Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Terminator Genisys?
Loved it, Bring on the next movie!
9.26%
Liked it
33.33%
It was alright
23.15%
It was watchable, but disappointing
21.30%
Hated it with every fiber of my being
3.70%
Not going to waste my hard earned money on it
1.85%
Not interested in seeing it in theaters, but will catch it on BD/DVD
5.56%
Will wait even longer until it hits HBO or On demand
0.93%
I refuse to support this movie in any form. It never should have been made.
0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
there's really no way to expand it...you just have to keep providing new twists on the timeline.
Here is what a reviewer recently said :

"Once it's clear that anything can be undone and redone by changing the time lines, everything ceases to matter. There will always be a John Connor; there will always be a Skynet; there will always be a Terminator."
Old 07-06-15, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
T2 worked on all cylinders.
To this day it still has the best teaser trailer out there.
Old 07-06-15, 08:32 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipper II
To this day it still has the best teaser trailer out there.
The *trailers* to T2 are better than the whole of T3, T4, and T5.
Old 07-06-15, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 210 Posts

Did the trailers reveal that Arnold was good? With dropping the gun, etc? Did most people know that going in?
Old 07-06-15, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I enjoyed it for the most part. Found some of the simultaneous, or alternate timeline stuff confusing but not too much so. Think a nice rated R version with some Emilia Clarke tits on display would have been better. She had a tough time pulling off the tough chick look
Old 07-07-15, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the movie was ok. The actress playing Sarah Connor was way to young looking. She looks like she is 14 years old. The way they handled t-1000 was dumb. He fell back multiple times from being shot by hand guns. In T2 that would have only put holes in him that would close up. There was a point where the liquid metal got on the truck but we never see how it got there. The T-1000 walks slowly while having acid dumped on him. Why F didn't he run super fast like he did like 10 minutes before. There were many small things like these that didn't make much sense to me. I still thought the movie was ok though.
Old 07-07-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Did the trailers reveal that Arnold was good? With dropping the gun, etc? Did most people know that going in?
Yes. They gave away the whole thing in the trailer.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eajuMYNYtuY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-07-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 348 Likes on 234 Posts

Saw this over the weekend. I thought "it was alright". The story on its own was interesting with some pretty cool elements to the plot. I agree with others though that the casting was not great. I think it could have been a better movie with no changes other than different actors in the John Connor and Kyle Reese roles alone.

I'm still confused about what point in the future the T-1000 and "Pops" were sent back from when Sarah was 9.

The helicopter chase also really took me out of the movie. I know that scene is supposed to take place 4 years from now, but I really don't think helicopters will be able to absurdly break so many laws of physics by then.
Old 07-07-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,706 Likes on 2,664 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Saw this over the weekend. I thought "it was alright". The story on its own was interesting with some pretty cool elements to the plot. I agree with others though that the casting was not great. I think it could have been a better movie with no changes other than different actors in the John Connor and Kyle Reese roles alone.

I'm still confused about what point in the future the T-1000 and "Pops" were sent back from when Sarah was 9.

The helicopter chase also really took me out of the movie. I know that scene is supposed to take place 4 years from now, but I really don't think helicopters will be able to absurdly break so many laws of physics by then.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/term...ine-franchise/

This article tries to explain the extremely convoluted timelines.
Old 07-07-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To be fair, it got pretty messy even with Cameron still involved. If you just use T1, it sort of works, especially with the deleted stuff about the arm and chip winding up at Cyberdyne. That said, if they prevent Judgement Day in T2 and Reese from going back in time, John doesn't exist, leading to a massive paradox. I suppose you could theoretically say they it's a sort of branching timeline, but even then, you have to fudge things.

One thing that always bothered me about T3 is that they never even put in a line like "Dyson had a business partner" or "Cyberdyne was using another branch for research" or something. We get no explanation as to why a completely independent company is developing ANOTHER AI system called "Skynet."

