Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
2.78%
1.39%
27.78%
38.89%
12.50%
5.56%
2.78%
1.39%
2.78%
0%
1.39%
World War Zzzzzz...
2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

I just watched the extended cut, and wasn't wild about it. Wasn't awful, but just not a movie I'll be adding to my collection.

As an ex-Navy guy, the Antonov An-10 taking off from a US carrier was a bit much. There's no way a Russian Air Force four-engine turboprop of that size would ever be carrier-certified. It is similar in size to the C-130, which, I believe, was carrier tested once in the 1960's to see if it could be done, but was never repeated. Also, a turboprop flight from the mid-Atlantic to South Korea would take one hell of a long time, and require at least one refueling stop.

And the nearly-whispered conversations in the cargo hold, during flight, were laughable.

I also thought the David Morse character was very good, but under utilized.
Old 09-04-13, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I just watched the extended cut, and wasn't wild about it. Wasn't awful, but just not a movie I'll be adding to my collection.

As an ex-Navy guy, the Antonov An-10 taking off from a US carrier was a bit much. There's no way a Russian Air Force four-engine turboprop of that size would ever be carrier-certified. It is similar in size to the C-130, which, I believe, was carrier tested once in the 1960's to see if it could be done, but was never repeated. Also, a turboprop flight from the mid-Atlantic to South Korea would take one hell of a long time, and require at least one refueling stop.

And the nearly-whispered conversations in the cargo hold, during flight, were laughable.

I also thought the David Morse character was very good, but under utilized.
I can believe the carrier stuff as a one time thing in an emegency. Similar to the Doolittle raid when, only once, they flew B-25s(twin engine) off a carrier to bomb Japan. They had to modify the aircraft but it was done.
The long flight they could have had an air to air refueling not shown on screen.
As to the noise level inside the aircraft, I give them artistic license for that.
Old 09-04-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can anyone who saw this theatrically comment on what's different in the UC? I wasn't too hot on this in theaters, but if the UC helps it out (which I'm kinda doubting) then I'd at least give that version a shot.
Old 09-10-13, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, just watched this on Vudu, here some stuff I noticed:

. The chaos in Philly has more closeups of zoms biting people (blood squirts and all). In the pharmacy when the guy with the gun surprises Pitt, Pitt looks down to see someone dead in a pool of blood. Before entering the apartment building, Pitt runs back out to the street to shoot a zombie in the head. The zombie fighting in the apartment building is really good, he actually uses his homemade bayonet a lot. Also lots more brutal head bashing.

When talking to the CIA guy in Korea, the guy rips a tooth out of his mouth (during his story about how the NK's did that to their population).

Lots of bloody bites in the fall of Israel. The hand chop is very much more bloody. Also, after they get on the plane, instead of just seeing the chaos from the plane, we go back down to see more zom attacks and shit blowing up.

Airplane attack is a lot more bloody.

The W.H.O. facility stuff is where you expect it, namely the crowbar to the head. and the surprisingly, after he dislodges it to hit the other zombie into the wall (which now leaves a big splat), he follows up with a pretty cool head stomp.

Overall, feels more like a solid zombie movie not trying to avoid violence.
Old 09-10-13, 03:49 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watchable zombie blockbuster with decent special effects, some effectively tense moments and a solid central performance.
Old 09-16-13, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Finally got to see it. Went in not expecting it to be anything like the book. Really it had 2 references to the book, and one of those was very thin. Anyways not a bad movie, but the ending seemed very rushed. Would of been interested to know what virus they planned on giving everyone and how they planned on giving the antidote (assuming that was the plan). Was the outbreak due to rabies? I seem to remember hearing that at one point but i can't recall.
Old 09-19-13, 01:19 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better than I thought it would be, thats really all I can say about it.
Old 09-19-13, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
Finally got to see it. Went in not expecting it to be anything like the book. Really it had 2 references to the book, and one of those was very thin. Anyways not a bad movie, but the ending seemed very rushed. Would of been interested to know what virus they planned on giving everyone and how they planned on giving the antidote (assuming that was the plan). Was the outbreak due to rabies? I seem to remember hearing that at one point but i can't recall.
Spoiler:
The cure was Meningitis I thought?

