Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-18, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Deep Blue Sea (1999) — When I last saw this movie, probably around 2000 or so, I didn't think much of it. Over a decade later, decided to give it another shot and loved the hell out of it. Great mixture of Jaws with Poseidon Adventure and features a great cast and one of the best death scenes. 3.75/5

(Hope Warner does a 20th Anniversary with a retrospective documentary or something)
Old 12-01-18, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman

Deep Blue Sea (1999) — When I last saw this movie, probably around 2000 or so, I didn't think much of it. Over a decade later, decided to give it another shot and loved the hell out of it. Great mixture of Jaws with Poseidon Adventure and features a great cast and one of the best death scenes. 3.75/5

(Hope Warner does a 20th Anniversary with a retrospective documentary or something)
Awesome movie. But good God, avoid the DTV sequel that was released this year...It was beyond horrible...Wasn't even good in a "so-bad-it's-good" sense...It was just awful...Doesn't hold a candle to the original...
Old 12-02-18, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Sicario: Day of the Soldado - 4.5/5

Rent this from Netflix and while I liked the first one the best I thought this was also a great flick.

Spoiler:
Thought Alejandro was really dead. Guess we see Sicario 3 maybe?
Old 12-02-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Awesome movie. But good God, avoid the DTV sequel that was released this year...It was beyond horrible...Wasn't even good in a "so-bad-it's-good" sense...It was just awful...Doesn't hold a candle to the original...
Yep. I saw that one. It was awful (and pretty much a remake).
Old 12-02-18, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kinjite: Forbiden Subjects (1989)

Lame all over. What else did I expect from Golan-Globus! For me Bronson is a one-hit wonder and that's Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West.
Old 12-02-18, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count of Monte Cristo (2003)

Fair adaptation of Dumas' book. Although they didn't change Caviezel's appearance enough from his thirteen years in prison and it made it strange that no one recognized him! Still, very watchable but hardly a 7.8 that it got on ImdB
Old 12-02-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Great way to end this Yakuza trilogy.
Old 12-02-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Outbreak. I remember first seeing this at the Drive-In Movie Theatre when I was young. I think the movie holds up pretty well. I liked Dustin Hoffman's performance (even if it was a bit "showy"), but thought that Morgan Freeman and Rene Russo were the two that really carried the movie. Donald Sutherland and Kevin Spacey were also good in their roles, as was Cuba Gooding Jr. It's a really solid "disaster" movie (Soderbergh would perfect it with his release of Contagioin, which is an even better movie about a virus spreading). I thought the direction was good and the movie was compelling throughout. Just a nice, tense movie to watch on the odd afternoon.

Patriot Games. I actually prefer the follow-up to this movie, Clear and Present Danger, but this wasn't that bad. It was an okay Tom Clancy adaptation. Sean Bean was good in his role going up against Harrison Ford. A tense even action-thriller. It's just the stakes don't feel that high compared to much of what Tom Clancy wrote...It's also a little bit long at almost two hours...It probably could've been told in an hour-and-a-half...Best bits are Ford working at the CIA to try and track the terrorists who targeted his family...
Old 12-02-18, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maelstrom (2004)

Very nice local québécois film from Denis Villeneuve before he went to Hollywood. With the always beautiful (and naked!) Marie-Josée Croze as a young woman whose posh world crumbles when she hits and kills an old man in a hit and run.
Old 12-02-18, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69

Kinjite: Forbiden Subjects (1989)

Lame all over. What else did I expect from Golan-Globus! For me Bronson is a one-hit wonder and that's Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West.
Death Wish and The Mechanic were also pretty good. Even the Death Wish sequels, while cheesy, still kind of hold up...They really aren't that bad...He was also good in a small role in Sean Penn's The Indian Runner...
Old 12-02-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Our Man in Havana (1960)

Nice farce about the absurdities of the secret service adapted from Graham Greene's book. A british vacuum cleaner salesman living in Cuba (Guinness) is recruted against his will by the secret service and starts inventing agents and enemies and doomsday weapons to get money from his employers in order to put his daughter into a good school. I remember the book was funnier but the film is very nice too.
Old 12-02-18, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Death Wish and The Mechanic were also pretty good. Even the Death Wish sequels, while cheesy, still kind of hold up...They really aren't that bad...He was also good in a small role in Sean Penn's The Indian Runner...
I can't say I was impressed by his acting in the films you mentionned. Although not bad movies, nothing like Once Upon...
Old 12-02-18, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Second time I watched it since I thought maybe I did not give it a fair shake the first time but it was boring.

