Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 12-07-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 851 Likes on 627 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

I watched Ralph Break the Internet yesterday and I really enjoyed it. 4.25/5
Old 12-07-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Jacob’s Ladder - 4/5

Still creepy after all these years.
Old 12-07-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Zombie (1979) — Not at all a bad zombie flick. Heard a lot about the film over the years, mainly through references by The Cinema Snob, and finally got the chance to watch and was thoroughly entertained. Acting was okay but more impressive was the gore effects. That said, this was more on the gross side than scary, but still liked it. 3.75/5
Old 12-07-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Yikes, Zombie is one of the worst movies ever made, imo; boring, to boot.
Old 12-07-18, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Limehouse Golem (2016) - A well-made little thriller, but it suffers from a predictable (even though well-executed) reveal and a rather pointless, at least to me, coda.
Old 12-07-18, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Yikes, Zombie is one of the worst movies ever made, imo; boring, to boot.
lol, to each their own. I enjoyed it and I'm generally not a fan of zombie movies (or at least have grown tired of them).
Old 12-08-18, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

^Yeah, no offence. I wasn't intending to negate your opinion. It's one of those flicks whose acclaim among horror fans leaves me mystified. I'm also not generally a fan of zombie flicks, but I have seen more than a few, especially those not from this century, and Zombie is one of the worst.

I just watched Most Beautiful Island (2017), which starts out as a gritty drama about a not-so-youthful immigrant woman (played by the writer/director in a creditable performance) trying to scrape together an existence in Manhattan any way she can. This part of the movie, filmed with somewhat Dardennesian naturalism, is authentic and effective, and I was hoping it would continue on this fruitful path. But a little more than halfway through it makes an abrupt 180 and becomes a, hmm, I guess one could say quasi-horror film, that is quite effective in its own right. However, the two discrete parts are gratingly incompatible, and the movie ultimately feels conceptually hollow and half-baked. 5.5/10
Old 12-08-18, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,007 Likes on 842 Posts

Crazy Rich Asians...wow!! did I freaking love this movie. it followed every trope in the rom-com genre, but did it in such a new, fresh fashion, that you've never really seen it before. it was just magic all the way through. had a smile on face whole time. simply dazzling movie making and movie making at finest. this should and will be up for BP at Oscars. loved every minute and it will be so rewatchable. this is my second favorite movie of 2018, right behind Infinity War.

Old 12-08-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 788 Likes on 640 Posts

It was entertaining but the scene that showed the Sikh bodyguards as creepy was not right.
Old 12-08-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
^Yeah, no offence. I wasn't intending to negate your opinion. It's one of those flicks whose acclaim among horror fans leaves me mystified. I'm also not generally a fan of zombie flicks, but I have seen more than a few, especially those not from this century, and Zombie is one of the worst.
No offense taken
Old 12-08-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 851 Likes on 627 Posts

I watched Searching yesterday and I enjoyed it. It's well made and has some really good twists and turns. 3.75/5
Old 12-08-18, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,896 Likes on 2,782 Posts

Action Jackson (1988)

Watched this for free on Vudu. I had never seen this movie from start to finish. I suppose this movie was supposed to make Carl Weathers into a big action superstar and failed. I see it was a barely moderate box office performer. Barely made $20M.

It was very corny in parts.

Vanity was smoking hot back then. I found some of it entertaining and some of it cringe inducing.
Old 12-08-18, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Goosebumps. Read the books as a child in elementary school; loved the TV show when it came on YTV; looked at this movie as a potential nostalgia trip. It was okay. The concept was a bit meta. Didn't like Jack Black at first, but he grew on me as the movie progressed. Amy Ryan was good. All told, it was just an okay movie...maybe even a slightly disappointing one. I thought all three of the teen actors were completely awful. Don't intend to watch the sequel...
Old 12-09-18, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
lol, to each their own. I enjoyed it and I'm generally not a fan of zombie movies (or at least have grown tired of them).
I, too, have always loved that movie, ever since I first bought the DVD when I was working at Future Shop as a teenager. Zombie vs. Shark. Love Lucio Fulci and feel this is one of his best (his best, probably being The Beyond)...It's a solid movie...The score is also fantastic...
Old 12-09-18, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

