Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 05-20-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Zack Snyder's Director's Cut discussion:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...exclusive.html
Print Wikipost

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Justice League of America movie planned

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
You have Flash, GL, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman. You mean to tell me that those folks won't be enough to draw people in?
I don't think so, but that will depend on how well the Green Lantern movie does and whether it can generate the interest and success that Iron Man did.
Old 08-06-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Fan reaction to the announcement that Batman and Superman will not be in the Justice League movie.
Here's another fan reaction to the retarded news of a Justice League movie not including Superman or Batman:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yg2u_De8j5o&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yg2u_De8j5o&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-06-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
i'm in, no matter the cast, but i do think you need to have supes and batman to make this a financial success.
Agreed. At least a cameo by both to falsely advertise in the trailers.
Old 08-06-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Agreed. At least a cameo by both to falsely advertise in the trailers.
i was thinking about that. sort of like Bruce and Arnie in The Expendables.
Old 08-06-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At first I didn't like the idea of not having Supes/Bats in it, but then I got to thinking, what if they just appear at the end? Sort of like a cliffhanger or maybe not even. Just have the 2 of them show up from wherever the hell they were and just say "So what did we miss?" Roll credits. THAT would make me pumped up for the sequel.
Old 08-06-10, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kal-El
At first I didn't like the idea of not having Supes/Bats in it, but then I got to thinking, what if they just appear at the end? Sort of like a cliffhanger or maybe not even. Just have the 2 of them show up from wherever the hell they were and just say "So what did we miss?" Roll credits. THAT would make me pumped up for the sequel.
If they appear at the end, it will show that the rest of the characters are worthless. What made characters like Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Jonn, Hawkgirl, etc, interesting and essential to the Justice League is the fact that circumstances showed that Superman and Batman weren't enough when Earth was facing threats.
Old 08-06-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
If they appear at the end, it will show that the rest of the characters are worthless. What made characters like Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Jonn, Hawkgirl, etc, interesting and essential to the Justice League is the fact that circumstances showed that Superman and Batman weren't enough when Earth was facing threats.
Then don't have it be a cliffhanger. Have the rest of the team deal with whatever the threat is, but at the end, you have to give some incentive for there to be a sequel and a promise of Bats and Supes would be the perfect set-up.
Old 08-06-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

i don't see why they wouldn't be in there

Nolan will be done with Batman by the time this is gettin underway, get a new Wayne, Superman will be cast by then, then put him in there
Old 08-06-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Originally Posted by toddly6666

A whole bunch of superheroes beating up an octopus? It was funny in Robin Williams POPEYE, but I don't think it would work for a superhero film. Starro should not be in any superhero flick.

Let's play Where's Superman and Batman:

Who can spot them?
Old 08-06-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
i don't see why they wouldn't be in there

Nolan will be done with Batman by the time this is gettin underway, get a new Wayne, Superman will be cast by then, then put him in there
Somebody is optimistic.
Old 08-06-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

haha

let's just say SHOULD be by then
Old 08-06-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Who can spot them?
you aren't helping your point much by using a comic from 50 years ago.
Old 08-06-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'd still see this without Batman or Superman in it, but I think it would be better (especially financially) if they put those characters in. I mean its going to be a tougher sell to a casual audience without them involved in some way. DC should really take a page from Marvel's book and build up the characters individually and their respective franchises, and then build up to the ultimate movie aka Justice League of America or whatever they want to call it.

I guess I don't really understand why Bale couldn't be involved as Bats either, it seems as if everyone here thinks he would need to be recast if they were to involve Batman in the film. The only thing I could see is if Bale didn't want to do it.
Old 08-06-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Originally Posted by Deftones
you aren't helping your point much by using a comic from 50 years ago.
Well, if we want to scream about comic accuracy and all that, the JLA didn't have Bats or Superman. And on a story element, how big of a threat would you have to create in order to have it survive a fight with superman alone, but be a threat to ALL of these super heroes combined.

It would have to be cosmic on all levels. Yeah, it's great to see all these characters on screen - but again, you need to have some sort of story or threat behind them getting together.

So if leaving out two of the wild cards makes it easier, as well as keeps it in line with the actual origins of the group... then, hey.. why the fuck not?
Old 08-06-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, if we want to scream about comic accuracy and all that, the JLA didn't have Bats or Superman. And on a story element, how big of a threat would you have to create in order to have it survive a fight with superman alone, but be a threat to ALL of these super heroes combined.

It would have to be cosmic on all levels. Yeah, it's great to see all these characters on screen - but again, you need to have some sort of story or threat behind them getting together.

So if leaving out two of the wild cards makes it easier, as well as keeps it in line with the actual origins of the group... then, hey.. why the fuck not?
Because the box office will be twice as big with Bats and Supes? But hey, if you think everyone else fighting a giant star fish equates to a huge success, maybe you should team up with Jon Peters.
Old 08-06-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That same line of thinking that Sony used when doing spider-man 2 and 3? The first made such and such, so let's double the budget and we'll get double the returns!

