Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Terminator Genisys?
Loved it, Bring on the next movie!
9.26%
Liked it
33.33%
It was alright
23.15%
It was watchable, but disappointing
21.30%
Hated it with every fiber of my being
3.70%
Not going to waste my hard earned money on it
1.85%
Not interested in seeing it in theaters, but will catch it on BD/DVD
5.56%
Will wait even longer until it hits HBO or On demand
0.93%
I refuse to support this movie in any form. It never should have been made.
0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Old 07-05-15, 04:33 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts
Re: Terminator: Genisys (2015) -- S: Schwarzenegger -- The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by stingermck
Well the sequels are set for 2017 and 2018 so that takes care of that
Terminator Genisys (2015)
Terminator Exodys (2017)
Terminator Leviticys (2018)

... I had to.
Old 07-05-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
The same person who put the egg in the Sulaco.
The Alien Queen sent "Pops" back in time? Now, *that* would be a film I'd go see.
Old 07-05-15, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I think that Megan and David Ellison have a good grip on what's good and what's not. If they're going to make another movie, three years is enough time. If the rights shift, there's no reason for the franchise to end in Cameron's hands.

They just have to figure out something innovative. That's what the Terminator movies stand for. They opened up the whole multi-timeline time-travel-as-warefare bit. They could create a really frenetic experience from that. They kept that relatively disciplined in Genisys.
I've never really followed the Terminator rights and how do they work out on this property. Doesn't seem like there's as dedicated or strict timeframe as other properties. Anyone know how it works for this?

I've yet to see T5. Will see it at some point. But at the same time.... the franchise hasn't really done anything with itself since T2. T1 and T2. JUST as films, are films that needed to be created. They pushed the medium, among others, into new realms of imagination and technology. They had to exist to put us where we are now, take that for how you may.

The TV show didn't do anything. T3 and T4, while enjoyable to some... could not have existed and we'd be in almost the same vortex of the property to where we are now. The Terminator franchise so far has yet a reason to exist. It hasn't had any growth of imagination at all. It hasn't pushed the industry in any way. What's the point to keep making anything Terminator? Besides the money the franchise is still remembered as being this wonderfully impactful game changer... it doesn't seem it is like that anymore. James Cameron was the only one to care in doing any of that. Give it to a production team that will push the property to new boundaries. A team that hopefully give you a critical and financial edge. Those two mean so much when they're together. They need to value the property and make it groundbreaking again. It hasn't been that since T2. That's sad as fuck. And a grand testament to James Cameron. The more they fail the more it shows how fucking great Cameron was compared to anyone else.

I love Arnold. He's been on a nice rise lately. Good for him. I actually care to see more of him in non action roles since Maggie was a nice change and pushed him as an actor.
Old 07-05-15, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Even thought the entire timeline is scrambled to death I liked this one more then the last one. Not sure where they will go if they make more. They need something else other then just stopping Skynet as that is going or has gotten a bit old by now.
Old 07-05-15, 05:43 PM
Banned

I was pretty game to see the future war and seeing John send Reese into the past, him sending a T-800 to stop the T-1000, etc. I was kind of hoping we would get that from T4 onward but... it didn't even start right. Good action film not a good a Terminator film.
Old 07-05-15, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
The TV show didn't do anything.
The show had Shirley Manson as a T-1000 disguised as a men's bathroom urinal. The Sarah Connor Chronicles was flawed but awesome and ended with a truly mindfuck cliffhanger. It deserved a legitimate ending.
Old 07-05-15, 07:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
Not really worth the extra money. Wasn't bad, but didn't add anything.
actually if this wasn't 3D it would have been a complete waste of all my 12 dollars.
Old 07-05-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the story line, but Kyle Reese in the previous films was never a meat head, spewing banal quips that weren't engaging, or funny, and the constant bad melodrama between him and a too young Sarah Connor, really hindered me from enjoying the film. I hated everything about Kyle Reese, the actor, the performance, his dialogue... When Arnold was on screen it was great... I'll never revisit it, I'd say it is worse than 3 & 4...

