Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Old 12-16-15, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

The negatives amount to the story which is full of "remember when you first saw this? Remember how cool that was? well here it is again with a slight spin"
Part reboot/ part remake is as huge a spoiler as you need to know going in to adjust your expectations.
But then being Abrams, people should have been expecting this...especially with all the familiar iconography on display right down to the death starry looking thing on the one sheets.
If you were hoping for a narrative to blast off in new directions worthy of those visuals in the trailers and TV spots, you might be disappointed.

OTOH, I'm seeing nothing but praise for the new characters. People, even ones that have issues with the story, like them quite a bit and that is a huge leap over the prequel experience.
If they can shake the "been there/done that" with the next two films, then the new trilogy should be a clear net success.
Old 12-16-15, 07:16 AM

Received 4,556 Likes on 3,091 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

<iframe width="512" height="288" src="http://www.hulu.com/embed.html?eid=spr0rby9c2bbgkuty4wnpg&partner=ew&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hulu.com%2Fwatch%2F884214" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-16-15, 07:23 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Love Paul's pre-review, as if he doesn't even need to see the movie to know how to fix the sequels. It's rather uncanny.
Old 12-16-15, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Brack, do you know/realize just how much of TFA cribs from the OT?
Old 12-16-15, 07:36 AM

Nope, since I'm not hip to what "cribs" means? Is that slang for borrows or imitates?
Old 12-16-15, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Brack, do you know/realize just how much of TFA cribs from the OT?
You base this On what? The poster?
Old 12-16-15, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You base this On what? The poster?
Well, I had my suspicions based on all the old familiar iconography that has been on display all along (tie fighters, x-wings, stormtroopers...all tweaked slightly but by and large comfortingly familiar)

add to that Abrams track record as a filmmaker who seems to love to revisit good stuff that he enjoyed in his youth, but tweaking it so that it is supposedly new ("KAHHHHHNNNNN!")

and this was confirmed from reading just two reviews that don't recite a plot blow by blow synopsis, but do drop a few plot points

Spoiler:
- another death star but bigger and more powerful than the last two, of course
- another ground assault team that needs to breech a power generator protecting it
- more stolen plans hid in a cute whimsical droid (guess which one)
- another orphan on a desert planet with hidden powers she doesn't realize she has

Will be interesting to see how much that list will grow once people actually see the film.
And I do believe there is a big difference between a homage and plagerism.
I can just imagine what it was like for Lucas to sit in an audience watching people responding enthusiastically to material he basically already created almost 40 years ago, but that now has someone else's name attached to it like they created it out of whole cloth.
Old 12-16-15, 08:08 AM

Well as long as the script is good, then it can be said they created it out of whole cloth, since he hasn't written a really good script since the original Star Wars.
Old 12-16-15, 09:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Has it been mentioned how long the IMAX sequences are? Or is it just one sequence?
Old 12-16-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I knew there was going to be a lot of callbacks to the original film. A lot of things have hinted at that the entire time. I guess I don't really see it as an issue either if the film is good.
Old 12-16-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Another obvious ripoff homage of the original film...

Spoiler:
Said droid carrying vital piece of info gets captured by tiny desert scavenger who plans to sell him for profit.

I'm positive there's a lot more recycled shit like this in the movie, but you get the idea.
It's like poetry... every stanza kinda rhymes with the last one.
Old 12-16-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I'm positive there's a lot more recycled shit like this in the movie, but you get the idea.[/spoiler]It's like poetry... every stanza kinda rhymes with the last one.
Well...speaking of recycled shit.

Spoiler:
I can see why the made the decision to killed off the EU content.....because they borrow elements from some of the novels.
Old 12-16-15, 10:32 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

FYI, The Phantom Menace was full of call backs and references too.
Old 12-16-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ True, but nothing that blatant. It didn't completely copy entire scenes... the closest was blowing up the droid control ship (at least there was no trench run) and the victory celebration at the end.
Old 12-16-15, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Well...speaking of recycled shit.

Spoiler:
I can see why the made the decision to killed off the EU content.....because they borrow elements from some of the novels.

