DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/620224-rogue-one-star-wars-story-12-16-16-d-edwards-s-jones-luna-mendelsohn-yen.html)

Solid Snake 08-15-15 04:23 PM

Re: Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One (12/16/16, D: Gareth Edwards) S: Felicity Jones

Donnie Yen in a SW film. Never thought I'd ever see that.

TGM 08-15-15 04:24 PM

Re: Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One (12/16/16, D: Gareth Edwards) S: Felicity Jones

this is going to be pretty fucking awesome.

Solid Snake 08-15-15 04:25 PM

Shit. Either I didn't know or I forgot... but Diego Luna is in this too? Luna and Yen. Hell of a diverse cast in this one.

joe_b 08-15-15 04:29 PM

Yup. Luna was officially confirmed today as well.

Josh-da-man 08-15-15 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 12562775)

- The official title is Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Guess the studio thought the general public was too stupid to understand the word "anthology".

They should just call it Star Wars: Rogue One. Give the main saga "Episode" titles to distinguish them from the anthology films. I don't mind that they're dropping "Anthology" from the official title; it's sort of awkward.

E Unit 08-15-15 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12562778)

Good lord is that awesome seeing him in this.

DaveyJoe 08-15-15 04:34 PM

Can't wait for the complaints of the film being terrible because Yen gets killed in the first act and you don't see enough of the X-Wing.

Solid Snake 08-15-15 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 12562787)
Yup. Luna was officially confirmed today as well.

Ah. Well...it's pretty awesome that he's in this.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12562788)
They should just call it Star Wars: Rogue One. Give the main saga "Episode" titles to distinguish them from the anthology films. I don't mind that they're dropping "Anthology" from the official title; it's sort of awkward.

It'd be better like that. Star Wars: Rogue One, reminds anyone that it's a SW film. And obviously the Episodes set themselves apart in the being the main story of the franchise.

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12562789)
Good lord is that awesome seeing him in this.

It is. And hopefully they allow him to act instead of being badass Asian guy.

E Unit 08-15-15 05:28 PM

Hopefully not another Blade II type role. Too much damn talent not being used in western movies.

Solid Snake 08-15-15 05:35 PM

Yen seriously needs to get some Western love in the movies here. The fact that guy isn't used to great lengths and quality is a goddamned shame. He's handsome, good actor, great action actor, and can perfectly speak English. Seems like it should be easy but no... White Hollywood likes to keep their Asians in a quota.

DaveyJoe 08-15-15 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12562833)
Yen seriously needs to get some Western love in the movies here. The fact that guy isn't used to great lengths and quality is a goddamned shame. He's handsome, good actor, great action actor, and can perfectly speak English. Seems like it should be easy but no... White Hollywood likes to keep their Asians in a quota.

Part of the problem is that American audiences probably don't want to line up for a Donnie Yen starring role. They like their Tom Cruises, Brad Pitts, and Will Smiths, but how many mainstream moviegoers are going to get hyped up over a Chinese actor? It's not like America has a love affair with China right now. Hollywood tried with Chow Yun Fat back in the 90s, how many of his starring roles made a ton of money? Sincere question, I genuinely don't know.

Solid Snake 08-15-15 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12562848)
Part of the problem is that American audiences probably don't want to line up for a Donnie Yen starring role. They like their Tom Cruises, Brad Pitts, and Will Smiths, but how many mainstream moviegoers are going to get hyped up over a Chinese actor? It's not like America has a love affair with China right now. Hollywood tried with Chow Yun Fat back in the 90s, how many of his starring roles made a ton of money? Sincere question, I genuinely don't know.

What they need to do is build him up. Costarring here and there in great or awesome exposure type of films with him being amazing and then let him lead something up. Don't make him play an obvious role where he's Mr. Asian being Asian and doing Asian things cuz he's Asian. Fuck. Team him up with the Rock or make him Shang Chi for the MCU. Get him that outlet where he can exposed to the audience in a way that makes them remember him.

MLBFan24 08-15-15 06:42 PM

I don't know anything about Donnie Yen's character, but he's now my favorite SW character. Oddly enough, I never really had a favorite SW movie character from any of the previous films, despite my love for the series.

I'm Chinese, so I gotta root for Yen. I wouldn't complain if they redid the "Ip Man vs. 10 Black Belts" scene with Yen vs 10 stormtroopers :cool:

Double_Oh_7 08-15-15 07:30 PM

Who the f--- is Donnie Yen?

DJariya 08-15-15 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 12562908)

Not sure if serious

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/upl...Donnie-Yen.jpg

Hong Kong martial arts star.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0947447/

He does mostly movies in Asia, but has done a few American films like Blade II, Shanghai Knights and Highlander: Endgame.

kefrank 08-15-15 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 12562908)

https://youtu.be/v1Cb2d0ZUVs

The Valeyard 08-15-15 07:46 PM

-other-

B.A. 08-18-15 09:15 AM

It's awesome.

TGM 08-23-15 08:00 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...Rogue-One.html

evidently Peter Cushing will reprise his role as Tarkan... hopefully there is a scene where he's dancing with a vacuum cleaner.

kgrogers1979 08-23-15 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12568482)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...Rogue-One.html

evidently Peter Cushing will reprise his role as Tarkan... hopefully there is a scene where he's dancing with a vacuum cleaner.

He is not reprising the role since he is dead and that would be a physical impossibility for him to reprise any role. Tarkin is being digitally recreated via CGI, but Cushing isn't reprising the role to voice the CGI character or anything like that.

DaveyJoe 08-23-15 08:14 AM

I don't like the idea of using dead actors in movies. I find it morbid, and it will take me out of the movie.

TGM 08-23-15 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 12568484)
He is not reprising the role since he is dead and that would be a physical impossibility for him to reprise any role. Tarkin is being digitally recreated via CGI, but Cushing isn't reprising the role to voice the CGI character or anything like that.

oy vey. lighten up, Francis.

DaveyJoe 08-23-15 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12568489)
lighten up.

That would be a physical impossibility.

kgrogers1979 08-23-15 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12568487)
I don't like the idea of using dead actors in movies. I find it morbid, and it will take me out of the movie.

Can you watch the original Star Wars knowing several of the actors, like Cushing and Guinness, have died since filming it? How about a really old movie like The Wizard of Oz where practically the entire cast is long dead by now?

TGM 08-23-15 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 12568493)
Can you watch the original Star Wars knowing several of the actors, like Cushing and Guinness, have died since filming it? How about a really old movie like The Wizard of Oz where practically the entire cast is long dead by now?

were they dead when they filmed it?