Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 05-20-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Zack Snyder's Director's Cut discussion:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...exclusive.html
Print Wikipost

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Justice League Movie- Release date ?

I believe WB now regrets failing to approve that Whedon WW movie now w/ The Avengers being great and whatnot.
Old 06-07-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I believe WB now regrets failing to approve that Whedon WW movie now w/ The Avengers being great and whatnot.
I bet they do but I can't say I would've been that jazzed about it. She's always been one of the least interesting DC characters to me.

WB is clearly trying to capitalize on the ensemble genre but they're off to a piss-poor start with Green Lantern being as bad as it was.

I think it'd be interest to shadow Marvel and do lead-up films to a Justice League movie. It'd at least have me more invested.
Old 06-07-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could work. Just need the right script. I believe Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are more iconic than Marvel's mighty heroes. Therefore, less need for lead in movies. Plus those characters have been played by several actors each already so it won't feel as odd to have a new cast in the suits. I'll buy a ticket no matter what. I want to see this movie as much as The Avengers.
Old 06-07-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
He's already old as shit. He literally won't be able to continue doing Iron Man movies for more than 5-10 more years. That's 2 or 3 more movies max.
47 is old as shit? I am guessing you are still in your twenties.
Old 06-07-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Good to know I'm six years out from being "old as shit"
Old 06-07-12, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I wonder how long Downey will last till he says he's done. He loves the character and I'm sure he's very fortunate for Marvel making him a full on star again.
I would guess Avengers 2 is the last he's contracted for... after that, Marvel would either have to pay a huge amount for one more Iron Man and/or a cameo in Avengers 3. But by that time, they'll have 2-3 new characters...and although none will reach Iron Man's popularity, the Marvel machine will be rolling along well enough that they can probably write out Iron Man from needing to be in the mix.
Old 06-07-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I believe Iron Man 3 is his last contracted film.
Old 06-07-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 482 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I believe Iron Man 3 is his last contracted film.
He'll do The Avengers 2 as well.

After that? I'm sure that Marvel will be able to throw enough money at him to get him to do Iron Man 4, but that may be it.
Old 06-08-12, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

There was a time when we believed there was good and evil in the world. Back then, we had heroes. They protected us from all that was wrong in the world.

Since then, I grew up. I realized the good guys don't always win. Batman was broken ...

... Superman fell ...

... the lines between dark and light became blurred.

Then, it just became dark.

Now, it is time to return to the light.
It is time for us to feel safe again.
It is time for justice.

(In other words ... Superman's movie must end on a down note - leaving room for a sequel of course; Green Lantern 2 must show us the fall of Hal Jordan and introduce another Green Lantern - chose whichever one you want. Justice League would be founded by the new Green Lantern and Wonder Woman and would feature Green Arrow, Flash, Martian Manhunter, and Black Canary.)

Last edited by Abob Teff; 06-08-12 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-08-12, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
He'll do The Avengers 2 as well.

After that? I'm sure that Marvel will be able to throw enough money at him to get him to do Iron Man 4, but that may be it.
E doesn't seem to think that:

http://www.eonline.com/news/avengers...hink_we/314861

2. Robert Downey Jr. Will Make a Lot of Money, Somewhere: The star's Iron Man deal runs out after the upcoming Iron Man 3. So, either Marvel will pay Downey (a lot) to suit up again for The Avengers 2, or he'll take his bankable self to another franchise (and Marvel can try out its James Bond plan).
Old 06-08-12, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

And it was a solid treatment too. Basically Wonder Woman in WWII fighting Nazis armed with Amazonian weapons.
Old 06-08-12, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I suppose this could work but the bar has been set so extremely high by Avengers it's unlikely.

I'm also running under the assumptions that
Spoiler:
batman dies in the next movie -- although I have nothing but the trailer to lead me to believe that
Old 06-08-12, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I am fascinated by the fact that 100% of the people in this thread think The Avengers was a success because of Marvel's "Method." Avengers was a success because it was a damn good movie. I'd only seen half of the "build up." I wasn't familiar with Thor, Loki, Hawkeye or Black Widow. It doesn't matter, the movie absolutely stands on its own. The build-up definitely built awareness, but that's not the reason it succeeded.

That being said, I absolutely think JL could succeed this early but they would have to have Bale and whatshisfaceplayingSupes on board to anchor the movie. They are the two most iconic heroes out there. Build the movie around those two and pepper it in with Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, and maybe 1-2 lesser characters(leave out Green Latern and forget that movie ever happened). Even without build-up movies, people KNOW the DC-5, they're legendary characters. They don't need a build up "method" to work.

As for Bale's Batman working, that's definitely a delicate situation to tackle but I don't think it's impossible like everyone else.

