Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Old 07-21-23, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 997 Likes on 711 Posts
Re: Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Just watched this, this evening. Like some others here, it hit me pretty hard, probably due to circumstances in my personal life, lately. I'm glad I chose to watch it when my wife was at work.

As much as some of it was difficult, I generally enjoyed it, and liked all the return cameos.

Though I've enjoyed his work, I didn't think all that much of Brian O'Halloran as an actor, as he always felt forced. However, I thought he really knocked out this performance, particularly toward the end of the movie.

Also, I had forgotten, until the credits rolled, that Lisa Spoonauer (Caitlin) had passed away in 2017.
Old 07-21-23, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 894 Likes on 632 Posts

Both Anderson and O'Halloran had multiple scenes that just blew me away. It made me question that I was actually watching a Smith film.
Old 07-23-23, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 370 Likes on 275 Posts

I started watching this a few months ago. I laughed at some stuff but a lot was cringe material. Maybe I need to finish it or start over. I wasn’t that impressed and I loved the first one.
Old 07-23-23, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 810 Likes on 565 Posts

I didn't expect this to be a fully mature movie given the history of Clerks, but I thought Smith would've toned down the childish humor to some degree.
Elias and his silent friend bring a lot of unfunny moments which bordered on embarrassing.

O'Halloran's performance was ok, but I found it needed more nuance - especially his rant at the end. He gets credit because you would almost expect a bad performance - so anything better than that gets mistaken for amazing. The ending he basically memorized his lines and screamed them while trying to convey emotion, but there were many moments there that needed some subtlety and better timing to give it a realistic feel. Acting is more than just going from 0-100 in 2 seconds and keeping it in high gear the whole time.
Old 10-12-23, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,104 Likes on 2,009 Posts

Finally got around to watching this. The emotional stuff was really good and probably the best Smith has done, also the best acting from O’Halloran and Anderson in any of these movies. A+ stuff.

The rest was pretty bad. I didn’t think any of the humor (particularly the religious guy) worked at all. Most of the acting and dialogue was pretty cringeworthy. And the meta stuff went on way too long and took up more of the movie than it should have.
The following users liked this post:
Dvdlovr24 (10-13-23)