Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
re: Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

As a kid Harley was basically a clone of her Dad:

Old 04-30-20, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I guess I am not familiar enough with Smith's life, cuz I would assume that means he has never written a decent script.
Despite Silent Bob being a weed smoker, Smith didn't start smoking until about 10 years ago. According to him it was Seth Rogen on Zack and Miri that got him into it.
Old 05-02-20, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Despite Silent Bob being a weed smoker, Smith didn't start smoking until about 10 years ago. According to him it was Seth Rogen on Zack and Miri that got him into it.
Fuck Seth Rogen for that. I just watched Dogma the other day and it still holds up pretty well and is still an amazingly thoughtful and layered movie. He went from Clerks (which is now in the National Film Registry), Chasing Amy (which got a Criterion release) and Dogma (which was the most controversial religious film since The Last Temptation of Christ) to Yoga Hosers. I love Kevin Smith. He's my favorite filmmaker--and yes, I'm well aware he's not Kubrick. But, I've never seen movies that spoke to me in a way that Smith's output in the 90s did. Despite the weed, Kevin Smith is a witty guy and if he'd just put down the bong, I think he could make a movie of the caliber of his stuff from the 90s.
Old 01-14-21, 08:36 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I started writing CLERKS III on December 28th and just finished the 101 page first draft last night! But the writing doesn’t begin when you start tapping the keys: I’ve been stirring this stew in my brain pan for awhile now. So when I sat down to put years of daydreaming into actual words, the typing part of the writing process was pretty brisk. Fake New Jersey (or what I’ve long called the View Askewniverse) has been so much more preferable to visit than the real world lately - but I’ve told the tale I wanted to tell, so it’s time to step back, hand the script off to a trusted few, and then tinker further based on the feedback. For those keeping score anymore, this is actually Clerks III v.2. I had written a different version of Clerks III about 6 years back - one which I’m now very happy we never made (although I used the opening scene for @jayandsilentbob Reboot). This is a much more personal story than the previous incarnation, drawing directly on the heart attack that nearly killed me (3 years ago next month). It was oddly triggering writing those scenes, as it was the first time in awhile I contemplated how close I came to shuffling lose this mortal coil. But far more than make me mindful of my own mortality, this script to Clerks III makes me laugh out loud. Dante, Randal, Elias, Becky, Jay and Silent Bob are all back, and the premise of the flick allows anyone who was in Clerks or Clerks II to return in some capacity. After a bummer of a 2020, this is how I want to spend some of 2021: at @quickstopgroceries in New Jersey where it all began, with friends and family. And when we finally roll cameras on Clerks III, I will know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I *am* supposed to be there that day! #KevinSmith #clerks3 #clerks #clerks2

I hate MCR, so I’m already turned off.
Old 01-14-21, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I'll believe it when I actually see it.
Old 01-14-21, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

I hate to admit I cringed reading those opening paragraphs, but I love the Dante and Randall characters so much I really hope for this to get made and see them again.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (01-19-21)
Old 01-14-21, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I also love the Dante and Randall characters. I really wish the animated series had kept going a little longer. Seems that would have been a more cost effective way to keep telling those stories.
The following 2 users liked this post by milo bloom:
John Pannozzi (01-19-21), Nesbit (01-15-21)
Old 01-14-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I generally enjoyed the View Askewniverse (minus Jay and Silent Bob Reboot, which was garbage) so I will probably end up watching this if it ever actually comes to fruition. I was still holding out hope for Mallrats 2.
Old 01-14-21, 07:29 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I hate MCR, so I’m already turned off.
I had to look up what MCR was. As soon as it popped up, I groaned.
Old 01-14-21, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

So what is mcr?
A band I guess.
Old 01-14-21, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
So what is mcr?
A band I guess.
My Chemical Romance. You’ve probably heard the song in question as well.

I read those first paragraphs. They’re not great but it’s literally just the first 5 seconds of the movie (first draft, no less). Let’s all just calm down.

And I’m not even that big of a K.S. fan or Clerks fan.
John Pannozzi (01-19-21)
Old 01-15-21, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
I generally enjoyed the View Askewniverse (minus Jay and Silent Bob Reboot, which was garbage) so I will probably end up watching this if it ever actually comes to fruition. I was still holding out hope for Mallrats 2.
The first 20 minutes were rough, very rough, but I think it came around by the end once it became his own thing and not cribbing jokes and simple callbacks from previous movies. Overall though, it still comes in near the bottom if you were to rate Smiths entire filmography.

Originally Posted by KevinSmith
so it’s time to step back, hand the script off to a trusted few, and then tinker further based on the feedback.