Also, how does the time-travel work? Why not go farther back in after the events of T1? I suppose we could assume there is a limit on how far back you can go, and how difficult it is to active the time-travel tech in the future, making it something which has to be used sparingly. Also, how does future John reprogram the T-800? Is it easier to reprogram than another T-1000? Why only send on back? Is that all of the juice the machine has? T4 has the same screenwriters, so it does basically follow on from T3. It has no time-travel, but unfortunately, it has McG, which is even worse. Also, if the T-1000 is liquid metal, how it circumvent the time-travel rules? How does the T-X? Neither is organic. You can fudge it sight the T-800 being surrounded by living tissue, but even that is a little bit of a stretch. Why does the T-X go back for his lieutenants? Why not do that in the first place? Was her presence at CRS part of ANOTHER piece of the puzzle when she injected the nano-whatevers into the T-1s? Also, we are apparently to completely disregard SCC (which has always been said to be an alternate timeline anyway). Goddamn, I love time-travel. This is so stimulating. I want a Terminator/BTTF crossover.

Incidentally, how, growing up Catholic, did I miss the religious symbolism of John Connor?
Old 07-07-15, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And another thing. If your opening line is "Come with me if you want to live," you better be one hell of a badass to live up to that line and introduction. Emilia Clarke didn't really do that for me.
Old 07-07-15, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,204 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
One thing that always bothered me about T3 is that they never even put in a line like "Dyson had a business partner" or "Cyberdyne was using another branch for research" or something. We get no explanation as to why a completely independent company is developing ANOTHER AI system called "Skynet."

Also, how does the time-travel work? Why not go farther back in after the events of T1? I
Genisys pretty much covers all of those points.
Old 07-08-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 348 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/term...ine-franchise/

This article tries to explain the extremely convoluted timelines.
Looks like they're as confused as me, since they just say it happened at an unspecified future date. I guess we may find out in one of the Genisys sequels.
Old 07-08-15, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just saw it. When it's in the Future War.... it rocks. 1984? It rocks. When it's 2017.... it gets mediocre fast. The humor was too forced. Action was kind of not impressive for the most part. Specifically when it got too CGI heavy. I dug the Old Arnold vs. Young Arnold. Seeing everything lead up to T1 was nice cuz it's something that leads up to something we already know.

Courtney for sure can't sell great drama. I was fine w/ Clarke. She just doesn't have great material to use. Her youth and style could have been better developed aside from the forced material given to us. It just felt so forced in selling us 1984 or 2017 w/ some things. Apps and tech or Sarah's music.

It would have been better to see a more developed relationship between Pops and Sarah. That would have been much more interested than the BS take on Kyle and Sarah.

Arnold was Arnold. He was great as the Terminator. Except for the humor. Seriously... they need to know how to develop humor from him pushing it out like that. There's a taste to playing humor w/ something like the Terminator, T3 and T5 haven't done it right.

I honestly found the movie to be pointless though. much like T3... Skynet always wins somehow. Mid credits bit wasn't surprising. It's a Meh movie.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-08-15 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-08-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another FAQ that mentions this:

http://io9.com/terminator-genisys-th...faq-1716548070

How can John fight Sarah and Kyle? If he kills them, he won’t be born.

Well, Termi-Connor has a theory that he, Kyle and Sarah are basically special snowflakes who live outside the timestream now. Honestly, he may be right, because at this point Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese are in 2017 and not only has John not been born, he hasn’t even been conceived yet.

OH MY GOD.

Yes. Sarah and Kyle have jumped to the future, and by doing so they should have rendered John completely non-existent—or at least delayed his birth by over 30 years, which means he didn’t lead any revolution against Skynet and none of this nonsense should be happening.
Old 07-08-15, 06:37 PM
Banned

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IBsYAgY6MBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-08-15, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would love to use Kinja to comment on io9 articles, but the mess with my Google Plus account renders that impossible.
Old 07-08-15, 06:56 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Just saw it. When it's in the Future War.... it rocks. 1984? It rocks. When it's 2017.... it gets mediocre fast. The humor was too forced. Action was kind of impressive for the most part. Specifically when it got too CGI heavy. I dug the Old Arnold vs. Young Arnold. Seeing everything lead up to T1 was nice cuz it's something that leads up to something we already know.

