DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/620224-rogue-one-star-wars-story-12-16-16-d-edwards-s-jones-luna-mendelsohn-yen.html)

RoboDad 04-11-18 07:45 PM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y
 

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13308963)
Still, he can't consent to his likeness being used if he's dead. Seeing a special effect of a dead actor on screen just kept pulling me out of the movie.

It didn't bother me at all.

Maybe people who have such deep-seated issues with this type of thing should recognize that it makes them too emotionally affected to offer any opinion on the film overall. If the filmmakers had chosen to use a different actor without the CGI overlay, nothing about the story would have changed, but your opinion of it would.

DaveyJoe 04-11-18 08:01 PM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y
 

Originally Posted by RoboDad (Post 13308976)
Maybe people who have such deep-seated issues with this type of thing should recognize that it makes them too emotionally affected to offer any opinion on the film overall.

That's ridiculous. The uncanny valley is a well-documented phenomenon which is why many people have issues with CGI characters portraying humans more than aliens/monsters. And if one is turned off by the effect that in no way negates other issues they may have with the film.

RoboDad 04-11-18 08:18 PM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y
 

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13308994)
That's ridiculous. The uncanny valley is a well-documented phenomenon which is why many people have issues with CGI characters portraying humans more than aliens/monsters. And if one is turned off by the effect that in no way negates other issues they may have with the film.

The so-called "uncanny valley" has nothing to do with your issues regarding the likeness of a deceased actor being used. You have specifically, repeatedly called out that issue, and even gone as far as to say that the fact that it was a "dead actor" is what pulled you out of the movie.

DaveyJoe 04-11-18 08:30 PM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y
 

Originally Posted by RoboDad (Post 13309014)
The so-called "uncanny valley" has nothing to do with your issues regarding the likeness of a deceased actor being used. You have specifically, repeatedly called out that issue, and even gone as far as to say that the fact that it was a "dead actor" is what pulled you out of the movie.

During the Tarkin scenes, yes, for many others the the CGI Tarkin wasn't convincing enough, or seemingly off(uncanny valley). As WhySoBlu points out, the fact that we're still bitching and moaning about Tarkin for various reasons shows how controversial of a special effect it is.

I do see it as a parallel with Gene Kelly in the vacuum commercial: a massive corporation using an actor's likeness to make money when they are not in a position to grant consent(due to their death). Many here are willing to play apologist and confuse the two examples simply because this is Star Wars, and they like Star Wars a lot more than vacuuming, but it's a valid discussion concerning a new and controversial technology.

Either way it should in no way negate my thoughts on the film, many aspects of which I loved, including the third act and Alan Tudyk's performance as K-2SO. I'd feel the same way with any other franchise doing the same. I brought up my thoughts on the issue because once again this thread is discussing CGI-Tarkin, because it's clearly an aspect of the film that found mixed reactions among Star Wars fans.

Giantrobo 04-12-18 10:52 AM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y
 

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13308963)
Still, he can't consent to his likeness being used if he's dead.

But in your post you said:


Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13307950)
...I know his estate approved it and made some money, I just couldn't help wondering if Cushing would have agreed to be in Rogue One. ..

I was addressing, or speculating, since I don't really know what Cushing himself would do... on that bold part alone. That said, clearly society has given Estates/Families legal rights to control the images of Dead Celebs...Elvis, Tupac, etc. So as another poster pointed out, it may be a thing the Living actors have to address before they die.


Seeing a special effect of a dead actor on screen just kept pulling me out of the movie.
Totally get that. But for a lot of us..it didn't.

Mike86 04-12-18 11:24 AM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y
 
Yeah, I mean when youíre dead thatís it. I donít see why itís so controversial as at that point it shouldnít matter to anyone besides the surviving family. If theyíre okay with it and itís done respectfully (putting aside how good you thought it looked) I see no reason to take offense to it. If anything I think its kinda cool that stuff like that can be done and iconic actors can still live on a bit in new projects. Itís not like Disney marketed the film with him as a big selling point and in my opinion it was more just to accent the feel of the Original Trilogy.

DaveyJoe 04-12-18 02:41 PM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y
 

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13309394)
But in your post you said:



I was addressing, or speculating, since I don't really know what Cushing himself would do... on that bold part alone. That said, clearly society has given Estates/Families legal rights to control the images of Dead Celebs...Elvis, Tupac, etc. So as another poster pointed out, it may be a thing the Living actors have to address before they die.

And you may be right that he'd have been happy to say in another Star Wars movie. Then again... He might have thought differently after seeing TPM, AOTC, and ROTS. :lol:

Giantrobo 04-12-18 03:03 PM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y
 

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13309592)
And you may be right that he'd have been happy to say in another Star Wars movie. Then again... He might have thought differently after seeing TPM, AOTC, and ROTS. :lol:

OUCH! :lol:

RoboDad 04-12-18 03:20 PM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y
 

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13309592)
And you may be right that he'd have been happy to say in another Star Wars movie. Then again... He might have thought differently after seeing TPM, AOTC, and ROTS. :lol:

Bazinga!

Jason 04-12-18 04:59 PM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y
 

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13307950)
I just couldn't help wondering if Cushing would have agreed to be in Rogue One.

Well, Cushing appeared in hundreds of films, and was best know for low budget horror flicks. We can't speak for the technology aspect, but I can't imagine him he would have had a big problem in general with appearing in the film. I don't think he held the same opinion of the film that Alec Guinness did.

Josh-da-man 04-12-18 07:37 PM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y
 
But nobody has a problem with this CGI Tarkin:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/.../Tarkin-HS.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.