Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-20, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Hellboy (Theatrical Cut) (2004)

The pacing is a bit slow for me at times but I absolutely enjoy everything else about it.

Love the Cast!
Old 08-22-20, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Good & fascinating with decent amount of action and suspense. Thought-provoking too.
Old 08-22-20, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 729 Likes on 594 Posts

Probably one of the final roles for Peter Fonda.

It was ok thought if you took out the profanity seemed like a made for TV movie though a story worth telling.
Old 08-22-20, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

watched Beetlejuice last night.

Tonight im watching the old Day of the Dead movie
Old 08-23-20, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Head - The Monkees. Not as bad as I expected, and in hindsight, a fitting end to their excellent run, although in the end, the film was a failure. But one can ask, what would you have done?
Old 08-23-20, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,023 Likes on 631 Posts

Resolution (2012) - I watched The Endless a couple of years ago because I had seen and liked Spring. I only later learned about this earlier movie by the same directing team, and that there is some crossover in the stories of Resolution and The Endless.

I liked it. It is a slow burn and I can imagine the "resolution" won't feel satisfying for some viewers, but I like the tone of slight dread that ever so gradually increases until the end. And I like that it doesn't--for the most part--rely on typical horror movie cliches like jump scares and overly intrusive musical cues. I'm going to have to watch The Endless again now that I have better context for certain scenes.

Old 08-23-20, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JANK
Head - The Monkees. Not as bad as I expected, and in hindsight, a fitting end to their excellent run, although in the end, the film was a failure. But one can ask, what would you have done?
I thought Head was awesome. Very psychedelic, which I think was really pushed by Jack Nicholson. In fact, I like Head way more than the Beatle's A Hard Day's Night...
The following users liked this post:
JANK (08-23-20)
Old 08-23-20, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,629 Posts

Class Action (1991)

I watched this last night on the Starz streaming service. I had not seen it since VHS back when it came out. Back then I was a kid in high school and barely paid attention to the plot, so I remembered nothing about it.

Fast forward to 2020. Overall, I liked it. Really good cast with Gene Hackman, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Laurence Fishburne. It's a very dialogue driven legal drama. The plot is a little hard to follow at times, but from what I gather, it was about a father and daughter on opposing sides of a major multi-million dollar case and later trying to reconcile their dysfunctional relationship.

I don't think this movie was very popular when it came out 29 years ago, so I don't know how many of you have seen or heard of it. Overall, I'd give it a B. Hackman was solid in this. And I forgot how really pretty ME Mastrantonio was back in the 1990s.
Old 08-23-20, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seven - Just as awesome as the past several times I've watched it. Great atmosphere. Absolutely amazing script (I own a book that has Andrew Kevin Walker's screenplays for this and 8MM, along with a really great interview with Walker; I'd highly recommend). And top-notch acting and directing. While I'd still go with Zodiac as my favorite Fincher movie, this is a really close second. This one is just a classic movie. One of those ones if you know someone that hasn't watched it, you refuse to spoil anything and just want to sit down and watch it with them to see their reaction.

Fargo - Remains in my top three movies of all-time (the others would be The Goonies, obviously, and John Carpenter's The Thing). Just perfect. The script was fantastic and the direction was just perfectly in alignment with the writing. And the acting? Pretty masterful all around. I can't really imagine any other actors playing those roles. I still watch this probably 3-4 times a year and it never bores me. Even if I try doing something like a crossword and just put this on in the background, I always end up turning my full attention to the movie.

Dante's Peak - I've already said how much I like this movie before so I don't have much to add. Just a great disaster movie, miles better than Volcano...and miles better than most disaster movies, in general, in my mind. Also tuned into the Making-Of documentary on the Blu-Ray and it's a really great watch...If you're a fan, it's well-worth your time...
Old 08-23-20, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

San Andreas (2015) — Solid enough, if not overly long, disaster movie. Dwayne Johnson is... well Dwayne Johnson but has more than enough charisma to carry this and never a bad thing having BOTH Carla Gugino and Alexandra Daddario either. Some of the effects were pretty good, others a bit iffy however. Still, I enjoy these disaster movies and while it doesn't measure up to The Poseidon Adventure or The Towering Inferno, it's entertaining nonetheless. ***½/*****
Old 08-23-20, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot how good this was and first time watching it in HD.

I thought it would be in the 90's ( 85 with audience scores and 78 with critics though it won several Oscars) at Rotten Tomatoes or the historical inaccuracies or Mel's behavior over the years dropped the score.
Old 08-23-20, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was not that bad and Dakota finds a way to be likeable even with her wooden acting.

Ice Cube had some great lines.
Old 08-23-20, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,023 Likes on 631 Posts

Vox Lux - Strange movie. interesting tone. I didn't know anything about it going in. Portman was good, but maybe there should have been more of her.
Old 08-24-20, 01:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

AMISH GRACE (2010)

A complex exploration of the nature of forgiveness. After a man slaughters a group of schoolchildren in an Amish community and then takes his own life members of that community immediately rally around his widow and forgive the dead man for what he did. Other voices react with incredulity to this and the film explores the nature of faith and forgiveness in a prosaic but not cloying way.

A difficult topic handled well. So many would find it easy to just direct hated towards those who had taken their children in such a violent way. To forgive is much harder. As an anti-theist I certainly do not support the religious framework behind this but understand the power in forgiving rather than responding with further aggression.