Dean was much better.
While I agree with your overall assessment of Taking Woodstock (I actually loved it the first time I saw it, but in subsequent views I've found it to be a bit boring), that scene where Demetri Martin is at the press conference high on pot makes me laugh every time...I thought he was perfect in that scene...I also liked Ang Lee's use of split-screen in that movie, even though I'm not a giant fan of the movie itself...He was obviously trying to pay homage to Woodstock, and in that respect I think he did a decent job...I also thought the actors who played Martin's parents were really, really good...
Old 12-02-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
I can't say I was impressed by his acting in the films you mentionned. Although not bad movies, nothing like Once Upon...
I love Once Upon A Time in the West. Sergio Leone's best movie, in my mind...Even better (albeit slightly) than The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...Henry Fonda was amazing in the movie...
Old 12-02-18, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Hudsucker Proxy. Not one of my favourite Coen Brother movies. It's okay. Tim Robbins is good, but I really can't stand Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance (I know she was trying to emulate the actresses from Preston Sturges movies, but it just felt over the top, to me, anyway). The effects are actually pretty cool, but I prefer it when the Coens approach movies in a more serious fashion (i.e. Fargo, Miller's Crossing, Blood Simple). That doesn't mean those movies don't have humour (cause they do), but I just don't like when the Coen movies are more slapstick (see every movie they've done with Clooney)...Still glad I finally watched this, but I doubt it'll show up in my queue again anytime soon...
Old 12-02-18, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Re-watched Rocky IV free on Vudu a few nights ago.

Still cheesy, but fun. The Living in America intro to Apollo was pretty cringeworthy, but it was a product of it's time.
Old 12-02-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

A fantastic slow-burner of a film.
Old 12-02-18, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Sum of All Fears. Have to admit, I really, really enjoyed this movie. I might even rank this Jack Ryan movie above the Harrison Ford ones. Very suspenseful throughout, and I though Ben Affleck was good as a somewhat naive CIA analyst. Liev Schrieber was also good, as were Morgan Freeman and Philip Baker Hall. The movie just felt very realistic, in the sense that if the events actually happened, the American and Russian governments would act much like they did in this movie. Pleasantly surprised...

Last edited by Goonies85; 12-02-18 at 11:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-03-18, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to like these two guys because they are fire in this thing. They actually work very well with each other. Great action scenes. 4/5

Wanted so badly to love this. Hoping it was on par with Zero Dark Thirty. Love Rosamund Pike. If not for that pesky restraining order I'm sure we would live very happily together. She learned German for the role and was able to act and yell in German. Overall way too disjointed. Constant flashbacks and cutaways. During the climactic rescue cutaways completely remove any tension, immersion or excitement. Found the short featurette more interesting than the movie. 2/5
Old 12-03-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Resident Evil. Only picked this up cause it was in a $5.00 bin. Glad I only spent $5.00 on it (which, based on the awfulness of the movie, still feels like too much). What to say? This was a thoroughly horrible movie. I can't think of anything good to say about it. The acting was atrocious (as was the casting). The direction was all over the place (slo-mo, speed-up, etc.). It's ridiculous because the first three or four games in the series were actually really good, and the games themselves had decent plots. It's just strange that Paul W.S. Anderson could take that strong material and make such an absolute piece of garbage. Have never been interested in watching any of the other films in the series, and after this I will definitely avoid them...
Old 12-03-18, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Resident Evil. Only picked this up cause it was in a $5.00 bin. Glad I only spent $5.00 on it (which, based on the awfulness of the movie, still feels like too much). What to say? This was a thoroughly horrible movie. I can't think of anything good to say about it. The acting was atrocious (as was the casting). The direction was all over the place (slo-mo, speed-up, etc.). It's ridiculous because the first three or four games in the series were actually really good, and the games themselves had decent plots. It's just strange that Paul W.S. Anderson could take that strong material and make such an absolute piece of garbage. Have never been interested in watching any of the other films in the series, and after this I will definitely avoid them...
Awful? Thoroughly horrible? Obviously to each their own opinion but I thought Mila was good and apocalyptic vibe was carried off very well. In other words, it worked for me!
Old 12-03-18, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Hudsucker Proxy. Not one of my favourite Coen Brother movies. It's okay. Tim Robbins is good, but I really can't stand Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance (I know she was trying to emulate the actresses from Preston Sturges movies, but it just felt over the top, to me, anyway). The effects are actually pretty cool, but I prefer it when the Coens approach movies in a more serious fashion (i.e. Fargo, Miller's Crossing, Blood Simple). That doesn't mean those movies don't have humour (cause they do), but I just don't like when the Coen movies are more slapstick (see every movie they've done with Clooney)...Still glad I finally watched this, but I doubt it'll show up in my queue again anytime soon...
I agree with you that the Hudsucker Proxy wasn't particularly accomplished for a Coen bros film but I think it mostly was because of it being their first 'Hollywood Studio' approved project. Not as much liberty as with their other projects. Same thing happened with Ladykillers which was more a command than a proper Coen film. I can see some not liking the slapstick bits but although I love their serious work I also totally love their funnier ones. Clooney plays a really good 'idiot'.
Old 12-03-18, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Au revoir les enfants (1987)

Sad Louis Malle WW2 film about a group of kids in a board school in the French countryside during the war. A few of their colleagues are jews hiding under false identities. Their town being occupied by german soldiers and the militia (french officials who collaborated with the Germans) things might get hairy for the children.
Moving story (culled from his childhood memories) but not Malle's best.
Old 12-03-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Very tepid biopic of Queen and Freddy Mercury. Never really takes off and moves us. NOt horrible but forgettable. I'm not a huge Queen fan but they deserved a better film.
Old 12-03-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Millenium Actress (2003)

Never was a big anime fan and this although original in its direction was a bit of a bore for me. Story of retired actress who tells her story to a fan/journalist.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.