how to overcome friction and move that big wooden box all the way over to Bobby's house.

In this first shot of the box, I was able to identify three Dell comics: Four Color #927 (June, 1958), Gunsmoke #8 (April, 1958), and Little Iodine #39 (January, 1958).

Then, later in the short, I saw a copy of Police Action from 1954 which I was unable to exactly identify, and on top of that, a copy of what I believe is Dennis the Menace #20 (January, 1957) - but it's hard to be sure.

Last edited by Dimension X; 12-09-21 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Found a definitive source for the film's release date
The following 3 users liked this post by Dimension X:
Ash Ketchum (12-08-21), John Pannozzi (03-10-22), Trevor (12-08-21)
Old 12-11-21, 01:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Saw the new West Side Story last night. Much of the film is set in a corner store with a ton of comic books and prominent shots with them in the background all the time. So I thought of DX and this thread all movie long. Great film btw.
Dimension X (12-12-21)
Old 12-12-21, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Saw the new West Side Story last night. Much of the film is set in a corner store with a ton of comic books and prominent shots with them in the background all the time. So I thought of DX and this thread all movie long. Great film btw.
I barely even knew there was a new version, but since the old one is one of the few musicals I liked enough to watch more than once, I figured I'd check it out eventually. Now I have a reason to seek it out earlier. Thanks.
Old 12-19-21, 11:30 AM

You’re going to have your work cut out for you. There is another shelf and at least one spinner rack too.
John Pannozzi (03-10-22)
Old 12-19-21, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope I can get a better, sharper screenshot than that because I didn't have any luck confirming that any of those are real.

EDIT: I decided I should post some pictures so people won't be entirely disappointed. Not a movie (but I've had these pics for a couple of months, and I figured Trevor would enjoy them):
Spoiler:

In Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode #417:"Crash of Moons,"

Crow can be seen reading a copy of DC Super-Stars #2 (April, 1976), while Joel is reading Red Sonja (vol. 3) #9 (May, 1985), and Tom Servo is reading Fightin' Army #14 (November, 1979).

Two seasons later, in episode #606: "The Creeping Terror." Mike is walking by, carrying a stack of comics, when Tom asks him to sign in...

Mike says he's just dropping off a stack of Mole Men comics for his buddy Crow,

and in fact we can see Curse of the Mole Men #1 (1991) - the one and only issue, on the top of the stack - but Tom makes him sign in anyway.

Not to be outdone, later in the same season, in episode #617: "The Sword and the Dragon," we see Dr. Forester and TV's Frank bagging and sorting their collections.

Dr. Forester collects Starlog Magazines, so we can ignore him, but Frank has what I believe to be a copy of the Sword of Azrael trade paperback (1993), Curse of the Mole Men #1 (again), and Wonder Woman #62 (February, 1992) among his collection of comics.

Last edited by Dimension X; 12-19-21 at 08:47 PM.
John Pannozzi (12-21-21), Trevor (12-20-21)
Old 12-20-21, 06:19 AM

Sweet! Thanks Dx.

On the WSS comics, I’m reading on some comic creator social media feeds that all really old comics like these in film are likely replica props; based on real comics, but not the actual comics. There was an interesting link or two that I’ll try to find and post.
Old 12-20-21, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Sweet! Thanks Dx.

On the WSS comics, I’m reading on some comic creator social media feeds that all really old comics like these in film are likely replica props; based on real comics, but not the actual comics. There was an interesting link or two that I’ll try to find and post.
Yeah, It's probably just cheaper to make replicas than to use pricey originals (especially when there are so many on display). I'd be interested in reading about it, because I'm pretty certain that Adventures Into Mystery (at least that's what I think the title says) book in the center of the picture is a fake (there were only 8 issues, and none of them look like the one in the shot).

Last edited by Dimension X; 12-20-21 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-20-21, 08:31 PM

I misremembered. Looks like just discussion and not any real links about the process. If you have Facebook, it’s a recent post from Michael T Gilbert. Not sure if his profile is set to private or not.
Old 12-21-21, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All I see in your post is this:

Left clicking for a link produced nothing, so I searched for Michael T Gilbert on Facebook and found his page, but I'm not reading through all that to try to find one post. He's never been someone I cared about one way or another - I know I have some Mr. Monster books I picked up in quarter boxes - but I don't think I'd care to read through the daily musings of someone I actually liked either.

EDIT: After posting that, I decided to quote your post and found the Facebook link that way, but it gives a similar message.
John Pannozzi (01-19-22)
Old 12-31-21, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Near the end of the movie, as the kid in Super Dark Times (2017) is ransacking the other kid''s bedroom, you get a quick look at a pile of bagged and boarded comics on the floor.

I see copies of Lobo #1 (December, 1993) and Daredevil #s 45 & 46 (May & June, 2003) for sure, but I'm not certain on the rest. I thought the film was set in the '90s, so (if that's right) of course the Daredevils are anachronistic.

John Pannozzi (03-10-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.