Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,079 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Mary Jane has to be a redhead. Period. If she's a little more ethnic but can pull of the look well then it's no big deal. She just needs to be believable as a redhead named Watson...
...or what? MJ's hair color determines the quality of her performance and of the script?

I hope she starts the movie with red hair and then pulls it off because it's a wig within the first 5 minutes .
Old 08-19-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Originally Posted by Obey The D
I thought skinny girls weren't your thing.
Clearly you don't know me...
Old 08-19-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 129 Posts

Even a chubby chaser can enjoy women across all size spectrum.
Old 08-19-16, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 769 Likes on 556 Posts

If it's the case of not following the comics because it's supposedly a small percentage of viewers that would care, then why bother with classic villains? Why not just make up some new villains and keep the IP on them. Who needs Rhino, Scorpion, Shocker when they could come up with an awesome compelling villain? Why bother with MJ or Gwen? Just make up some random Hotty McHotness?
Old 08-19-16, 12:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
No objection to Zendaya based on race since it doesn't appear to be stunt casting. She is a talented actress who headlines a show on Disney, has a music career, and is currently an "it" girl. Not sure she has the acting chops though. My youngest daughter watches her show on Disney so I've seen bits of her acting. I'd say she's on the upper end of "Disney comedic actors" ... I hope she can pull this off.[/img]
I think she'll do very well. She has the cuteness and seems to be pretty intelligent in her interviews and such. My daughter watches her show on Disney and was excited when I showed that she'll be in the Spider-Man movie. Which in this case, means we'll probably see her in the Avengers movies in some small capacity. As for the redhead aspect, I'm guessing she'll do just fine with that.

Old 08-19-16, 12:43 PM

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,191 Posts

Yet this is how she will look:

http://www.justjared.com/2016/06/20/...st-set-photos/
Old 08-19-16, 12:50 PM
Banned by request

At least for that scene. Who knows, this may be Marvel and Feige's "reimagining" to purge the last 2 shit movies we got.
Old 08-19-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still remember the reaction when people here thought Shailene Woodley wasn't attractive enough to play MJ.
Old 08-19-16, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,599 Posts

I don't know how the casting went with those movies, but Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx I can see just blowing away the auditions and getting the part, regardless of color. This seems like they wanted to promote an actress or had the ethnicity change in mind just because. I guess we've seen it on Flash and Supergirl, so we shouldn't be all that surprised.

Now to see how Marvel Comics is going to shoehorn this MJ into their comics. I don't think they did it with Electro but this is a movie they'll actually be motivated to promote.
Old 08-19-16, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,380 Likes on 941 Posts

Leaked casting sheet confirms some one rumored character: http://www.darkhorizons.com/leaked-s...veals-shocker/
Following yesterday’s apparent reveal of the true nature of Zendaya’s character in the currently filming “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” what looks like a leaked casting list has gone online that finally confirms character names of some of the supporting actors in the film – including the reveal of a third villain.

The call sheet first popped up on Atlanta Filming and was later taken down, but has survived online nonetheless. Said sheet suggests that Bokeem Woodbine will play supervillain Herman Schultz/The Shocker, Angourie Rice is playing Betty Brandt and Laura Harrier as Liz Allan.

There’s also some school teacher reveals including Selenis Leyva as Ms. Warren, Martin Starr as Mr. Harrington, Hannibal Buress as Coach Wilson, and Tunde Adebimpe as Mr. Cobwell. Then there’s Kenneth Choi, who played Howling Commando Jim Morita in “Captain America: The First Avenger” and here is listed as Principal Morita – likely the grandson of his First Avenger character.

The Jon Watts-helmed “Spider-Man: Homecoming” is currently slated for a July 7th 2017 release.
Old 08-19-16, 07:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 977 Likes on 814 Posts

I guess I don't know the Spidey universe that well. Don't know any of these characters...
Old 08-19-16, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,851 Likes on 1,955 Posts

The only thing I know about Zendaya is that she smells like patchouli and weed.
Old 08-19-16, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 805 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I guess I don't know the Spidey universe that well. Don't know any of these characters...
Betty Brandt and Liz Allen are mainstays of the Spidey mythos. Elizabeth Banks played Betty Brandt in the Rami Trilogy. Shocker is a C-List villain, and everybody else listed above are fringe characters at best, if any of them are real comics characters to begin with.
Old 08-19-16, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The only thing I know about Zendaya is that she smells like patchouli and weed.
I've seen her in person and didn't notice any smell. I took my kids to see her at an autograph signing she was doing at a car show about 5 years ago.
Old 08-20-16, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 489 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
...or what? MJ's hair color determines the quality of her performance and of the script?
Or she's not Mary Jane Watson. 50 years of comic, TV, and movie history say so.
Old 08-20-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I think of MJ, I think of RED HEAD. And yes, that is a part of her character...who she is.
-And yes, I am getting sick of characters being changed for no reason but to prove they can change them

It would be like Lois Lane being a bleach blond, just does not work.
Old 08-20-16, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
When I think of MJ, I think of RED HEAD. And yes, that is a part of her character...who she is.
Exactly. In the mind's eye, anyone who is a big Spider-Man fan has an image of RED HAIR when they think of Mary Jane.

