DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/620224-rogue-one-star-wars-story-12-16-16-d-edwards-s-jones-luna-mendelsohn-yen.html)

DaveyJoe 08-23-15 08:25 AM

Re: Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One (12/16/16, D: Gareth Edwards) S: Felicity Jones

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 12568493)
Can you watch the original Star Wars knowing several of the actors, like Cushing and Guinness, have died since filming it? How about a really old movie like The Wizard of Oz where practically the entire cast is long dead by now?

Yes, those are real actors, not CGI recreations of dead people who couldn't sign off on appearing in a movie.

kgrogers1979 08-23-15 08:27 AM

Re: Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One (12/16/16, D: Gareth Edwards) S: Felicity Jones

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12568489)
oy vey. lighten up, Francis.

You just phrased it poorly. A character being digitally recreated isn't nearly the same as an actor reprising the role.

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12568494)
were they dead when they filmed it?

No, but what does that matter? No actor is dead when they film a movie. Cushing isn't reprising the role because he is dead, and dead actors can't reprise a role.

JeremyM 08-23-15 09:23 AM

If continuity is so important, why don't they just use the guy who did the cameo in Episode III?

TGM 08-23-15 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 12568496)
You just phrased it poorly. A character being digitally recreated isn't nearly the same as an actor reprising the role.

I phrased it the way I phrased it, knowing full well the difference.

Draven 08-23-15 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 12568496)
No, but what does that matter? No actor is dead when they film a movie. Cushing isn't reprising the role because he is dead, and dead actors can't reprise a role.

It matters because Peter Cushing didn't choose to do the project, like he did when he was alive. Even if it's great, he should still have the choice. What if he never wanted to be in a Star Wars movie again?

DaveyJoe 08-23-15 10:49 AM

Yep, let's not forget that actors are people and for them, acting is a job. They are not ours to do what we please with their likeness. It would be like if one of us died and our employer decided to go ahead and use our corpse to make some money.

kgrogers1979 08-23-15 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 12568550)
It matters because Peter Cushing didn't choose to do the project, like he did when he was alive. Even if it's great, he should still have the choice. What if he never wanted to be in a Star Wars movie again?

Well technically Cushing isn't in another Star Wars and never will be. Tarkin =/= Cushing

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12568560)
Yep, let's not forget that actors are people and for them, acting is a job. They are not ours to do what we please with their likeness. It would be like if one of us died and our employer decided to go ahead and use our corpse to make some money.

Using a person's likeness is not nearly the same as digging up a dead rotting corpse.

Like I said above, Tarkin is not Cushing. Tarkin is a property of Disney. They could do whatever they want with Tarkin. They own the character. They could not force Cushing to reprise the role (assuming he was still alive) but they are still within their rights to use Tarkin as a CGI character.

Anyway, this is all just a rumor anyway. At least I don't think it was confirmed in that article. I read through it again, and it doesn't seem like anything official, and I haven't read about it in any other article. It's from the dailymail website too... Isn't that site notorious for making shit up? As someone earlier said, it makes more sense just to recast the role (like they did with Episode III) than to spend a lot of extra money making him CGI.

DaveyJoe 08-23-15 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 12568707)
Like I said above, Tarkin is not Cushing. Tarkin is a property of Disney. They could do whatever they want with Tarkin. They own the character. They could not force Cushing to reprise the role (assuming he was still alive) but they are still within their rights to use Tarkin as a CGI character.

They own the character, but not Cushing's likeness. Many celebrities have won lawsuits against parties that used their likeness without permission. This is why cartoon adaptations of movies often feature characters that look like nothing like the actors that played them. If Disney wants to use Cushing's likeness they'll have to get permission from his estate. Even if the estate approves, I find the concept to be tacky and morbid, and it will take me out of the movie to see a CGI Cushing.

Boba Fett 08-23-15 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12568714)
They own the character, but not Cushing's likeness. Many celebrities have won lawsuits against parties that used their likeness without permission. This is why cartoon adaptations of movies often feature characters that look like nothing like the actors that played them. If Disney wants to use Cushing's likeness they'll have to get permission from his estate. Even if the estate approves, I find the concept to be tacky and morbid, and it will take me out of the movie to see a CGI Cushing.

