Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Predator (2018 -- w/d: Shane Black)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Predator (2018 -- w/d: Shane Black)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Predator reboot (w/d: Shane Black)

Dekker AND Black back together again? color me intrigued.
Old 06-25-14, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

This would be a great opportunity to bring it back to the original Predator design:

Old 06-25-14, 10:05 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It'd be funny JCVD was in this.
Old 06-25-14, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
Dekker AND Black back together again? color me intrigued.
I clearly just skimmed the article and missed the "Decker" part. Now I'm REALLY interested. Very glad to see him being thrown a big bone.
Old 06-25-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So we've forgiven Decker for Robocop 3 then ?
Old 06-25-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
So we've forgiven Decker for Robocop 3 then ?
Yes, Night of the Creeps and The Monster Squad were enough to forgive him for Robocop 3.
Old 06-25-14, 07:39 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Exclusive: Shane Black Says His PREDATOR Film Is a Sequel, Not a Reboot

Last night, news broke that 20th Century Fox was reviving its Predator franchise with Shane Black attached to direct and write the treatment, while Fred Dekker (The Monster Squad) would handle scripting duties. While it didn’t come as a surprise that Fox wanted to put together another entry in one of its staple film series, it was excellent to hear that Black, who wrote and directed Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and Iron Man 3, would be steering the ship. A veteran screenwriter, Black has developed a signature tone and style that is a welcome reprieve from generic studio actioners, and he proved himself to be a strong director with the incredible Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang then showed he could handle a massive budget on Iron Man 3.

While Black’s Predator film was initially reported as being a reboot, we recently got in touch with the filmmaker who clarified that he and Dekker are actually envisioning an “inventive sequel” with this iteration, which is to say it’s really not a reboot at all.

While the initial report said that Black’s new Predator film would be a reboot, Black tells us that he and Dekker see the project as definitely not a reboot, “As far as Fred and I are concerned anyway,” Black said, adding “Why start over, when you’ve all this rich mythology yet to mine?” Black said he doesn’t like reboots generally, but can “really get behind inventive sequels”, noting that he likes “the idea of expanding and exploring the existing Predator mythology, rather than hitting the restart button.” He went on to say that Dekker, who’s writing the screenplay, is “perfect” for the project, adding the two had a blast writing the screenplay for The Monster Squad together. Indeed, the result of their previous collaboration makes the prospect of the new Predator film even more enticing.

More often than not, a reboot is a lazy way of avoiding the hard work of coming up with a new idea, and instead choosing to use the blueprint of what came before. What Black and Dekker have planned for Predator, however, sounds like something fresh yet in step with the spirit of the original films, and that’s worth getting excited about. Just exactly what portions of the Predator mythology will be mined for this new film are under wraps for now, but I’m eager to see what surprises Black and Dekker have up their sleeves.
Read more at http://collider.com/predator-reboot-...joAC1w0GoB0.99
Old 06-25-14, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That Black and Dekker joke is almost too good to pass up .
Old 06-25-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is shaping up to now be really …. cool. Also Hawkins was the best character aside from Arnie/Pred! Have it take place in the desert and have Tuco Jr. take him out or something! Yes!
Old 06-25-14, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Sounds like the door's open for Dutch to return! One of my fav parts of Predators was the references to the first movie.. makes sense to just keep it part of the cannon if the new one is in the present day.
Old 06-25-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Frankly, I see no need to reboot the Predator franchise. It consists of three completely self-contained movies if we ignore the AvP films.

Actually, I'll even go out on a limb and say it's the most consistent of the big four 80s franchises... Alien, Predator, Terminator, and Robocop... while none of the Predator films may have been as good as Alien, Terminator, or Robocop, it also didn't drop any huge turds like Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, Terminator 3, or Robocop 3.

Rodriguez's Predators might not have been a great film, but it wasn't awful and didn't shit all over the franchise.
Old 06-25-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They're sort of tangentially connected, but if you only watched one of any of them, it isn't like the plot would be difficult to figure out. It's sort of like Jurassic Park- it's so high-concept that there isn't much to it: aliens with laser guns shoot musclebound humans with machine guns. 2 sort of vaguely shook things up by moving the locale, but most of the changes you make a basically cosmetic.
Old 06-25-14, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I am much happier now. I will be completely satisfied once they guarantee Schwarzenegger will be nowhere near this.
Old 06-25-14, 11:29 PM
Banned

Nice.
Old 07-02-14, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm all for more Predator movies, especially if there aren't any real ties to the previous three. The predator can go anywhere, could have been around for any point in history (not counting what was passed off in AvP), so I don't see any point in having characters from the other movies in this one. Having it partially set at some point in the past, like the WWII or Vietnam War mentioned above, could make a really cool bit.
Old 07-02-14, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed. Like I said, it's a simple high-concept premise, so basically the only major thing to do is change up the setting, for which there are all kinds of possibilities.
Old 07-02-14, 08:37 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

They should go with a genre change...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qlicWUDf5MM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-02-14, 09:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Shane Black have us the best of the Iron Man movies, so I'm greatly looking forward to this, especially after the underrated Predators.

And no, none of what I said was a joke or a troll, but I look forward to some people's heads exploding anyway.
Old 07-02-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Shane Black have us the best of the Iron Man movies, so I'm greatly looking forward to this, especially after the underrated Predators.

And no, none of what I said was a joke or a troll, but I look forward to some people's heads exploding anyway.
I agree with all of this, but yeah, any moment people will be coming along to tell you how awful Iron Man 3 was.
Old 07-02-14, 10:22 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I liked all the Iron Man movies. IM3 is my 2nd favorite.
Old 07-02-14, 10:58 AM
Banned

I demand Christmas being involved somehow into this.

Christmas in WW1 with a Predator?
Old 07-02-14, 11:21 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet

Predators is underrated? Are you kidding? Most people despise it, but yeah, I think it's a really solid flick as well.
Old 07-02-14, 04:16 PM
Banned

I like Predators but it is a sequel that's pretty much aping itself as a near remake of the original in a lot of ways. Still would love a sequel to that one.
Old 07-02-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Speaking of Predator scenarios there these cats on Kickstarter who are trying to fund a short film predator vs Knights of the Templar.

Neat concept.
Old 07-02-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I demand Christmas being involved somehow into this.

Christmas in WW1 with a Predator?
It could be like A Midnight Clear, and the "clear" part could be the cloaked Preadtor!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.