-And yes, I am getting sick of characters being changed for no reason but to prove they can change them

Yeah, producers' egos have been getting out of control lately - even moreso than before (and producers' egos have always been huge).

"I can recreate this and make it better than the source material!"

Uh-huh. Riiiiiiiiiiight.
Old 08-20-16, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 205 Posts

Or her being a red head? I used to think that a defining characteristic of Lana Lang was red hair but Smallville changed that idea.
Old 08-20-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,179 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't know how the casting went with those movies, but Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx I can see just blowing away the auditions and getting the part, regardless of color. This seems like they wanted to promote an actress or had the ethnicity change in mind just because. I guess we've seen it on Flash and Supergirl, so we shouldn't be all that surprised.
I think the majority of the time most changes to ethnicity or gender are done just because to be honest. Filmmakers know that fans have preconceived notions of how characters look but that gets thrown out the window because they want to diversify and appeal to a larger audience. I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing and the changes don't normally bother me. It's just how it is now days but in most cases I highly doubt it's because they were just going for the best actor or actress. A lot of it comes off as stunt casting because they know during the times most comics and characters were originally conceived that diversity wasn't much of a thing and now they feel the need to adapt to the times.
Old 08-20-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think the majority of the time most changes to ethnicity or gender are done just because to be honest. Filmmakers know that fans have preconceived notions of how characters look but that gets thrown out the window because they want to diversify and appeal to a larger audience. I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing and the changes don't normally bother me. It's just how it is now days but in most cases I highly doubt it's because they were just going for the best actor or actress. A lot of it comes off as stunt casting because they know during the times most comics and characters were originally conceived that diversity wasn't much of a thing and now they feel the need to adapt to the times.
And it's easier (lazier) to just change existing characters than come up with new ones.
Old 08-20-16, 02:55 PM

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,191 Posts

James Gunn
Yesterday at 2:40pm ·

People get upset when something they consider intrinsic to a comic book character changes when adapted for a film. I get this. There are movies I dislike because I think there's a basic misunderstanding of the story or the character when the comic is transferred to film (I still hate how in the first Batman movie the Joker was revealed as the murderer of Bruce Wayne's parents, for instance.)

That said, I do not believe a character is the color of his or her skin. When Michael B Jordan was cast as Johnny Storm I didn't understand the uproar. The primary characteristic of Johnny was not, to me, that he was white, or that he had blonde hair, but that he was a fiery, funny, big-mouthed braggart of a hero. I was happy that he was going to be played by one of the finest and most charming young actors out there.

Yesterday, a rumor broke out that the character of Mary Jane was being played by a young black woman, Zendaya, and all hell broke out on the Internet (again). I tweeted that if people find themselves complaining about Mary Jane's ethnicity they have lives that are too good. (For those of you who think this means I'm confirming that Zendaya IS playing MJ, realize that although I've read the Spidey script, and I've met the actress in question, I have no idea what her role is. There's a good chance someone told me at one time or another, but, if so, I can't remember. I'm going to find out when I go into Marvel this afternoon, but I feel free to speak until that time because it's about the concept about a black woman playing Mary Jane, not the actuality or hypothesis of it.)

I got a thousand or so responses to my tweet. Most of them were positive. Some folks disagreed - they thought the character should look like what she looks like in the comics - but were thoughtful. And a handful were flat out racist.

I can't respond to the racists - I'm not ever going to change their minds. But for the thoughtful majority of you out there:

For me, if a character's primary attribute - the thing that makes them iconic - is the color of their skin, or their hair color, frankly, that character is shallow and sucks. For me, what makes MJ MJ is her alpha female playfulness, and if the actress captures that, then she'll work. And, for the record, I think Zendaya even matches what I think of as MJ's primary physical characteristics - she's a tall, thin model - much more so than actresses have in the past.

Whatever the case, if we're going to continue to make movies based on the almost all white heroes and supporting characters from the comics of the last century, we're going to have to get used to them being more reflective of our diverse present world. Perhaps we can be open to the idea that, although someone may not initially match how we personally conceive a character, we can be - and often are - happily surprised.
Old 08-20-16, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lois Lane has never had her hair being a defining feature. For sure it was how stupid fuck she used to be in not knowing that Clark and Supes was the same guy... along w/ being that whipper snapper of a reporter that felt the need to break the truth of a story.

Why would hair ever be a defining feature... for Lois Fucking Lane? That's like... BS designs.. and even then.. her hair hasn't always been brown. It's also been black. I think it was black early on in the comics too.

Saying that... MJ aside from whatever variation of party gal you go with... she pretty much has to be a redhead. She doesn't have much iconic nature to her... and her hair is kind of a big deal. At the end of it... I'd hope for a great MJ. Cuz Raimi made her be a stupid fucking bitch.

Some characters are defined by personality and visual. Some just in character. Some just in visual. MJ has always had it in visual for the most part. I love the character but never gave a damn about her out of Parker's college days and then in some runs. JMS made a great adult MJ working w/ Parker on their relation struggles as actual adults.
Old 08-20-16, 04:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 977 Likes on 814 Posts

I could give a shit what color MJ turns out to be and who plays her. As long as she shows tits and ass it's all good.
Old 08-20-16, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 08-20-16, 04:30 PM
Banned by request

Fucking tats.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.