GL, Flash and Wonder woman are potentially going to make a lot in their own films. So having those three come together

Again, the movie quality is going to be bad if you don't have a good reason to bringing these characters together. It has ALWAYS been the problem with the comic book on a monthly basis. What threat warrants this much fire power?

They haven't gotten Superman right in the films because they fail to give him a threat that can withstand a punch from him. So you bring in this invincible man to a team?

And unless you have a successful Superman film prior to this, it makes no sense to lock yourself in on this one with him.

Batman's movie universe doesn't seem fit to crossover at this point. And if you can get 533 million for batman on his own, and 200 million for Superman.. and let's just say Green Lantern makes 200 million and 200 million for Flash

Do you think it's going to make 733 million more just because superman and batman are in it? You play your cards right and it'll be a good franchise. But blow your load early and then what do you have saved up to get people excited for the sequel and so on?

So, do tell folks - who should the JLA fight in the first film? And saying Darksaid would just be as silly as saying a Giant starfish in terms of explaining this to the audience. Let alone dealing with his Omega beams.
Old 08-06-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Page 3 and 4 respectively. Superman was in space, and Batman was on a case, but they were monitoring the threat.
Old 08-06-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Who can spot them?
Of course, they are on pages three and four of that issue, basically saying "Call us if you need us."

But I don't think they're needed for a Justice League movie.

EDIT: Damn, I shouldn't have waited until after dinner to post my response.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 08-06-10 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They haven't gotten Superman right in the films because they fail to give him a threat that can withstand a punch from him. So you bring in this invincible man to a team?
This is why I dont mind the omission of Superman. During every conflict the audience is left thinking "Supes could take out [insert villain here] in a nanosecond." He has to be powered waaaaay down to make things even remotely interesting. And then your left with an underpowered watered down superman.
Old 08-06-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Awesome, I knew Avengers was going to light a fire again for JLA
Yeah I was hoping it would too.
Old 08-06-10, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Avengers should fight JLA.

Win. Win.
Old 08-07-10, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Thrush
This is why I dont mind the omission of Superman. During every conflict the audience is left thinking "Supes could take out [insert villain here] in a nanosecond." He has to be powered waaaaay down to make things even remotely interesting. And then your left with an underpowered watered down superman.
So it's settled, we use Shazam and make it a JLI team. Blue and Gold on the big screen.
Old 08-07-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It would have to be cosmic on all levels.
Or, it could be a threat that requires more than one person to fight it. Even Superman is bound by the fact that he can only be in one place at a time (as long as Richard Donner isn't involved). You don't need a cosmic threat, just one that can threaten Gotham City and Metropolis simultaneously. Alternately, you could go with the old standby of having villains team up.
Old 03-29-11, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

via JoBlo.com

Back in 2007, Warner Bros. was moving full-steam ahead on a JUSTICE LEAGUE movie with hopes of getting into production before the looming writers' strike. Actors like Jay Baruchel, Armie Hammer, Teresa Palmer, Adam Brody and Common had signed on to star in the film that would follow a younger crop of superheroes (so as to not conflict with the more adult universes that Batman and Superman were filming in).

But while rehearsals were well underway, the script never got up to par and Warner Bros. shut the whole thing down in January of 2008. Now, three years later, it looks like WB is finally ready to return to the JLA.

Buried in an article about Jeff Robinov taking over as president of Warner Bros. is some word on what high-profile projects Robinov is planning for the future of WB. It mentions new BATMAN and SUPERMAN films in 2012 before a cryptic mention of "JUSTICE LEAGUE, a teaming of DC's top heroes, in 2013."

UPDATE - The LA Times was able to get Robinov to clarify and he said that after THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, they'll be rebooting Batman for JUSTICE LEAGUE. Asked what exactly that means, he said, "Chris Nolan and [producing partner and wife] Emma Thomas will be producing it, so it will be a conversation with them about what the next phase is." So perhaps the bigger news is that Chris Nolan will be producing JUSTICE LEAGUE, as they are producing SUPERMAN?

Were this from a producer or a star or a writer, I'd still be very skeptical because sometimes those people don't even know what's going on. But this is Jeff Robinov who has sole green light power at Warner Bros. and if he wants a JUSTICE LEAGUE movie, then so be it, he'll have his JUSTICE LEAGUE movie.

Of course it's not as easy as what Marvel is doing with THE AVENGERS. While that film will keep many of the same cast members from Marvel films over the past few years, JUSTICE LEAGUE won't get Christian Bale as Batman. And if they don't get Bale, do they keep Henry Cavill or return to a much younger cast?
Old 03-29-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

They should keep Cavill. A familiar face to market (if the new Superman movie is good) and then cast the rest unknowns.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.