Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
2.78%
1.39%
27.78%
38.89%
12.50%
5.56%
2.78%
1.39%
2.78%
0%
1.39%
World War Zzzzzz...
2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
And then he has the big piece of shrapnel that impaled him removed and he's just fine hours after?
I'd have to watch it again, but I'm reasonably certain that it was said Gerry was unconscious for several days at the WHO facility.

Last edited by CaptainMarvel; 06-30-13 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Fixing quote tags
Old 06-30-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,821 Likes on 2,738 Posts

The guys at the WHO said he was out for 3 days. So he didn't just magically recover.
Old 06-30-13, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Well I saw it so I wouldn't be called a hypocrite for crushing a movie I haven't seen. Needless to say I had low expectations going in. Was it better than I thought it'd be? Sure, but that's faint praise. At least it wasn't boring and Pitt was good.
Some other general thoughts:

-that CGI was just pitiful. What effects studio worked on this? The same terrible team that did "I Am Legend"? I've seen CGI from the 90's that were better than this.
-"superhuman" zombies that can run extremely fast (except when chasing Brad Pitt and crew), can jump insanely high, and have superhuman strength suck. I don't like it. I don't want to hear the argument that slow zombies are "boring". If you're a good director, you can make an exciting and tension filled zombie movie with traditional zombies.
-Zombie movies need to be violent. There needs to be blood and gore. It's just part of the zombie mystique.
-The plane crash. Gerry not only survives that brutal crash, but he just so happens to crash within WALKING distance of the world health organization facility? How the hell did he even know where he was and which way to go? And then he has the big piece of shrapnel that impaled him removed and he's just fine hours after? Such lazy writing.
-the clicking of the teeth by the zombies was really, really lame.

If this movie weren't associated with the book I'd describe it as an entertaining but by the numbers action movie....but because it IS associated with the book, it's not good. A much better movie (or rather ideally, a television series through HBO) could have been made based on the source material.

Grade: C-
So it's a worse film cuz it's a shit adaptation?
Old 06-30-13, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts

Saw it yesterday and thought it was okay. I didn't hate it as I haven't read the book, but my understanding is it had little in common other than the title and premise. I think this movie might have been better in the hands of someone like Wolfgang Petersen as opposed to Marc Forster, who they seem to be hellbent on making an action director.
What was it about the end that they changed from test screenings? Anyone have any insight? Just curious.
Old 06-30-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,230 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it yesterday and thought it was okay. I didn't hate it as I haven't read the book, but my understanding is it had little in common other than the title and premise. I think this movie might have been better in the hands of someone like Wolfgang Petersen as opposed to Marc Forster, who they seem to be hellbent on making an action director.
What was it about the end that they changed from test screenings? Anyone have any insight? Just curious.
post 61

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-thread-3.html
Old 06-30-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The guys at the WHO said he was out for 3 days. So he didn't just magically recover.
As if 3 days makes it anymore believable that was a serious fucking injury he seemed to be OK from after 3 days. He was running around and swinging a tire iron pretty comfortably.
Old 06-30-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw it and I've read Max Brook's first book. Really liked it. Went with a big group and everyone else liked it too.

The last "traditional" zombie movie I saw was Diary of the Dead which was 1000% a disappointment.
Old 07-05-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw this today. Really enjoyed it, but it was painfully obvious that it was neutered for PG-13. But good news though!

http://www.movie-censorship.com/news_en.php?ID=5646
Old 07-06-13, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw it today. A completely disposable action movie with very few redeeming qualities. It felt like the highly-abridged version of a much longer and more expansive story. All we got was Brad Pitt hopping from place to place just in time to witness a key moment and then hop out safely again. It's quite possibly the most bloodless movie about the end of the world ever made, with or without zombies.

In summary: Yawn!
Old 07-07-13, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this the other day and liked it a lot.
I do like the fact that it just got on with the story but in that it just seemed loads were cut.
I read on imdb that a scene of the wife having an affair with someone on the ship. Normally imdb info on such things you ignore but I did notice a scene that looked like it was going that way.

It would have been interesting to see the Russia scenes but I will be getting the bluray.

The only bit that quite annoyed me was that changing planes. One minute it's a Hercules and then its a Russian plane painted gray. Very annoying.
I'm not a huge fan of 3-D but after seeing a trailer for it in 3-D I glad I saw it that way. Loved some of the helicopter attack seconds in Isreal.
Old 07-07-13, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this the other day and liked it a lot.
I do like the fact that it just got on with the story but in that it just seemed loads were cut.
I read on imdb that a scene of the wife having an affair with someone on the ship. Normally imdb info on such things you ignore but I did notice a scene that looked like it was going that way.

It would have been interesting to see the Russia scenes but I will be getting the bluray.

The only bit that quite annoyed me was that changing planes. One minute it's a Hercules and then its a Russian plane painted gray. Very annoying.
I'm not a huge fan of 3-D but after seeing a trailer for it in 3-D I glad I saw it that way. Loved some of the helicopter attack seconds in Isreal.
Old 07-07-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Saw this today and I liked it a lot. I was suprised by how much.

One thing that shocked me was how well the fast Z's worked in this. Because when I saw the first trailers I thought for sure it would take away from the film.
Old 07-08-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

World War Z does not waste much time at all getting into the action, which I liked. Even so, it took a little time for me to really get into the movie or know the characters. From the midpoint of the movie onwards though, especially the third act, I was hooked. Marc Forster does a nice job of creating suspense and the makeup / actions of the zombies were actually really solid and scary. I could see the ending seeming a little bit cheesy / cop-out for some people, but I thought it worked well. I generally am not into zombie movies, but World War Z did a nice job of keeping me entertained and is an overall good movie. Recommend checking it out.

