Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-19, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

What a Girl Wants - Netflix. I had forgot how charming this film is, and what a cast. It looks great in HD. Amanda Bynes needs to get herself back on the big screen as she is just wonderful in this film.
Old 06-06-19, 02:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beverly Hills Cop - Its fun dosent seem overly dated but here and there it does
Beverly Hills Cop 2 - Brigitte Nelson just cant act, she was a big distraction for this one. but it was still fun
Beverly Hills Cop 3 - My favorite of the three, its just dorky fun and the Ray Harryhausen and George Lucas cameos are great
Detective Pikachu - Really great fun film. I thought it was going to be a dumb premise but it worked really well. love it
Rebel Without A Cause - Been a James Dean fan every since i was a kid and saw this movie in the 90s and it's still top notch. Its a shame he only got to do three films. Also kinda creepy all 3 leads died horrible deaths
Old 06-06-19, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I watched X-Men Dark Phoenix movie just last night.

Its pretty good but gets weird
Spoiler:
shapeshifting aliens from outer space that want the cosmic force which is also from outer space.

Last edited by urrutiap; 06-06-19 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

revenge of the creature (1955)

Sequel to excellent 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' is not at all as good. Stuff seems pretty re-heated. This time the creature gets captured by an oceanic park and falls for the pretty scientist studying it. Hilarious scene with a young Clint Eastwood trying to play a lab assistant in a natural way. But his woody acting that fitted roles like Dirty Harry or the Man with No Name is just awful here.
Old 06-06-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
What a Girl Wants - Netflix. I had forgot how charming this film is, and what a cast. It looks great in HD. Amanda Bynes needs to get herself back on the big screen as she is just wonderful in this film.
Amanda Bynes needs to get back on the big screen?

She could not act for shit.
Old 06-06-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nazareth: No Means of Escape

Show + Documentary of old rockers still clinging to past fame. I didn't watch the show as it seemed pretty sad - there were like 50 people in the audience. Very small venue and they never showed the public - but I was interested by the documentary. It's quite low budget - the 2 remaining members sitting in chairs and telling the story with pictures on top of their voice - but the guys were friendly. Plus I like music documentaries even of bands I don't follow.
Old 06-06-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It premiered on Showtime

If you wished Mena Suvari could do a lesbian scene in a movie or play a lesbian you get your wish.

Spoiler:
The main character's mom catches her daughter screwing Mena in her bedroom with a strap on.
Old 06-06-19, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Story of Megadeth

Story? Bollocks! I thought I would learn about this band which I knew nothing about (except the guy getting fired from Metallica before they made it big) but its a rather pathetic thing: two old tv interviews (one taken from a morning show at that!) and some live songs from recent mega event where the sound is awful. I had to go read Wiki after watching this to learn about the band!
Old 06-06-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Creep (2004)

Pretty cheap British horror film set in the underground of London. A woman (Franka Potente of 'Run Lola Run' fame) falls asleep on a station's bench and misses the closing of the metro and is thus locked for the night in the underground. Slowly things get bizarre until she is stalked by a cave-dwelling killer mutant who has lived all his life in these tunnels. Similarly themed 70s film 'Raw Meat' with Donald Pleasance was way better.
Old 06-06-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crash (1996)

Didn't improve after second viewing. I had seen it in the cinema when it came out because the controversy made it seem interesting but its just pseudo-deep shit about people getting aroused sexually by car crashes and maimed bodies. All sorts of analysis are out there on the net but from my point of view it's just an empty 'weird is cool' kind of film. I don't mind bizarre one bit but this felt self-conscious and lacked any real profoundness.
Old 06-07-19, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Master Smut (or should it be Lord Smut!?), in the motus operandi of this thread it says you have to write a little something about each film you post. It can be just a note or a one word description. It gives others a chance to comment on it. If you prefer not to, which is also legitimate, there's another thread with just 'title-dropping'.
Appreciate it when contributors also mention the film title in the text.
Sometimes search this thread to see others' opinions and if the film title isn't mentioned the comments do not appear in the search results.
Old 06-07-19, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Assault on Precinct 13 - The original version. Love this movie. And especially love the score. Have my Blu-Ray copy signed by John Carpenter himself (met him at the Calgary Comic-Con). Pretty much just a perfect movie. Basically watch this once or twice per year...

