DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/620224-rogue-one-star-wars-story-12-16-16-d-edwards-s-jones-luna-mendelsohn-yen.html)

Kicker_of_Elves 05-22-14 06:27 PM

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118691

Godzilla director Gareth Edwards is attached to direct one of the upcoming Star Wars spinoff films, which will feature a screenplay by Gary Whitta and is now set to hit theaters December 16, 2016! The official announcement reads as follows:

In addition to the episodes of a new "Star Wars" trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on "Monsters," a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in "Monsters" earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit "Godzilla".

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life - join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited & honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm, said Edwards.

Gary Whitta's screenwriting credits include 2010s "The Book of Eli" starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of "The Walking Dead".

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, "Star Wars" has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth,is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."

TomOpus 05-22-14 06:30 PM

Re: Standalone Star Wars Movie (Boba Fett?) to be directed by Gareth Evans

I guess that might mean someone else will do Godzilla 2?

Matt 05-22-14 06:40 PM

Re: Standalone Star Wars Movie (Boba Fett?) to be directed by Gareth Edwards

Rumored schedule:

• 2014: Rebels - TV show
• 2015: Episode VII
• 2016: Boba Fett
• 2017: Episode VIII
• 2018: Solo
• 2019: Episode IX
• 2020: Red Five

islandclaws 05-22-14 06:42 PM

My immediate concern is how this affects the Godzilla sequel, which I care more about seeing done first.

Kicker_of_Elves 05-22-14 06:43 PM

Hopefully it's Bobba Fett and not the Solo movie.

Dr. DVD 05-22-14 06:44 PM

Waits for joke about how the Solo or Fett movie will not show their featured characters until 2/3 into the story.

Dr. DVD 05-22-14 06:50 PM

I think Evans, the one who did The Raid movies, will do Godzilla 2. ;)

Kicker_of_Elves 05-22-14 06:54 PM

Yeah I got it wrong big time :lol:

taffer 05-22-14 06:57 PM

The 2018 "Solo" movie is ambiguous. It may or not be Han. It could be a Solo kid. It could be a "solo" character movie they don't want to reveal yet.

Kicker_of_Elves 05-22-14 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12114720)
I guess that might mean someone else will do Godzilla 2?

Nope he's doing 2 and 3

http://networkedblogs.com/X6zLM

“Gareth's filmmaking talent makes him one of his generation's most creative and visionary directors,” says Tull. “The plan has always been for Gareth to direct a different film before we started on another 'Godzilla,' but who knew it would be a 'Star Wars' installment? We have a great plan in store for 'Godzilla' fans and I am looking forward to seeing Gareth’s imprint on the 'Star Wars' universe.”
http://www.superherohype.com/news/30...equel#/slide/1

Why So Blu? 05-22-14 07:20 PM

Re: Untitled Star Wars Spinoff (Boba Fett?) (12/16/16) D: Gareth Edwards

Expect Godzilla 2 by 2020-2021 then.

Kicker_of_Elves 05-22-14 07:29 PM

I think a lil sooner than that, maybe 2017-2018.

Mike86 05-22-14 07:39 PM

As much as I like the fact that Disney is moving projects along for both the Marvel and Star Wars brands I can't help but think that eventually by releasing a film or more a year people are going to get tired of them. Granted it hasn't really happened with Marvel yet but I won't be surprised if they eventually take some of the enthusiasm out of people by overmilking these franchises to death.

Traxan 05-22-14 09:17 PM

Star Wars (stand-alone film) -- 12/16/2016 (D: Edwards)

I guess he won't be doing a Godzilla sequel.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/22/57...tar-wars-movie

With newly-minted blockbuster Godzilla under his belt, director Gareth Edwards will helm the first of several standalone Star Wars films coming in the years ahead. Disney and Lucasfilm have announced that the film will be released on December 16th, 2016, a year after J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: Episode VII hits theaters. The subject of the new movie hasn't been formally announced, though Disney has previously stated that the standalone films will be origin stories, with everyone from Yoda, Boba Fett, to Han Solo thrown around as possible candidates. Gary Whitta (After Earth, Book of Eli) will be writing the first film.

Edwards' appointment comes on the heels of huge success with Godzilla, which opened last week. It earned $38.5 million on its first day, and went on to earn $93.1 million in domestic box office for the weekend. Both the ticket sales and largely favorable critical reception led to an immediate call for a sequel, according to a report from Deadline. Edwards' previous feature directorial project was the indie feature Monsters, in which he served as director, cinematographer, and visual effects artist all on his own.

It's been a busy series of weeks for Star Wars. Late last month the cast of Episode VII was announced, bringing confirmation that Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher would be returning to their iconic roles more than 30 years after Return of the Jedi. Gareth Edwards' involvement in the franchise was first reported by The Hollywood Reporter.

When we spoke with Edwards at SXSW, he struck us as a thoughtful filmmaker who was interested in more than just the empty spectacle that so many blockbusters thrive upon. Disney has seemed to demonstrate a keen awareness of the Star Wars fatigue many fans felt in the wake of the prequel films, and while the notion of annual standalone films is itself a reason for some concern, putting directors like Edwards behind the camera will go a long way towards ensuring the films are more than just a series of empty cash grabs.

Bryan Bishop contributed to this report.

Lt Ripley 05-22-14 09:23 PM

Zero desire to see a Fett movie. ZERO.

Michael Corvin 05-22-14 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 12114743)
Waits for joke about how the Solo or Fett movie will not show their featured characters until 2/3 into the story.

Preliminary cast photo of the Boba Fett movie:

Ranger 05-22-14 09:51 PM

Not sure what to think. Maybe it's about a new character from EP7?

HN 05-23-14 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12114806)
As much as I like the fact that Disney is moving projects along for both the Marvel and Star Wars brands I can't help but think that eventually by releasing a film or more a year people are going to get tired of them. Granted it hasn't really happened with Marvel yet but I won't be surprised if they eventually take some of the enthusiasm out of people by overmilking these franchises to death.

I won't tire of them until they crossover these franchises and settle this dispute once and for all

Solid Snake 05-23-14 06:49 AM

then you mean Fox and Disney. Marvel Studios doesn't have Adamantium.

mcnabb 05-23-14 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley (Post 12114882)
Zero desire to see a Fett movie. ZERO.

I wont be seeing the standalone movies in the theaters, but I will definitely catch them when they hit cable, as they can't be any worse then the other blockbuster crap that comes out every summer.

HN 05-23-14 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12115074)
then you mean Fox and Disney. Marvel Studios doesn't have Adamantium.

totally forgot about that :doh: shit's never getting settled

taffer 05-23-14 10:18 AM

Does Marvel even have a trademark on adamantium? I know they created the fictional metal, but it has been used several times outside of Marvel Comics as well. For example, D&D has golems made out of adamantium.

Solid Snake 05-25-14 09:20 AM

I don't know. You'd think they would. I've never heard of the element outside of a marvel comic or the X films.

Dr. DVD 05-25-14 09:28 AM

If Edwards is out on the Godzilla sequel, that might actually be a good thing. He stated that if he did a sequel he was going to take the exact same approach and hold off the monster action until the very end. That does make sense, but given that almost all the complaints about the movie are regarding that decision, a new director might be what is needed. Just not Michael Bay. ;)

Solid Snake 05-25-14 09:38 AM

He's doing two more G films.