Last edited by hasslein; 07-05-15 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-05-15, 09:37 PM

Could anyone imagine Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney replacing Michael Beihn and Linda Hamilton in a shot-for-shot remake of T1?
Old 07-05-15, 09:42 PM
Banned

Well T1 Hamilton possibly. Not Courtney though... that man is a very poor actor compared to Biehn. A lot of things get overlooked in that one but Biehn never gets enough love. He's on all cylinders. You feel his stress, his pressure, and his fear so goddamn well. All of that damn near oozes into paranoia but he keeps it in check. Reese wasn't some wildly fit guy. He was scrappy but could take a hit but not w/o being in pain about it. He moved on but you never knew for how long he had it in him.
Old 07-05-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of things get overlooked in that one but Biehn never gets enough love. He's on all cylinders. You feel his stress, his pressure, and his fear so goddamn well. All of that damn near oozes into paranoia but he keeps it in check. Reese wasn't some wildly fit guy. He was scrappy but could take a hit but not w/o being in pain about it. He moved on but you never knew for how long he had it in him.
Old 07-05-15, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's easy to forget now that the Terminator has lapsed into "talk to the hand" self-parody just how scary and nightmarish the original film was. And given how bloated Cameron films have become, it's easy to forget how lean and raw the first movie is. It really feels very different than the rest of his films, more stripped down.
Old 07-05-15, 11:27 PM

Well T1 Hamilton possibly. Not Courtney though... that man is a very poor actor compared to Biehn. A lot of things get overlooked in that one but Biehn never gets enough love. He's on all cylinders. You feel his stress, his pressure, and his fear so goddamn well. All of that damn near oozes into paranoia but he keeps it in check. Reese wasn't some wildly fit guy. He was scrappy but could take a hit but not w/o being in pain about it. He moved on but you never knew for how long he had it in him.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sts5arvStcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-05-15, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
It's easy to forget now that the Terminator has lapsed into "talk to the hand" self-parody just how scary and nightmarish the original film was. And given how bloated Cameron films have become, it's easy to forget how lean and raw the first movie is. It really feels very different than the rest of his films, more stripped down.
Well, it's a lower budgeted film and it was his first effort.
Old 07-06-15, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 475 Likes on 349 Posts

I liked it. The whole family did. The action is very good and the plot is fairly clever. If you like the first two Terminator movies then you'd probably like this one. It isn't as good as either of them, but it's not all that far off, either.
Old 07-06-15, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The TV show didn't do anything.
Completely disagree. It did have some flaws but overall it was highly imaginative and really explored the Terminator mythology much better than any of the post-T2 films.

In T:TSCC
Spoiler:

-we get a reprogrammed Terminator-Cameron-who isn't the friendly protector that has appeared in everything after T1. She's a machine that will never be anything like Uncle Bob or any of his variants. She's a much more fascinating character than the typical robot-with-a-heart. She's closer to Ava than Uncle Bob in that she always seems to have ulterior motives.

-We actually get to see the effects it has on the resistance of John Connor relying on reprogrammed Skynet Terminators to be among their ranks. Today is the Day Part 1 Ep

-Future John Connor was made to be more intriguing and he wasn't even shown on screen.

-Did something more with the T-1000 models. "The answer is no."

-Introduction of human traitors aka "greys".

-Exploring alternate timelines in a creative way, which was first mentioned in T1 ("One possible future, from your point of you. I don't know tech stuff") Complications ep

I hated the last episode and they messed up on some of the rules established in the first film, but overall it was an excellent continuation of James Cameron's first two films.

Old 07-06-15, 06:28 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

That's why the Original Terminator will always be my favorite because of the dark and gritty tone. To think that Arnold takes out a whole police station, as I wonder if anyone would dare do that today after the Baltimore and Ferguson incidents. It was on BBC America last night and even though I have seen it hundreds of times, the movie still draws me in right from the start. The Sequel is a very good sequel, but has lulls in it that the original doesn't have. And Furlong still annoys me.
Old 07-06-15, 07:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie
Completely disagree. It did have some flaws but overall it was highly imaginative and really explored the Terminator mythology much better than any of the post-T2 films.

In T:TSCC
Spoiler:

-we get a reprogrammed Terminator-Cameron-who isn't the friendly protector that has appeared in everything after T1. She's a machine that will never be anything like Uncle Bob or any of his variants. She's a much more fascinating character than the typical robot-with-a-heart. She's closer to Ava than Uncle Bob in that she always seems to have ulterior motives.

-We actually get to see the effects it has on the resistance of John Connor relying on reprogrammed Skynet Terminators to be among their ranks. Today is the Day Part 1 Ep

-Future John Connor was made to be more intriguing and he wasn't even shown on screen.

-Did something more with the T-1000 models. "The answer is no."

-Introduction of human traitors aka "greys".

