Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Tank Girl (1995)

They did try very hard to make it zany and energetic (as it seems was the comic book) but its all very flashy over fleshy. Gets annoying after a while.
Story of post apocalyptic world where big corporation wants control over all the water supplies but duo of super chicks (amphetamined Lori Petty and nerdy Naomi Watts) together with man-kangaroo mutants will fight it.
Old 12-03-18, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mr Moto's Last Warning (1939)

Like Charlie Chan films, Mr Moto's were full of stereotypes and cliches about asians in general. Couldn't make them nowadays but they have a certain charm of yore.
Supersleuth Mr Moto (Peter Lorre) prevents unknown powers and their spies from blowing up allied convoy entering the mediterannean.
Old 12-03-18, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Animal Kingdom (2008)

Very nice and slow australian film about a disfunctional family of crooks and a teenager who ends up caught in their twisted machinations and dirty businesses. I bought that in a big box of DVD cheapies and was pleasantly surprised. Reminescent of work by british director Andrea Arnold (Fish Tank, Red Road)
Old 12-03-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Day (2012)

Cheapy post-apocalyptic film about a group of survivors fighting off cannibals. Not completely awful but nothing to write home about.
Old 12-03-18, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Life (2016)
Interesting but not totally engrossing biopic of rising star James Dean and his meeting with Life photographer Dennis Stock during the last months of Dean's life. Can't say the actors were oozing with charisma but they did a decent portrayal of the two artists. I prefered Anton Corbijn's film about Joy Division (Control).
Old 12-03-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Cavern (2006)

After the success of australian 'The Descent', Hollywood had to come up with its version of speleological horror. NOt as good but watchable if you're in the mood.
Old 12-03-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Throw Down (2005)

Interesting but a bit confusing Johnnie To film about a duo of judo fighters and their singer friend in modern day Hong Kong. Some nice moments but the characters get a bit bizarre (as does the story) towards the end.
Old 12-03-18, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Halloween (2018)

Nothing new nor original in this sequel. Not awful by any means but not worth the 12$ I paid at the cinema. I had to laugh when towards the end
Spoiler:
Curtis' character who has been training all her life to protect herself from maniacs, leans against the front door with windows thinking she will be safe from Michael who is right outside!
Old 12-03-18, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991)

Amusing to see Lundgren taking himself so seriously in this mostly tacky '48 hours' for martial arts fans. Apart from Tia Carrere naked, not much redeeming value
Old 12-03-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chained Heat 2 (1993)

I guess by the end of the 80s the exploitation film was pretty much dead. They tried a few revival - as in this case - but it now felt self-conscious as pure exploitation of women (which they were) and they became too clean. Which might be a good thing socially and morally but made for pretty tame women in prison films. Brigitte Nielsen was an awful actress too!
Old 12-03-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pickpocket (1959)

Although I recognize Robert Bresson's role in creating a different kind of cinema I still can't suffer most of his films. Here, a lost young man tries his hand at picking pockets but after a brief career gets caught by the police. Luckily he met a nice girl in the meantime who will wait for his release from prison.
Old 12-03-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Hulk. I actually love this underrated Ang Lee movie. I love the direction and Lee's use of split-screen (feels very comic-booky, obviously), and I love the performances by Bana, Connelly, Elliott, and Nolte. It's a tad long, but I thought it did a great job of handling Hulk's origin story. Were it not for Ruffalo (who pretty much owns the role and is awesome in it), I think Bana would've been great had he continued in the role of Hulk...I was also surprised in that I think the CGI actually holds up really well...And the Danny Elfman score, while a little derivative (for some reason, I keep thinking of the Alien movies when I listen to it), works quite well...
Old 12-03-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
While I agree with your overall assessment of Taking Woodstock (I actually loved it the first time I saw it, but in subsequent views I've found it to be a bit boring), that scene where Demetri Martin is at the press conference high on pot makes me laugh every time...I thought he was perfect in that scene...I also liked Ang Lee's use of split-screen in that movie, even though I'm not a giant fan of the movie itself...He was obviously trying to pay homage to Woodstock, and in that respect I think he did a decent job...I also thought the actors who played Martin's parents were really, really good...
You should check out Dean with Demetri Martin and Gillian Jacobs. It was better than Taking Woodstock.
Old 12-03-18, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
You should check out Dean with Demetri Martin and Gillian Jacobs. It was better than Taking Woodstock.
Never heard of that, I'll check it out. Thanks for the head's up...
Old 12-04-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Clear and Present Danger. Hadn't seen this in years. A little underrated, in my mind. This is a great political thriller/action movie, and Ford and Willem Dafoe are both excellent. And even at just over two hours, it actually doesn't feel that long. The direction is good. The score is good. I think the movie holds up really well. It's just a solid movie, all around.

