Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018, D: DeKnight) S: Boyega

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018, D: DeKnight) S: Boyega

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Pacific Rim 2 (del Toro, 201?) --> News, casting, rumors, etc...

Originally Posted by dex14
Legendary Pictures CEO and Producer Thomas Tull:

Read more at http://collider.com/godzilla-thomas-...bI8RgZSwoLy.99
So basically, there's nothing on paper yet and it could be years before we see a potential sequel.

At least they're open to the idea.

damn.
Old 03-20-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm still staggered that the first film exists at all, I'd be amazed if we get a sequel.
Old 03-20-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

It did north of 400 million dollars
globally and both the home video sales and the
merchandise have way over-indexed, so it
seems like fans really loved the world.
It sounds good but what does "over-indexed" mean?
Old 03-20-14, 12:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

In this case, it basically means sold better than expectations.
Old 03-20-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I like his Spanish language films, I hope he does another one soon.
Old 03-20-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Hoping a sequel does happen, but I could do without the Ron Pearlman character or the 2 dopey scientists in it.
Old 03-20-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah just give Idris Elba a bigger role... oh wait.
Old 03-20-14, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Liked the first one a lot, but I hope in a sequel we'd get more big scenes in daylight.
Old 03-20-14, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tull may be a movie/comic-book fan, but he's definitely a film producer, by claiming that Pacific Rim did better than every film when accounting for international box office. (It was crushed domestically by all of his examples, with lower standard ticket prices and no 3D premiums attached.)

2001 - The Fast and the Furious: $144.5 Domestic (Avg Ticket $5.66); $62.7 International ($207 WW) - I'm thinking franchise wise, this crushes any potential franchise of Pacific Rim.

2005 - Batman Begins: $206.8 Domestic (Avg Ticket $6.41); $167.3 International ($374 WW)

2006 - Superman Returns: $200.0 Domestic (Avg Ticket $6.55); $191.0 International ($391 WW)

2009 - Star Trek: $257.7 Domestic (Avg Ticket $7.50); $127.9 International ($385 WW)

2013 - Pacific Rim: $101.8 (Avg Ticket $8.13); $309.2 International ($411 WW)

Ticket prices per: Box Office Mojo Price Adjustments

It's all spin, and that's if you just factor in ticket prices... That's not even going into the bloated budget and marketing of Pacific Rim.

It'll be near to impossible to get a sequel to Pacific Rim. WB was unhappy with the whole process (thus the end of Legendary's distribution deal), and their new distribution partner, Universal, has already been burned by a sequel to a Del Toro cult hit... Hellboy 2.

fitprod

Last edited by fitprod; 03-20-14 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Doesn't matter. They'll just do a reboot.
Old 03-20-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by fitprod
Tull may be a movie/comic-book fan, but he's definitely a film producer, by claiming that Pacific Rim did better than every film when accounting for international box office. (It was crushed domestically by all of his examples, with lower standard ticket prices and no 3D premiums attached.)

2001 - The Fast and the Furious: $144.5 Domestic (Avg Ticket $5.66); $62.7 International ($207 WW) - I'm thinking franchise wise, this crushes any potential franchise of Pacific Rim.

2005 - Batman Begins: $206.8 Domestic (Avg Ticket $6.41); $167.3 International ($374 WW)

2006 - Superman Returns: $200.0 Domestic (Avg Ticket $6.55); $191.0 International ($391 WW)

2009 - Star Trek: $257.7 Domestic (Avg Ticket $7.50); $127.9 International ($385 WW)

2013 - Pacific Rim: $101.8 (Avg Ticket $8.13); $309.2 International ($411 WW)

Ticket prices per: Box Office Mojo Price Adjustments

It's all spin, and that's if you just factor in ticket prices... That's not even going into the bloated budget and marketing of Pacific Rim.

It'll be near to impossible to get a sequel to Pacific Rim. WB was unhappy with the whole process (thus the end of Legendary's distribution deal), and their new distribution partner, Universal, has already been burned by a sequel to a Del Toro cult hit... Hellboy 2.

fitprod

But PR did do better than all of them once worldwide was factored in to the equation. You make it seem like domestic grosses are all that matters when determining if a movie is a hit. American audiences are not the only audience that counts.
Old 03-20-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Yeah just give Idris Elba a bigger role... oh wait.
Just make the 15 minute pre-title sequence about Elba and some strange Kaiju he encountered via a portal that was not the rift we saw in the first movie. Then have that play out in the film proper with a bonus flashback (or two) that features Elba once again.
Old 03-21-14, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
But PR did do better than all of them once worldwide was factored in to the equation. You make it seem like domestic grosses are all that matters when determining if a movie is a hit. American audiences are not the only audience that counts.
But not when you factor in the bloated budget and marketing. (Estimated between $250 and $300 million, with marketing, which blows away all of the films referenced excluding Superman Returns)

The actual attendance has to be factored in as well, which Pacific Rim is nowhere close, domestically or internationally. Bloated ticket prices really skew actual attendance of films.

WB got all of the international distribution fees, which ultimately is only 25% to 30% of the international grosses. Want an example of how little it is? China was $111 million, more than 1/3 of the international gross, and WB will only get $27.5 Million (By government rules). Doesn't sound like chump change, but when you've probably spent at least $10 to $15 million in marketing in the area, it's a failure.

fitprod
Old 03-21-14, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Believe me, marketing does not cost that much. It's a smoke screen.
Old 03-21-14, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by fitprod
But not when you factor in the bloated budget and marketing. (Estimated between $250 and $300 million, with marketing, which blows away all of the films referenced excluding Superman Returns)

The actual attendance has to be factored in as well, which Pacific Rim is nowhere close, domestically or internationally. Bloated ticket prices really skew actual attendance of films.

