DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/611503-world-war-z-forster-2013-%97-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 06-20-13 04:56 PM

World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"World War Z" (Starring: Brad Pitt, Mireille Enos, James Badge Dale, Matthew Fox, David Morse)

Release Date:
6/21/2013

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense frightening zombie sequences, violence and disturbing images throughout)

Running Time:
116min. (1h. 56m.)

Budget:
$170 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
United Nations employee Gerry Lane traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments, and threatening to destroy humanity itself.

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.4 (35,351 votes as of 6/29/13)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:148 Rotten:72(67% as of 6/29/13)

Metacritic:
62 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 6/29/13)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/72005"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/72005" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="349"></embed></object>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rldwarz2bg.jpg

Osiris3657 06-20-13 06:28 PM

Re: World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

I've been crushing this movie in the other thread for about a year now. That being said I should still see it so I don't come off as hypocritical (plan on buying a ticket to another movie so I don't financially support it). See if it is as bad as I think it'll be. I'm not fooled by that positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Most of these "positive" reviews are calling it "a fun, but forgettable summer blockbuster".

Mr. Salty 06-20-13 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 11738337)
See if it is as bad as I think it'll be.

You'll never admit to liking it, so why bore us by crapping in this thread, too?

Why So Blu? 06-20-13 07:27 PM

Showtime for me is in 4 hours. I'm actually excited.

Shannon Nutt 06-20-13 07:57 PM

I think we're going to see another example of poor marketing here...I had to explain to my parents this week that this was a ZOMBIE movie...they had no idea what the film was about from the advertising they saw. They thought it was about World War III. :)

I'll be SHOCKED if it does better than $50 million this weekend. I'm guessing $40 to $45 million. Not that that's a bad number, but Paramount has sunk $200 million into this thing.

Osiris3657 06-20-13 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 11738388)
You'll never admit to liking it, so why bore us by crapping in this thread, too?

OK Marc Forster :rolleyes: You'll never admit to not liking it, so why bore us by giving a predictable "this was great!" review?

dsa_shea 06-20-13 08:34 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing this. However, a friend of mine saw it last night and basically said it sucked Donkey Kong's dick.

GoldenJCJ 06-20-13 08:42 PM

I'm sitting on the theater right now. Will report back...

SuckaMC 06-20-13 09:02 PM

Looking forward to this!

Jules Winfield 06-20-13 09:18 PM

I don't understand any human being looking forward to this. I see dragging your feet into a theater and hoping for the best but looking forward to it? We'll see I guess.

DJariya 06-20-13 09:42 PM

I don't have any preconceived notions about this movie. Heard there were production problems, but the trailers look cool and I'm a Zombie genre fan. Will try to see it either tomorrow or Saturday.

JumpCutz 06-20-13 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield (Post 11738478)
I don't understand any human being looking forward to this.

I have no interest in this at all. I am interested in reading the feedback though.

Why So Blu? 06-20-13 09:48 PM

I don't understand any human being looking forward to this. I see dragging your feet into a theater and hoping for the best but looking forward to it? We'll see I guess.

Because now that I know it's an action film, with zombies that fit the 28 Days Later mold, it sounds better than what it looked like in those early trailers.

The good reviews help, as well.

Lara Means 06-20-13 10:03 PM

Pg13 and terrible computer generated zombies. I'll skip this shit.

SuckaMC 06-20-13 10:25 PM

Because not everyone is you? I read the book. Enjoyed it. I also know that this will be nothing like it. But as a big big zombie fan, I can't help be excited for the largest budgeted zombie movie of all time. Sue me.

GoldenJCJ 06-20-13 11:35 PM

Just got back from seeing this. I enjoyed it but it definitely has a "reshoot" feeling to it. It felt like a lot of footage was either edited out or reshot and the ending felt really abrupt. The best I can equate it to is Jurassic Park III. There were characters that I felt were going to get more screen time and then just disappeared never to be seen again. Matthew Fox was in this but you'd never know because he plays a nameless soldier who barely even shows his face. I thought he'd be more important to the story.

It definitely plays as an action movie with zombies rather than a full on gory horror flick. It had its share of jump scares and tense moments but it played up the action more than anything.

Special effects looked a lot better than they did in the trailers. I think by adding actual actors around the cgi zombies it helped diffuse the muddled "zombie mass" effects. The zombies had a very animalistic way of moving that made them quite frightening.

This feels like they are setting it up as part 1 of a series so in that regard I hope it does well at the B.O. to score a sequel. I don't know though. I'm not sure that word of mouth is going to be exceptionally good.

I still enjoyed the scenes we got and I'd give it a mild recommendation.

DonnachaOne 06-20-13 11:44 PM

WORLD WAR C-.

Like watching video game cutscenes for an hour and a half. Have a friend wake you when Peter Capaldi shows up, it gets better then.

Why So Blu? 06-21-13 02:04 AM

Just got back from our sold out show. It was a lot of fun. Way better than what the trailer showed. These zombies were more like virus/carriers than rotted away corpses, although some of the close-ups did show the level of decay. They were relentless in their attacks on humanity. They were leapers and I think that's what surprised a lot of people. They would straight up tackle fools

I would love to have had an extra 30 minutes, because this is pretty much the "beginning" and considering the budget woes it had I doubt we'll ever get a sequel. Here's hoping the Blu-ray delivers a director's cut or something along those lines.

Anyone notice Matthew Fox up in there? ;)

GoldenJCJ 06-21-13 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 11738710)
Anyone notice Matthew Fox up in there? ;)

Why So Blu? has me on ignore. :(

;)

sye46 06-21-13 03:44 AM

saw it tonight. enjoyed it. it was entertaining. there were some tense moments... but overall it jumped from scene to scene fairly abruptly. B- for me

I still think 28 weeks later is much better than this.

Why So Blu? 06-21-13 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 11738719)
Why So Blu? has me on ignore. :(

;)

Whoops! ;)

Why So Blu? 06-21-13 09:56 AM

Oh, and I also wanted to mention that I really enjoyed the musical score. It was Marco Beltrami and Muse. You could totally tell where the Muse cues came in. It was pretty much a variation of the typical synth score, but it was more of an intense beat as opposed to a more somber one. The end credits have a really killer tune, too.

Mr. Salty 06-21-13 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 11738433)
OK Marc Forster :rolleyes: You'll never admit to not liking it, so why bore us by giving a predictable "this was great!" review?

I'm not even sure yet that I'm going to go see it at all, so no. But if I do I'm going to man up and pay for it.

slop101 06-21-13 10:49 AM

A PG-13 zombie movie? Fuck you!

Jules Winfield 06-21-13 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by SuckaMC (Post 11738532)
Because not everyone is you? I read the book. Enjoyed it. I also know that this will be nothing like it. But as a big big zombie fan, I can't help be excited for the largest budgeted zombie movie of all time. Sue me.

I know everyone is not me. I was using hyperbole to express how disinterested I am in this movie. It's just a thing Internet people do. As a big big zombie fan, it fills me with dread. PG-13 zombie movie? Not for me. Horrible looking CGI zombies(judging from the trailers)? I'm just shrugging at the whole thing. Can it prove me wrong? Definitely but where I'm coming from, it's got major hurdles to overcome. I'm not gonna sue you but I will hold you accountable if I see this movie and hate it.