Lastly, at that point we will have had 6 Superman movies with Lex Luthor as a villain. For the love of god, come up with something new for JL.
Old 06-08-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If DC wants to do this thing they need to build it up like the Marvel franchises. Which means a JLA movie is probably 4 years away minimum. The directors are the key to this. Throw money at the best in the biz. Tarantino, Speilberg, Scorcese, Fincher, PT Anderson, etc. Try to get them to helm a franchise. Batman is rock solid. Snyder, who I think is a good director, will hopefully solidify Superman. Try to get other top flight directors for Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (the recent release should be utterly ignored for film series canon) and another...Aquaman?..Martian Manhunter?...Green Arrow? If they don't do this and don't build a central pillar like the Marvel franchises did, they will fail horribly. And a horrible overarching team film will be extremely hard to ignore, like Marvel did with Ang Lee's Hulk. The damage could be irrepairable.
Old 06-08-12, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I think they could do a decent JL movie if they did a similar approach to Marvel's. If the new Superman movie does well, they could try to get that actor for Supes. In the meantime, have someone do a GOOD Green Lantern movie for Ryan Reynolds. I don't know about a stand-alone Wonder Woman movie. Not really necessary. I think Superman, Batman and GL need their own movies to set them up. The big problem will be Batman. No way you're getting Nolan or Bale to do any more Batman, IMO. So you need to re-establish that character. Do it the way Marvel did - have them all sign on for 3 solo pics and three Justice League pics. They could make it happen. I doubt they will do it the "right" way, though. Superman Returns and the Green Lantern flick are proof that DC doesn't really know what it is doing with its movie characters.
Old 06-08-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't even want to see live-action DC movies anymore. I say put the money in animation (where they have always excelled at and consistently beaten Marvel) and produce feature-length, CG-animated films with Pixar/more-recent Dreamworks quality.

You know how this is going to play out. WB commissions a script, it gets rewritten by committee and handed to a workmanlike director who will play it out just as the studio wants it. Think a Raja Gosnell or Brad Peyton type. They'll throw $250 million at it and it'll gross just north of that, worldwide, at best. They'll be left scratching their heads as to "what went wrong" and be convinced that the public "doesn't want superhero movies anymore" when in fact they just don't want BAD ones. Meanwhile Marvel will keep on raking it in. Because they get it. Good for them.

And I say this primarily as a DC fan, who wants better but expects the least.
Old 06-08-12, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 482 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
E doesn't seem to think that:

http://www.eonline.com/news/avengers...hink_we/314861

2. Robert Downey Jr. Will Make a Lot of Money, Somewhere: The star's Iron Man deal runs out after the upcoming Iron Man 3. So, either Marvel will pay Downey (a lot) to suit up again for The Avengers 2, or he'll take his bankable self to another franchise (and Marvel can try out its James Bond plan).
That's what I meant. He'll do it, but he's going to get paid a lot to do it. The Avengers 2 needs him, and after the staggering success of The Avengers they'll pay him top dollar to come back one more time.

And after that? Does he do Iron Man 4? Or does Marvel go James Bond and bring in a new actor?

We'll find out in a couple years...
Old 06-08-12, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As far as I know, RDJ is contracted for three IM movies and three Avengers movies. So they'll definitely have to re-negotiate for an IM4 but he's likely locked (depending on any clauses in his contract) for at least two more Avengers movies.
Old 06-08-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although it might be too financially risky, I suppose another option for DC would be to make a Justice League movie like the Lord of the Rings, where you take three movies to build up the characters and tell a fuller story, rather than just trying to cram too much into a single 2 hour movie.
Old 06-08-12, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Although it might be too financially risky, I suppose another option for DC would be to make a Justice League movie like the Lord of the Rings, where you take three movies to build up the characters and tell a fuller story, rather than just trying to cram too much into a single 2 hour movie.
I saw the same idea suggested over at Blu-ray.com. That could work but, as suggested over there, it'd also require a massive prologue to get the audience in the right mindset right from the start.

Would be a cool approach, though.
Old 06-08-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Coming Summer 2015 ... Director Rob Cohen brings his unique creative vision to Justice League...

*wakes up screaming*
Old 06-08-12, 01:00 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

This idea sounds like a rushed hot mess. Although I would like to see Batman in a less heavy-handed movie than Nolan's trilogy.
Old 06-08-12, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After about three movies I find super-hero movies kind of fizzle out. See X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Blade. So I don't see the point in doing like four movies in a franchise time to move on.
Old 06-08-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WB is seeing the results, but they fail to see the process. How much swill are they going to endure from the Greg Berlantis and Joel Silvers of the world until they realize that it takes creativity and vision to make something like the Avengers happen?

Iron Man is a GREAT example. Here was a character virtually UNKNOWN to mass audiences (even less so than Green Lantern), but with a strong script, exceptional marketing and promotion, and a virtuoso breakout RDJ performance, Marvel exploded onto the scene with a winning movie, blockbuster grosses, and a strong foundation on which to build their "cinematic universe".

WB sees superheroes they already own and potential dollar signs. Period. Green Lantern could have been amazing, but you can tell by the finished product that barely anyone involved with the movie really believed in it. The script was poor, the direction flat, the editing abysmal... a $250 million turd.

I so want "Man of Steel" to be great. I really do. But I doubt their ability to produce anything of quality that doesn't have "A Christopher Nolan Film" listed in the credits...
Old 06-08-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I don't even want to see live-action DC movies anymore. I say put the money in animation (where they have always excelled at and consistently beaten Marvel) and produce feature-length, CG-animated films with Pixar/more-recent Dreamworks quality.

You know how this is going to play out. WB commissions a script, it gets rewritten by committee and handed to a workmanlike director who will play it out just as the studio wants it. Think a Raja Gosnell or Brad Peyton type. They'll throw $250 million at it and it'll gross just north of that, worldwide, at best. They'll be left scratching their heads as to "what went wrong" and be convinced that the public "doesn't want superhero movies anymore" when in fact they just don't want BAD ones. Meanwhile Marvel will keep on raking it in. Because they get it. Good for them.

On all points.

You and me both...It's like being a KISS or Star Wars fan.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.