Hopefully he's giving it to some people that will give him honest feedback. Seems like that's what Reboot was missing, a few more passes in the script stage.
John Pannozzi (01-19-21)
Old 01-16-21, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

The first half of the Reboot was rough but I really enjoyed the second half a lot. His output post Clerks 2 has been odd. Zack and Miri was great, Red State was forgettable, Cop Out was forgettable, Tusk is one of the most disturbing horror movies I've ever seen (and I love horror) and I consider it a now cult classic but I don't think others share that opinion, I never saw Yoga Hosers, and the Reboot was flawed but good. As mentioned, Smith really needs a good editor and someone to tell him that everything he puts on paper isn't gold (kinda like Tarintino). I loved both Clerks 1 and 2 and the series seems to be the most personal to him, so I have faith that this will be a good.

I'm really intrigued to see what this "Killroy Was Here" movie is all about.
John Pannozzi (01-19-21)
Old 01-16-21, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts

Reboot was better the second time around for me. Mewes and Smith looked so different that I couldn’t get beyond their looks until close to the ending of my first watch through.

No one reads Smiths’ dialogue like Jeff Anderson so it’ll have that going for it at least.
John Pannozzi (01-19-21)
Old 01-16-21, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
Tusk is one of the most disturbing horror movies I've ever seen (and I love horror) and I consider it a now cult classic but I don't think others share that opinion.
I was genuinely shocked by how horrific and heartbreaking the walrus sequences in Tusk were. I admire the movie, though think the Johnny Depp parts sabotage it quite a bit.
Old 01-16-21, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I was genuinely shocked by how horrific and heartbreaking the walrus sequences in Tusk were. I admire the movie, though think the Johnny Depp parts sabotage it quite a bit.
I agree about Depp in "Tusk", -those scenes belong in a "different" movie. I'm also ambivalent about playing the original radio discussion of the concept over the end credits. It's interesting, and would be great as a "bonus feature, but it sort of sabotages the film to some extent (much like playing the outtakes of Peter Sellers during the end credits of "Being There").

Last edited by DWilson; 01-19-21 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-17-21, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bchbdaddy
I had to look up what MCR was. As soon as it popped up, I groaned.
Same here. Just seeing him reference a song like this right off the bat for the script shows to me that as a film maker he continues to fight against evolving and growing. Hs seems to be eternally stuck as a teenage nerd with bad taste. I cannot believe another poster said he is their favorite film maker. His movies age so badly its incredible and the fact he sticks his weird looking daughter (she reminds me of Alice the Goon from the Popeye cartoon) in all his movies is plain annoying.
Old 01-17-21, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

The main thing I took away from the Jay and Silent Bob reboot is that the film he should have made instead, is Chasing Amy 2. Best scene in the whole movie by a wide margin.
Old 02-24-21, 08:17 AM

Old 02-24-21, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
As a kid Harley was basically a clone of her Dad:
I know this post was from a year ago, but yeah, you're right:

Old 07-19-21, 11:47 AM

I may need to take a drive over to the Quick Stop to check this out when filming.
EXCLUSIVE: Lionsgate has acquired worldwide rights to Kevin Smith’s Clerks III, which is currently in pre-production in New Jersey and will begin production next month.

Smith has written the screenplay and will direct, with all major cast members set to reprise their roles: Jeff Anderson as Randal, Brian O’Halloran as Dante, Jay Mewes as Jay, Smith as Silent Bob, and Rosario Dawson as Becky. The film will be produced by Liz Destro and Jordan Monsanto.

In Clerks III, following a massive heart attack, Randal enlists fellow clerks Dante, Elias, Jay, and Silent Bob to make a movie immortalizing his life at the convenience store that started it all.

Smith said, “There’s a saying from the Tao that goes something like ‘To be great is to go on. To go on is to go far. To go far is to return.’ Thanks to Lionsgate, we get to return to where it all started with almost the whole cast that started it all! And for the first time since the first time we ever made a movie in 1993, we’re shooting the entire flick on location in New Jersey, as an ode to both the enduring allure of cinema and the resourcefulness and lunacy of its storytellers. Years ago, Dante and Randal made me a filmmaker – so now it’s time I return the favor.”