What did they borrow from the EU novels? I can only think of:
Spoiler:
Vader grandson going bad like Jacen Solo. Other than that, it seems totally different form the EU.
Old 12-16-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
What did they borrow from the EU novels? I can only think of:
Spoiler:
Vader grandson going bad like Jacen Solo. Other than that, it seems totally different form the EU.
Spoiler:

Starkiller base is basically the Sun Crusher from the Jedi Academy Series.
Luke starts an academy (which was expected) which also happens in the novels.
The Kylo Ren character is really a combination of Ben Skywalker + Jacen Solo and maybe Kyp Durron
Rey's mind wipe/mental block. That's KOTR related.
Old 12-16-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

ok, that's it. i'm out of this thread. the desire to click is too great. Later!
Old 12-16-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Yeah me too. Its too tempting to click on the spoiler tags but I want to go in not knowing much and only have to wait until tomorrow night.
Old 12-16-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

There should really be a Star Wars lore thread
Old 12-16-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Well, I had my suspicions based on all the old familiar iconography that has been on display all along (tie fighters, x-wings, stormtroopers...all tweaked slightly but by and large comfortingly familiar)

add to that Abrams track record as a filmmaker who seems to love to revisit good stuff that he enjoyed in his youth, but tweaking it so that it is supposedly new ("KAHHHHHNNNNN!")

and this was confirmed from reading just two reviews that don't recite a plot blow by blow synopsis, but do drop a few plot points

Will be interesting to see how much that list will grow once people actually see the film.
I can just imagine what it was like for Lucas to sit in an audience watching people responding enthusiastically to material he basically already created almost 40 years ago, but that now has someone else's name attached to it like they created it out of whole cloth.
Damnit, spoiler that shit! I didn't need to know that Khan was in this movie!

I understand it can be hard to watch other people take over something that you created and poured your heart and soul into. However, as for Lucas sitting back and watching, isn't that what he has gotten fat off of for the last 40 years? He didn't write any of those novels or comic books or video games or ... It's just that he doesn't get the final stamp of approval on the cash printing machine anymore.
Old 12-16-15, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

SW and ESB are great films. RotJ is a flawed as hell. I hated the PT.

Not a SW fan at all. I just like good movies. And I'm pretty pumped for this too.
Old 12-16-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Huh?
Originally Posted by Brack
Luke dropped his light saber in Empire. No way that's a thing.
Guh?

Seriously just let it go. You either misspoke or you're wrong. Either way, move on?
Old 12-16-15, 03:30 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
^ True, but nothing that blatant. It didn't completely copy entire scenes... the closest was blowing up the droid control ship (at least there was no trench run) and the victory celebration at the end.
Going through the planet core was like Empire when they fly into the asteroid creature's mouth, numerous people "have a bad feeling about this", they go to Tatooine, the wise eldest Jedi gets killed by the bad guy Sith, Palpatine's guards are a call back to his red guards from ROTJ, that's just off the top of my head.

AOTC had even more.

My point is that the presence or lack of call backs, references, fan service, whatever you want to call it, does not in itself indicate anything regarding quality.
Old 12-16-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Going through the planet core was like Empire when they fly into the asteroid creature's mouth, numerous people "have a bad feeling about this", they go to Tatooine, the wise eldest Jedi gets killed by the bad guy Sith, Palpatine's guards are a call back to his red guards from ROTJ, that's just off the top of my head.

AOTC had even more.

My point is that the presence or lack of call backs, references, fan service, whatever you want to call it, does not in itself indicate anything regarding quality.
I know very little about this film, only a few general plot points.
Nothing you cited is anywhere close to how TFA "references" it's sequences, nor how they fit into the service of the film as a whole.
If I simply say two words-
Spoiler:
remake/reboot
, that's pretty much all you need to know. Nothing will be much of a surprise after that and everything will succumb to a "oh I see what you did there, Abrams" reaction.

This doesn't seem to bother most (all?) reviewers who seem to be very happy that the film has zip and pep and light-on-it's-feet humor, along with some enjoyably charismatic new characters.

Not having seen the film, on basic principle I'm not keen on what Abrams has done just because it is creatively lazy to the Nth degree.

OTOH, maybe this is exactly what needed to be done since Lucas had poisoned the OT well so thoroughly over the last 20+ years with his endless tinkering and 'fans are the problem' attitude.

Now everyone, young and old, can go forward- all on the same page and just ignore the OT for all intents and purposes since so much of it will be
Spoiler:
redundant
Old 12-16-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 306 Posts

I'm done with this thread until Saturday lol... See ya!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.