Blackhat. Liked this more upon a second viewing, but it's still lesser Michael Mann, and hardly lives up to the great movies he was once churning out. Hemsworth is pretty good in his role. John Ortiz is always welcome. I didn't mind the digital video-look as much this time around, even though I still would've preferred film. The movie did a decent job of making a bunch of characters sitting in front of computer screens and "hacking" exciting. Only real big drawback is that the movie got pretty far-fetched towards the ending...
Old 12-04-18, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is rare when a movie is 1 hr and 18 minutes.
Old 12-04-18, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Moneyball. Love reading every Michael Lewis book, but was honestly surprised when this one was made into a movie. Didn't see how they could do it. But they did a damn good job. Loved Brad Pitt as Billy Beane. And Jonah Hill was great as his sidekick (Philip Seymour Hoffman was also awesome as the obstinate manager). It's just a great movie. Happy to finally own this Blu-Ray...
Old 12-04-18, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Piranha II: The Spawning. Okay, I actually loved this "B movie". I thought it was great. Lance Henricksen was great (albeit, one questionable character decision). I thought the movie worked, and is an adequate follow-up to Joe Dante's original movie. Had heard horrible things about this movie, but I just don't get that. It's a good movie. Maybe not an all-time great one, but a good one. The Scream Factory disc also looked great.

Last edited by Goonies85; 12-06-18 at 11:26 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-05-18, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was funny and Stanley Tucci did a great job directing.

Clemence Poesy is also in this.

Spoiler:
He could never finish the painting
Old 12-06-18, 12:24 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Hearts Beat Loud

Very John Carney-light but still enjoyable.
Old 12-06-18, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Offerman was great in that movie

Sutherland and Mirren gave good performances though if you have older parents with Alzheimers or cancer it might be hard to watch.

Spoiler:
The ending was sad or maybe happy depending on your viewpoint.
Old 12-06-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69

Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991)

Amusing to see Lundgren taking himself so seriously in this mostly tacky '48 hours' for martial arts fans. Apart from Tia Carrere naked, not much redeeming value
Don't forget the naked blonde getting decapitated by Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa,

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 12-07-18 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-06-18, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mission: Impossible - Fallout. Surprisingly, I wasn't a fan of this. Just too many little plot-holes/convenient coincidences that drove me crazy. I've never been a giant fan of the series, but I actually prefer the previous two movies to this one. Very disappointing.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado. Wasn't expecting much from this, but was pleasantly surprised. It's not a great movie, but it's a good one. Not quite as good as the first one (which I still had issues with; mainly Emily Blunt's character and the way she was written), but Brolin and del Toro were both good. Decent movie, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price when it came out; it's more of a $5.00 or $10.00 bin movie, so wait til you have the opportunity to get it at that price point.

Che: Part One. Finally getting around to watching the Soderbergh two-parter. Finished the first part. It's okay, but it's not a good sign that the first part already felt like it was like four hours long, and now I got Part Two to watch, which is another two+ hours...Del Toro is good, and I liked seeing Edgar Ramirez (he's good in pretty much everything he does)...Didn't even realize Oscar Isaac was in the movie until the credits rolled...Whoever he played, it did NOT look like him...Probably finishing Part Two tonight...But I'm taking a break for now to watch the end of the Blackhawks/Golden Knights game...
Old 12-07-18, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Che: Part Two. Liked this one a little bit more than Part One. It's a solid, albeit depressing movie. Benicio gives a helluva performance in this one. And Matt Damon has a little cameo. It's a good movie, but overall the movies were not that great. They're okay. Soderbergh has done much better work.
Old 12-07-18, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69

Animal Kingdom (2008)

Very nice and slow australian film about a disfunctional family of crooks and a teenager who ends up caught in their twisted machinations and dirty businesses. I bought that in a big box of DVD cheapies and was pleasantly surprised. Reminescent of work by british director Andrea Arnold (Fish Tank, Red Road)
One of my absolute favourite movies. Sullivan Stapleton and Ben Mendehslon (spelling?) were fantastic, as was Joel Edgerton. Too bad the director's follow-up, The Rover wasn't quite as good (even though it was still a decent movie). I'm actually going to start watching the TV series soon...And Guy Pearce was excellent in his role...Also loved the score in this movie...And the actress that played the mom was superb...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.