Eda Kowan, EVP, Acquisitions and Co-Productions for Lionsgate, added, “The Clerks movies are audience favorites and many of Kevin’s films, like Dogma, Red State, and the Jay and Silent Bob Reboot are a beloved part of our library that continues to delight Kevin’s devoted fans. We’re thrilled to be presenting the next chapter in the Clerks saga to moviegoers worldwide.”
https://deadline.com/2021/07/clerks-...te-1234795715/

CLERKS III SHOOTS NEXT MONTH!!!
There is a line in the Tao that goes...
“To be great is to go on.
To go on is to go far.
To go far is to return.”
My birthday is August 2. And @lionsgate just gave me the best gift I could ever ask for: the money to make another sequel to my debut film! Dante! Randal! Jay! Silent Bob! Becky! Elias! Veronica! Emma! The characters from both Clerks and Clerks II return with me to the scene of the crime at the little store that started it all: Leonardo’s legendary @quickstopgroceries! @briancohalloran, #jeffanderson, @jaymewes, @rosariodawson, @marilynghigliotti, @jenschwalbach, and #trevorfehrman are ready to remind folks that just because they serve you, doesn’t mean they like you. In the story this time, I give Randal the heart attack that almost killed me. But rather than succumb to the reality of middle age, Randal rages against the dying light by telling the story of his life in an indie film he shoots with his fellow clerks at Quick Stop! 27 years ago, I made a movie about Dante and Randal that made my dreams come true and changed my life - so now I get to return the favor! Big thanks to producers @jordanmonsanto and @destrofilms for putting it all together, and to #lionsgate for believing in the flick! Wanna wear your excitement for Clerks III on your chest? We’re selling t-shirts to commemorate the big occasion at @jayandsilentbobstash! Join us over at #thatkevinsmithclub to see exclusive behind-the-scenes, making-of videos all summer long! It took awhile to get here and oftentimes it felt like we’d never enjoy this moment. Passion is key to any creative endeavor, but patience and persistence are just as essential. And now, for the first time since the first time I ever made a movie in 1993, I’ll be shooting an entire feature film in the cradle of civilization - the great state of #newjersey! This is dream-come-true country, Kids! In 2019, we revisited the #viewaskewniverse with @jayandsilentbob Reboot; but in 2022, I assure you, the #askewniverse is reopened for business! #KevinSmith #clerks3 #lionsgatefilms
John Pannozzi (07-19-21)
Old 07-19-21, 12:47 PM

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts
Clerks 3

From Kevin Smith's Facebook Page (cannot link from this PC)

CLERKS III SHOOTS NEXT MONTH!!!

There is a line in the Tao that goes...

“To be great is to go on.

To go on is to go far.

To go far is to return.”

My birthday is August 2. And @lionsgate just gave me the best gift I could ever ask for: the money to make another sequel to my debut film! Dante! Randal! Jay! Silent Bob! Becky! Elias! Veronica! Emma! The characters from both Clerks and Clerks II return with me to the scene of the crime at the little store that started it all: Leonardo’s legendary @quickstopgroceries! @briancohalloran, #jeffanderson, @jaymewes, @rosariodawson, @marilynghigliotti, @jenschwalbach, and #trevorfehrman are ready to remind folks that just because they serve you, doesn’t mean they like you. In the story this time, I give Randal the heart attack that almost killed me. But rather than succumb to the reality of middle age, Randal rages against the dying light by telling the story of his life in an indie film he shoots with his fellow clerks at Quick Stop! 27 years ago, I made a movie about Dante and Randal that made my dreams come true and changed my life - so now I get to return the favor! Big thanks to producers @jordanmonsanto and @destrofilms for putting it all together, and to #lionsgate for believing in the flick! Wanna wear your excitement for Clerks III on your chest? We’re selling t-shirts to commemorate the big occasion at @jayandsilentbobstash! Join us over at #thatkevinsmithclub to see exclusive behind-the-scenes, making-of videos all summer long! It took awhile to get here and oftentimes it felt like we’d never enjoy this moment. Passion is key to any creative endeavor, but patience and persistence are just as essential. And now, for the first time since the first time I ever made a movie in 1993, I’ll be shooting an entire feature film in the cradle of civilization - the great state of #newjersey! This is dream-come-true country, Kids! In 2019, we revisited the #viewaskewniverse with @jayandsilentbob Reboot; but in 2022, I assure you, the #askewniverse is reopened for business! #KevinSmith #clerks3 #lionsgatefilms
John Pannozzi (08-20-21)
Old 07-19-21, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It seems weird for Kevin to give his obesity caused heart attack to Randal who is pretty thin, but I guess thin people can have heart attacks too. I could see it happening to Dante more though. I'm sure he know what he's doing though.

Is the "pillow pants" guy coming back? That character was my one big problem in Clerks 2. Basically Randal was bullying an autistic kid from what I remember.
Old 07-19-21, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I'm not sure about this. The first was groundbreaking and the second was a great closure IMHO. But I guess it's his most recognizable franchise in the ViewAskew-verse so that's what gets funding/
John Pannozzi (08-20-21)
Old 07-19-21, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by windom
Is the "pillow pants" guy coming back? That character was my one big problem in Clerks 2. Basically Randal was bullying an autistic kid from what I remember.
Unfortunately, yes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.