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)

Only have the first DVD release but even on that Carpenter's score sounds great. When the title sequence began I started to get up, but quickly sat down and ended up replaying the opening score 3 times before proceeding to the film. Must sound even better in DTS on the Blu.

Last edited by Hstrybuff1; 06-07-19 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-07-19, 12:37 AM

Sage Femme (The Midwife, 2017)

A free-spirited woman (Catherine Deneuve) diagnosed with cancer re-connects with the staid daughter (Catherine Frot) of a former lover who committed suicide when she left him 30 years earlier. So-so drama with a few poignant moments.
Old 06-07-19, 12:50 AM

The Sixth Sense (1999)

A well-regarded child psychologist (Bruce Willis) tries to help a sensitive boy (Haley Joel Osment) who is troubled by encounters with people from the spirit world. My favorite among M. Night Shyamalan's tales, and still stands up well 20 years its release imo.
Old 06-07-19, 01:02 AM

Jacob's Ladder (1990)

After being bayoneted in a Nam firefight a veteran (Tim Robbins) is plagued by frightening images, hallucinations, and increasing uncertainty about the reality of his civilian life. A film I appreciate more each time I re-watch.
Old 06-07-19, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Adventures in Babysitting

This is one of those movies that I'd never buy, but I'd absolutely watch if on TV. It almost always improves my mood.
Old 06-07-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Satan's Slave (1976) — Trippy British horror-thriller has its moments and seeing Michael Gough in a villanous role was fun, but the acting from the lead actress was rather bad, or I should say, bland. 3.0/5
Old 06-07-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how I missed this and did not know or forgot it existed.

Paul Dano directed it. Bill Camp was also in it.

Spoiler:
Jake is not in most of the film after he leaves to become a firefighter.
Old 06-07-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't judge

I wish I had a dog like the one that played Odie in the film.
Old 06-08-19, 12:11 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I saw Poms at the drive in theater earlier tonight.

It was a funny decent movie. Its pretty much an old woman version of Old School a little bit
Old 06-08-19, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
First Man (2018)

I guess it didn't succeed because Armstrong wasn't a very charismatic nor sympathetical man and makes for apoor hero. But nonetheless, I liked Chazelle's take on that story, showing us more the family side and what price all his entourage has to pay for his dedication. The in-capsule scenes were quite stressfully shot. It must have been nice on the big screen.
Thought the film had done reasonably well -- it had an extended run here. Saw it near the end of its run and there were only 2 empty seats at the 7:30 pm showing.
Was not overly impressed seeing it on the big screen, but my expectations may have been too high -- or perhaps the 3D version was more impressive.
Old 06-08-19, 12:07 PM

Apollo 11 (2019)

Wow. Excellent 93 minute documentary chronicling the Apollo 11 mission from a few days before launch through to the astronauts' release from quarantine. Includes some impressive 65 mm footage apparently never seen in other docs. Audio consists entirely of TV broadcast and NASA voice recordings, which makes it feel as though one is watching the events in real-time..

The film had a limited one-week release in IMAX theaters earlier this year. If given wider release to mark the mission's 50th anniversary it will be well worth seeing on the big screen imo.

Last edited by Hstrybuff1; 06-08-19 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-08-19, 12:20 PM

Election (1999)

Re-watch of a favorite teen comedy. Reese Witherspoon delivers an outstanding performance as an unlikable "goody-two-shoes" character who will stop at nothing to ensure that she achieves each step in her ambitious and carefully planned life.
Old 06-08-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Double Team (1997) — The expression on Rourke's face at the end was fantastic. Everything else was utterly terrible (the confusing plot, acting and the numerous, fucking basketball puns). 2.0/5

My Nights with Susan, Sandra, Olga & Julie (1975) — Still have no idea what I watched exactly, has the questionable actions from characters in these foreign films. The acting was okay I suppose (outside of one scene when Julie "loses" it and trashes a room) but I guess it was worth watching. 3.0/5

Trapped Alive (1988) — Some okay moments, along with the beautiful Sullivan Hester (in her one and only role), but pretty forgettable. 2.75/5
Old 06-08-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The Isle (2019)

Well shot & acted Gothic Horror film.

It does feel longer than its 96-minute run-time as repetition quickly sets in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.