7/10.
Old 08-24-20, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

I Am Vengeance: Retaliation (2020) — Poorly made, and horribly written, action-thriller might have some okay fight scenes, but it's awfully repetitive with the bad guy (Vinnie Jones) getting captured a few times only to get away. The acting is piss-poor led way by Stu Bennett whose acting has not gotten any better from the previous movie. In terms of former wrestlers-turned-actors, Jon Cena may not be a great actor, at least he has charisma... Vinnie Jones is playing the same sort of antagonists in these DTV flicks and the supporting cast was forgettable.

What should have been a simple action film about a team capturing a big baddie, which is how it was initially set up, turns into a sluggish, fractured and clunky film that had a difficult time filling in an already short 80-minute running time. */*****
Old 08-24-20, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Head
was a trip. I've been looking to see that again. Where did you find it, or do you own it on disc?

50 First Dates.
A little disturbing and sad for a romcom (and Rob Schneider's character would definitely be recast today) but Sandler wasn't a total goofball and I like Drew Barrymore and the guy who played her dad Pretty good. My wife used to work in a facility like that and worked with many people who had severe brain injuries and disorders similar to Lucy's. A local farm does outdoor Movie Nights where they play old stuff and they show the movie out in their goat pasture, so before and during the movie you're surrounded by a bunch of baby goats (and a few older ones). We both had a great time. The goats weren't shy at all.
Old 08-24-20, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Head
was a trip. I've been looking to see that again. Where did you find it, or do you own it on disc?

50 First Dates.
A little disturbing and sad for a romcom (and Rob Schneider's character would definitely be recast today) but Sandler wasn't a total goofball and I like Drew Barrymore and the guy who played her dad Pretty good. My wife used to work in a facility like that and worked with many people who had severe brain injuries and disorders similar to Lucy's. A local farm does outdoor Movie Nights where they play old stuff and they show the movie out in their goat pasture, so before and during the movie you're surrounded by a bunch of baby goats (and a few older ones). We both had a great time. The goats weren't shy at all.
I own Head on disc. It's part of that awesome BBS Story Boxset that Criterion released a while back. There's a bunch of other great movies in that boxset, including Drive, He Said, The King of Marvin Gardens, Easy Rider, The Last Picture Show, and Five Easy Pieces...One of the best boxsets they've ever released...
Old 08-24-20, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is on Netflix streaming.

Brooklyn Decker had some really nasty jokes in this
Old 08-24-20, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Rewatching for the first time in forever. It's still pretty bad, but pre-Bond Brosnan is pretty good in it.
Old 08-25-20, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Vox Lux - Strange movie. interesting tone. I didn't know anything about it going in. Portman was good, but maybe there should have been more of her.
I loved this movie, especially the incredibly troubling opening section...And I thought Willem Dafoe was the perfect choice for the person to provide the voiceover...I thought he did an amazing job...
Old 08-25-20, 10:50 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 929 Likes on 779 Posts

John Wick 3...just went trough the trilogy and this was actually better the second time around. love me some JW and Keanu (have The Matrix set to go tonight).

Get Out...just a brilliant first horror movie for Jordan Peele and social commentary on the nation, especially now. listening to Peele in the commentary, writing when Obama came into office and why he changed the ending was fascinating. he really is an intelligent and surprisingly great horror filmmaker given his comedic start (Bradley Whitford in one of the extras on the disc even said he was such a fan of Peele's that he would have simply mowed the lawn if he asked him). but, he always loved horror and this and Us (which i need to see again) proves it.
Old 08-25-20, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Back in 2002 when Kevin Hart worked at a beeper store

Old 08-26-20, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 193 Posts

Remo Williams The Adventure Begins
Back in the '80s this was intended to be the beginning of a franchise based on a series of paperback novels. However, they just didn't invest enough into it, -financially or creatively; it has the look and feel of a TV-Movie.
30 years later, it's entertaining and Fred Ward and Joel Grey have a nice rapport, but Grey as a Korean is problematic in Today's enviroment.
Old 08-26-20, 06:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

MONEY PLANE (2020)

Ambition is important in film making and it is always reassuring to see film-makers pushing as hard as they can against their budgets to produce something creative and dynamic. Unfortunately those behind Money Plane found themselves somewhat defeated by lack of funds.

Their name actors including Kelsey Grammar, Denise Richards and Thomas Jane all look like they did a single day’s filming at individual locations. Like a number of Bruce Willis’ recent films the leads have their scenes spread across the movie but over relatively few scenes and single locations to make their involvement appear more extensive than it actually was. I would be very surprised if Denise Richards shot her role in more than a few hours.

An art gallery exterior is clearly some kind of poorly maintained transport depot and its interior (and several others in the film) are standard rooms dressed up with a few drapes to obscure unwanted details. Much of the plot takes place inside a plane interior set which looks like one of those frequently rented interiors seen in many Hollywood lensed films and TV series of recent decades.

That said the plot mechanics are reasonably well executed and there are some effective action sequences involving close-up fights in confined areas that bring to mind the editing style and effectiveness of the train compartment fight in From Russia With Love (1963).

A strain of very dark humour also runs through the film, with the outcome of a Russian roulette game, a graphic description of one of the things the gamblers can bet on and a misunderstanding between villain and henchman as to intent being especially smile-inducing.

Much of the acting is adequate if not exceptional and Kelsey Grammar in particular devolves into a shouting, self-declamatory approach when it is not really needed. Katrina Norman is especially good as one of the crew assembled to take down the Money Plane and is an actor I will look out for in the future.

With a brisk running time of 82 minutes this mostly overcomes its budget limitations to be a fun and darkly comic action adventure. As an ambitious B-grade film I found it mostly very satisfying.

Old 08-26-20, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still not convinced Kodi Smit-McPhee and Asa Butterfield are two separate actors.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.