Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Terminator Genisys?
Loved it, Bring on the next movie!
9.26%
Liked it
33.33%
It was alright
23.15%
It was watchable, but disappointing
21.30%
Hated it with every fiber of my being
3.70%
Not going to waste my hard earned money on it
1.85%
Not interested in seeing it in theaters, but will catch it on BD/DVD
5.56%
Will wait even longer until it hits HBO or On demand
0.93%
I refuse to support this movie in any form. It never should have been made.
0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Old 07-15-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PatD
I guess "The Terminator" in some ways is an arthouse film. So is "Halloween". And both feature non-speaking (for the most part) seemingly-unstoppable juggernaut killers going after a woman. Kyle Reese is Dr. Loomis and Sarah Conner is Laurie Strode.
They were hardly art-house movies. They were exploitation films which were elevated above that by the craftsmanship, professionalism, and wit of their filmmakers. I like The Terminator, but it's a pulp action-horror film with blood and boobs which is much better than the genre or the premise would suggest, not Cries and Whispers.
Old 07-15-15, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 957 Posts
Re: Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by inri222
The only thing he had going for him were the 2 Conan films. It was a perfect role for him because he barely spoke. I wonder how Arnold would do in a movie where spoke German?
He spoke German in Escape Plan.
Old 07-19-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 380 Likes on 291 Posts

Just saw this and I thought it was all right (I was entertained). Maybe a 6 out of 10 on my IMDB scale.

Between T3, T4, and T5 (don't really have to compare to the first two since those are classics):

T4 and T5 are a tie for me. I liked T4's acting better than T5, but I absolutely love time travel, so the plot for T5 was more interesting to me.

and T3 still isn't good.

I'm glad I never watched the second trailer for this movie, as I was never spoiled about the John Connor twist.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 07-19-15 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-29-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 386 Likes on 243 Posts

Caught this film this afternoon and enjoyed it. I don't believe I had seen the 3rd and definitely hadn't seen the 4th movie, so a little concerned I might be a little lost going in. Turns out maybe I didn't miss anything.
Old 07-29-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 356 Posts

I liked Genisys, but I don't need any more. This would be a great ending place for the series.
Old 07-29-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can't really get lost during a reboot, can you?
Old 07-29-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,749 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I liked Genisys, but I don't need any more. This would be a great ending place for the series.
I liked the movie too, but if another one never gets made, I wouldn't lose any sleep. They did leave things somewhat open for another movie, but I don't think this series needs a clear cut wrap up. Even the ending of T2 left things somewhat ambiguous.
Old 07-31-15, 11:36 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really dig this installment and didn't mind the fact they had to keep changing the rules and "technologies" to make this story works, but when
Spoiler:
Pops came back the last time after having held Connor in the time machine
I lost it. Come on, people. It's okay sometimes good guy don't have to come back alive for happily ever after.
Old 08-01-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I finally saw this movie and found it very disappointing. Yeah, this one movie is better than the other non-Cameron sequels, but that's not really saying a whole lot. I'm a big fan of the original film and T2 but think the original is by far the best one and the only one with a consistent timeline that's a self-contained causal loop.

On the timeline aspect, Terminator: Genisys has the most inconsistent and paradox laden plots of any of these movies. The mere fact that the 1984 Sarah and Kyle travelled forward in time to 2017 on a one way trip means that they never conceived John Connor in the first place, something that bugged me for the rest of the movie. And time traveling to 2017 to stop the new Skynet made little sense given that going a few years earlier to stop it would've been a far better plan.

And as a big fan of the original Terminator movie, I think Michael Biehn's performance as Kyle Reese in it is under-appreciated because he has to convincingly sell the urgency and importance of his mission to save Sarah Connor as well as make the love story with Sara believable, and he does a fantastic job in both aspects. The role should have a believably intense actor and Jai Courtney's bland performance as Kyle Reese in the new movie illustrates just how great Biehn was in the role originally.

BTW, here's an 8-minute-long video essay that someone made on just how great Michael Biehn was in the original Terminator movie:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5YIn-fCh6pU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by dhmac; 08-01-15 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-01-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
The mere fact that the 1984 Sarah and Kyle travelled forward in time to 2017 on a one way trip means that they never conceived John Connor in the first place, something that bugged me for the rest of the movie.
Pops explained the theory of multiple timeline branching. I think that's how it was justified.
Old 08-01-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Pops explained the theory of multiple timeline branching. I think that's how it was justified.
It's a terrible paradox that multiple timelines can't explain away given that it means in their own timeline, John Connor is never born. After destroying both the 1984 T800 and 1984 T1000, they could've stayed in their own timeline long enough for John Connor to be born and then, a few years later, time traveled forward to 2017 while leaving Pops to raise John.

Their time traveling forward without first making sure John Connor is conceived and born essentially achieved Skynet's sole reason for sending terminators into the past in the first place.
Old 08-01-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking up reviews of this movie on YouTube, I stumbled across this channel ("LittleJimmy835") that has a well-done set of videos (called "What Happened to the Terminator Series") covering each entry in the Terminator franchise (both the films and a TV series).