I should add that a unlike most other movies which I feel are too long and drawn-out. I felt like World War Z would have been improved with another 30-45 minutes.
Old 07-10-13, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went in with low expectations but was really impressed. I liked it alot. And the more I thought about it, I liked it even more. I liked the POV of trying to figure out the "virus" rather than just mayhem. The initial Dr was great and so was his demise. Brad and his family really impressed as someone who had one mighty concern. The initial outbreak in Philly was well done capturing the chaos in something like that.

I would be in for another one. Including the battle of Moscow.

It was really not a zombie movie, it was more like contagion with more biting. A refreshing POV of how the world would react.
Old 07-11-13, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 418 Likes on 314 Posts

I liked it, too. I feel bad that I'm not posting a few paragraphs about how bad the CGI was (it wasn't) or complaining about the clicking zombie teeth or the bad adaptation of the book.

Definite day one purchase.
Old 07-11-13, 01:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
I went in with low expectations but was really impressed. I liked it alot. And the more I thought about it, I liked it even more. I liked the POV of trying to figure out the "virus" rather than just mayhem. The initial Dr was great and so was his demise. Brad and his family really impressed as someone who had one mighty concern. The initial outbreak in Philly was well done capturing the chaos in something like that.

I would be in for another one. Including the battle of Moscow.

It was really not a zombie movie, it was more like contagion with more biting. A refreshing POV of how the world would react.
didn't I see a scene in a recent trailer alluding to the upcoming battle where Brad Pitt's character says to some military person he needs to get into Russia?
Old 07-11-13, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, the trailer said "How do I get into Russia" to the Mossad Agent, and the response was Russia is a Black Hole.

They still have to deal with the zombie threat; they've only temporally dealt with it and I assume they'll want to cure it once and for all, which mean finding Patient Zero. The Battle of Russia can play into that.
Old 07-11-13, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Yup, the trailer said "How do I get into Russia" to the Mossad Agent, and the response was Russia is a Black Hole.

They still have to deal with the zombie threat; they've only temporally dealt with it and I assume they'll want to cure it once and for all, which mean finding Patient Zero. The Battle of Russia can play into that.
I know in the film he asked about getting into India and the guy said it was a black hole.
Old 07-13-13, 10:17 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Finally saw it. It all worked for me. I hated the part when the crowd behind of wall in Jerusalem got too loud, and no one was watching the wall. Other than that I thought it all worked. This movie proved to me you can make thrilling and at time scary/disturbing zombie movie without an R rating.
Old 07-13-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

I watched this today, too.

This was alright. It's always fun to see a journey through the zombie infested world. I liked the angle of tracking down the virus.

Here's what's frustrating... A lot of it felt like they were trudging through an unoriginal zombie movie. But the source material, which was properly licensed by Plan B, is so different and and so much better. If they couldn't do an "Interview With a Vampire" thing, they could at least had had Brad Pitt's character immersed in some of the situations. The book is also "after the fact" recounts and reporting on the event.

So, I guess, I'm still waiting for World War Z to become a movie.
Old 07-14-13, 01:08 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I try not to read books that have movie deals in the making. It's mainly recent books/series that get turned into movies. I find that if I have read a book first, then see the movie, I tend to be disappointed with the movie. If I see the movie first, then I read the book, I tend to be able to appreciate both for what they are, and not compare them unfairly. It sounds like stupid logic, but it tends to work for me.

I'm sure World War Z is a good novel, but had I read the book first, I guess I've gotten to the point in my life where I just have to watch it for what it is, and not what it isn't, in this case like the novel.
Old 07-14-13, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,230 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I try not to read books that have movie deals in the making. It's mainly recent books/series that get turned into movies. I find that if I have read a book first, then see the movie, I tend to be disappointed with the movie. If I see the movie first, then I read the book, I tend to be able to appreciate both for what they are, and not compare them unfairly. It sounds like stupid logic, but it tends to work for me.

I'm sure World War Z is a good novel, but had I read the book first, I guess I've gotten to the point in my life where I just have to watch it for what it is, and not what it isn't, in this case like the novel.
Read the book. It's awesome. So is the film.
Old 09-03-13, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Saw this today. Really enjoyed it, but it was painfully obvious that it was neutered for PG-13. But good news though!

http://www.movie-censorship.com/news_en.php?ID=5646
Saw the unrated version at a friend's house (yeah yeah, I know what would normally be said let's just skip that shit)

I haven't seen the theatrical release, but it seemed like there was plenty of blood in the movie, especially when
Spoiler:
hands start coming off
. Unlike the unrated cut of Live Free or Die Hard, this seems like the way the movie was supposed to be from the start, not added in. The movie was much better / more entertaining than I expected and was much better than Will Smith's detour into similar territory (I Am Legend).
Old 09-03-13, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IAL was good movie until the 2 people pop in the film. Once that happens everything is rushed in and finished.
Old 09-03-13, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw the unrated blu-ray. Pretty good action/zombie flick, with just enough science to keep it interesting. In one of the featurettes, the filmmakers talk about how they based the virus' behavior on all natural phenomenon, especially the parasite that takes over certain types of ant colonies and literally forces the ants into perpetuating the parasite species (I'm sure it's on YouTube). Apparently Brad Pitt insisted on keeping it scientifically grounded. I can also see where the budget went. One of the featurettes is about how they closed down the Glasgow city center for 18 days of filming, involving 700 extras, and having to bring in all the American vehicles on transports (they couldn't even drive them there). Add to that the many layers of CGI in post, and that shit adds up fast. And that was just for one 10-minute scene.

To me, it played out like a movie version of the Left 4 Dead video games. They should have gone with that instead of WWZ, which apparently it has little to do with.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.