Courtney for sure can't sell great drama. I was fine w/ Clarke. She just doesn't have great material to use. Her youth and style could have been better developed aside from the forced material given to us. It just felt so forced in selling us 1984 or 2017 w/ some things. Apps and tech or Sarah's music.

It would have been better to see a more developed relationship between Pops and Sarah. That would have been much more interested than the BS take on Kyle and Sarah.

Arnold was Arnold. He was great as the Terminator. Except for the humor. Seriously... they need to know how to develop humor from him pushing it out like that. There's a taste to playing humor w/ something like the Terminator T3 and T4 haven't done it right.

I honestly found the movie to be pointless though. much T3... Skynet always wins somehow. Mid credits bit wasn't surprising. It's a Meh movie.
That sums up as I feel about it to a T (so to speak).
Old 07-08-15, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
To be fair, it got pretty messy even with Cameron still involved. If you just use T1, it sort of works, especially with the deleted stuff about the arm and chip winding up at Cyberdyne. That said, if they prevent Judgement Day in T2 and Reese from going back in time, John doesn't exist, leading to a massive paradox. I suppose you could theoretically say they it's a sort of branching timeline, but even then, you have to fudge things.

Also, how does the time-travel work? Why not go farther back in after the events of T1? I suppose we could assume there is a limit on how far back you can go, and how difficult it is to active the time-travel tech in the future, making it something which has to be used sparingly. Also, how does future John reprogram the T-800? Is it easier to reprogram than another T-1000? Why only send on back? Is that all of the juice the machine has? T4 has the same screenwriters, so it does basically follow on from T3. It has no time-travel, but unfortunately, it has McG, which is even worse. Also, if the T-1000 is liquid metal, how it circumvent the time-travel rules? How does the T-X? Neither is organic. You can fudge it sight the T-800 being surrounded by living tissue, but even that is a little bit of a stretch. Why does the T-X go back for his lieutenants? Why not do that in the first place? Was her presence at CRS part of ANOTHER piece of the puzzle when she injected the nano-whatevers into the T-1s? Also, we are apparently to completely disregard SCC (which has always been said to be an alternate timeline anyway). Goddamn, I love time-travel. This is so stimulating. I want a Terminator/BTTF crossover.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bBBw9E2Q_aY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-08-15, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all fairness, the "Bad to the Bone" bit was played way before it happened in T2, and I think that was on the same level as all the humor bits w Arnold throughout the series, which I really don't mind... Talk to the hand & Bad Boys were in the same vein...

Last edited by hasslein; 07-08-15 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-08-15, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,204 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
In all fairness, the "Bad to the Bone" bit was played way before it happened in T2, and I think that was on the same level as all the humor bits w Arnold throughout the series, which I really don't mind... Talk to the hand & Bad Boys were in the same vein...

No, Bad Boys actually worked in context but talk to the hand was like 5-10 years way too late back in 2003.
Old 07-08-15, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other thing about Arnie in T3 and this movie: His actual character is completely forgettable. He's a random protector.

In T1, obviously he's the main threat. In T2 it's new to have him as the good guy, and he learns from John and is an actual character we care about.

T3...I can't even remember if he survives the movie or not, though I guess there was a scene where he tried to kill John...whatever. In this one, he's a protector to Sarah, but to us, we just get glimpses of that. Plus I don't really like him being called Pops.
Old 07-09-15, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
No, Bad Boys actually worked in context but talk to the hand was like 5-10 years way too late back in 2003.
I kind of took that as the joke. The Terminator is not hip.
Old 07-09-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
I kind of took that as the joke. The Terminator is not hip.
It's hip to be square.
Old 07-09-15, 03:34 PM
Banned

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JXJiSZhA5cg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.