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Better than I thought it would be, thats really all I can say about it.
That's my stance, it was a large scale zombie movie which there actually aren't many of, or at least I can't think of any other globe trotting zombie movies - most happen in a low budget location. Regardless, it was entertaining and better than I thought it would be (I was thinking disaster from all the pre-release hype)
Old 09-19-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was no cure, only camouflage.
Old 09-19-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh yeah, that.
Old 09-20-13, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Yea but i thought the point was to camouflage to take them out. Meaning give a disease to everyone (or at least the ones sent in to fight) take the zombies out, then i would think they would give them the antidote to whatever disease they were given to camouflage themselves. I don't recall if they ever named the disease or how easy it would have been to cure.
Old 09-21-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was the outbreak due to rabies? I seem to remember hearing that at one point but i can't recall.
Yes it was but I think that's a reference made in the book. The disease was incorrectly labeled rabies due to the symptoms but not connected.
Old 09-21-13, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was pretty generic, just so incredibly ho hum. It was an effort just to sit through. 2/5
Old 09-22-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 882 Posts

It was better than I expected. A decent popcorn flick, but not worthy of the source material from which it came. The zombies were rather ridiculous -- smart when they needed to be, dumb when they needed to be ... Whatever was convenient for the storyline.

The best news: since they only used the title, there is still plenty of room for a mini-series based on the book. My pick to direct: Ken Burns. Seriously.
Old 09-22-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,230 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
It was better than I expected. A decent popcorn flick, but not worthy of the source material from which it came. The zombies were rather ridiculous -- smart when they needed to be, dumb when they needed to be ... Whatever was convenient for the storyline.

The best news: since they only used the title, there is still plenty of room for a mini-series based on the book. My pick to direct: Ken Burns. Seriously.
Wow, Ken Burns. Boy, I think you're on to something!

Old 09-29-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 786 Likes on 567 Posts

I kept waiting to see zombies rip people to shreds and eating them, but it seems that they only bite people to spread the infection.
Old 09-29-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That would take money to throw that in, they usually don't spend that much to make a PG-13 movie unrated.
Old 09-29-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts

Just watched this the other night. I thought it was fun but flawed. After reading the thread, I can't really disagree with the complaints, but it was still an enjoyable ride.

My biggest complaint is probably the lack of character development. It was just hard to care about anyone. Pitt's family disappeared after the first act and frankly I didn't care if he ever saw them again. It was cool that the movie jumped right into the action, but it severely hampered the development of the characters. Pitt might as well have been single.

Second was the quick cuts and erratic camera movement. The movie appeared to have some cool action but it was hard to tell.

Lastly, it sounds like I really need to read the novel.
Old 09-29-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Wow, Ken Burns. Boy, I think you're on to something!

Think about it. The book was presented in a documentary format. Imagine a Ken Burns' style recounting of the war ...
Old 09-30-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 179 Posts

And you can have a zombie Shelby Foote for authenticity.
Old 09-30-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I kept waiting to see zombies rip people to shreds and eating them, but it seems that they only bite people to spread the infection.
Based on the film's premise of what was the cause, it made sense. The Virus wasn't trying to kill people. It was trying to SPREAD AND MULTIPLY via HEALTHY HOSTS.
Old 09-30-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This Honest Trailer sums up the entire movie nicely.

Old 09-30-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Lara Means

fixed embed.

*edit -

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 09-30-13 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lara Means

"Journey with Brad Pitt and the film's screenwriters as they stumble from set piece to set piece!"
LOL, the story of pretty much every blockbuster movie. Apparently production on this thing was a giant mess. The shaky-cam here wasn't quite as irksome as it was in Quantum of Solace, but Forester was clearly trying to string together a mess of a screenplay into a coherent story. It works better than it probably has any right to, but it's kind of unmemorable. I haven't read the book, but apparently it has pretty much nothing in common with the film. I have it sitting by my bedside, I'll have to get to it one of these days.
Old 10-01-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't like this in theaters (my review is buried in here somewhere), but I decided to give it another chance by watching the unrated cut.

Still the same bad movie, only now with a lot of CGI blood. And somehow this is better? Yikes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.