Part 6 of this video series is about "Terminator Genisys" but I'll put the previous 5 videos in a spoiler tag for anyone who wants to watch all of them. (Not done for spoilers, just for size)

What Happened to the Terminator Series (Parts 1 - 5):
Spoiler:

What Happened to the Terminator Series: Part 1 - "The Terminator"
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B7mJB4_ZD8I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What Happened to the Terminator Series Part 2 - "Terminator 2: Judgment Day"
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PyasuZtgu38" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What Happened to the Terminator Series Part 3 - "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines"
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JF4dsKeVqNY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What Happened to the Terminator Series Part 4 - "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" (TV series)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3KMptamitPM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What Happened to the Terminator Series Part 5 - "Terminator Salvation"
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Bx8l-Gvvbhc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What Happened to the Terminator Series Part 6 - "Terminator Genisys"
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tV8sXQlnumY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-03-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 357 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
It's a terrible paradox that multiple timelines can't explain away given that it means in their own timeline, John Connor is never born.
Does the term "never" even apply in the context of time travel? As long as they have the ability to travel back in time to 1984 and conceive John, it's not an issue. This is where time travel becomes such a cluster.
Old 08-03-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 825 Likes on 389 Posts

I thought it was pretty strange that Sarah is so hung up on "If I let Kyle get close to me, he's going to die", even though everything is different and the Terminator that he originally died fighting is already dead. Somehow the act of impregnating her and him dying shortly afterwards are inextricably linked, when everything else is different?
Old 08-12-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I need the name of WhySoBlu's weed dealer because I have got to smoke whatever he's toking to think this was superior to JW in any way.

This movie was BAD.

Opening war scenes were decent, but then we get to the point where Reese volunteers to go back in time. Courtney offers to save Sarah with all the conviction of an office worker offering to grab Chipotle for his co-workers because it means he'll get out of his cubicle for an hour or two.

Clarke was such a poor choice as Sarah. She embodied none of the qualities that character should possess, and she imbued her performance with even less.

The bickering between Sarah and Kyle was atrocious.

Genisys is... an OS? Christ...

John's turn to the machine side would have been the film's one trump card, one which they promptly spoiled and drove into the ground via horrendous marketing.

Reese gets HIT BY A CAR driving nearly full speed and he just shakes it off like a mosquito bit him.

John's facial scars are getting more and more ridiculous to the point where he's going to resemble that woman who had her face ripped off by a chimp in CT a few years back in the next movie.

Jason Clarke is a mediocre actor. So is Courtney. Bad choice putting both in the same film.

Why is Matt Smith even here? His character is absurd and flat-out stupid. Skynet's embodiment? GTFO.

The film's one shining spot? Arnold. This is his role and he knows how to do it well. Enjoyed seeing more of a return to form for him, plus I dug the idea of him getting an upgrade at the end. Wonder if we'll ever see it in action?

Is Paramount really doing two more of these? Where would a sequel even go? This was easily worse than 3, and about on par with 4. I don't know. What I DO know is this franchise needs to be... wait for it... terminated.

Seriously, though, I need the name of that weed dealer.
Old 08-15-15, 07:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really really enjoyed this film! i thought it was much better than the christian bale bit and a film worthy of being in the franchise. i can't wait to buy this film on dvd! i highly recommend this film. it is one of the few films i can watch over and over again and that's saying a lot for me.
Old 08-15-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts

"Beach, California"...
Old 08-21-15, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this was decent but one thing that bothered me was that I don't think they really lived up to the intensity that Biehn and Cameron brought to the original film. I'm watching this kid about to get in the time machine and I see none of the veteran guerilla fighter/daamaged holocaust survivor that arrived in 1984 from the first film. Of course this Reese is thrown for a loop upon arrival, but I never felt like it was even the same character.
Old 08-21-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
I'm watching this kid about to get in the time machine and I see none of the veteran guerilla fighter/daamaged holocaust survivor that arrived in 1984 from the first film. Of course this Reese is thrown for a loop upon arrival, but I never felt like it was even the same character.
Looks good for a guy whose life is a living hell and has been surviving on a steady diet of rats. The low budget grittiness has been replaced by the hundred million dollar polished look.
Old 08-21-15, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That bugged me with the trailers shown. This Reese lacks any depth to the persona. Biehn was fit but scrappy. He could kick ads but you never knew for how long. Take a hit and get up but not without it hurting.

I mentioned this once but Biehn is wildly underrated for his work on T1.
Old 08-21-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T1 Reese had a ruthless proficiency, this Reese didn't have that at all. When he first arrived I recall wondering to myself if they would have him steal the homeless man's pants. I knew they kind of had to in order to maintain continuity, but it didn't seem to fit the character of this film. Part of it is that this time the story is not only told from Reese's POV but he is the audience surrogate so they made him kind of clueless and bland.
Old 08-21-15, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. We already know how Reese is by this point. So like... there's no wonder or question as to his mind works. T1 Reese is an unknown and we aren't given a chance to connect w/ him till he gets Sarah. This Reese is generic white guy hero. He bitches, gets hurt, confused, and wants to save the day. T1 Reese has a mystery to him even though we know he wants to get to Sarah Connor to for some reason. We just don't know what his endgame is immediately.

T1 is an amazing film on all fronts.
Old 08-23-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So Genysis made almost 27 million on its opening day in China. Bring on the sequels!
Old 08-23-15, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,052 Likes on 833 Posts

Wow, that's a lot. I may have overestimated how big piracy is in China.
Old 08-30-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Over 400 million WORLDWIDE now.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...ion-worldwide/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.