Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018, D: DeKnight) S: Boyega

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-13, 09:17 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

http://collider.com/pacific-rim-2-se...-toro/?_r=true
Filmmaker Guillermo del Toro made a splash this summer with his massive “monsters vs. robots” epic Pacific Rim. Though the Warner Bros. film carried a hefty budget, the pic did solid business at the box office, bringing in over $400 million worldwide. Del Toro always envisioned sequels to the pic in order to further flesh out the Pacific Rim world, and last we heard a follow-up was looking likely from a studio standpoint given the pic’s success at the global marketplace. Though the sequel still has yet to receive an official greenlight, del Toro recently revealed that he and screenwriter Travis Beacham are still working on the script for Pacific Rim 2. Hit the jump for more.

Speaking with IGN to promote the release of Pacific Rim on Blu-ray, del Toro confirmed that he is indeed hard at work on scripting the follow-up:

“We are writing the sequel. Travis Beacham and I are writing, so that is active. The decision to greenlight or not, that’s definitely above my pay rate.”

The Blu-ray sales of the film can’t hurt the follow-up’s chances, and hopefully the studio will make a firm decision in the coming months. It’s unclear whether the decision lies with Legendary Entertainment or Warner Bros. given that the two have since parted ways, but fans are no doubt crossing their fingers for a positive outcome either way.

Del Toro is rather busy for the next two years so he may not be in a position to direct the Pacific Rim follow-up, as he’s currently shooting the pilot for his FX series The Strain and he begins production on his next feature, Crimson Peak, in February.
Old 10-17-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Pacific Rim 2 (del Toro, 201?) --> News, casting, rumors, etc...

Enjoyed the 1st movie and all of it's BIG Special Effects, not sure I need to see another.
Old 10-17-13, 09:33 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Sad, no mention of Hellboy 3. But I'm down for more Pacific Rim.
Old 10-17-13, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was about to post about this. Not sure we need a sequel but I'm game for more.
Old 10-17-13, 09:44 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

i think if he fleshed the story out a little more and added some character development, i would like this better than the 1st.
Old 10-17-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd love a sequel, and glad it made money overseas. I wonder if they'll cut the budget given the low domestic take.
Old 10-17-13, 10:32 AM
Banned

I don't think the film could work with too much much of the budget cut down. Keep it the same or take it down a little but the budget PR had was used very well.
Old 10-17-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm game for a sequel if they drop Hunnam. His lifeless approach to the role nearly killed the film.
Old 10-17-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I don't think the film could work with too much much of the budget cut down.
It would if they put guys in suits this time around.
Old 10-17-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Enjoyed the first one and will watch the second. Thank goodness for overseas BO.
Old 10-17-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I don't think the film could work with too much much of the budget cut down. Keep it the same or take it down a little but the budget PR had was used very well.
While I loved the effects and spectacle, I find it hard to believe they needed all $190 million to do it.
Old 10-17-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

This is never going to happen. Writing a script means nothing.
Old 10-17-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I am thinking this one might get a budget from foreign investors, so the domestic take won't matter as much.

Personally, I would rather see a Godzilla crossover than another PR. Don't think I've mentioned that yet.
Old 10-17-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Personally, I would rather see a Godzilla crossover than another PR. Don't think I've mentioned that yet.
Not in this thread.
Old 10-17-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Not in this thread.
If the Godzilla movie is successful, then I will admit that a PR sequel could be used to set up a crossover. I would have it go down like this:

-Sometime during the credits for Godzilla, we see a UFO that someone alluded to during the movie floating through space. Suddenly it explodes and forms King Ghidora.

-PR 2 deals with other Kaiju, and then during their end credits we see the ocean bubble then hear Godzilla's roar as it cuts to black.

The joint sequel is kind of a Destroy All Monsters scenario with Ghidora as the main kaiju villain. The Super Jaegers and Godzilla team up and it ends with them shaking hands while the "Punch! Punch! Punch!" song plays!
Old 10-17-13, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't care. PR2 or Hellboy 3. Give me either one or both.
Old 10-17-13, 07:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes to sequel(s). Especially if they introduce Gamera into the universe.
Old 10-17-13, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
This is never going to happen. Writing a script means nothing.
Agree. Writing a script doesn't mean squat unless WB greenlights it. I liked Pacific Rim, but producing a sequel that only made it's money back through international ticket sales is a huge gamble.
Old 10-17-13, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More Pacific Rim. Definitely not going to complain about that.
Old 10-17-13, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Agree. Writing a script doesn't mean squat unless WB greenlights it. I liked Pacific Rim, but producing a sequel that only made it's money back through international ticket sales is a huge gamble.
Warner already said they wouldn't be involved.