WB got all of the international distribution fees, which ultimately is only 25% to 30% of the international grosses. Want an example of how little it is? China was $111 million, more than 1/3 of the international gross, and WB will only get $27.5 Million (By government rules). Doesn't sound like chump change, but when you've probably spent at least $10 to $15 million in marketing in the area, it's a failure.

fitprod
What a bloated post.
Old 03-21-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Believe me, marketing does not cost that much. It's a smoke screen.
Wouldn't that depend on the film? I've seen some pretty aggressive marketing campaigns, and doesn't that tie into all of the merchandising as well? You can't look left of right without seeing some Minions.
Old 03-21-14, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I don't recall PR having that aggressive a marketing campaign. In fact, I remember a lot of us wondering why there weren't that many spots for it in the two weeks leading up to its release.
Old 03-21-14, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Wouldn't that depend on the film? I've seen some pretty aggressive marketing campaigns, and doesn't that tie into all of the merchandising as well? You can't look left of right without seeing some Minions.

Depends on the project but no way are they spending the budget of the film on the marketing budget. That's a myth in Hollywood.
Old 05-29-14, 04:26 AM

I seem to be of the minority who didn't enjoy Pacific Rim. Which almost kills me as I absolutely adore Guillermo del Toro, and have enjoyed every single movie of his I have watched. Do we need a Pacific Rim 2? Heck no, I don't want to be disappointed a second time!
Old 05-29-14, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What didn't you like about it?
Old 05-29-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Trickshot
I seem to be of the minority who didn't enjoy Pacific Rim. Which almost kills me as I absolutely adore Guillermo del Toro, and have enjoyed every single movie of his I have watched. Do we need a Pacific Rim 2? Heck no, I don't want to be disappointed a second time!
Well if they make a Pacific Rim 2 you won't be disappointed since you won't have much anticipation for it.

I like del Toro visuals more than del Toro full movies, which always seem to underwhelm me. Pacific Rim was an okay one time watch, but I tried to watch it again a week or so ago and was just bored by it. The overall corniness and cheese factor (with both the characters and robots) work well as a sort of massive B-movie, but it just isn't something that holds replay value, imo.
Old 05-30-14, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
What didn't you like about it?
Just about everything!

As I said I really wanted to like this one, and it did look very pretty, BUT...

I thought it was just one big build-up to a fight between a monster and robot, which is not really a bad thing, but in this case the build-up was terrible, packed with clichés and nothing I could connect to. I was really, really bored.

Usually Guillermo has you rooting for almost every character, each one has something, but I didn't care for any of the characters, although I did worry that the dog might die. I guess that's something?

I think I was expecting a Guillermo del Toro movie, and instead got a Michael Bay one.
Old 05-30-14, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Well if they make a Pacific Rim 2 you won't be disappointed since you won't have much anticipation for it.

I like del Toro visuals more than del Toro full movies, which always seem to underwhelm me. Pacific Rim was an okay one time watch, but I tried to watch it again a week or so ago and was just bored by it. The overall corniness and cheese factor (with both the characters and robots) work well as a sort of massive B-movie, but it just isn't something that holds replay value, imo.
I love his visuals as well as the movie content, there is always something for me, but with PR I was so very bored. I pushed through to the end and thought I'd have my payoff. Never bloody happened. I can't bring myself to watch it again.
Old 06-08-14, 04:43 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

AUSTIN — Director Guillermo del Toro is currently working on a script for a sequel to his 2013 international hit Pacific Rim.

While promoting his new FX series The Strain at the Austin Television Festival, del Toro told BuzzFeed that he and screenwriter Zak Penn (X-Men: The Last Stand, The Incredible Hulk) have started work on a screenplay for Pacific Rim 2.

“I’m working very, very hard with Zak Penn,” he told BuzzFeed. “We’ve been working for a few months now in secret. We found a way to twist it around. Travis Beacham [co-writer of the first film, now working on Fox’s Hieroglyph] was involved in the storyline and now I’m writing with Zak because Travis has become a TV mogul.”

While the filmmaker stressed that Legendary Pictures has not formally agreed to put the script into production, he said that he and Penn are working on it as if it will be made one day.

“I don’t have the money, but I’m proceeding like it is happening,” he said with a laugh, adding that he hopes to tackle the sequel after producing his next project.

Del Toro also revealed that the script, as it stands now, includes the characters Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam) and Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi) — and the story will follow the events of the first movie.

“Some people were wondering if we were going to do the prequel. I was never interested in doing that first wave of invasion,” del Toro said. “I’m going for very new, very crazy ideas on the second one, which are very different from the first one — but you will get really great spectacle.”

While Pacific Rim was a very modest hit in the U.S., grossing $101.8 million domestically, it was a sensation overseas, pulling in $309.2 million internationally (including $111.9 million in China alone). Legendary Pictures Chief Thomas Tull recently told the website I Am Rogue that his production company would only make Pacific Rim 2 “if we can crack the story [and] we all think it’s great,” and if del Toro is on board to direct it.

A rep for Legendary did not immediately have comment for this story.

Along with executive producing The Strain (as well as directing several episodes), del Toro is also directing Legendary’s horror film Crimson Peak with Mia Wasikowska, Tom Hiddleston, Jessica Chastain, and Hunnam, which is currently in post-production. He is also producing the animated feature The Book of Life for 20th Century Fox.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwiesel...s-in-the-works
Old 06-08-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Pacific Rim 2 is about as likely as a Dredd 2...in other words, not very. Although they could go the low-budget direct-to-video route on either of those with a different (i.e., cheaper) cast.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.