K-19: The Widowmaker. Another movie that I was glad I only paid $5.00 for. Harrison Ford (who I generally like) gives a career worst performance in this movie. Liam Neeson is serviceable. Peter Saarsgard (I think that's how you spell his name) was also not very good. Just a stupid, stupid movie. I couldn't stand this one. Very cliched. There're tons of other way, way better submarine movies (i.e. The Hunt for Red October, Crimson Tide...even Phantom, which I think starred David Duchovny and Ed Harris)...This movie was just plain bad...And oh my God was Ford's attempt at a Russian accent horrible...
Old 12-09-18, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kind of a goofy movie. Haven't decided how I feel about it yet.

Old 12-09-18, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Goosebumps. Don't intend to watch the sequel...
Don't! It's pretty lame. I went to the cinema because my kid wanted to see it but it was very silly (not 'good' silly!)
Old 12-09-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

K-19: The Widowmaker. There're tons of other way, way better submarine movies

Old 12-09-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Piranha II: The Spawning. Okay, I actually loved this "B movie". I thought it was great. Lance Henricksen was great (albeit, one questionable character decision). I thought the movie worked, and is an adequate follow-up to Joe Dante's original movie. Had heard horrible things about this movie, but I just don't get that. It's a good movie. Maybe not an all-time great one, but a good one. The Scream Factory disc also looked great.
I love James Cameron's quip on his film: "It's one of the best flying piranha films out there!"
Old 12-09-18, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Protégé (2007)

I have a friend who is crazy about all those Hong Kong mafia and cop films and keeps try8ng to convince me of their worth. Once in a while I'll give it a go but am rarely overly impressed. This Johnnie To drama/ssuspense about an undercover cop in the drug business had some really good moments I admit. Solid performances and fine directing. Good script if not over original. Not too much pathos and melodrame as is often the case with chinese movies. Quite good overall. Except the last scene which was such a cheesy epilogue!
Old 12-09-18, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crescendo (1972)

Very forgettable Hammer suspense about a young American student (Stephanie Powers) who goes to the country house of deceased British composer to write her thesis on his music. But the family of said musician has a few secrets that slowly creep up with dire consequences.
Could have been much more suspenseful with its nice huis-clos (don't know the english word, it means all in one closed location) setup. Watchable but not essential.
Old 12-09-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

High Fidelity (2000)

Although the movie is quite good (better for me second time around) the book is a notch above. Maybe its because its set in England and the music references are more to my liking. In any case, this one is worth a check if you like rock music and were ever a little obsesive about your music choices and the art of making tapes for seducing girls!
I usually find Jack Black annoying but his character here was just beautiful in his know-it-all agressiveness and I don't care attitude.
Old 12-09-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Operation Finale (2018) — Solid performances from Oscar Isaac and Ben Kingsley in an otherwise emotionally void drama with the stretching (to say the least) of the real life drama, most notably the airport scene (like in Argo, the suspense was completely manufactured) and even changing the sex of one of the characters just to add some sort of underdeveloped romance for Isaac. 3.0/5
Old 12-09-18, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Man who Invented Christmas (2017)

Fun and inventive story of Charles Dickens and his struggle to write A Christmas Carol. Very much in the spirit of the book with good feelings overcoming the sad and bad ones. Drags a bit towards the end but still entertaining. The title refers to the success of the book which launched 'the christmas spirit' as we know it now, full of sharing and giving and friendship (or at least as it is supposed to be!).
Old 12-09-18, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Horse's Mouth (1958)

Weird but excellent Alec Guiness-written tale of excentric painter trying to survive and keep his creative liberty while surrounded by debtors and harpies trying to hamper his free temper. NIce and different.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.