Exactly; Crispin Glover won a big lawsuit against Universal for such shenanigans in Back to the Future II. It's also somewhat well known by Trek fans that the estate of the actor who played Mudd doesn't like his likeness being used for anything new; when they did the Batman '66 comic they had to change an entire character because that actor was in the original series.

kgrogers1979 08-23-15 04:43 PM

Anyway, I think this is all just a rumor. Isn't that what the dailymail is? A gossip site full of bullshit rumors they make up?

I doubt it is true for several reasons.

One is the potential lawsuit.

Second is Disney has said they want to use more practical effects and less CGI for their movies. This rumor flies completely opposite of that.

Third is that they are certainly not against recasting the role since they have already done so in the prequel trilogy.

Fourth is what point would having a CGI Tarkin look like Cushing serve when Cushing cannot provide the voice anyway. Unless they just reuse old lines from Cushing.

TGM 08-23-15 04:44 PM

I'm sure you could find someone to do a Peter Cushing voice impersonation.

windom 08-23-15 05:01 PM

How were they able to use Marlon Brando in Superman Returns. I know that was old footage but was there some clause in his contract that allowed whatever footage they had to be used in future movies?

TGM 08-23-15 05:39 PM

a phone call to the dead actors "estate" and a big enough bag of cash and I'm sure i could make a CGI movie of General Tarkan tossing my salad.

resinrats 08-23-15 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12568494)
were they dead when they filmed it?

Well there is that one guy. Studio tried to cover it up saying it was a bird.....

lopper 08-23-15 10:20 PM

This kind of tech doesn't age well so I'd rather they just stay away from cgi characters entirely.

james2025a 08-24-15 06:32 AM

I am actually open to them having Tarkin in the movie. Cushing shot a lot of movies in his time, so i am sure they have enough material to make a really greast CGI likeness. The character seems a pretty essential role for the movie given the plot. And after seeing the skill that was used to de-age Michael Douglas in Ant-man i am actually a little more optimistic than usual. It seems its come a long way since the weird versions of Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy and Mckellan/Stewart in Last Stand.

dex14 08-24-15 07:07 AM

As someone already stated... I don't get why they wouldn't just cast Wayne Pygram, who played Tarkin in RoTS.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...ung_Tarkin.jpg

kgrogers1979 08-24-15 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by lopper (Post 12568927)
This kind of tech doesn't age well so I'd rather they just stay away from cgi characters entirely.

Early CGI hasn't aged well, but I feel modern CGI is significantly better and won't age as poorly. For example, Gollum in Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy still looks very good today and that was done 14 years ago.

It's kind of like video games in that regard. Early 3D graphics from the PS1/N64 era of video games has aged very very very poorly. The graphics in those games is just painful to look at today. However, while more modern 3D graphics in say the PS2/Xbox era had aged, they haven't aged nearly as a poorly as the PS1/N64 era.

It's like as technology matures it ages less poorly than the same technology when it was in its infancy. If that makes any sense. I guess as we approach the point of diminishing returns, the improvements aren't as great, but also since the difference isn't as great the old doesn't appear to noticeably age as much either.

joe_b 08-24-15 06:00 PM

Mikkelsen was quoted as saying that part of the filming will take place in Iceland. Hoth?

Also, Donnie Yen posted this on Instagram:

http://www.starwars7news.com/wp-cont...er-Helmets.jpg

EctoCooler 08-24-15 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 12569658)
Mikkelsen was quoted as saying that part of the filming will take place in Iceland. Hoth?

Spoiler:
No, it's not Hoth.

Jason 08-24-15 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 12569658)

I hope not. There are more than six planets in the SW universe.

joe_b 08-24-15 09:34 PM

Spoiler:
Well, we know the Massassi Temple base on Yavin IV is in movie, so showing the rebels scouting for Echo Base at some point doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

dex14 09-16-15 09:42 AM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Filming has begun.

Some pics:

Mabuse 09-16-15 03:52 PM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Can anyone explain that third pic? Is that sand or water?

Anyway, it's pretty amazing to think that there are currently two Star Wars films being filmed at the same time, Ep. VIII and this Rogue 1 thing. That's never happened before.

kgrogers1979 09-16-15 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 12589421)
Can anyone explain that third pic? Is that sand or water?

Spoiler:
It looks like dead stormtroopers lying on the ground to me. It doesn't look like they're floating in water. I think that armor would be too heavy to float anyway.

Is it just me or does that wrecked craft in the first two pics look like a podracer?