Legendary financed most of Pacific Rim, WB footed a minor part of the marketing, and took the international grosses.

As with Hellboy 3, unless Universal (Legendary's new distribution partner) is interested it's not going to happen. - Considering the bath they've taken on most sequel pick ups, like Hellboy 2 and Kick Ass 2, I wouldn't hold my breath.

fitprod
Old 10-17-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
If the Godzilla movie is successful, then I will admit that a PR sequel could be used to set up a crossover. I would have it go down like this:

-Sometime during the credits for Godzilla, we see a UFO that someone alluded to during the movie floating through space. Suddenly it explodes and forms King Ghidora.

-PR 2 deals with other Kaiju, and then during their end credits we see the ocean bubble then hear Godzilla's roar as it cuts to black.

The joint sequel is kind of a Destroy All Monsters scenario with Ghidora as the main kaiju villain. The Super Jaegers and Godzilla team up and it ends with them shaking hands while the "Punch! Punch! Punch!" song plays!
How did you gain access to the Cineplex that exists inside my brain?!
Old 10-20-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Watched PR in 3D on my 55 inch Sony a couple of days ago. Surround sound way up. Still blown away by the level of detail in both the kaiju and the jaegers. Ready for PR2...
Old 10-20-13, 05:37 PM
Banned

There was a shit ton of detail on those Kaiju. When leatherback is checking out Stryker you can even see the skin lice crawling on it. Like that's detail. I've watched a few times now, seeing more and more detail in this thing.

I'd want to see a Japanese and a Brit Jaeger. GDT mentioned a Mexican Jaeger. While I'm slightly against it the more and more I see this film the more I just want to see what kind of designs different countries would have. I LOVED the Russian Jaeger. That fucker was awesome.
Old 03-20-14, 10:10 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Legendary Pictures CEO and Producer Thomas Tull:

I don’t mean to come out with so much skepticism, I’m just curious about Godzilla and Dracula, these beloved properties. Also you had an original with Pacific Rim, I really enjoyed that film a lot and it did incredibly well overseas, and I was just curious what’s the status of the sequel?

TULL: We love being in business with Guillermo and frankly that movie, if you look it up, did I think more business than the first X-Men, did more than Batman Begins, our first movie, did more than Superman Returns, The Fast and the Furious, Star Trek- so for a movie that was an original property that we made up it’s done really well. It did north of 400 million dollars globally and both the home video sales and the merchandise have way over-indexed, so it seems like fans really loved the world. So we’re going to sit down with Guillermo and as long as we think it’s authentic and there’s something to say, we’re certainly open to it.

So when you look at the final products of these films, what’s sort of the satisfaction of working with Guillermo del Toro or Gareth Edwards and seeing that vision coalesce?

TULL: It’s amazing. I’ve been a film geek since I was a little kid and to start with an idea and then get a stack of papers with words on it called a script, then storyboarding the art, and you sit with these guys and now all the sudden it’s a movie, and to see fans reactions to it when you put it out, it’s- you know, there are ups and downs like any other business, but I’ve got to say that when you’re able to work with people like this, whether it’s Gareth or Guillermo or Zack Snyder or Chris Nolan, it’s a privilege to do this and I’ve never lost the awe, the awe factor of just going in and watching peoples reactions to what you’ve spent, in a lot of cases, years working on. That’s a good way to put it, I love what I do and it’s a privilege to do it.
Read more at http://collider.com/godzilla-thomas-...bI8RgZSwoLy.99
Old 03-20-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Yeah, Tull sounds like he's an actual fan of movies, which seems to be more rare these days - and is definitely a comics fanboy. (Considering the output is pretty much Chris Nolan, Zack Snyder movies, Trick r Treat, Pacific Rim, Where the Wild Things Are, Hangover movies, etc; )

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.