-Exploring alternate timelines in a creative way, which was first mentioned in T1 ("One possible future, from your point of you. I don't know tech stuff") Complications ep

I hated the last episode and they messed up on some of the rules established in the first film, but overall it was an excellent continuation of James Cameron's first two films.

Right but did it actually do anything that makes its existence worth value? Nothing after Cameron was on it has mattered. If the show or the sequels after didn't exist... would it change anything? No. We'd still be where we are... just w/o Terminator.
Old 07-06-15, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Not Courtney though... that man is a very poor actor compared to Biehn. A lot of things get overlooked in that one but Biehn never gets enough love. He's on all cylinders. You feel his stress, his pressure, and his fear so goddamn well. All of that damn near oozes into paranoia but he keeps it in check. Reese wasn't some wildly fit guy. He was scrappy but could take a hit but not w/o being in pain about it. He moved on but you never knew for how long he had it in him.
I didn't know that Kyle Reese between fighting the machines and eating rats spent time at the gym and doing PED's. Jai Courtney's head looks bigger than Barry Bonds'.

Well the first film is more like a sci-fi horror noir with a looming sense of dread where you are being chased by what seems to be an indestructible force that kills everything in its path and can't be bargained with. The second one has kind of the same feel except that it has more action and some humor but you still can't shake off that sense of dread. Both of them have that being chased by a monster nightmare quality that the others don't (haven't seen 5 yet).

Last edited by inri222; 07-06-15 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-06-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I found this blurb about how the financing worked for this sequel:

Since Paramount is only paying 1/3 of the cost, looks like the key to another sequel will lay in the hands of the Ellisons since they paid 66% of it's costs. I saw Megan Ellison actually bought the rights for $20M.

The rights to the series go back to James Cameron in 2019, so they may only have time to make 1 more movie if they decide to do it.

Cameron stupidly sold the rights off for $1 so that he could direct the 1st movie.

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm.../12192301.html

he said in 2009 that he's done with the series.
Honestly, that was a pretty good investment by Cameron as much as it might pain him and us in hindsight, if one assumes he would've had to have waited years and years to get his crack at directing something worthwhile. The first Terminator probably wouldn't have worked as well or at all without his direction, so it's not like he would've become a hot property just by writing the screenplay.

It reminds me of how Stallone passed on a large fee to sell the script to "Rocky" and instead took a low salary to star in it.

Add me to the group that really enjoyed the Sarah Connor Chronicles. Wish we could've gotten a third season at least.
Old 07-06-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Honestly, that was a pretty good investment by Cameron as much as it might pain him and us in hindsight, if one assumes he would've had to have waited years and years to get his crack at directing something worthwhile. The first Terminator probably wouldn't have worked as well or at all without his direction, so it's not like he would've become a hot property just by writing the screenplay.

It reminds me of how Stallone passed on a large fee to sell the script to "Rocky" and instead took a low salary to star in it.

Add me to the group that really enjoyed the Sarah Connor Chronicles. Wish we could've gotten a third season at least.
Yeah, Cameron and Stallone did alright for themselves.
Old 07-06-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I hate you guys so much.
I guess I don't see what the big deal is using the spoiler tags some of us like to read others opinions and not have the movie ruined right after it is released.
Old 07-06-15, 03:24 PM

It's easy to forget now that the Terminator has lapsed into "talk to the hand" self-parody just how scary and nightmarish the original film was.
Some blame T2 for this. But, I thought the humor worked in context of the drama. T3 on the other hand, the humor is totally misplaced and dumb. I don't recall any real humor in T4. T5? Well...that COPS scene was beyond stupid and the smiling bits were lifted from a deleted scene from T2. In fact my expectations were so low for T5 that the humor didn't bother me like it did in T3.

So, if you want completely humor-free Terminator films watch T1 or T4.

Last edited by PatD; 07-06-15 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-06-15, 03:35 PM
Banned

T2 worked on all cylinders. T3 isn't worth existing...nor is any other Terminator property after T2.
Old 07-06-15, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

T2 worked on all cylinders. T3 isn't worth existing...nor is any other Terminator property after T2.
Yeah, T2 was just a genius idea in general. So many other sequels would have just brought Arnie back as the villain. Making him the good guy was a brilliant idea. Sadly, you can only do that once and really make it fun.

The biggest problem with the Terminator universe is that it all revolves around a handful of events and characters...there's really no way to expand it...you just have to keep providing new twists on the timeline.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.